Pistons Post Game Quotes

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
"I think he panicked," Nash said of the official. "He kind of stuttered and then he said: 'You were underneath him.' It's tough to take when you feel like you played well enough to win, but you feel like the win was taken away from you."

After Nash missed a shot, Shaquille O'Neal fouled Antonio McDyess on the rebound and McDyess hit both free throws to give the Pistons a four-point advantage.

"I would have liked to see some consistency in the calls," O'Neal said. "They [the Pistons] had help, there's no two ways about it."

OP
OP
WuRaider

WuRaider

Registered
Reaction score
Az Republic:

Suns drop tough one to Pistons

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 24, 2008 07:26 PM
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. - The Suns have had excruciatingly close losses and frustratingly bad ones. They have been embarrassingly overwhelmed and knowingly outworked.

But not once all season had the Suns been as angry after a loss as they were following Monday night's 110-105 overtime defeat against Detroit at the Palace of Auburn Hills. They headed for Boston feeling good about the way they scored and defended against a powerhouse team despite having a seven-game win streak end.

They just felt outmanned.

"We played well enough to win," Suns forward Grant Hill said. "It's just hard five against eight."

The Suns could find fault with themselves for losing a 94-89 lead with 2:40 to go in regulation, with one Detroit offensive rebound providing a late Rasheed Wallace 3-pointer and another denying them a chance at a winning shot. But it was hard for them to focus on those plays or the missed shots down the stretch of overtime when they were so furious with the officiating.

"We had our chances to win," Suns guard Steve Nash said. "We didn't get the calls."

Suns video coordinator Noel Gillespie was the most popular man in the postgame locker room, because players wanted to look at the calls that had them seething after Detroit had scored the game's final six points. Two particular calls raised their ire.

With the Suns leading 94-92 after Wallace's 3-pointer off a Rodney Stuckey rebound, Shaquille O'Neal missed inside when he was hit across the face by Antonio McDyess and slapped across the left arm by Stuckey with no call. McDyess said after the game that he was fouling in hack-a-Shaq mode.

"I wish they wouldn't have had help," O'Neal said of the Pistons. "I sure wish those people (officials Joe Forte, Michael Smith and Sean Wright) would get a little more consistent in how they call a game. I know I got fouled down there. It ain't no all ball. (Expletive) that. I know I got fouled, and there's a ref standing there. He should have (expletive) called it. I got chopped in the head. He should have (expletive) called it. Period.

"It'd been a different game if they'd done what they're supposed to do. They had help."

A blocking foul on Nash for a Chauncey Billups' 3-point play with 1:01 to go also had Phoenix fired up. The Suns led 105-104 when Nash tried to take a charge on Billups' drive. Billups converted for a 107-105 lead. Nash missed a jumper to tie the score, and O'Neal was called for a foul on the rebound, setting up two McDyess free throws that made the lead 109-105 with 45.9 seconds to go. Wallace blocked an Amaré Stoudemire fadeaway on the next play.

"We got hosed down the stretch," Hill said. "It was just bad. Rasheed's agreeing with you about the foul situation. Then you know you got screwed."

The Suns still came a long way from the team that lost to Detroit by 30 in Phoenix on Feb. 24, when O'Neal was in his third game with the Suns.

They were outrebounded for just the third time in O'Neal's 17-game Suns career. The 16 second-chance Pistons points hurt as well as 16 Suns turnovers for 20 Pistons points.

Stoudemire led Phoenix with 33 points, including 15 on free throws, but Billups countered with his own 15 free throws to finish with 32 points.

"It's not a really bad loss," Nash said. "Everyone's disappointed and angry. We felt like we played well enough to win and feel like, in some ways, it was taken from us."

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
At the same time though, certain players have to step up and take some responsibility. Amare couldn't defend Wallace, down the stretch, and tried to force shots that weren't there on the other end. The officiating didn't help, and I realize no one wants to blame Amare, but he made some key mistakes that really cost the Suns. If he doesn't keep trying to force what isn't there, the Suns probably win that game.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
If the Suns secure one of two rebounds at the end of regulation they have a chance to win it right there.

The officiating didn't help, but I'm not about to say it's the worst the Suns have dealt with this season.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The officiating didn't help, and I realize no one wants to blame Amare, but he made some key mistakes that really cost the Suns. If he doesn't keep trying to force what isn't there, the Suns probably win that game.
But both teams made key mistakes down the stretch. Amare forcing a shot that was blocked. Billups committing a charge for a turnover on the other end. The difference was that the Pistons were rewarded for their mistakes.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
When Nash and Hill start complaining about the refs, you know its bad. I'm glad they spoke it, as it helps with my self validation :)

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When Nash and Hill start complaining about the refs, you know its bad. I'm glad they spoke it, as it helps with my self validation :)

Even worse, when Rasheed freaking Wallace agrees that the ref'ing is bad, then you know you got screwed.

Grant Hill said:
"We got hosed down the stretch," Hill said. "It was just bad. Rasheed's agreeing with you about the foul situation. Then you know you got screwed."

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
So basically post game we heard a bunch of little Antoni's crying about the outcome?

Anymore it seems as though Nash, Amare, Antoni, and Shaq complain/cry/whine about every call/non call.

Get over it. If there was one lesson this team should've learned from the SA series, it's that crying gets you nowhere.

Amare had 5 boards, Detroit had much more production from the bench, Detroit had 9 blocks, Suns had less fouls, more assists, the list goes on.

Not to mention the Pistons leading scorer didn't play.

From the looks of the box score it wasn't 5 on 8. It was 4 on 5. Was anybody defending Chauncey Billups?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
At the same time though, certain players have to step up and take some responsibility. Amare couldn't defend Wallace, down the stretch, and tried to force shots that weren't there on the other end. The officiating didn't help, and I realize no one wants to blame Amare, but he made some key mistakes that really cost the Suns. If he doesn't keep trying to force what isn't there, the Suns probably win that game.

Crap, I hate to agree with a Lakers' fan... so I won't.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Didn't Sheed only make one jumper down the stretch, and missed pretty badly on a couple more?

Amare's problem was on the offensive end for once down the stretch. Not the defense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
So basically post game we heard a bunch of little Antoni's crying about the outcome?

Anymore it seems as though Nash, Amare, Antoni, and Shaq complain/cry/whine about every call/non call.

Get over it. If there was one lesson this team should've learned from the SA series, it's that crying gets you nowhere.

Amare had 5 boards, Detroit had much more production from the bench, Detroit had 9 blocks, Suns had less fouls, more assists, the list goes on.

Not to mention the Pistons leading scorer didn't play.

From the looks of the box score it wasn't 5 on 8. It was 4 on 5. Was anybody defending Chauncey Billups?

Amchang, is that you?

Did we make mistakes? It sounds like it. Did they make mistakes? It sounds like it. Did the refs factor against us? It sounds like it. Even 'Sheed agrees with us, and he has no reason to if it isn't true.

Louis

DJ Roomba
Reaction score
Winning Friends and Influencing the People in My H
Amchang, is that you?

Did we make mistakes? It sounds like it. Did they make mistakes? It sounds like it. Did the refs factor against us? It sounds like it. Even 'Sheed agrees with us, and he has no reason to if it isn't true.

You're right. Let's find solace that Sheed, who spends every moment on the court complaining about the officiating, agrees with the Suns players.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. Let's find solace that Sheed, who spends every moment on the court complaining about the officiating, agrees with the Suns players.

Ok.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure the players have to take some responsibility, but they were able to defend & rebound well enough to get a 5 pt lead with 1:30 left in the game and then the refs took over. When the Piston players admit they were trying to hack-a-shaq and the refs just decide to ignore their intentional fouls then there's not much the Suns players can do about it. Nash stepped in to take the charge on Billups and was called for a block and he ends up with a 3pt play. I agree the Amare's fade-away jumpers were a bad idea, but going strong to the basket probably would've resulted in either a no call that caused him to miss the shot or gotten him an offensive foul with the way the refs were calling the game. The refs set the tone early that the Pistons were allowed to play physical and the Suns were not by calling Bell for 4 fouls very quickly.

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Suns got screwed but nothing we can do about it, forget it move on and take it out on Boston tomorrow night!

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The whole thing is if your gonna call it one way, you have to do it for both teams. Detroit got to foul and hack and Raja gets freaking bumping called for fouls its ridiculous.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Look, the refs were admittedly awful. But the refs didn't miss 2 free throws, (Hill), hoist up bad shots (Amare), and forget how to rebound at the end of the game. (team)

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Look, the refs were admittedly awful. But the refs didn't miss 2 free throws, (Hill), hoist up bad shots (Amare), and forget how to rebound at the end of the game. (team)
But if the refs get even 1 of the crucial calls right then the Suns win in regulation despite all the stuff you posted. If Billups bowling over Nash is called a charge then the Pistons lose 3 pts or if Shaq gets the hack-a-shaq foul call and hits 1 ft then we win. If the refs were actually making any calls for the Suns at the end of the game then Amare isn't shooting fade-away jumpers........he's taking it strong to the basket to try to get and-1s or at least some free throws.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
if if if...
There was an ABSOLTELY atrocious call late in the overtime of the Warriors/Lakers game - every team - except maybe the Sterns - is the recipient of bad calls.
The Suns need to focus on making free throws and securing rebounds late in the game - the crappy offiating won't matter then.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
if if if...
There was an ABSOLTELY atrocious call late in the overtime of the Warriors/Lakers game - every team - except maybe the Sterns - is the recipient of bad calls.
The Suns need to focus on making free throws and securing rebounds late in the game - the crappy offiating won't matter then.
Ok, so the Suns must play perfect at the end of every game to overcome bad officiating......otherwise it is their fault for losing because of the refs.......that sounds logical. Are you guys smoking the same stuff as Ambchang?

Sure it would be great if we made every perfect decision at the end of the game, but we still played well enough to win this game. If the refs didn't make multiple atrocious calls then the Pistons wouldn't have had a chance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05