Random Thoughts...

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
So heres some random thoughts on the game....

- We won! At least we didnt give the game up
- 3rd Down conversions really helped
- Obviously redzone conversions in the first 3 posessions were key
- TV Timeouts SUCK!! So annoying
- Marcell Shipp is still the man IMO, he's kickin butt on ST
- Quan was a beast in the second half, loved watchin it
- Edge worked his tail off for every one of those yards
- Warner was sharp to start, then he got a bit over zealous, didnt take care of the ball ie. fumble, OL batting the balls
- D was weak, we are WAY better than that. first game though....
- We stank at defending the screen pass
- We're gonna be alright this year, work a couple things out, and we're off to the races

- But mostly WE'RE 1 - 0!!
- and last but not least, pregame ceremonies were Awesome! I might be the only one but my eyes welled up when 64,000+ people fell silent "in our house"

GO CARDS!!

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
DaCards said:
So heres some random thoughts on the game....

- We won! At least we didnt give the game up
- 3rd Down conversions really helped
- Obviously redzone conversions in the first 3 posessions were key
- TV Timeouts SUCK!! So annoying
- Marcell Shipp is still the man IMO, he's kickin butt on ST
- Quan was a beast in the second half, loved watchin it
- Edge worked his tail off for every one of those yards
- Warner was sharp to start, then he got a bit over zealous, didnt take care of the ball ie. fumble, OL batting the balls
- D was weak, we are WAY better than that. first game though....
- We stank at defending the screen pass
- We're gonna be alright this year, work a couple things out, and we're off to the races

- But mostly WE'RE 1 - 0!!
- and last but not least, pregame ceremonies were Awesome! I might be the only one but my eyes welled up when 64,000+ people fell silent "in our house"

GO CARDS!!

Warner threw for over 300 yds. Not many NFL QB's did that yesterday. This guy is still a top notch NFL QB. Give him some time and he will eat your lunch.

Codeofhammurabi

Cards Fan Since 1971
Reaction score
john h said:
Warner threw for over 300 yds. Not many NFL QB's did that yesterday. This guy is still a top notch NFL QB. Give him some time and he will eat your lunch.

When Warner had time to throw; I thought it was as good as he had looked as a Cardinal. He threw some great balls yesterday. When he was hurried, he had some problems.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
john h said:

It's kind of funny that Warner is getting more praise from the media than the fans here. Deion picked him as a Prime Time Perormer yesterday and Bordow wrote a column saying Warner saved the day.

If he plays 14 or more games this year, he WILL be selected for the Pro Bowl. Write it down now.

OP
OP
DaCards

DaCards

I Heart the Cardinals!!
Reaction score
I know he played well, I just felt that he needed to take care of the ball a little better, ie. that stupid left handed forward pass for the intentional grounding penalty and then that fumble. But all these are aimless complaints cause the fact is that this was the first game of the year. So everyone is workin on getting comfortable. Warner WILL stay healthy this year and like you said AJ he'll be a pro bowler again!!

Hopefully Seattle plays like they did against Detroit this Sunday. Or better yet.....hopefully Hasselbeck plays like Plummer this Sunday.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
You know, Indy and the G-men didn't look very stellar for their first games as well. Seattle looked pretty average. My biggest thing is, Cardinals of the past would have found a way to loose this game!!

Even with all the penalties we still won.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
My own thoughts:

What's up with Fitzgerald dropping the ball? What another?

The Rams will be just as scary as the Seahawks, if not more so, all because of Stephen Jackson, he's fresh and if the Rams balance the attack like we all know they can and the Defense shows up like I think they will, the Division will have to take a serious look at them as a contender.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DaCards said:
I know he played well, I just felt that he needed to take care of the ball a little better, ie. that stupid left handed forward pass for the intentional grounding penalty and then that fumble. But all these are aimless complaints cause the fact is that this was the first game of the year. So everyone is workin on getting comfortable. Warner WILL stay healthy this year and like you said AJ he'll be a pro bowler again!!

OK raise your hands if you knew before yesterday about the rule change that an unnatural motion throw has to hit the player or it's grounding? I certainly didn't know that. Obviously you would THINK the Cards coaches knew it and told the players but a guy Warner's age has been playing his entire career one way, certainly can't be shocked that in the heat of battle he didn't realize that rule.

I thought Kurt overall played great. He held the ball too long on the fumble IMHO but for the most part he did a nice job. The worst play all day was simply Boldin going out as he was throwing the ball in, other than that he wasn't careless with the ball and he made a lot of really tough throws including that one that Fitz dropped largely because he was surprised Warner got it over the DB.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
My random thoughts:

For the lackluster running stats, I thought there was a key bright spot, and possibly the difference in the game:

The Cards got the ball with 8:48 left in the game and a seven point lead. They then moved to the SF 10 yard line with a 11 play drive that was 9 runs and 2 passes. The drive ended with a field goal for a two possesion lead and only 1:50 left on the clock and the 49ers out of time outs.

Last year, this didnt happen --

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Had to get some work done during the game wasn't able to get all details, but here are some quick thoughts....

- A win is a win is a win

- This team is much better than yesterday. I'm not sure if the team got too much swagger over the off-season or are the players already looking ahead to next week at Seattle. But I believe most of the penalties were a result of this team believing the game was going to be a walk-over, and the team got frustated as the game went with the 49'ers still hanging around. This also resulted in several uncharactaristic mental break-downs from Boldin, Fitz Berry etc.

- The run game will improve during the season. It wasn't pretty, but it was a huge improvement over last season. The O-Line missed several blocks, BUT looked much better off the line. The FG drive in the 4th was better than anything we saw last year. I definately see a change in the OL's mentality - now we just need better execution.

- Extremely dissapointed over Wells' performance. He looked bad at G. He should be moved to C, where he would be a upgrade over Step AND where he has the biggest upside IMO.

- Warner need to get rid of the ball faster. Warner can be blamed for much of the pressure himself. He hung on to the ball too long.

- Milligan was a steal.

- Can't wait to see Watson healthy and in the DL rotation.

- Big looked good despite the FS

- The CBs were in a no-win situation yesterday. They need more safety help OR a better pass-rush

Last edited:

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
en fuego said:
My random thoughts:

For the lackluster running stats, I thought there was a key bright spot, and possibly the difference in the game:

The Cards got the ball with 8:48 left in the game and a seven point lead. They then moved to the SF 10 yard line with a 11 play drive that was 9 runs and 2 passes. The drive ended with a field goal for a two possesion lead and only 1:50 left on the clock and the 49ers out of time outs.

Last year, this didnt happen --

some fine points indeed....when was the last time they could go on an 11 play drive and run 9 times.....OJ Anderson days......maybe the fourth quarter is what we can expect to see in the future...the line played well in the fourth.

last year we had to be at the top of our below average selves to win a game.....today the defense needed to play better but we won....we would have to be playing the little sisters of the poor to win like this last year

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I noticed former Cardinals Wragge was starting at guard for the niners.... and we could force a pass rush?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05