Please, Don't take offense By DARREN URBAN

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Here's an article from the Cardinals' site with some things that scare me:
The numbers were ugly.
Twenty of 30 passes fell incomplete. Only nine first downs. Only 195 total yards of offense, by far the worst total of the season – and 60 less than the Cardinals had against Carolina, when they were using Tim Rattay at quarterback on three days of practice.
Still, it was a calm coach Ken Whisenhunt who revisited the Cards’ offensive disaster in Tampa during his Monday press conference.
“I think you have to be very careful about overreacting to a game like (Sunday),” Whisenhunt said.
There was a message not to panic in the wake of the Cards’ third straight loss, this week a 17-10 decision to the Buccaneers.
Ultimately, Whisenhunt doesn’t see his offense in need of a makeover. He sees one that needs to execute its plays more often.
The common theme after the game was that the Cardinals had good offensive practices following their bye. Receiver Anquan Boldin estimated Monday that the Cards had about two mental errors in all their work leading up to the Tampa Bay game.
But, Boldin emphasized, “coaches can’t go in the game with you.”
“We should not be held to 10 points by any team in this league,” Boldin added. “It is us stopping ourselves. … Players have to pay attention to detail. Plain and simple.”
There were plenty of examples in Tampa. On the Cards’ opening drive alone, Larry Fitzgerald stepped out of bounds when he shouldn’t have, while Jerheme Urban dropped a pass inside the Tampa Bay 10-yard line. Meanwhile, on the Bucs’ first possession, Tampa Bay receiver Joey Galloway came up with a 37-yard touchdown catch between two Cardinals defenders (when Cards safety Terrence Holt should have knocked the pass down).
On another key play – Warner’s first interception – Whisenhunt said tight end Leonard Pope apparently had trouble locating the pass and inadvertently slowed down, allowing the Tampa defender to make the play.
Whisenhunt said he was disappointed not that Pope didn’t make the catch but that he didn’t break up the interception. The coach also said he didn’t blame Warner for the turnover.
“We can continue doing what we are doing, we just have to be better at it,” Whisenhunt said. “It wasn’t a lack of effort, our team was not (outplayed physically), I don’t think. We just didn’t make the plays.”
The Cardinals were 11th in the NFL in total offense heading into the Bucs’ game. They now stand 20th after their sub-200-yard performance. Whisenhunt said the Cards must recommit to being patient early in the game, especially running the ball.
After gaining 161 and 132 rushing yards the first two games, the Cardinals have failed to reach 100 yards rushing as a team in five of their last six games.
Finding more success on the ground – and in the base offense – will in turn make the no-huddle offense more effective, Whisenhunt said.
Warner, who completed only 10 of 30 passes for 172 yards and two interceptions, tied his mark for the lowest passing rating he has ever had in a game. His 26.0 rating equaled a performance in Carolina in 2000 (18-for-36, 189 yards, four interceptions).
Warner was not available for comment Monday, briefly running through the locker room before heading to meetings.
“I was amazed with how bad we played,” Warner said Sunday after the game.
The Cardinals have time to make it up, however. Half the season remains. And visiting Arizona this weekend are the Detroit Lions, who, despite a 6-2 record and allowing just seven points to Denver Sunday, are ranked 28th in the NFL on defense.
The Cardinals insist they don't believe the Tampa Bay troubles will be repeated.
“It is one of those games you hate to say happens, but unfortunately it does happen,” guard Reggie Wells said. “You have to move on.”
EXTRA POINTS
Whisenhunt said rookie Levi Brown will return to his spot as the starting right offensive tackle this week against Detroit. …
The status of safety Aaron Francisco (right knee) and backup tackle Elton Brown (right knee) is being evaluated, Whisenhunt said. Francisco reinjured the same knee that he hurt against Carolina. …
Asked if the Cards might have not gotten to Tampa early enough given the cross-country flight – the team got in about 5 p.m. Tampa time Saturday, with flying time of about 3½ hours – Whisenhunt said he constantly assessing the best time to travel and that his offseason research of teams traveling west to east did not yield any definitive results. Nevertheless, “I don’t know if that had anything to do with what happened,” he said.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good news about Levi. Now we actually get to see if that O-line dominance we saw in the first two games was the real thing or a mirage because we were playing two weak defenses. I'm hoping it's the former.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whisenhunt said rookie Levi Brown will return to his spot as the starting right offensive tackle this week against Detroit.

Good. The reasoning for him not starting last game was ridiculous...working out at LT.

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score
Here's an article from the Cardinals' site with some things that scare me:

hopefully he realizes the same thing that most other rookie (and newly appointed) coaches figure out quickly......let your OC call the plays

as a HC, you have WAY too many responsibilities to be worrying about that, especially when the playcalling has been piss poor of late

OP
OP
moklerman

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I would love to be wrong and have Levi solve all of the base-O woes, but 3 yards and a cloud of dust just isn't a very inspiring plan to me.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The offense DOESN'T need a makeover. It needs to be tweaked and it needs to execute.

Stins

Rookie
Reaction score
Need speed at the skill positions, none at wide recievers, none at the running back position, none at the outside ruhers whether at end or linebacker. Berry gives up on most plays and no longer has any speed and at 250-255 pounds is not strong enough.

Warner has to look to the ouside once in awhile and stop throwing into coverage over the middle. He did it all day. And Fitz running out of bounds, that set the tone for the rest of the game.

I should not have spent all that money to go to Tampa for the game, the cards didn't seem they wanted any part of playing Sunday. I believe that Wis should never give them a week off---seems like they took two weeks off. Hats off to Dockett, the only player that gave his all, everyone else was just going through the motions. It was extremely disappointing.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hopefully he realizes the same thing that most other rookie (and newly appointed) coaches figure out quickly......let your OC call the plays

as a HC, you have WAY too many responsibilities to be worrying about that, especially when the playcalling has been piss poor of late

Tell that to Bill Walsh, Shanahan, Martz, Holmgren and Sean Payton, all of whom, except Payton, have won Super Bowls while calling their own plays. I'm sure people can think of others.

There is no magic formula. Didn't Joe Gibbs call his own plays for several Super Bowl wins?

Belichick and Dungy are defensive gurus, maybe helping explain why they coach the way they do.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell that to Bill Walsh, Shanahan, Martz, Holmgren and Sean Payton, all of whom, except Payton, have won Super Bowls while calling their own plays. I'm sure people can think of others.

Martz never won a Super Bowl. Also, those guys have been proven at least with one system or another to be offensive geniuses, with multi-faceted attacks, hardly something Wiz has been associated with, no? He was a smashmouth OC, not exactly an innovator from the Bill Walsh school, like Shanny and Holmgren.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score

It doesn't make the coach look good when you just aren't getting off the ball like the OL showed last week.

Still you have to make provisions for that and utilise your backs out of the backfield more and hopefully some misdirection plays.

How about the old hand off to the middle, lateral back to Warner and hit Fitz on the fly play.:D

ItsInTheCards

Bomb2Quan
Reaction score

There is no magic formula. Didn't Joe Gibbs call his own plays for several Super Bowl wins?

Belichick and Dungy are defensive gurus, maybe helping explain why they coach the way they do.

of course there are exceptions to everything.....but Scott Linehan was a great OC that deferred to Olsen once he realized that he had other things to do. Cam Cameron is another who I'm sure wishes that he didnt have to carry the onus by himself

some can, some cant......the playcalling earlier this season in NO was completely uninspiring....was that Payton hitting a wall?

certainly after all these years, Gruden sure as hell could use one.....for all his "innovation", his Tampa offenses have been well below average

Haley was the passing game coordinator for Dallas last year taking over from Payton the year before.....I'm sure he could easily adapt whiz' paper napkin playbook and make something out of it

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
How's that working out for the Lambs...

Linehan could be the second coming of Vince Lombardi and the injuries would still has destroyed the Rams season. They might have won a game or two, but their offensive line is playing 2 to 3 Cardinal castoffs, and Bruce, Holt, and Jackson, the three best offensive players have all missed multiple games.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05