Pick your pass rusher

Who do you like best for OLB?

• Total voters

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I think the Cards are going to take a pass rusher at 7. The 3 likely available are going to be Ziggy Ansah, Jarvis Jones, and Barkevious Mingo. Who do you prefer and why? Ansah has the best size/speed combo. Jones was the most productive in college and Mingo is the most versatile, complete package.

I think the Cards go with the production ands select Jones.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Don`t like any of the 3 at #7.
That said.....................Ansah seems like too big a risk and a project at #7.
Jones just seems to be fading on some boards and his neck problem might have been given the okay but......................not my choice.
Mingo as a pass rusher...........that seems to be his skill.A complete player would be my choice at #7.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On name only :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ziggy or Jarvis....... It's a toss up between these two.

I would rank them

1 - Jordan
2 - Ansah - I think he has a higher ceiling.
3 - Jones

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I figure in this scenario, Dion Jordan is off the board thus Jones, Ansah & Mingo are the options.

I pick Jarvis Jones because Mingo & Ansah were DE's in college and would have to make the adjustment to OLB where Jones excelled the last 2 years. Gives you the legit 10+ sack a year threat we have been missing since Berry a long time ago.

One point I would like to make is that everyone is saying well he won't have a long career because of his medical condition. Well, it only takes one play to end ANYONE'S career so no one is guaranteed to have a long career playing football, its just too violent of a game.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think the Cards are going to take a pass rusher at 7. The 3 likely available are going to be Ziggy Ansah, Jarvis Jones, and Barkevious Mingo. Who do you prefer and why? Ansah has the best size/speed combo. Jones was the most productive in college and Mingo is the most versatile, complete package.

I think the Cards go with the production ands select Jones.

I think you're right that we'll take the pass rusher. I think Jones would be our selection also. I'll always side with production! I think Jones is the biggest game changer in the draft. He may not have a 10 year career, but give me 5 productive years & I'm very happy!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't want any of the choices likely available to us. I'd just as soon grab Collins in the 2nd if Jordan isn't available to us with our first pick. With the sure thing OLine guys, a gamble on a pass rusher seems too risky. If I absolutely had to take one of your options, I'd trade down a few spots and grab whoever falls.

Steve

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd rather go warmack but if we go pass rush I take Jarvis Jones over anybody his production year after year in the best conference in the country can't be ignored

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Strictly pass rushing ? Jarvis Jones

Best OLB ? Dion Jordan

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
To me its not even close. I have seen enough of Mingo to not want him in the first round period. Jarvis Jones produced more than any other OLB in college. Also I don't think Ansah would be an OLB. I think he is better off as a DE. So for me its Jarvis Jones.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To me its not even close. I have seen enough of Mingo to not want him in the first round period. Jarvis Jones produced more than any other OLB in college. Also I don't think Ansah would be an OLB. I think he is better off as a DE. So for me its Jarvis Jones.

If I had confidence that Jones would hold up, I'd be pushing for him too. But, with the luck we've had with injury risks, I'd just as soon avoid taking someone that questionable with our first round pick.

Steve

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I like the idea of trading back a few spots, grab Jarvis and a 3rd rounder. Then they can take an OL in 2nd and use one of the 3rds on OL as well.

Potentially:
1. Jarvis
2. Fluker
3: Your OL pick
3. Best safety availible

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the correct answer is Jarvis Jones.

its not a toss up, its not an argument, its not even close.

Jarvis jones: body of work/ domination

Jones + Ansah: big and fast. News flash, everyone in the nfl is big and fast.

ndhillst

Rookie
Reaction score
I'd take Jones even if his playing days were limited. From what I've heard (mind you, I've done no independent research) he's cleared to play and could last years in the league. I'll take that.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I would take Jones, and then I would take Jones and if I had a third choice for a pass rusher I would take that Jarvis Jones player :)

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Ziggy or Jarvis....... It's a toss up between these two.

I would rank them

1 - Jordan
2 - Ansah - I think he has a higher ceiling.
3 - Jones

I am changing my opinion. Jones after Jordan, then Ansah. Jones is more of a sure thing IMO. We do not have the luxury of upside over sure thing right now.

Our main problem is that Jones is not a good fit in the Parcells 3-4. With Horton, he would have been perfect. Bowles will want the bigger 3-4 OLB's.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I am changing my opinion. Jones after Jordan, then Ansah. Jones is more of a sure thing IMO. We do not have the luxury of upside over sure thing right now.

Our main problem is that Jones is not a good fit in the Parcells 3-4. With Horton, he would have been perfect. Bowles will want the bigger 3-4 OLB's.

Bowles will in fact want one who is more than a one trick pony.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't understand why anyone is still talking about Ziggy at 7. The team has already said it won't happen.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Jarvis Jones has showed great speed against a bunch of college RTs. That's wonderful and everything, but if he really were that fast, why wouldn't it have showed up in the workouts.

When the speed move doesn't work, Jones immediately gives up. Give me a guy with an array of pass rush moves over a guy with great speed and nothing else.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Jarvis Jones has showed great speed against a bunch of college RTs. That's wonderful and everything, but if he really were that fast, why wouldn't it have showed up in the workouts.

When the speed move doesn't work, Jones immediately gives up. Give me a guy with an array of pass rush moves over a guy with great speed and nothing else.

Didn`t you just disqualify Mingo.Isn`t speed his main asset.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn`t you just disqualify Mingo.Isn`t speed his main asset.

Mingo has adequate speed, and a plus get-off that makes him play faster than his timed speed. He also has a variety of pass rush moves and some ability to set up an opponent with one move before countering with another.

FWIW, I think that the Cards intend to draft Jones. When Arians said at the draft presser that he doesn't care about pro days and the Combine, that's the first player that I thought of.