QB Situation

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
Many people have commented that you can't go into a season with one QB that has only started four games, one QB that has never started a game, and one rookie QB. They say that it is suicide for the season and it will never happen. I have to disagree with that opinion. If the Cards take a QB at the third pick, then they will have three very young, and supposedly three very talented athletes. Despite what Green says, I don't think he really believes that he will take a 4-12 team to the promised land of the Lombardi trophy in one season...even though a majority of those losses could be blamed on completely inept coaching. Why waste another year playing a veteran QB that won't be around in two years. I say draft the QB, then throw all three to the wolves next year and watch the true QB emerge!

Also, I really don't believe that a receiver is a pressing need for the first round. There are plenty in the draft, and Rashaun Woods may be available at pick 33. He may very well be the steal of the draft. Did anybody see the top ten hits of the season on Sportscenter. Poole was in it. He caught a ball over the middle and took a hit that made a snot bubble come out of my nose. He held onto the ball! The guy makes good catches and holds onto it. Boldin, Johnson, and Poole sound pretty good. Our receiver needs can be addressed in free agency...IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem in this scenario is if you have THREE young QB's, I don't care how good Green and his coaching staff is, how can you possibly spend enough time coaching EACH guy?

Typically you have the vet(Blake) a backup(McCown) and the hotshot rookie(Ben). You start the year with Blake #1 and Ben #3 with the assumption that you spend a lot of time working with Ben so by the end of the year, Ben is #1, and Blake probably falls to #3.

It was going to be awkward enough to do this as it was because Josh is young, talented, and raw, and he needs the same work you're giving Ben, but if you now add Parsons to the mix too, that's 3 young guys you have to spend time with. Some can be combined obviously, but some can't, some has to be one on one repetition.

To give all the 3 level of coaching they need, if you REALLY believe all 3 are potential starters, you'd be ignoring the rest of your offense. 2 is doable but 3 guys with 3 years or less experience I think is a guarantee one or more of them will not get enough time with the coaches.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
The problem in this scenario is if you have THREE young QB's, I don't care how good Green and his coaching staff is, how can you possibly spend enough time coaching EACH guy?

Typically you have the vet(Blake) a backup(McCown) and the hotshot rookie(Ben). You start the year with Blake #1 and Ben #3 with the assumption that you spend a lot of time working with Ben so by the end of the year, Ben is #1, and Blake probably falls to #3.

I'm confused about this, too. The most logical explanation is that Green is sold on McCown and he wants to bring in a veteran, who is better teacher. BUT, is this plausible?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I think we will not take a QB in the first two rounds this year. I think for better or worse, McCown is our man.

When Green says he'll "take the best available athlete at #3 and if that's a QB it's a QB," he's throwing up a smoke screen. I'll bet we trade with a team like Pittsburgh or Cleveland or take a WR.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it (for now).;)

BuckeyeCardinal

Cantankerous Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Druthers

I'd rather that the 3 QB's be......Josh......one of the Big 2.....and a veteran who know he's here to back-up/coach/and help the new kids get adjusted to the game.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

It was going to be awkward enough to do this as it was because Josh is young, talented, and raw, and he needs the same work you're giving Ben, but if you now add Parsons to the mix too, that's 3 young guys you have to spend time with. Some can be combined obviously, but some can't, some has to be one on one repetition.

To give all the 3 level of coaching they need, if you REALLY believe all 3 are potential starters, you'd be ignoring the rest of your offense. 2 is doable but 3 guys with 3 years or less experience I think is a guarantee one or more of them will not get enough time with the coaches.

Maybe he figures with the two extra camps he gets this year that will be enough time. At least enough to determine if the talent level really is there.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score

Very true.

And it is suicide especially if you believe the talk the Dreen is saying he can win while building the team. You wont win with 3 young QB's and no veteren

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OhioCardsfan, glad to see long-time ASFN members who haven't posted much express an opinion.

Don't be a stranger!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You had a proven vet on the team last year and you stopped using him by the end of the year cause he sucked.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
The more I think about it, the more I think we will not take a QB in the first two rounds this year. I think for better or worse, McCown is our man.

When Green says he'll "take the best available athlete at #3 and if that's a QB it's a QB," he's throwing up a smoke screen. I'll bet we trade with a team like Pittsburgh or Cleveland or take a WR.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it (for now).;)

And with that being said.

We take Johnny Studd WR I think his name is Fitzgerald. And Destroy our divisions's week 2ndaries.

Is having 2 great young WR on this team a bad idea? I know there are more pressing matters but a combo like this can WIN GAMES!

:thumbup:

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by RugbyMuffin
And with that being said.

We take Johnny Studd WR I think his name is Fitzgerald. And Destroy our divisions's week 2ndaries.

Is having 2 great young WR on this team a bad idea? I know there are more pressing matters but a combo like this can WIN GAMES!

:thumbup:

How about depleting a conference foes defense, Say, Shaun Springs?

No way he goes back to Seattle. I know they are down on him hard but that could be an option for us.

I think Green could bring in these type of players and get good results.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
How about depleting a conference foes defense, Say, Shaun Springs?

No way he goes back to Seattle. I know they are down on him hard but that could be an option for us.

I think Green could bring in these type of players and get good results.

21, Springs makes me nervous on 2 levels. First, he seems to be dinged alot...with alot of nagging injuries that seem to keep him out. These injuries seem to be ones other guys play through. I don't think he has played every game in each of the last 3 maybe 4 years.

Second, he is one bad choice or one mistake away from a 1 year suspension for the league since he has already been busted for steroids (allergy meds I think).

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
21, Springs makes me nervous on 2 levels. First, he seems to be dinged alot...with alot of nagging injuries that seem to keep him out. These injuries seem to be ones other guys play through. I don't think he has played every game in each of the last 3 maybe 4 years.

Second, he is one bad choice or one mistake away from a 1 year suspension for the league since he has already been busted for steroids (allergy meds I think).

Yikes, True about the suspension. I just don't think he cares about Seattle or Holmgren. If you are injured you will play if you like your team and coach.

I don't think Springs ever felt the warm and fuzzy in Seattle. They just didn't get along. He just may prove his draft position wasn't wrong with a guy like Green.

Green is our key. FA will get very interesting from here on out. I would not be shocked if Springs is a target.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by AzCards21
Yikes, True about the suspension. I just don't think he cares about Seattle or Holmgren. If you are injured you will play if you like your team and coach.

I don't think Springs ever felt the warm and fuzzy in Seattle. They just didn't get along. He just may prove his draft position wasn't wrong with a guy like Green.

Green is our key. FA will get very interesting from here on out. I would not be shocked if Springs is a target.

Yeah, there seems to be some dis-satisfaction from Springs regarding the Seahawks. Not sure what the problem is but I bet Holmgren was trying to push him and he tuned out...just a guess.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he is brought in during FA...it would still make me nervous though.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Originally posted by AZCB34
Yeah, there seems to be some dis-satisfaction from Springs regarding the Seahawks. Not sure what the problem is but I bet Holmgren was trying to push him and he tuned out...just a guess.

I wouldn't be shocked at all if he is brought in during FA...it would still make me nervous though.

I'd be nervous too, reserved nervous.
I just don't understand his short comings in Seattle. The fit just doesn't seem right. He always seems to play at 50%. Who's fault is that? Springs or the team? Maybe a combo of both.

I think Springs will be a little like a daycare student. Needs some more attention. Can Green provide that? History says all attention will be on the offensive players. But just maybe Springs will find a home.

I wouldn't be too bummed if he was brought in.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05