Questions for all you Training Camp Vets

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
I'm moving to Vegas the 1st of August and this will be the first time that I'll be close enough to check it out. I want to bring the boy down and have a good time, but I've never been and don't have a clue as to how it all goes down. :shrug:

when is it usally held?
What are the best days/time to go?
When/where should I book a Hotel?
Where is the most fan/player interaction?

I saw on another MB a sticky where everyone posted their TC tips, tricks and secrets. Maybe we could do something like that as well.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'm not the only TC virgin that would like to check it out. :notworthy :cheers:

Last edited:

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
THe closest training camp will be at Norther Arizona University.
The best interaction (and everyone will tell you if I am wrong) will be after the practice as they walk back to the changing rooms and also at the meet the players...
The best hotel (very subjective) is the Radison in town, but they are all just a bed. Just stay away from the Best Western Pony Inn. It is right on the railroad track and on Route 66. Very loud....

You will have a great time. Great family experience. I know that it will be a little cooler than Vegas, but bring sun screen....

:thumbup:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SouthNZoneFan said:
You will have a great time. Great family experience. I know that it will be a little cooler than Vegas, but bring sun screen....

:thumbup:

This can't be said enough; I went to school in flag, and worked Cards camps. I rarely wear sunscreen, and rarely burn (due to Cherokee in my lineage, I suppose). However, when I first went to NAU for orientation, I got a terrible sunburn...the high altitude and thin air make for a rip roaring good time for the sun. However, the weather itself is absolutely amazing. I love Flag, so nice.

Too bad you can't go to San Felipe Cantina...I love that bar. So awesome, and girls dancing on the bar is awesome.

Grab some wings and ribs at Granny's Closet--they used to be a dime each a few years back, but I think they raised their prices.

Training camp is awesome..you'll love it.

GreenCard

Reaction score
Just stay with this board and you will get your brain stuffed with information on Flag,Hotels,Motels,eating houses,places for kids,best time to go---Trust me.I'm waiting for all that good stuff myself.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
wondering

Am I alone in thinking this would be a very very very good year to experience the joys of Flagstaff in August?;)

seesred

Reaction score
I've been going up for over 10 years. It's amazing that you walk through the woods and all of a sudden these beautifull football fields appear.Looking around you see the pines and the mountains. Bring a blanket, chairs and something that can keep cool drinks.There are stands that were put up a few years back, I like my own comfy chair. The kids can get real closer to the players and almost all will gladly give autographs between and after training. Bring a camara. Players will take pictures especially with children.

It's great fun, it's thin air,It smells great, it's changing weather, it's a true blast. I can't wait. I missed last year when they went to Prescott for the last week of training camp. That is got to be great as well. And the most important thing that this is it's cardinal football time! I stayed in ther INN suites a couple of times and they have a breakfast deal. Have fun !

GBR

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:
I'm moving to Vegas the 1st of August and this will be the first time that I'll be close enough to check it out. I want to bring the boy down and have a good time, but I've never been and don't have a clue as to how it all goes down. :shrug:

when is it usally held?

The best time to go to camp is during the first two weeks, before the preseason games start. Weekdays are best. When camp dates are announced, we'll put up a list of motels.

Count on camp starting somewhere around July 17.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Red Air Force said:

when is it usally held?

I saw on another MB a sticky where everyone posted their TC tips, tricks and secrets. Maybe we could do something like that as well.

Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'm not the only TC virgin that would like to check it out. :notworthy :cheers:

Let me be the first to welcome you to Vegas! :thumbup:

OP
OP
Red Air Force

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
LVCARDFREAK said:
Let me be the first to welcome you to Vegas! :thumbup:

Thanks man, I'm lookin foward to it, and anxious to get out of Podunk Lompoc. The weather's great, but I need more than 1 good restraunt to be happy.

I was curious, i'd heard that the Cards were courting LV as a secondary market, have you seen any of that?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
RAF,

I would definately talk to Shane H. He is a training camp junkie and lives in Vegas as well.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure but I believe there is a local station that carries the games. Radio on the Cardinals radio network. You might even see most of the games over there on TV.

GBR

Angryguy

Reaction score
You will have a blast at training camp. The best time to go would be the weekend of the scrimmage game. Usually this happens the first weekend of August, but I haven't heard anything about this years scrimmage game. The website will post when the game is and how to buy tickets. Last year you could order them over the phone, or you could buy them at NAU in person. Before the scrimmage game they will do a kids autograph session, but you can get just about any players autograph if you hang out along the walkway between the training fields and the Skydome. I have stayed at the Amerisuites and La Quinta hotels and I haven't had any problems with train noise. Go to www.flagstaffreservations.com for decent priced hotels. You can also go to www.flagstaff.com for Flagstaff info. It is a good time and worth the drive.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
The best time to go to camp is during the first two weeks, before the preseason games start. Weekdays are best. When camp dates are announced, we'll put up a list of motels.

Count on camp starting somewhere around July 17.

Training camp for the Cards will open on August 1st. That's what Pasch announced at the Fan Fest.

OP
OP
Red Air Force

Red Air Force

DILLIGAFF
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
Training camp for the Cards will open on August 1st. That's what Pasch announced at the Fan Fest.

Thats awesome, perfect timing for me. :thumbup: :thumbup:

I alwasy hear Skkorp buggin about all the Hotels being booked. How soon should I make a rez?

Angryguy

Reaction score
If camp starts August 1, then the scrimmage game should be August 6th. I would book your hotel as soon as you can afford it. Most hotels don't charge anything if you have to change your reservation dates or cancel within a certain time frame. Just double check with the hotel before you book anything.

CronosCard

Veteran
Reaction score
"..And in this corner.."

I may need to find some female companionship to help me wile the lonely nights between the Cards practices this year; do any of you gentlemen know where a lonely, ugly old fart like me might find some young ladies to party with in Flagstaff, preferably a private party? I don't know the area that well, and am not really into the bar scene too much. But Days of Cards and nights of whiskey sours and good company would do my old heart some good..
GO CARDS!!! :cool: :newcards: :cheers:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05