Potential defensive coordinators - my suggestions

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I don't like Greg Williams. Just like I didn't like Adrian Peterson. Don't care if it is for the Cardinals or not.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Williams for - Fierce defenses just about everywhere he's been. Like him or hate him from bounty-gate, the guy can coach a defense.

I think his base D is a 4-3, but he runs a mix of what's needed for game flow.

Williams against - Just my .02, but questions about his ethics with coaching said defense. Hopefully, that concern is behind him. Another concern I'd have is that the Cards run into a Bowles type situation where he gets plucked away for a HC job after a year or two.

FACT CHECK: Since 2008 (9 seasons), Gregg Williams has had 3 Top 10 defenses by yardage and 1 top 10 defense by points. 5 of those 9 seasons featured below-average defenses by yardage and points.

I think you may be underestimating just how important Palmer was overall to Arians success. HE carried that 13-3 season, and kept them competitive thereafter mostly. When he couldn't deliver in the NFC championship game, you saw the carnage Carolina inflicted. They really didn't challenge seriously thereafter.

:shrug:

I guess? Palmer wasn't great in all his seasons here, and the Cards managed to play .500 ball or so even when Palmer was out. I don't think that anyone's disputing that it's easier to win a playoff bye when you have a Top 12 QB; but Arians is a good coach.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
FACT CHECK: Since 2008 (9 seasons), Gregg Williams has had 3 Top 10 defenses by yardage and 1 top 10 defense by points. 5 of those 9 seasons featured below-average defenses by yardage and points.

Voice of reason as usual...thanks!

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Jimmy Lake out of Washington(Huskies).

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Two re-tweets by Chandler Jones being happy about going back to 3-4.

Who said that wasn't important? 17 sacks in 2017!

You must be registered for see images attach

I did, and for the same reason that Steve Keim mentioned during the press conference. First he said that he thought the personnel suited the 3-4 the best, yet quickly after he went on to talk about how the edge rusher on the roster likes to play man-free, which is what happens when the edge rusher lines up wide. That can be created with a 4-3 lineup as well, but it’s just more common in a 3-4.

Also, what Chandler Jones might be referring to is that he likes to start from a two point-stance. Traditionally, when a defense was more static versus dynamic, the edge rushers stood up as linebackers in a 3-4, while they tended to start from a three point-stance in a 4-3-allignement. His numbers are not a result of what people calls the defense.

I certainly stand by my notion that defenders need to be able to play various ways in various systems nowadays, and I think both the tapes and the numbers back it up.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
at DC?

Over greg Williams, del rio, marvin lewis and chuck pagano?

Seriously?

I'd take ANY of those guys immediately after Bettcher. There needs to be someone on staff who Kingsbury can lean on that's run a team before, IMO.

and why exactly would NY be letting Bettcher go in the first place?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I did, and for the same reason that Steve Keim mentioned during the press conference. First he said that he thought the personnel suited the 3-4 the best, yet quickly after he went on to talk about how the edge rusher on the roster likes to play man-free, which is what happens when the edge rusher lines up wide. That can be created with a 4-3 lineup as well, but it’s just more common in a 3-4.

Also, what Chandler Jones might be referring to is that he likes to start from a two point-stance. Traditionally, when a defense was more static versus dynamic, the edge rushers stood up as linebackers in a 3-4, while they tended to start from a three point-stance in a 4-3-allignement. His numbers are not a result of what people calls the defense.

I certainly stand by my notion that defenders need to be able to play various ways in various systems nowadays, and I think both the tapes and the numbers back it up.

You had me at 3-4. :)

You certainly know more than me sir. My knowledge stops at the front seven formation (3-4 or 4-3).

Appreciate your insight.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My knowledge stops at the front seven formation (3-4 or 4-3).

Well, often that’s enough. :) They just switch it up so that sometimes they deploy one of the fronts, and other times they deploy the other. Then there is other variations too, but it really is limited how you can line up defensively, so knowing the two primary fronts goes a long way. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Giants want to replace Bettcher, they are looking around according in NY papers.

i don't want that fat Bettch back here. His D the last couple years had nice yardage stats but below average ppg.

this team just needs to fully move on from the Arians era. It's over. Time to start completely fresh.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like Greg Williams. Just like I didn't like Adrian Peterson. Don't care if it is for the Cardinals or not.

Question for you that perhaps should be elaborated on in a draft thread:

Given that we're going back to a 3-4 is BOSA athletic enough to lineup as an outside LB?

Veer

All Star
Reaction score
Now we have to compete with the Bears for the best 3-4 DC. The Bears who boast an elite defense that's already in place. We have some great pieces as well but are far away compared to the Bears.

Thankfully there are many veteran DCs available. Gregg Williams won't be our choice probably since he is more of a 4-3 guy.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's a line of logic that has Del Rio headed for the Giants and Bettcher the odd man out.

How about having Bettcher returning to AZ?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a line of logic that has Del Rio headed for the Giants and Bettcher the odd man out.

F NO.

Taking a guy who JUST failed after one year... and who's D might have put up pretty yardages stats with below average ppg and who's never been a HC doesn't seem like the necessary piece to fill out this puzzle.

Hypothesis

Draft Junkie
Reaction score

Where is this news about Del Rio going to the Giants coming from? Only thing relating to this that I can find is from a year ago prior to the Giants hiring Bettcher.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting that they are looking at Chuck Pagano, Dom Capers, and Mike Nolan. Take that for what its worth .

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting that they are looking at Chuck Pagano, Dom Capers, and Mike Nolan. Take that for what its worth .

Pagano should absolutely be the guy. Ran a winning program with Luck for the most part. Would be a steady influence and not a dinosaur like Capers/Nolan both of whom should have been put out to pasture years ago.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
F NO.

Taking a guy who JUST failed after one year... and who's D might have put up pretty yardages stats with below average ppg and who's never been a HC doesn't seem like the necessary piece to fill out this puzzle.
In 2017, the Giants D was ranked 27th/31st. In 2018 with Bettcher, it was ranked 23rd/24th. Obviously he wasn't a savior there, but i wouldn't put the poor performance of the Giants' D in 2018 on Bettcher.

...dbs

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
In 2017, the Giants D was ranked 27th/31st. In 2018 with Bettcher, it was ranked 23rd/24th. Obviously he wasn't a savior there, but i wouldn't put the poor performance of the Giants' D in 2018 on Bettcher.

...dbs
Oy Dave, tell me you don’t want want bettcher.