Pippen comeback?

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...pippen,1,7054024.story?coll=chi-sportstop-hed

Stellar event in Vegas The gambling and show biz capital is a good fit for the NBA. Sam Smith, PAGE 2

By Sam Smith
Tribune pro basketball reporter
Published February 15, 2007, 10:49 PM CST

LAS VEGAS -- He's back. Almost.

It's not quite the impact of Michael Jordan's famous two-word return to basketball in 1995, but Scottie Pippen is seriously considering a comeback and hopes to play for a contending team in this season's playoffs.

Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years. And in the Eastern Conference, his veteran presence could change the balance of power and be a major influence in the playoffs. Or he might be the long-sought backup to relieve the pressure on the Suns' Steve Nash. The possibilities are intriguing.

Pippen will give an indication of where he is physically when he teams with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree in the "Shooting Stars" contest part as part of Saturday night's All-Star festivities.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen last played for the Bulls in the 2003-04 season, when knee problems limited him to 23 games. He said he's considering the right situation and plans to talk to some teams and players during the weekend.

"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.

"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.

"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."

Pippen wants to move into coaching and said his ideal situation would be to serve as a player-coach. He believes his experience running Phil Jackson's Bulls offense and as the leader of good Trail Blazers teams in the late 1990s gives him a step up in coaching.

The Bulls bought out Pippen's contract before the 2004-05 season. He didn't mention the Bulls as a possible destination, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with their surplus of guards and small forwards.

Perhaps there would be a spot for him if the Bulls were to trade for Pau Gasol and give up some of their forwards. Pippen remains close with Bulls general manager John Paxson and has worked with players on the team in the last few years.

There are at least two other contending Eastern Conference teams Pippen could greatly affect if he's in the shape he says he's in.

The Miami Heat has been desperate for a point guard with Jason Williams hurt and Gary Payton proving ineffective. Pippen could relieve ball-handling pressure on Dwyane Wade and work inside with Shaquille O'Neal. And he lives in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been desperate for a point guard. With Eric Snow benched, they're playing rookie second-rounder Daniel Gibson at the point. That leaves LeBron James to shoulder even more duties. Pippen could relieve James and get him free to operate in the open court much as he did with Jordan.

Of course, that was a long time ago. But we've seen 40-ish veterans in all sports make an impact with their knowledge and execution. It's especially vital in the playoffs with more half-court play.

Pippen, a classic point guard, played 11 seasons with the Bulls before a year in Houston and four with Portland.

After leaving Portland, Pippen played one injury-plagued season with the Bulls, averaging 5.9 points, his first season under double digits. His career averages are 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists. One of the most versatile players of his era, he played on seven All-Star teams, but 208 playoff games wore out his body. He was all-NBA seven times and all-defense 10 times. He played for two winning Olympic teams and was voted one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl this week talked about needing a point guard and some decision-making help. Maybe the Spurs? How about a reunion with Jackson—the Lakers have been desperate for a point guard. Back to Houston in a slower game with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming? To Minnesota to help Kevin Garnett?

There is no shortage of teams that can use a guy who has played with six championship teams and makes teammates better with his court awareness and passing. And Pippen isn't talking about long-term or taking someone's job. Just a nice add-on for a playoff run or two. Would he help any less than some 15th guy on the roster?

At the very least he has seen it all in the playoffs and would be like an extra coach on the floor.

"I'll see how this weekend turns out," Pippen said. "Maybe I'll make a mess of that shooting stars."

Probably not. He could be a heck of an addition for someone.

interesting - where he could end up

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
I would love pip on our squad. In fact, I would probably trade banks for pippen and a bag of nacho cheesier doritos.

High Stakes

Registered
Reaction score
I would love pip on our squad. In fact, I would probably trade banks for pippen and a 3 million bags of nacho cheesier doritos (just so the money makes sense)..

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only point to bring Pippen in would be if he was definitely worth putting in the rotation. You're not going to see that at a glorified pick-up game. He's one to definitely complain if he's not getting his minutes -- 15 or whatever.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pippen's shot left him at the end. The guy couldn't shoot. He also doesn't have the mobility to play in this system. No thanks. Let him go play with the Bulls.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
He burned his bridges with the Suns last season. F*** that prick!

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Pippen never was a good 'locker room' guy... whatever that means. The same can be said about Tim Thomas - looked how that turned out for us last season. I say we try and bring him in. Clearly, he can't be worse than Banks. Also, if he has any quickness left, he is a good perimeter defender.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The dude is 41. He just misses basketball. He's not going to contribute anywhere. He definitely can't play here. He thinks our team is called the Phoenix Sun.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think we should sign him. I would laugh my ass off seeing Pat Burke get more minutes than Pippen.

NastyOne

Suns 4 Life...Probably...Maybe
Reaction score
Makes no sense to even consider Pippen when we already have Jalen Rose on the bench capable of doing the same things, and hes not getting any playingtime.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pippen is an ass. He said that Nash should have to give back his MVP last year because he got tired in 3 or 4 playoff games.

msdundee

Registered
Reaction score
He ranted on Nash last year during the Clipper series -- said he wasn't playing near the level of a 2-time MVP.

Didn't the Suns pass on Pippen a few years back? When he was still playing, I seem to remember he was unhappy where he was and expressed an interest in coming here.

OP
OP
JoRain

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
from the same http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...,1,342879.column?track=rss&ctrack=1&cset=true

Pippen hot to play for the Heat
Says being on team with O'Neal and Wade would be his ideal

Published February 17, 2007

LAS VEGAS -- It was 13 years ago when Scottie Pippen was the stars of stars, when Pippen in the first All-Star Game after Michael Jordan's "retirement" was the MVP in a big Eastern Conference win.

"I remember Michael was not there," said Pippen, who'll participate Saturday in the Shooting Stars contest with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and Candice Dupree of the Chicago Sky in one of several contests leading up to the slam dunk contest. "I was the veteran guy. A lot of the guys had stepped down, Magic [Johnson], Michael, Larry [Bird], Charles [Barkley, who was injured], guys who I had taken a back seat to. It was a time I was in my prime and could step forward."

Pippen did with a game-high 29 points and 11 rebounds, and you remember Pippen holding that trophy aloft that cold day in Minneapolis. The same, warm satisfied smile seemed to comfort Pippen again Friday while he was surrounded by media asking him about his intention to return to the NBA.

In a weekend of entertainment and the bizarre, where golfer Michelle Wie strolled around during the media session doing her own interviews, there is little news. There was the usual workup to Sunday's All-Star game with Dirk Nowitzki moving into the West starting lineup and Shaquille O'Neal saying he won't stay long in the East's.

So, against that backdrop, a sure future Hall of Famer who hopes to return to the NBA at 41 stood out.

Pippen, never shy about stating his opinions and intentions, made it clear he'd love to play for the Miami Heat.

"I'm looking at teams like Miami, Cleveland, Dallas, San Antonio. I feel there are a few teams I could help," Pippen said.

Sitting at a nearby table later on, Kobe Bryant said he'd call Pippen and ask him to consider the Lakers.

"I'd like an opportunity to help a team contend for a championship," Pippen said. "I'd like to go play with Shaq. That would be the ideal place. He's probably the best in the game, he and Dwyane Wade. Teams in the East still are bunched up, but [the Pistons and the Heat] will be fighting it out in the Eastern finals.

"I don't see anyone really a threat to them. Indiana is going in another direction, the Bulls still are lacking that inside presence."

Though O'Neal said he hadn't heard about any Pippen interest in Miami, Wade was excited.

"I'm already playing with [Gary] Payton and Shaq; Scottie and Michael are two guys I used to play with on video games," Wade said. "To add Scottie to the mix, that would be crazy. It would be a dream."

But through it all, you could still feel the specter of Jordan hanging over Pippen.

So Pippen never hesitated when he was asked—once again—about not being appreciated as much as he should have been.

"I know that, but I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael."

There was an awkward, shocked pause after Pippen answered—Pippen over Jordan?—and someone finally asked why.

"Because I'm an all-around player," Pippen added. "Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

It's not to say Pippen wished he hadn't played with Jordan. But they never were truly close; they were fierce competitors who never wanted to be second. Though Jordan is on hand to help judge the dunk contest Saturday, they haven't spoken lately.

As for Pippen's quest, he appears to be in terrific condition and knows today's players and game well. But he also understands his time could be past.

"I'm not betting on it, anyway," Pippen said. "If nothing falls the right way I won't be returning, and that's OK."

But he would like one more chance again to get to that final game. Maybe just because Jordan returned and couldn't.

All-Star media day is like the NFL's with all sorts of ancillary media and entertainment reporters. One guy came up to Pippen and showed him a Jordan rookie trading card, saying it was the 20th anniversary and asking if Pippen had one.

Pippen looked at him curiously and evenly said no. The guy asked then if Pippen collected anything.

"Championship rings," Pippen said.

Would one more be enough for Pippen's serenity? He'd like to find out.

OP
OP
JoRain

JoRain

Registered
Reaction score
Kobe again can't stay away

from http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nba17feb17,1,1849765.story?track=rss

LAS VEGAS — With Scottie Pippen announcing he wants to make a comeback at 41, Kobe Bryant announced he'll try to persuade him to do it as a Laker.

"He was in camp with us last season, and he looked like he was in great shape," said Bryant at Friday's All-Star media session. "I'm going to tell him there's a place in the triangle for him."

Pippen retired after going on the injured list as a Bull in February 2004. Two days ago he told two Chicago writers that he wants to play again.

A Lakers official said it was too early to comment. However, with rookie Jordan Farmar in the rotation, the team has been looking for a veteran guard.

Coach Phil Jackson has a demonstrated preference for his former players, as when he installed 35-year-old Ron Harper as his starting point guard in 1999, so the Lakers are expected to at least check it out.

Pippen won six NBA titles with the Bulls while playing alongside Michael Jordan, and was a member of two U.S. Olympic teams that won gold medals.

In 17 seasons with Chicago, Houston and Portland, Pippen averaged 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists.

cly2tw

Reaction score
no to pippen who wouldn't want to come to suns anyway

cly2tw

Reaction score
He ranted on Nash last year during the Clipper series -- said he wasn't playing near the level of a 2-time MVP.

Didn't the Suns pass on Pippen a few years back? When he was still playing, I seem to remember he was unhappy where he was and expressed an interest in coming here.

I think that was the year MJ retired again and the Bulls dynasty went to end. Houston kind of outbid us to give him his first fat contract in career but he wasted his years there, some of which with barkley together.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05