Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they're out there though - this ain't just fan boy crap. That's all I'm saying.

cepstrum

Shqiptar i Qart
Reaction score
All these articles claim the rumors are not likely to happen. The funny thing is that draftexpress started both Marion rumors this summer and they spread like wildfires despite continuously being shot down by personnel from both teams. I wonder if Jonathan Givony's sources are credible or if he is just exagurating conversations between teams.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cepstrum said:
I wonder if Jonathan Givony's sources are credible or if he is just exagurating conversations between teams.

I think it's more likely that Givony's sources either:

a) Don't know the whole story
b) Are making assumptions based on very tertiary or hypothetical conversations
c) Lying through their teeth (which is par for the course for a lot of scouts)

I wouldn't be so quick to impugn JG's reputation, but I do think anyone who reports on so many rumors is listening to a lot of people who aren't directly involved in the conversations. I say this only based on my own personal experience as a member of the sports media.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I think it's more likely that Givony's sources either:

a) Don't know the whole story
b) Are making assumptions based on very tertiary or hypothetical conversations
c) Lying through their teeth (which is par for the course for a lot of scouts)

I wouldn't be so quick to impugn JG's reputation, but I do think anyone who reports on so many rumors is listening to a lot of people who aren't directly involved in the conversations. I say this only based on my own personal experience as a member of the sports media.

And, of course, its draft week, which should be officially called "Disinformation Week" in the NBA. Everyone is trying to start rumors to divert attention from what they really want to do in the draft.

scoutmasterdave

Board Certified Suns Fan
Reaction score
Here's a recently posted update from DraftExpress:

Seattle-Phoenix Trade Update

According to what we’ve been told over the past few days, the Seattle-Phoenix (Shawn Marion/Rashard Lewis +#10) trade did and still does have legs. But team sources we spoke to describe it as just one of many “contingency plans” they are working on this week as they attempt to build as many different draft scenarios as they can to try and plan ahead for what is sure to be an unpredictable draft.

This specific contingency plan was most certainly on the table and may have weakened a bit since it leaked, but is still an option on draft night if certain players on are or off the board for both teams. Players who must be off the board include Shelden Williams and Randy Foye for Seattle, while Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer must be on. Another player that the Sonics are warming up to lately is Saer Sene, but there is no guarantee he will be around at #21 if they trade down.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1374

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Why in the world would Seattle want Sene when they already have two "project" big men plus Wilcox? That doesn't make any sense.

sunsfn

Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

According to what we’ve been told over the past few days, the Seattle-Phoenix (Shawn Marion/Rashard Lewis +#10) trade did and still does have legs. But team sources we spoke to describe it as just one of many “contingency plans” they are working on this week as they attempt to build as many different draft scenarios as they can to try and plan ahead for what is sure to be an unpredictable draft.

This specific contingency plan was most certainly on the table and may have weakened a bit since it leaked, but is still an option on draft night if certain players on are or off the board for both teams. Players who must be off the board include Shelden Williams and Randy Foye for Seattle, while Rodney Carney or Ronnie Brewer must be on. Another player that the Sonics are warming up to lately is Saer Sene, but there is no guarantee he will be around at #21 if they trade down.

Just a note about the draft pick. In the other write up he says that it is #27, in this he says #21. It may be a mistake on his part, but it is actually a major change in the trade as I see it. There is a chance to get a decent player at #21, at #27 it is like the suns said, a crap shoot.

sunsfn

Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
Why in the world would Seattle want Sene when they already have two "project" big men plus Wilcox? That doesn't make any sense.

I'm with you on that. Even if they wanted him, they most certainly would not take him at #10.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

I was just coming here to post this. You beat me to it.

Its pretty clear that the "sources" are all on the Seattle side. If we ARE in talks, the Suns are in the driver's seat and are pushing for more.

Just a prelimary observation on Sarver.

He seems to be more of a hard driving negotiator than JC was. JC created an atmosphere where players wanted to come and typically over-paid for the players that he wanted. He also often gave up more in trades than he should have. He would allow too much protection on picks he received and would trade picks away too easily.
He was a fantastic judge of talent though, and tended to make up for it in that category.

I am getting the impression that Sarver is going to push to get everything out of a trade that he can.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

Its pretty clear that the "sources" are all on the Seattle side. If we ARE in talks, the Suns are in the driver's seat and are pushing for more.

He seems to be more of a hard driving negotiator than JC was. JC created an atmosphere where players wanted to come and typically over-paid for the players that he wanted. He also often gave up more in trades than he should have. He would allow too much protection on picks he received and would trade picks away too easily.
He was a fantastic judge of talent though, and tended to make up for it in that category.

I am getting the impression that Sarver is going to push to get everything out of a trade that he can.

I'll agree that Sarver seems to have a better handle on the economics of basketball, but I doubt he is as involved in the day-to-day operations as Jerry Colangelo was. JC was first a basketball guy. Sarver has to place more trust in basketball ops by neccesity, and is primarily concerned about budgets, income, and expenses. He's more than a bean counter, but I seriously doubt it's Sarver on the phone swinging deals and talking players. The only time I can see Sarver being directly involved in this is when D'Antoni wants to actually pull the trigger and presents his boss with the financial breakdown.

sunsfn

Reaction score
JCSunsfan said:

I am not sure I agree with this.
Sarver is not an experienced NBA person. He no doubt has the final say on trades, but he has to go along with what D'Antoni wants to do if it meets the $ criteria. Sarver has no idea what a certain player would bring to the suns until D'Antoni explained it to him. Sarver just made D'Antoni the new GM, so I would think that if there is a person to make the trades harder it would be D'Antoni not Sarver. Also remember that JC is still involved and it would seem to me that Sarver will lean on him for some answers to the decisions about new players coming to the suns either in trades or the draft.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sunsfn, I might not agree either, I am just kind of making a preliminary observation. We'll see.

BTW, BillsC, I like the "hellboy" nick, but that picture of Amare is hideous. Something about the hair on the back of the head with the bald top. Looks kind of like Amare at 50 years old, with two ice cream cones stuck to his head.

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Something about the hair on the back of the head with the bald top. Looks kind of like Amare at 50 years old, with two ice cream cones stuck to his head.

:biglaugh: really, that pic is jupid!

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
scoutmasterdave said:

In other words

"OUR SOURCES WERE OFF BASE AND WE ARE TRYING IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY TO SAY THERE WILL BE NO TRADE"

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
In other words

"OUR SOURCES WERE OFF BASE AND WE ARE TRYING IN THE BEST POSSIBLE WAY TO SAY THERE WILL BE NO TRADE"

CYA, baby. CYA.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Per ESPN Insider:
Finally, it's time to put to bed one rumor: The deal had the Sonics sending the No. 10 pick, Rashard Lewis and Danny Fortson to the Suns for Shawn Marion and the No. 27 pick.

Sources in both Seattle and Phoenix told me the rumor was totally bogus. While there has been some discussion about the Suns moving up to get No. 10, I'm told by both sides that Lewis and Marion never entered the conversation.

But here's what makes this deal fall apart. Fortson sued Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo for calling him a "thug" after Fortson hammered Zarko Cabarkapa on a layup.

Fortson lost the case, but I can pretty much guarantee you that Fortson will never wear a Suns uniform or have his contract bought out by Phoenix.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Espo said:
Per ESPN Insider:
Finally, it's time to put to bed one rumor: The deal had the Sonics sending the No. 10 pick, Rashard Lewis and Danny Fortson to the Suns for Shawn Marion and the No. 27 pick.

Sources in both Seattle and Phoenix told me the rumor was totally bogus. While there has been some discussion about the Suns moving up to get No. 10, I'm told by both sides that Lewis and Marion never entered the conversation.

But here's what makes this deal fall apart. Fortson sued Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo for calling him a "thug" after Fortson hammered Zarko Cabarkapa on a layup.

Fortson lost the case, but I can pretty much guarantee you that Fortson will never wear a Suns uniform or have his contract bought out by Phoenix.

OK, so it's Barbs/#27 for #10? I don't like that. Barbs/#21/#27 for Ridnour/#10 would make me happy, though....

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
boisesuns said:
Looks like Boston made some calls about Marion as well.

And it's almost funny to think what Ainge would think Boston has that Phoenix would want -- and would work under the cap. It would have to involve either Pierce, or Scuzzy + another player + a pick. Not only would Phoenix never pull the trigger on something like that, it doesn't make Boston that much better.

Ainge's time is running out there. I figure he'll get fired just in time to interview for the Knicks GM job.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
Ainge's time is running out there. I figure he'll get fired just in time to interview for the Knicks GM job.
I don't think so. The Celtics were in the same sinking boat as Philly and New York when he got there, and now they're in a much better situation than those teams.

Ainge isn't serious with these calls; he's just trying to satisfy Paul Pierce. When everybody has turned him down, he'll call in PP and say, "see, the #7 isn't worth that much, we can't get anybody who'll help", then use the pick to get another young talent, like he was planning to do all along...

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I don't think so. The Celtics were in the same sinking boat as Philly and New York when he got there, and now they're in a much better situation than those teams.

Ainge isn't serious with these calls; he's just trying to satisfy Paul Pierce. When everybody has turned him down, he'll call in PP and say, "see, the #7 isn't worth that much, we can't get anybody who'll help", then use the pick to get another young talent, like he was planning to do all along...

I suppose it's helpful to be a GM in the Eastern Conference with a team that can spend money. Some of his trades have boggled the mind, if not actually made the team worse -- more just a trade for the sake of making a trade.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Gaddabout said:
I suppose it's helpful to be a GM in the Eastern Conference with a team that can spend money.
On the other hand, Ainge wasn't allowed to go into deep rebuilding, like the Bulls and Nuggets did. :shrug:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05