Radio suggesting PP is a bust already

Black T

Reaction score
ALL Ive been hearing for the past week on the radio - specifically Burns and Gambo on Sports 620 (also heard a mention on 910) is how Patrick Peterson is potentially a bust.

They're saying how he hasnt shown anything thus far that makes him 'the most bust proof pick in the draft' and just the way they are talking makes it sound like hes a failure already.

Its 3 weeks into the preseason, hes a rookie. Cant tell you how enraged I felt listening to that. Im 99% sure it was just something to talk about on a newsless day and they were just grabbing at straws, but still.

Lets say PP was a dynamo in camp, killing it. Whiz still wouldnt start him because thats his thing. Dont know why, but Ken is allergic to rookies starting. Secondly, besides QB, CB is the most difficult position for a rookie to excel at. Its ridiculous to think hes just going to walk in and dominate.

He has yet to get burned in any preseason game. Hes gotten beat and scored on, but not burned on anyway. Hes still in great position, much better than most rookies. You seen the Ravens game last night? jimmie Smith got BUURRNNED. PP has not.

I know you guys dont feel this way, Im just venting on what I heard on the radio. I always enjoy listening to those guys but they really irked me with this one. They were subtly comparing him to Levi Brown as a bust status. It was insane, neve called into a show before but I was about to. Dont think they wouldve appreciated my profanity fueled response either.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course he's going to be somewhat of a bust, but not nearly on Levi's level. We haven't had a first round pick in the last ten years who wasn't one other than Fitz. I guess DRC wasn't but he was definitely a disappointment when you look at his talent level.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait until he returns a punt for a TD. Sounds like some radio guys want to stir things up. No way, imo, he's a bust. He has good size and speed and seems like a willing tackler. Just lacks experience. He's not yet a starter because AJ Jefferson is playing so well, but he'll be on the field quite a bit tonight. If they can say he's potentially a bust, I can say, he's potentially a star.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
In reality, you can't tell if a guy is going to be a bust till after a few years in the league.

It took Adrian Wilson about 4 years to do anything really, some people, coughmecough, wanted to get rid of him. Look want happened.

Furthermore, I would like to hear of ANY CB rookie that is doing well right now.

Guy has been play football in the NFL for 30 days.

I mean, there is no way they would say such a thing to instigate fans to listen to their show.....never. :D

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
With the absence of a true offseason, it is going to be difficult to tell if a rookie, especially PP, is going to bust in their first year. DRC was virtually irrelevant the first half of 2008 and turned out just fine.

It's gonna take him sometime to adjust. There is no reason to be concerned.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The talk of PP being a bust at defensive back at this early date is absurd. However, if such were the case, he could be that speed WR that could stretch the field.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mistake one - listening to the blowhard Yankee Fan Gambo.
Mistake two - not turning off the radio after listening to him for more than a few seconds
Mistake three - putting any credibility behind anythnig he says

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Mistake one - listening to the blowhard Yankee Fan Gambo.
Mistake two - not turning off the radio after listening to him for more than a few seconds
Mistake three - putting any credibility behind anythnig he says

Agree on all counts

It's a shame that Asher is no longer there to abate some of his obnoxious commentary.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
So DRC, with a full offseason of work, doesn't get into the starting lineup until about halfway through his first year. Everyone seemed okay with that.

PP, without an offseason of work, isn't starting the 3rd pre season game and therefore is a bust.

BTW: I remember Antrelle Rolle starting at corner from the beginning, and looking really
good in the preseason. We obviously know how that turned out at CB.

If by the second half of the season, if PP isn't playing many snaps (not even starting) then it's time to start being concerned.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Lame. Gambo sucks. If PP is eventually a bust, we will not know that for a couple years. He might not get on the field as fast as we'd like, but when he does, he will be special.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
The reason PP21 has bust potential is because of the sheme he's going to be "so-called" playing in. Horton said from day 1 he will blitz & play zone behind it...that's not Peterson's strength, he's a press CB. I heard draft experts worry about his ability to produce in NFL zones so lets hope #21 is the only thing he has in common with Rolle.

seesred

Reaction score
I'm suggesting that anyone who would call the best athlete in the draft after less than a month of practice ,should be sent back to where he came from. There si very little I've seen that could even Suggest anything other than a player that needs time on the field and in the classroom.

Can't wait to see the game tonight.

GBR

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So DRC, with a full offseason of work, doesn't get into the starting lineup until about halfway through his first year. Everyone seemed okay with that.

PP, without an offseason of work, isn't starting the 3rd pre season game and therefore is a bust.

BTW: I remember Antrelle Rolle starting at corner from the beginning, and looking really
good in the preseason. We obviously know how that turned out at CB.

If by the second half of the season, if PP isn't playing many snaps (not even starting) then it's time to start being concerned.

DRC played college at Tennessee State not LSU so there is a big difference.

Antrel Rolle was not a bad CB especially considering who the HC and DBs coaches were at the time. If I remember correctly the DB coach was some buddy of Denny's and couldn't coach a lick.

PP21, who played in the SEC and was voted the Nations top defender and top Defensive Back and First Team All-American, has competition at CB from an UDFA from Fresno State, A 4th round pick from St.Paul's, and a guy who was not re-signed by the worst team in the NFL.

He should be on the same track as Darrelle Revis or Aeneas Williams not Marshay Green or David Barrett and have the #1 job locked down by Sept 11.

In fact I bet PP21 blocks a FG tonight.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

Antrel Rolle was not a bad CB especially considering who the HC and DBs coaches were at the time. If I remember correctly the DB coach was some buddy of Denny's and couldn't coach a lick.

PP21, who played in the SEC and was voted the Nations top defender and top Defensive Back and First Team All-American, has competition at CB from an UDFA from Fresno State, A 4th round pick from St.Paul's, and a guy who was not re-signed by the worst team in the NFL.

He should be on the same track as Darrelle Revis or Aeneas Williams not Marshay Green or David Barrett and have the #1 job locked down by Sept 11.

I think the potential mistake people are making is that they assume "not starting" = "doesnt have NFL CB skill".

I think "not starting" = "doesnt know the defense well" and is direct function of not having an offseason of work. While playing in the SEC means he faced top notch competition, it doesn't mean he played in a particularly sophisticated defense.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Funny that you mention David Barrett, guess who was the other starting CB for the Jets when Revis was a rookie? The top backups were a 2nd year Drew Coleman and a 3rd year Justin Miller.

Revis took 8 games to get his first pick, Aeneas was a freak, according to Pro Football reference he had picks in each of his first 2 games and 6 as a rookie(Revis had 3).

It's pretty unlikely any rookie this year is going to be that good right away with such an abbreviate camp.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Funny that you mention David Barrett, guess who was the other starting CB for the Jets when Revis was a rookie? The top backups were a 2nd year Drew Coleman and a 3rd year Justin Miller.

Revis took 8 games to get his first pick, Aeneas was a freak, according to Pro Football reference he had picks in each of his first 2 games and 6 as a rookie(Revis had 3).

It's pretty unlikely any rookie this year is going to be that good right away with such an abbreviate camp.

Funny that you should mention it took Revis 8 games to get his first pick. People are talking about Peterson taking 8 games to get his first start.
Revis started all 16. And why can't PP21 be a freak and play as a rookie like Aeneas did? #1 DB in the country!

I'm sick of excuses and lowered expectations for Cardinal players. Especially the first round picks. I want to read about how Gambo and Ash and Jerecki and Wolfley and Urban and Somers are talking about how great our #1 guy looks. Come on Peterson step up.

As for the short off season. Too bad PP21 isn't a rush DE. Simeon Rice held out until Columbus Day and still rang up 12.5 sacks as a rookie. :D

kps0001

Warriors Come Out And Plaaaay!
Reaction score
In all fairness to Gambo and Burns they were discussing this topic but both, pretty much emphatically, agreed it was way too early to say he is a bust. Like everyone they said they would like to see more out of him at this stage that gave him the "most bust proof" status in the draft.

Seandonic

Gotta love that Cardinal red!
Reaction score
The reason PP21 has bust potential is because of the sheme he's going to be "so-called" playing in. Horton said from day 1 he will blitz & play zone behind it...that's not Peterson's strength, he's a press CB. I heard draft experts worry about his ability to produce in NFL zones so lets hope #21 is the only thing he has in common with Rolle.
^This^ is a very accurate statement.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
In all fairness to Gambo and Burns they were discussing this topic but both, pretty much emphatically, agreed it was way too early to say he is a bust. Like everyone they said they would like to see more out of him at this stage that gave him the "most bust proof" status in the draft.

Agreed. To call him a bust at this point is premature but dadgummit why can't he have them talking about how solid he looks and the potential he's displayed instead? DeMarco Sampson has. Of course then Sampson goes out and tweaks his hamstring.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Interesting.

Funny too that Justin Miller is now on the Cardinals roster.

Last edited:

FrustratedFan04

All Star
Reaction score
This points out the immutable truth that the draft is a crap shoot. No one knows how the players will turn out. When we took him they were dancing in the streets. If he's a bust, he's not the first and he won't be the last. I do expect him to be the starter given the accolades. If he's NOT the starter by week 6 he's already a "bust".....