Pre-season

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a passing thought, but do you remember how the Cardinals looked so good in pre-season and then really stank things up after the first game with Detroit. We went into that game with guns blazing and looked good up until the second half. I think that game was the defining point of our season last year. If we would have won that game, it could have lead to us winning the few close games we were in and maybe avoiding some of the blow-outs.

I think the expectations of the team and coaching staff were so high that losing the Detroit game took all the starch out of them and a majority of the team just kind of threw in the towel.

Hopefully this year, with a different coaching staff and accountability, if we had that same road bump (it's a very real concern that we could lose the first two games (Rams, Patriots)) that we won't fall into the same trap.

Any comments?

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
preseason victories matter about as much as winning in a practice scrimmage. they don't. starters are out in the 1st quarter, and it's scrubtastic football with guys vying for a job the rest of the game. it's the chemlab for coaches.

I have a feeling that the coaching staff this year warrants a lot more respect than anything Mac ever put together, and likewise will retain a strong level of control over the cards. losing one or two in a row, especially to those teams is actually to be expected.... but imagine the shift in attitude if we win. especially if we beat the pats.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Gnomad said:
preseason victories matter about as much as winning in a practice scrimmage. they don't. starters are out in the 1st quarter, and it's scrubtastic football with guys vying for a job the rest of the game. it's the chemlab for coaches.

I have a feeling that the coaching staff this year warrants a lot more respect than anything Mac ever put together, and likewise will retain a strong level of control over the cards. losing one or two in a row, especially to those teams is actually to be expected.... but imagine the shift in attitude if we win. especially if we beat the pats.

I agree with the preseason not meaning anything. But, the most important of the two first games is the lambs. We have not beaten them yet! Not once! It is imperitive we get that monkey off our back imediately. The Pats game can be liveable if we were to lose by less than 7.

1-1 in the first two and a division win to boot. The team can build on that.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Just a passing thought, but do you remember how the Cardinals looked so good in pre-season and then really stank things up after the first game with Detroit. We went into that game with guns blazing and looked good up until the second half. I think that game was the defining point of our season last year. If we would have won that game, it could have lead to us winning the few close games we were in and maybe avoiding some of the blow-outs.

I think the expectations of the team and coaching staff were so high that losing the Detroit game took all the starch out of them and a majority of the team just kind of threw in the towel.

Hopefully this year, with a different coaching staff and accountability, if we had that same road bump (it's a very real concern that we could lose the first two games (Rams, Patriots)) that we won't fall into the same trap.

Any comments?

I agree with you, in part. I said last preseason that it would be a good idea to get a thorough, injury-free ass-kicking for the last preseason game. I thought this because we were such a young team, that it might help to have them get embarassed when it counted so that they'd know how to turn it around and learn from getting killed.

I think that the real turning point last season was the Pittsburgh game. Coming off two close wins to good teams, the Cards had momentum. They go on the road against a team that was 2-6 at the time, and just collapsed in the third quarter. Marcel Shipp averaged 2.6 YPC, Tim Duncan missed an extra point, and the only productive player through the first three quarters was Anquan.

The team collapsed after that point, losing six in a row by a combined score of 77-200 (OMG!!). Maybe the season could have been salvaged with an overtime win against St. Louis, but it didn't happen.

Bobcat

Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
The Pats game can be liveable if we were to lose by less than 7.

1-1 in the first two and a division win to boot. The team can build on that.

Why have you conceeded the Pats game already...??? That is a very pessmistic outlook I would say. As fans we should look at every game as a win; not conceed any of them. Now that is being a true Cards, Suns, DiamondBack, Yote, merc, or Rats fan.

Come on ASFN guy's let us not conceed anything. Reallity will set in on it's own. Let us not contribute to it.

Allan

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Preseason should be for experimenting with plays, players and line-ups, not showing the league what you are going to do during the season.

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
going into any season expecting to be undefeated is a foolhearty plight. keep your goals realistic and the pain won't hurt as much when the reality sets in.

It's a common human defense mechanism, not unlike mental kung-fu.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
Preseason should be for experimenting with plays, players and line-ups, not showing the league what you are going to do during the season.
Yeah, I remember that Jurecki reported that they were intentionally not showcasing Quan in the preaseason last year.

But it was dissapointing - Damien Anderson looked incredible in the preseason, led the NFL in rushing for the 4 games. Then didn't really see the ball all year.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Bobcat said:
Why have you conceeded the Pats game already...??? That is a very pessmistic outlook I would say. As fans we should look at every game as a win; not conceed any of them. Now that is being a true Cards, Suns, DiamondBack, Yote, merc, or Rats fan.

Come on ASFN guy's let us not conceed anything. Reallity will set in on it's own. Let us not contribute to it.

Allan

Oh trust me. I'm all about the koolaide.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Oran said:
40 Year Fan:

Shouldn't you be the 41 Year Fan pretty soon?

The dude hasn't aged in four years. It's freaky. Keep a cross and some garlic with you at all times.

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
40 Year Fan:

Shouldn't you be the 41 Year Fan pretty soon?

Yeah, it should be 42 year fan, but I'm decreptit enough just having 40 years in. :D

OP
OP
40yearfan

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AzCards21 said:
The dude hasn't aged in four years. It's freaky. Keep a cross and some garlic with you at all times.

The story of my life. They used to have to lock up all the women and animals when I came to town and now they just throw garlic cloves at me. :D

Gnomad

Roamin' Gnome
Reaction score
Jim Omohundro said:
Quick...someone call the Webster's Dictionary people. You have got something here!
-tastic = the ultimate suffix. put any noun in front of it, you've got yourself an emphatic reference.

"this burrito tastes craptastic"
"2003 cards football was trashtastic"

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
i have the feeling the cardinals are going to win againist the patriots in week two. the patriots have always started out slow. so if thier is game a that the cardinals can steal away, it will be the patriots game. what a big confidence buildier that will be.

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gnomad said:
-tastic = the ultimate suffix. put any noun in front of it, you've got yourself an emphatic reference.

"this burrito tastes craptastic"
"2003 cards football was trashtastic"

Duh.....just wondering.....

How do you know what crap tastes like to be able to compare anything to it flavor-wise? :D

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Gnomad said:
going into any season expecting to be undefeated is a foolhearty plight.

We are going 16-0 BABY!

McCown breaks the record for passing yards, and TD passes!

Peace
:thumbup:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05