Prediction Time: Cardinals vs. 49ers

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Alex Smith is better than many of you give him credit for. They upgraded their team in many areas. They are at home and on the national stage. We dont seem to play to well on the road over the years. Call me crazy.
You're crazy. :trout:

Let me throw something out there...

With all this talk about how pumped the 9ers are going to be because of Bill Walsh, how many players on that team had anything to do with him? Seriously?

They are a young team that most likely grew up watching the great teams of the 90's. Not the 80's.

I'm sure most of the players could recognise his significance to the game. But I really question this notion of Bill Walsh's death motivating the 9ers to blow us off the park.

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
SF 31
AZ 20

I don't see our defense holding up against many opponents this season. Our DB's are terrible, LB's not much better, and I don't see our DL putting much pressure on the QB. Add an improved Smith to the equation along with Davis, Jackson, and Frank Gore and I don't like our chances.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't see more than 7 wins this upcoming season. There are simply too many holes

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're crazy. :trout:

Let me throw something out there...

With all this talk about how pumped the 9ers are going to be because of Bill Walsh, how many players on that team had anything to do with him? Seriously?

They are a young team that most likely grew up watching the great teams of the 90's. Not the 80's.

I'm sure most of the players could recognise his significance to the game. But I really question this notion of Bill Walsh's death motivating the 9ers to blow us off the park.

I completely agree. That the players have ZERO emotion toward Bill Walsh. butthey will feed off of a wild crowd that will be honoring him.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
27 - 23 49ers *homer pick*
Cards
Leinart - 24-35.255 yards.1 TD.1 INT
Edge - 27 Attempts.89 Yards.1 TD.4 Rec 45 Yards.
Boldin - 7 Rec.95 yards.1 TD
Fitz - 4 Rec.50 yards.
Johnson - 5 Rec.65 yards
Rackers - 3/3 FG's

49ers
Smith - 21-29.270 yards.2 TD.
Gore - 23 Attempts.115 yards.1 TD
Davis - 4 Rec. 90 Yards.1 TD
Jackson - 8 Rec.105 yards.1 TD.
Battle 5 Rec.45 yards.
Lelie - 2 Rec.30 yards.
Nedney - 2/2 FG's

It's going to be a very close, i would not be surprised one bit if the Cards win, since you guys have beaten us the last 2 years. Clement's is more than likely going to cover Fitz and will render him ineffective. Boldin however steps up and has a huge game against us. Edge has a tough time running against us (last year he average 2.8 YPC and 3.4 while playing against us and i don't see things changing) He makes up for his running game with a few receptions out of the backfield. Leinart will abuse our secondary for the most part but i don't think it will be as one sided as years past, we aren't going to stop the Card's offense, all we can do is our best. As for my Niners is expect them to come out and establish the run with Gore early in the game. Get the secondary to send a safety into the box then go over the top with the PA. I expect Smith to have a big game. We are under immense pressure to go out there and perform at a high level and i have faith that we will. :)

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
^ DUDE is crazy! I love how people think they gonna shut down fitz or boldin at best they can only hope to contain but shut down i dont think so! And to assume Edge is gonna struggle like last season.. in case no one told you its a new o-line and its already better than last year! This is NOT the same team you played last year. And Alex Smith is a mediocre QB at best right now, he has done nothing to expect him to throw for almost 300 against us thats just borderline silly. Your best bet is to try to beat us with the run period! And thats not gonna keep up with the points our O is gonna put up!!!

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
^ DUDE is crazy! I love how people think they gonna shut down fitz or boldin at best they can only hope to contain but shut down i dont think so! And to assume Edge is gonna struggle like last season.. in case no one told you its a new o-line and its already better than last year! This is NOT the same team you played last year. And Alex Smith is a mediocre QB at best right now, he has done nothing to expect him to throw for almost 300 against us thats just borderline silly. Your best bet is to try to beat us with the run period! And thats not gonna keep up with the points our O is gonna put up!!!

How crazy is it? I mean we have two pro bowl corners lining up against Boldin and Fitz. And the whole Offensive line bit is funny, are you basing this on what you saw in pre-season? And you what's funny is that Alex almost threw 300 yards against you guys last year in the opener, so i don't think its that far fetched. Your right this is not the same cardinal team is not the same as last year but you talk like your facing 49ers of last season. ;)

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score

Alex has done plenty to deserve a little faith from be, but what i want ask you is what has your defense done to better themselves? I find it silly that you think your defense is that good, i mean you added Rodderick Hood who was a 3rd Corner in Philly and you added Rodney Baily who was used for depth in Pitt, you also added Terrance Holt who is a Detroit reject who couldn't cover to save his life.

Last edited:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Alex has done plenty to deserve a little faith from be, but what i want ask you is what has your defense done to better themselves? I find it silly that you think your defense is that good, i mean you added Rodderick Hood who was a 3rd Corner in Philly and you added Rodney Baily who was used for depth in Pitt, you also added Terrance Holt who is a Detroit reject who couldn't cover to save his life.
First of all get out of here this is a Cards fan forum, you don't see me stinking up the 9ers joint do you? A little courtesy please.

As for my prediction

AZ 31
SF 30

Leinart 230 yards 2 TD's 1 INT
Smith 190 yards 2 TD's 2 INT

Gore 125 yards rushing 15 Rec yards
Edge 96 yards rushing 30 Rec yards

Boldin 115 Rec Yards 1 TD 35 passing yards (look for it in the first half) 12 Rushing yards
Fitz 60 Rec yards
Pope 10 Rec yards TD

The Niners fail a 2 pt conversion to tie the game, Leinart takes a knee to end it baby! This game could go either way, whoever has the ball last wins.

There's a lot of pressure for the Niners this year, I think the youth, inexperience and pressure will be too much for them like it was for the Cards.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I think the Niners are going to move up and down the field at will. 300 yards passing for Smith and over 100 yards for Gore. But Smith can throw some INT's and Gore with the pad on his hand will be like a bullzeye for the defenders and I think he fumbles twice. Not a single punt in the first half of play by either team.

So with us winning the turn over battle 1 to 3, winning the field position battle on special teams, and relying on 2 50+ yard field goals from Rackers, we sneak out a win and game where if someone looked at the stats would think the Niners won.

Cards - 27
Niners - 26

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How crazy is it? I mean we have two pro bowl corners lining up against Boldin and Fitz. And the whole Offensive line bit is funny, are you basing this on what you saw in pre-season? And you what's funny is that Alex almost threw 300 yards against you guys last year in the opener, so i don't think its that far fetched. Your right this is not the same cardinal team is not the same as last year but you talk like your facing 49ers of last season. ;)
If I were a niners fan I would take Fitz and Q ANYDAY over Clements and Harris. Any educated football fan would.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
sorry

i will leave this forum once i get a response from nashman. hopefully i didn't scare him away. :|

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
If I were a niners fan I would take Fitz and Q ANYDAY over Clements and Harris. Any educated football fan would.

I agree to a certain degree, but please keep underestimating Clements i can't wait to see him disable either Fitz or Boldin come monday night. btw nice little jab there with the educated football fan comment, those are hard to come by now a day's. ;)

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Get the secondary to send a safety into the box then go over the top with the PA. I expect Smith to have a big game. We are under immense pressure to go out there and perform at a high level and i have faith that we will. :)

Wilson is going to be in the box most of the day no matter what. Thats just where he plays best.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Wilson is going to be in the box most of the day no matter what. Thats just where he plays best.

well of course that is expected. Who is starting next to Wilson at the free safety position? Holt? Griffith?

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I agree to a certain degree, but please keep underestimating Clements i can't wait to see him disable either Fitz or Boldin come monday night. btw nice little jab there with the educated football fan comment, those are hard to come by now a day's. ;)

Clements shut down Q his rookie year. I think they are both different players, but Q has the edge because he is big, physical and has attitude. That said I agree Clements will be on Fitz and there is no way anyone is going to shut down Fitz, maybe one time certainly not twice.

I am not saying this because I am a Cards fan, there are very few WR's I would take over them, I would probably take Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and would consider Tory Holt(and I would have a tough time with even those three) but these guys when it is all said and done are going to do serious damage to a lot of D backfields.

Harris and Clements are awesome but there is no way they are going to shut those guys down, just like there is now way Fitz and Q will have it easy against them. All four are great players and have too much ability and talent to render each other ineffective.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
well of course that is expected. Who is starting next to Wilson at the free safety position? Holt? Griffith?

Griffith is gone.

The FS spot was upgraded in the speed department but other then that it is still a sore part of the D at this point in time.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The niners will take this one away from the Cards.
SF:28
AZ:20

The board will have a meltdown.

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Clements shut down Q his rookie year. I think they are both different players, but Q has the edge because he is big, physical and has attitude. That said I agree Clements will be on Fitz and there is no way anyone is going to shut down Fitz, maybe one time certainly not twice.

I am not saying this because I am a Cards fan, there are very few WR's I would take over them, I would probably take Steve Smith, Marvin Harrison and would consider Tory Holt(and I would have a tough time with even those three) but these guys when it is all said and done are going to do serious damage to a lot of D backfields.

Harris and Clements are awesome but there is no way they are going to shut those guys down, just like there is now way Fitz and Q will have it easy against them. All four are great players and have too much ability and talent to render each other ineffective.

I never said shut down, what i said was saying was that he was going to disable or render fitz(or whoever clements is covering) ineffective in the context of not allowing fitz to dominate like he usually does(my bad maybe i should have been more clear). Let me try this again, what i am saying is that Clements is going to put on the heat and take whoever he is covering out of the game by limiting there receptions. I don't think clements is capable of completely shutting down either boldin or fitz but what i think he can do is take them out of there element and limit there effectiveness. I agree that Boldin and Fitz are amazing receivers and they will give any CB trouble but i have faith in that clements will hold his own.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I never said shut down, what i said was saying was that he was going to disable or render fitz(or whoever clements is covering) ineffective in the context of not allowing fitz to dominate like he usually does(my bad maybe i should have been more clear). Let me try this again, what i am saying is that Clements is going to put on the heat and take whoever he is covering out of the game by limiting there receptions. I don't think clements is capable of completely shutting down either boldin or fitz but what i think he can do is take them out of there element and limit there effectiveness. I agree that Boldin and Fitz are amazing receivers and they will give any CB trouble but i have faith in that clements will hold his own.

Yeah, so what you said shut down. What the do you think that is saying?!

The Dude

Rookie
Reaction score
Yeah, so what you said shut down. What the do you think that is saying?!

when someone says shut down a receiver that in my mind is completely taking someone out of the game and not allowing them any receptions, nothing zilch nada.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually, I know I already predicted we would lose, but to be honest, I have literally no idea what to expect from MNF. The only thing I KNOW I can predict is that I will inevitably want to kill my best friend (a HUGE Arizona sports fan jinx who I will get to watch the game with in Chi-town) when we inevitably get a seemingly unlosable lead and he orders "victory shots" only to see us fumble on the next play and have it returned for a TD.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
when someone says shut down a receiver that in my mind is completely taking someone out of the game and not allowing them any receptions, nothing zilch nada.

Or rendering them ineffective wouldn't you say? To me if you render someone or something ineffective, didn't you in an essence shut it down?

There is no way Fitz or Q will be rendered ineffective as you say just like Fitz and Q won't render Harris and Clements ineffective. They will get the better of each other throughout the game. Is Q or Fitz going to catch 10 passes for 125 yards? Probably not. Will they catch 4-8 passes for 60-80 yards probably. In order to render either guy ineffective they would pretty much have to catch nothing, zilch, nada see what I'm getting at?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05