Phoenix Suns will draft 17th

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Boston Celtics won the tiebreaker with the Phoenix Suns for the 16th pick in the draft this summer. Both teams finished with identical records, so there was some sort of tiebreaker last night.

Well, the Phoenix Suns tried. After locking up the playoffs the team folded in the last two games of the season to Portland and Seattle.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Wouldn't mind drafting another highschool project.
We should just pick the player with most potential regardless of position.
We don't really need another SG but if we could get one and trade JJ for Kwame basically that's a possibility.

James Lang, Charlie Villanueva for example are projected late firsts or early second round picks.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Well, according to the lovely Nbadraft.net, Luke Ridnour is in our slot on their player rankings. Assuming we won't take him and Boston will, there are still some interesting players available, namely Zarko (who is my pick right now without knowing anything about him except what's on the site) and Nick Collison. David West is a little further down as well, and he's an interesting player too.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slin,

The wizards are not going to trade Kwame Brown for Joe Johnson. It's just not going to happen.

I could easily see the Celtics taking a point guard. They really missed Kenny Anderson this season. Of course I don't think they would pass on a decent inside player either.

The Suns should take the best player available regardless of position.

Joe

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Few of the players I like in draft:

Dwayne Wade * Marguette*
Darius Rice F Miami*
Josh Howard */F WakeForest
Zarko Cabarkapa F
Torin Francis F NotreDame*
best available PG

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by BbaLL_31
Few of the players I like in draft:

Dwayne Wade * Marguette*
Darius Rice F Miami*
Josh Howard */F WakeForest
Zarko Cabarkapa F
Torin Francis F NotreDame*
best available PG
Torin Francis is a nice prospect but he probably won't declare.
He is a less athletic Amare Stoudemire so I don't really see what could he bring on the table for the Suns what Stoudemire couldn't.

OP
OP
J

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by hcsilla
Torin Francis is a nice prospect but he probably won't declare.
He is a less athletic Amare Stoudemire so I don't really see what could he bring on the table for the Suns what Stoudemire couldn't.

I would say you can never have too many quality power forwards. It doesn't look likely that Francis will declare, and if he did he would probably go in the top 10.

I thought I read somewhere that Rice is now leaning towards returning to Miami for another season.

Joe Mama

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
Those are just a few have watched (except Zarko). 6-7 players that have entered so far leaned to staying in school at first so they might declare. Francis and Stoudemire could play aside each other on Suns team. PF is not a need but wanted to list a few different positions.

minercon

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know how we drafted Stephen Jackson a few years ago....let him go....and he is now starting for the Spurs???? Can't anyone here see any real talent? He would have come cheap besides. Don't say he suddenly improved overnight. We need some good evaluators. One of the announcers said we drafted him 3 years ago....I actually thought it was longer than that. I think they let him go before the season stated. Anyone know the inside scoop? Remember starting for a team like the Spurs shows the guy has got to have real talent...this is not Toronto or Cleveland folks.

Wally

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by minercon
I would like to know how we drafted Stephen Jackson a few years ago....let him go....and he is now starting for the Spurs???? Can't anyone here see any real talent? He would have come cheap besides. Don't say he suddenly improved overnight. We need some good evaluators. One of the announcers said we drafted him 3 years ago....I actually thought it was longer than that. I think they let him go before the season stated. Anyone know the inside scoop? Remember starting for a team like the Spurs shows the guy has got to have real talent...this is not Toronto or Cleveland folks.

He was selected by the Phoenix Suns in the second round (43rd pick overall) of the 1997 NBA Draft and I'm not sure what he did until he played for NJ Nets in 2000 and SA picked him up in 2001. he didn't do much for SA 2001 - 02 and has been doing ok for them this year.

I don't believe I'd fault the Suns on this one, and actually feel they have been a fairly good judge of talent overall. Just think of all the teams that passed on Jackson before the Suns picked him in '97.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
the suns always said he had the talent, but not the work effort or the defensive skills. He didnt do anything for the nets 2 years ago, or the spurs last season. he just got under control this season.

the suns are actually one of the best evaulators of talent. BC does an awesome job in every draft. Go to www.nbadraft.net and look at the history throughout the past 7 or 8 years. Every player we have drafted since like 95, in both rounds make a very significant impact on thei teams. Well everyone but Alton Ford.

mribnik

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Well, according to the lovely Nbadraft.net, Luke Ridnour is in our slot on their player rankings. Assuming we won't take him and Boston will, there are still some interesting players available, namely Zarko (who is my pick right now without knowing anything about him except what's on the site) and Nick Collison. David West is a little further down as well, and he's an interesting player too.

You think that Nick Collison and David West would be there when we pick? If so, that is a very deep draft. I would love to have either of those players.

sunsfn

Reaction score
I want a mean 6' 11" or more player that can jump and block shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There may not be one there on the 17th pick, and we may take a point guard with so many of them there.
(that being the best player deal)

What I read about Luke Ridnour says he is the real deal.

With the rule about being 18 and next year maybe 20, there are more names entering the draft this year so it might be a better draft for talent then they thought, and the 17th pick might get a good big man.

By the way, Jackson played overseas for a couple years.

:thumbup:

cly2tw

Reaction score
I recall that I thought we had a steal in Stephen Jackson right out of highschool who was ruled academically illegible(?) to play for UA. I think he was compared to Penny or something like that. And then in the preseason he played very bad and scared when shooting and they cut him right away. It's interesting to know when he made friend with Marbury.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by mribnik
You think that Nick Collison and David West would be there when we pick?
Either Collison or West or both can be very easily available at #17.

If so, that is a very deep draft.
It's much deeper than lot of people thought some months ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05