Phoenix, Seattle Closing in on Deal?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Since when have the Suns been able to keep big trades secret?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
it just seems like there's an awful amount of smoke swirling around Marion. Like I said, it'll be an interesting couple days.

There was last offseason too but yet somehow he stayed on the team. Taking rumors for what they are RUMORS

More then likely he'll still be on the team next year

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
and you think the Suns would let a possible Marion trade slip out and get screwed like they did letting a trade slip out early again, like they did last year with Knicks? I think that's highley unlikely. Especially if what Sunstzu says is ture about Coro getting all of his info from everyone BUT the Suns.

If they let news out on trade last offseason, how do you think they're going to keep quiet on a trade this year? Thats a leap in logic like I've never seen before

I think you are just at the point that you want Marion traded so badly that you're just trying to will it to happen.

Last edited:

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Take this for what its worth but both Griffin and Paul Coro have said that the rumors are false and that Marion will be on the team next year. Griffin said that if they weren't overwhelmed the're not going to trade him and that is unlikely to happen this offseason

Griffin also mentioned names as to who impressed them during draft workouts: Rodriguez, Rondo, and Brown.

So this rumor appears to have been killed like many before it

Griffin said that, but that's not what Paul Coro said. He Said every year there are marion rumors, and they start from outside. Didn't say if these rumors were any more likely, did say luxury issues could impact moves.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ever since Marion signed his extention there have been rumors of him being traded.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
There was last offseason too but yet somehow he stayed on the team. Taking rumors for what they are RUMORS

More then likely he'll still be on the team next year

[sigh] this one just seemed so doable and beneficial.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Griffin also mentioned names as to who impressed them during draft workouts: Rodriguez, Rondo, and Brown.

I am hoping this is disinformation and that is all.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
If they let news out on trade last offseason, how do you think they're going to keep quiet on a trade this year? Thats a leap in logic like I've never seen before

I think you are just at the point that you want Marion traded that you're just trying to will it to happen.

uh Ash - wouldn't it stand to reason that if you got screwed on a leak last year, you would try to curb that from happening again and find out where the leak was and shut it down? You know -learning from your mistakes. Yeah, a huge leap of logic there.

As far as being to the point I want Marion traded and I';m trying to will it to happen? We're not tlaking about a used pair of socks here, we're talking about a good deal for us - one even a professed Marion-defender says has merit. But hey, I think you're continually posting hoping to will the same result to keep Marion here at all costs - to each his own.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
panfolk said:
[sigh] this one just seemed so doable and beneficial.

Like I brought up earlier this is the 1st really reasonable and realistic deal that I've heard for Marion yet but that doesn't make it true.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and what were the Marion rumors last offseason? I don't remember ANYTHING like the mess swirling around him this year. Could be wrong, but I don't remember him being talked about ad nsaeum in almost every facet of the news, local and national.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember Marion being heavily discussed during the T-Mac deal, but what were the other deals in the last couple years that have come out like they have the last couple weeks?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Last year wasn't as bad as this year or '04(I think because everyone was talking about JJ). In addition to the T-Mac rumor there was also Marion for Dalembert and Mashburn 2 years ago. There were also people talking about a S&T with Nash to leave them money for Kobe(not very much on this one).

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
uh Ash - wouldn't it stand to reason that if you got screwed on a leak last year, you would try to curb that from happening again and find out where the leak was and shut it down? You know -learning from your mistakes. Yeah, a huge leap of logic there.

Wasn't the leak from NYK last time?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like the original trade proposal wasn't dumb enough. :)

I say keep the front line together and see what the team can do next year.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
SteelDog said:
Like the original trade proposal wasn't dumb enough. :)

I say keep the front line together and see what the team can do next year.

Yeah, I agree. I am for keeping Barbosa if possible as well, although he certainly should not be untradeable.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Fine everyone is silent there isn't a single source that has told anyone anything regarding this trade not one person has talked to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, The Seattle Times, The East Valley Tribune, or the Arizona Republic but they are going to jump in order to talk to Draft Express about all real rumors going around. You're right I'm the one making the jump in logic here :sarcasm:

Sorry I place a great deal of emphasis on something called confirmation. If more then one site is reporting it then there is a greater possibility of it coming true as of now there has been nothing further reported by anyone here locally or in Seattle or nationally for that matter other then something along the lines of what Griffin stated. Doesn't that seem a tad odd for a trade that is so close to occuring?

As far as being to the point I want Marion traded and I';m trying to will it to happen? We're not tlaking about a used pair of socks here, we're talking about a good deal for us - one even a professed Marion-defender says has merit. But hey, I think you're continually posting hoping to will the same result to keep Marion here at all costs - to each his own.

Over the past couple of days all you've talked about is how horrid a defender Marion is, how he chokes in the playoffs, etc.

I think Marion has been a key component to this team the past couple of seasons and would like to have him back next year. However I'm not stupid and I would do a deal that would help this team a great deal and actually has a shot at happening whether it be this offseason or next. KG was never coming here, the Chicago trade was never going to happen, this trade rumor actually has a shot at happening and I'm intrigued by it.

The lack of another source really puts into doubt for me

Last edited:

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I know what's more laughable - a Duke fan really try and claim Redick had no help or the playing of race card. Um, how about Shelden Williams, an NBA lottery pick and one of the best big men in the country? Or the aforementioned Luol Deng, Chris Duhon, or any one of the handful of McDonald's All Americans that K brings in every year?

And JJ being white has actually helped him get all these accolades. Because on paper he's no better of a player than Casey Jacobsen, Salim Stoudamire, or any other one-dimensional player that gets drafted in the late 1st round. The Kerr comparison would be fair but Steve got drafted in the late second round and shot a ridiculous 57% from long range during his senior year.

LoL, I never talked about race until Cheese talked about him being an unathletic white SG.

Redick isnt a great leaper or anything, but to call him unathletic is wrong.

His strengths are his footwork,agility and quickness.When did it become that you had to jump out of the gym to be a good athlete?

Same thing happend last year with David Lee

You had guys on here calling him another unathletic big white guy without even knowing anything about him just cause he was white.When the guy is a great athlete for a PowerForward.

*Sheldon Williams will be the biggest bust in this draft if hes selected in the top 10*

He has no post moves, can't shoot and just looks like a robot out there sometimes.Hes just looks so stiff that there is no way hes going to beable to bully NBA bigmen like he did in college.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
I think Marion has been a key component to this team the past couple of seasons and would like to have him back next year. However I'm not stupid and I would do a deal that would help this team a great deal and actually has a shot at happening whether it be this offseason or next. KG was never coming here, the Chicago trade was never going to happen, this trade rumor actually has a shot at happening and I'm intrigued by it.

:thumbup:

I agree. If there is a good deal, you take it. If not we still have a great roster for this coming season.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Fine everyone is silent there isn't a single source that has told anyone anything regarding this trade not one person has talked to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, The Seattle Times, The East Valley Tribune, or the Arizona Republic but they are going to jump in order to talk to Draft Express about all real rumors going around. You're right I'm the one making the jump in logic here :sarcasm:

okay Ash - I think it's time for you to finally uncover who you really are... Shawn Marion. Good lord, when did you become such an ass?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:

Ash - have you been dipping into the crack pipe again? Because I don't think there's ANYWHERE where I've stated that there ISN'T A SINGLE SOURCE that has told anyone anything about this trade. I've merely said that people should take what the Suns say with a grain of salt, especially considering how they got screwed last year with trades, they have a player with a fragile ego (which I'm assuming you understand)and that they're probably being as secretive as possible in hopes of not getting screwed again this year. I'm not sure why that's hard to follow and you have to question logic or drop such heavy sarcasm? But hey, you're very protective of Shawn so you feel the need to lash out at someone on the board, it's okay. People have all kinds of different ways of dealing with things.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:

Haha, did you really read this article, Cheese? "Fanning the flames"? I don't think so...

Adding to the fun are the inevitable trade rumors that pop up every year around draft time. Marion has been mentioned in a deal with the Sonics for Lewis, and the Bulls for Tyson Chandler. Other reports have the Bulls packaging Chandler, Ben Gordon and the No. 2 pick to the Wolves for Garnett or to the Pacers for O'Neal.

Could any of these happen? Don't bet on it. There's an old saying in the NBA, "usually the trades you hear about are the ones that don't happen." Also, there is a lot of misinformation coming from GMs this time of year.

Take the proposed Suns-Sonics deal. The idea behind the trade is that the Suns are looking to shed the remainder of Marion's contract (three years, $49.3 million) so that they will have more flexibility to re-sign Boris Diaw and Leandro Barbosa to contract extensions later this summer. Lewis, it could be argued, would be a good (and cheaper) replacement in the Suns' system.

However, in order for the deal to work under league trade rules, the Sonics would have to include the expiring contract of Danny Fortson. Yes, the same Danny Fortson who once sued Suns chairman Jerry Colangelo for "defamation" after the longtime executive complained about his physical play (Fortson, as a member of the Mavericks, had broken the hand of Suns forward Zarko Cabarkapa with a hard foul). It's hard to believe Colangelo would sign off on this one.

As for the proposed Marion-Chandler deal, it, too, smells fishy. Both Suns GM/coach Mike D'Antoni and Bulls GM John Paxson have vehemently denied it. The Suns surely would want more for an All-Star like Marion than a one-way player like Chandler and an unproven draft pick. Phoenix might be tempted if the Bulls were to throw in Gordon, but Chicago is unlikely to do that. The Bulls need a big man in order to take the next step, and Marion would not provide that dimension

That sounds more like dousing the flames than fanning them to me.

I do think it's very likely that a deal goes down with Seattle involving the draft picks and possibly players. I just don't think it's going to include Shawn Marion and Lewis unless it gets much better for the Phoenix Suns.

Joe Mama

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05