Rank/Rate Our Position Groups

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Dortch and Zay may both be gone after this year. We don't know if Wilson will hold up or be anything more than a 3.

Instead of solidifying the position we could still be saying we need another WR next year.

And if we're going for vets near 30 "for a year" then we could have really invested into the position to help bolster the position for Kyler. Not get a guy the Jags brought in 3 guys to get rid of.
You can't fix every position in an off-season.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You can't fix every position in an off-season.
Here's the difference.

We had a bundle of draft picks (in the most talented WR class in years) and cap space. WR was a major concern, especially during the time Michael Wilson was injured and then went multiple games without a catch.

Yes we got Marv, but we tore down the team to get Marv. You say we cant fix every position in an offseason and yet we drafted a RB when the running game wasn't as heavy of an issue. Especially with Carter as the backup and the ability to get a RB of probably equal value later in the draft as well. We drafted Tip who could very well begin and end the season as TE 3. And then late round Palmer who is a project and I think the Zay Jones decision almost makes it seem like unless he's outstanding he might be a practice squad guy.

We absolutely could have fixed WR in an offseason. We just chose not to because they don't value the position as much (Marv again was an obvious) as other positions and that's fine. Again I can see a scenario where it all works out. However, there is still just as much variance at that position when I don't think it needed to be. Again it could work out. Hope so.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
H
Here's the difference.

We had a bundle of draft picks (in the most talented WR class in years) and cap space. WR was a major concern, especially during the time Michael Wilson was injured and then went multiple games without a catch.

Yes we got Marv, but we tore down the team to get Marv. You say we cant fix every position in an offseason and yet we drafted a RB when the running game wasn't as heavy of an issue. Especially with Carter as the backup and the ability to get a RB of probably equal value later in the draft as well. We drafted Tip who could very well begin and end the season as TE 3. And then late round Palmer who is a project and I think the Zay Jones decision almost makes it seem like unless he's outstanding he might be a practice squad guy.

We absolutely could have fixed WR in an offseason. We just chose not to because they don't value the position as much (Marv again was an obvious) as other positions and that's fine. Again I can see a scenario where it all works out. However, there is still just as much variance at that position when I don't think it needed to be. Again it could work out. Hope so.
Maybe. The chances that any of those day two or day three receivers are even as good as Zay Jones are quite low.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Well, in fantasy it is better to be ahead of the curve than behind it so I don't disagree with your approach. But in the same breath, you wouldn't pay or draft McBride in the ranges of the top TEs either this year. I can't see people drafting him over LaPorta, Kittle, Kelce, Hock, and probably Andrews nor spending as much on his as those players in auction. McBride will likely be somewhere in the Njoku, Pitts, Kincaid, Schultz, Goedert, and Engram group.
I think you’re not going to have mcbride on many of your teams. He will go with that first group.

gimpy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Here's the difference.

Kinda looks like a pretty decent wr from to me.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I think you’re not going to have mcbride on many of your teams. He will go with that first group.
Agreed. If McBride comes close to replicating what he did when Kyler came back over the course of a 17 game season he's going to put up big numbers. Harrison might actually enhance his numbers since more focus will have to go his way.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the difference.

All good points. But, once Marvin was drafted, RB became a much bigger need IMO than getting another WR. Hard to forget just how bad our offense was when Conner went down for 4 weeks. And it’s almost a guarantee that he’ll miss at least that much time in 2024. Yes, we have Carter, but he doesn’t even remotely fill in the physical aspect that this offense would need when Conner goes down. And we all know he will. As far as drafting Tip is concerned, I see McBride being used almost as a WR similar to how Travis Kelce is used. McBride is an average blocker & this offense needs a TE like Tip for the running game to be truly elite. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Tip is used in a H-back role. Either way, that kid will not be sitting on the end of the bench as a traditional TE3. I do like bringing in a veteran WR like Jones! With his size, he’ll fit in nicely in our very young WR room.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
All good points. But, once Marvin was drafted, RB became a much bigger need IMO than getting another WR. Hard to forget just how bad our offense was when Conner went down for 4 weeks. And it’s almost a guarantee that he’ll miss at least that much time in 2024. Yes, we have Carter, but he doesn’t even remotely fill in the physical aspect that this offense would need when Conner goes down. And we all know he will. As far as drafting Tip is concerned, I see McBride being used almost as a WR similar to how Travis Kelce is used. McBride is an average blocker & this offense needs a TE like Tip for the running game to be truly elite. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Tip is used in a H-back role. Either way, that kid will not be sitting on the end of the bench as a traditional TE3. I do like bringing in a veteran WR like Jones! With his size, he’ll fit in nicely in our very young WR room.
Nice to see you around. Didn't see ya for a bit. Hope all is well

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
RB was a tertiary need for me, but I completely get the idea that if you had a shot at RB1 in the third round, you should absolutely take that guy if you have a need.

I like Carter and Demercado, but Benson instantly becomes your #1 ball carrier if Conner goes down and he might be RB1 for most of his contract if the Cardinals decide to let Conner go after his contract is up.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
RB was a tertiary need for me, but I completely get the idea that if you had a shot at RB1 in the third round, you should absolutely take that guy if you have a need.

I like Carter and Demercado, but Benson instantly becomes your #1 ball carrier if Conner goes down and he might be RB1 for most of his contract if the Cardinals decide to let Conner go after his contract is up.
Imo RB1 was a dire need. We are a power run based offense...current RB1 is 29 years old and doesn't play complete seasons anyway. That 30 year wall can shut down JC at any time now...hopefully he becomes a Lifetime movie,..beats cancer, then plays till 37 and wins a couple rings late in his career...
But we all know it's more likely he is averaging 6ypc thru 7 games and suddenly that average starts sliding til he ends the season with a 2.8ypc

If we wanted another wr we had the resources to move around the draft and get him.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Imo RB1 was a dire need. We are a power run based offense...current RB1 is 29 years old and doesn't play complete seasons anyway. That 30 year wall can shut down JC at any time now...hopefully he becomes a Lifetime movie,..beats cancer, then plays till 37 and wins a couple rings late in his career...
But we all know it's more likely he is averaging 6ypc thru 7 games and suddenly that average starts sliding til he ends the season with a 2.8ypc

If we wanted another wr we had the resources to move around the draft and get him.
beats cancer?

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Dortch and Zay may both be gone after this year. We don't know if Wilson will hold up or be anything more than a 3.

Instead of solidifying the position we could still be saying we need another WR next year.

And if we're going for vets near 30 "for a year" then we could have really invested into the position to help bolster the position for Kyler. Not get a guy the Jags brought in 3 guys to get rid of.
We’re going to run like crazy

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're asking a separate question from the comment I responded to. Kyler was probably ahead of schedule his second season; it's not really his fault that Calvisi was putting him on MVP watch in the preseason.

People are overinvested in four really good games by McBride -- a guy I like a lot. Kyler was probably closer to being a top five player at his position after his second season than McBride is. McBride couldn't beat out Zach Ertz for playing time going into that year.

Both probably exceeded expectations.

BuT c@n H3 DuNk???

It fantasy, but McBride is getting noticed.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Agreed. If McBride comes close to replicating what he did when Kyler came back over the course of a 17 game season he's going to put up big numbers. Harrison might actually enhance his numbers since more focus will have to go his way.
Around the NFL podcast newest episode is about TE ranking. They conclude there is a clear top 6 of elite talent. McBride was the consensus #5 behind Kittle, Kelce, LaPorta and Andrews and there is a discussion that McBride and LaPorta Could be top 2 by end season if They continue

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Here's the difference.

I agree I would have preferred to draft another WR, however I don't see it as a huge deal. WR's are available every year, especially #3 guys in FA.

If the choice was between Benson or a WR, I am happy we took Benson. Conner is old for a RB, and RB is a very impactful position especially if our coaching staff's plan is to emphasize the run as much as they did last year.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Around the NFL podcast newest episode is about TE ranking. They conclude there is a clear top 6 of elite talent. McBride was the consensus #5 behind Kittle, Kelce, LaPorta and Andrews and there is a discussion that McBride and LaPorta Could be top 2 by end season if They continue
No way should Kittle still be top 5. He has fallen off a ton.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maksince98