Pistons Post Game Quotes

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That was a game where DJ could have given Billups some hard bumps relieving Raja. Raja, LB, Giri, Hill, they all couldn't slow down Billups at all. In hindsight, it'd have been better to play the lineup Shaq/Amare/Hill/DJ/Nash in the OT. Only offense coach wanted was Amare/Nash anyway with only them scoring there. Then why not do something dedicated to stopping Billups? Not to mention we could have used Skinner earlier to follow Rasheed on the 3pt line when he was hot.:(

DJ wouldn't have done ANYTHING against Billups. The only thing putting DJ on Billups would have done is make Billups start to go off sooner than he did.

DJ Strawberry in overtime? Are you serious? Maybe everyone should just call DJ Stephen Hunter, because he's reaching that kind of overrating.

cly2tw

Reaction score
DJ wouldn't have done ANYTHING against Billups. The only thing putting DJ on Billups would have done is make Billups start to go off sooner than he did.

DJ Strawberry in overtime? Are you serious? Maybe everyone should just call DJ Stephen Hunter, because he's reaching that kind of overrating.

It wouldn't have cost us anything trying, say 2-3 min. earlier in the game! Had DA tried, we'd have seen. We never thought Banks would bother Baron Davis so much in one loss to GS last season. Clear was that nobody we used could do anything to stop Billups, and they were not much involved in offense in closing min. either.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I think it was pretty obvious the plays by Sheed shifted the momentum in that game.

Yes, they did. His good plays shifted it toward the Pistons and his bad plays shifted it toward the Suns. The game had a lot of back-and-forth, as you may have noticed. Of course, Stoudemire scored pretty much constantly, so I guess it didn't really count as a momentum "shift" every time he made another pair of free throws. Had the last few seconds of regulation gone slightly differently, you could talk about how Stoudemire owned Wallace -- even if the plays they were involved in were exactly the same as they were in the real game.

I just don't like blaming refs for games and I think if you look at it in the big picture the calls do even out.

Jesus, can no one on this board freaking read? Where did I blame the loss on the officiating?

If you aren't going to pay attention to what someone wrote, don't bother with the Quote feature. Just blabber randomly into a vacuum and be flattered to get any responses.

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
It's very telling that now that Stoudemire has raised his game to an MVP-caliber level, Laker fans are falling all over themselves trying to construct ways to bring him down. That speaks volumes.

Not true. I'm not trying to break down Amare, he's one of the best forwards in the NBA, and I realize this. No player is perfect though and Amare has aspects of his game he could improve on, namely consistency on Defense.

I'm not going to bother looking for reasons to say Amare isn't a great player, cause that would just be stupid.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Yes, they did. His good plays shifted it toward the Pistons and his bad plays shifted it toward the Suns. The game had a lot of back-and-forth, as you may have noticed. Of course, Stoudemire scored pretty much constantly, so I guess it didn't really count as a momentum "shift" every time he made another pair of free throws. Had the last few seconds of regulation gone slightly differently, you could talk about how Stoudemire owned Wallace -- even if the plays they were involved in were exactly the same as they were in the real game.

Jesus, can no one on this board freaking read? Where did I blame the loss on the officiating?

If you aren't going to pay attention to what someone wrote, don't bother with the Quote feature. Just blabber randomly into a vacuum and be flattered to get any responses.

As much as I'm a Suns fan most of you people have very little in courtesy. And I was speaking in general about the refs, but obviously your ego is way too big to handle that.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I thought it was fine to leave Wallace alone. He's not a good enough shooter to make those consistently. Yes, he made his first four, but as far as I was concerned, any possession ending in a Wallace three was a good defensive possession for the Suns. Sure enough, he made only one of his last six attempts. I was glad that the Suns didn't change their defensive strategy just because he happened to make a few.

In principle, you are right. But we gave him the wide open 3s while playing zone defense. I guess the reason behind zone was to not get into Sheed posting-up Amare early on. However, wide open shots get the shooters confident, even if he is just a 38% 3pt shooter. With Skinner harassing Sheed while either Shaq or Amare staying with the other big in Dice or Ratliff, we might have played man defense, which we are better at. We stuck with zone for too long.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
In principle, you are right. But we gave him the wide open 3s while playing zone defense. I guess the reason behind zone was to not get into Sheed posting-up Amare early on. However, wide open shots get the shooters confident, even if he is just a 38% 3pt shooter. With Skinner harassing Sheed while either Shaq or Amare staying with the other big in Dice or Ratliff, we might have played man defense, which we are better at. We stuck with zone for too long.

Really, Skinner out at the three point line guarding Sheed?

Has this board really come to overvalue and totally misunderstand guys' skill-set now?

Wow.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
The zone worked great, you are basically just flat out unlucky if a mid 30% 3 point shooter starts the game going 4 for 4 against you.

I would do the exact same thing against them next time, better then sheed posting up and giving amare an extra foul or two.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As much as I'm a Suns fan most of you people have very little in courtesy. And I was speaking in general about the refs, but obviously your ego is way too big to handle that.

Welcome to the board!

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
www.afakewebsitewithnocredibility.com/story/1234.html

In a post-game interview, O'neal held nothing back when reflecting on the game.

"I've had all I can stands, and I can't stands no more," he admitted.

The Big Saguaro then jumped out of his chair and declared to the entire press corps, "From now on, any incorrect ruling given out by any referee for the rest of the season will be met by me consuming a small kitten."

"That's right," he continued, "For every wrong call I see, I'm going to eat a mother [explitive] cat."

He then sat back down and finished taking off his shoes. Nash could be seen in the background with a sinister scowl decked across his face as he shouted, "Me too, *******!"

cly2tw

Reaction score
Really, Skinner out at the three point line guarding Sheed?

Has this board really come to overvalue and totally misunderstand guys' skill-set now?

Wow.

Sheed posts a problem for the defender with his shooting AND posting-up. Shaq can't guard him at 3pt. Amare would get posted up, risking early fouls. Skinner is big and athletic enough to stay with Sheed wherever he goes on offense. Have you seen Skinner and Rasheed play?:sad:

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sheed posts a problem for the defender with his shooting AND posting-up. Shaq can't guard him at 3pt. Amare would get posted up, risking early fouls. Skinner is big and athletic enough to stay with Sheed wherever he goes on offense. Have you seen Skinner and Rasheed play?:sad:
I like Skinner, but you are over-valuing what he can bring to the Suns. He is not a good perimeter defender. He's not even a great post defender. He's a decent post defender that can block shots occasionally and is an average rebounder. I don't know if anyone on the Suns can guard Rasheed well, just like we struggle guarding Okur because of their perimeter shooting ability. Amare's the only guy tall enough with the quickness to do it and he loses his focus too much (wants to help on defense).

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

If Sheed is hitting his 3 ball then there aren't many players that can guard him. That's what makes him a great player, at least, when he's on top of his game.

But Skinner running around the three point line trying to defend a guy who is basically a SF in a PF's body, well, that would be a disaster.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I like Skinner, but you are over-valuing what he can bring to the Suns. He is not a good perimeter defender. He's not even a great post defender. He's a decent post defender that can block shots occasionally and is an average rebounder. I don't know if anyone on the Suns can guard Rasheed well, just like we struggle guarding Okur because of their perimeter shooting ability. Amare's the only guy tall enough with the quickness to do it and he loses his focus too much (wants to help on defense).

Skinner has the quickness to bother Sheed on the perimeter. He is no stiff. Which other center did you see Skinner defend on the perimeter and fail? Sheed is not much quicker than Skinner. Besides, does Sheed have a face-up attacking game other than shooting the stand still 3s?

And I'm not saying Skinner could do it much better than Amare. He'd actually have the same if not more problem defending Sheed at low post, which Sheed would be doing if defended by Skinner any way. But that's at least some good fouls to burn.

Last edited:

cly2tw

Reaction score
If Sheed is hitting his 3 ball then there aren't many players that can guard him. That's what makes him a great player, at least, when he's on top of his game.

But Skinner running around the three point line trying to defend a guy who is basically a SF in a PF's body, well, that would be a disaster.

If nobody can guard him, you don't just surrender, do you? I never claimed Skinner would stop him, but if Sheed-induced foul concern forced DA to play zone for long stretch with ugly results, then why not use a blue-collar Skinner 5-6 min to stir the pot a bit? In his heart, DA is still clinging to the "outscoring" them attitude, which makes him hesitant to do defense for offense substitutions.:sad:

sLapzsHaQ

I am a mushroomhead...
Reaction score
Oh well, it's over.. let's see what would happen tomorrow.. Hmm..

capologist

Veteran
Reaction score
When Al says, "shazam", I assume a 3 point shot was made. Don't really need to see it to understand what happened. When Al says a call is BS I'll take his word for it. Like I said, don't really need to see it to know what's happening.

Oh, of course. Al comes across as completely objective.

Toothbrush

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion Al is fairly objective. With regards to his game calling that is. I've heard him talk about when the suns should have been called for a foul and they weren't. Or when a call goes their way when it shouldn't have. I'm not naive enough to think Al is completely bias free, but he's been calling games since before I was born. I think the guy recognizes bad officiating when he sees it.

All I know is when I checked a few suns boards everyone seemed to be upset by the officiating. I guess Al's agenda influenced people that didn't even listen to his commentary.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
It was definitely more than "just a few message boards." Reporters, broadcasters, sports radio, even in Detroit acknowledged it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05