Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Brandon, are you talking about Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Linx or are you talking about the RZA's last album?? If you're talking about Rae, I would have to go the complete opposite way with you on that. OBFCL is one of the top 25 best hip hop albums EVER!!!!

Sorry I am talking about Raekwon. I don't know i'll give it another listen but I'm really not digging it much at all. And are yuo talking about More Fish or Fishscale for the new Ghost? I doubt i'll be picking either up, I'd have to say Ghost is my least favorite member of the Wu

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Raekwon's Only Built For Cuban Linx or are you talking about the RZA's last album?? If you're talking about Rae, I would have to go the complete opposite way with you on that. OBFCL is one of the top 25 best hip hop albums EVER!!!!
:thumbup:

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sorry I am talking about Raekwon. I don't know i'll give it another listen but I'm really not digging it much at all. And are yuo talking about More Fish or Fishscale for the new Ghost? I doubt i'll be picking either up, I'd have to say Ghost is my least favorite member of the Wu

More Fish, but Fishscale is the better album. Ghost is amazing. Can't see how you don't like him, but I can respect that. It's funny, that you said you don't really like OBFCL. My brother and I always joke that that album is like uncut Cocaine. Too raw for human consumption. :hairraise I will say that there is no middle ground with that album. Either you laud it as an essential hip-hop album, or you don't like it at all.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
... least would def be the RZA's CD, not feeling it at all.

Yeah, there are only two decent tracks on that album, Breaker, Breaker and the titular track. The rest is a mess.

I havent heard the new Ghostface, but I have liked his other stuff. I will have to dl some.

I claim to be a huge Wu fan, but I have never heard OBFCL. I still consider Meth's "Tical" to be my fav Wu-related album, followed by Dirty's first album.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, there are only two decent tracks on that album, Breaker, Breaker and the titular track. The rest is a mess.

I havent heard the new Ghostface, but I have liked his other stuff. I will have to dl some.

I claim to be a huge Wu fan, but I have never heard OBFCL. I still consider Meth's "Tical" to be my fav Wu-related album, followed by Dirty's first album.

abomb, Rae's joint may be standard as far as spinoff Wu. It's gotta be

1. OBFCL
2. Supreme Clientele
3. Liquid Swords

Honorable Mention: Return To The 36 Chambers.

Feel free to argue with me! :p

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
Only just found this thread.

It's real hard to find hip hop fans in Australia.

Has anyone here ever seen any rappers live? I imagine the atmosphere would be 10x better over in the U.S.

The first concert I saw live was The Roots, and that totally blew my mind. They played at a club and there were people everywhere. It actually surprised me how many fans they had in Oz.

Other concerts I've been to were:

Kanye West (Man he had so much energy!)
50 Cent (Very poor, no Buck or Yayo. But Lil' Jon and Lil' Scrap were supporting, and they were good)
Jay-Z (This was last November and it was off the hook. Rhianna and Ne-Yo supported, Bleek was there, Just Blaze and a couple of other ROC fam. Excellent show)

OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
OBFTCL is growning on me a little bit. Everyone needs to get Clipse's CD and Atmospheres "You Can't imagine how much fun were having"

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Only just found this thread.

It's real hard to find hip hop fans in Australia.

Has anyone here ever seen any rappers live? I imagine the atmosphere would be 10x better over in the U.S.

The first concert I saw live was The Roots, and that totally blew my mind. They played at a club and there were people everywhere. It actually surprised me how many fans they had in Oz.

Other concerts I've been to were:

Kanye West (Man he had so much energy!)
50 Cent (Very poor, no Buck or Yayo. But Lil' Jon and Lil' Scrap were supporting, and they were good)
Jay-Z (This was last November and it was off the hook. Rhianna and Ne-Yo supported, Bleek was there, Just Blaze and a couple of other ROC fam. Excellent show)

The Roots are never ever to be disparaged in my presence. That's a beat down if you don't like the Roots, period! You're right S. They are the standard as far as live shows go. Utterly incredible. Plus Black Thought is one of my top 10 MC's now, and a friend of mine. Done deal! :notworthy :rockon:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Roots are never ever to be disparaged in my presence. That's a beat down if you don't like the Roots, period! You're right S. They are the standard as far as live shows go. Utterly incredible. Plus Black Thought is one of my top 10 MC's now, and a friend of mine. Done deal! :notworthy :rockon:

?uestlove is one of the top 5 coolest dudes on the planet.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
?uestlove is one of the top 5 coolest dudes on the planet.

I could only hope to be as half as cool as that dude abomb, besides being a hellified drummer, his music knowledge is unparalelled. To bad they put out a fantastic album that no one heard. *coughJAY-Zcough*:bang:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could only hope to be as half as cool as that dude abomb, besides being a hellified drummer, his music knowledge is unparalelled. To bad they put out a fantastic album that no one heard. *coughJAY-Zcough*:bang:

Are you talking about Unplugged? Holy crap that album is the balls. I have forced about 10 people to listen to it and none have been disappointed.

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you talking about Unplugged? Holy crap that album is the balls. I have forced about 10 people to listen to it and none have been disappointed.

No, I'm talking about Game Theory, although the Unlplugged thing is fiyah!

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score

"Seed" by The Roots is such a great song.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is no one feeling the new Jay-Z album like me? This dude torn it down.. He tackles world issues more than than any his other cd's.. Maybe no one wanna hear it..

From Katrina to poverty.. Jay-Z is on one on his new one.. But people only hear his party track, figures...

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jay-Z new flow is sick.. he reinvent himself.. gotta love that..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon.. from what I see you seem young, I could be wrong.. But you need to pick up this.. its classic...

You must be registered for see images attach

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Brandon.. from what I see you seem young, I could be wrong.. But you need to pick up this.. its classic...

Oooph Gee. i'm gonna go thet other way on you with Hov's new joint. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's just not on the level of his better albums. He does switch up the flow lovely, but there really aren't any CLASSIC joints on this album. The album is utterly forgettable, where as Blueprint still has joints that are fire to this day. Oh but you're %100 right on Redman. BTW for those that don't know.....

Attachments

• heiro.jpg
    heiro.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oooph Gee. i'm gonna go thet other way on you with Hov's new joint. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it's just not on the level of his better albums. He does switch up the flow lovely, but there really aren't any CLASSIC joints on this album. The album is utterly forgettable, where as Blueprint still has joints that are fire to this day. Oh but you're %100 right on Redman. BTW for those that don't know.....

Souls is tight..

I just think people are passing over Jay new cd.. I listen to it all the time and he subliminal on it.. Gotta keep listening to it I guess..

BTW, I woke up and found The Eminem Show cd broke up on my floor this morning.. I was laughing cuz I remember trying to listen to it last night and got disgusted that I ripped it out my cd player and busted it.. Thats garbage man lol..

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and I'm shocked that there hasnt been any mentioning of either Mos Def or Tweli Kalib.....

I know that Mos Def went off the radar when he began focusing more on his acting career, but his latest "True Magic" is a solid comeback effort.... That will definitely receive a lot of airplay... just was released on 12/29/06..... "New Danger" was solid, but to me personally his best effort was "Black on Both Sides"......

Tweli Kalib has one of the most pure voices that a hip-hop artist can possibly have...very distinctive.... cannot of course overlook his collaborations w/Mos Def while forming Black Star......

Then Common and Roots Manuva are 2 other hip-hop artists to check-out.....

To be brutally honest... this genre has been the best for over the past decade since it's generated so many highly regarded perfomances that have made a high impact on the music industry that will be long (forever) lasting.....

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My top 5 are:

1) Dr Dre - The Chronic
2) NWA - Straight Outta Compton
3) Death Certificate
4) DMX - Its Dark And Hell Is Hot
5) Redman (all of them lol)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honorable mention and not to be forgotten...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah I'm almost 17, Redman and Meth are def some of my favorite rappers, I have Blackout still need to get that CD. Del is nasty too I only have 3030 though

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon_Webb

Brandon_Webb

Registered
Reaction score
My top 5 are:

1) Dr Dre - The Chronic
2) NWA - Straight Outta Compton
3) Death Certificate
4) DMX - Its Dark And Hell Is Hot
5) Redman (all of them lol)

I can't give The Chronic a top 5 spot, maybe based on impact but I don't find it solid enough all the way through and I find 2001 a better CD.

1) Notorious BIG-Ready To Die
2) Dr. Dre-2001
3) Eminem-Slim Shady LP
4) Wu-Tang Clan-Enter the 36 Chambers
5) Tupac-All Eyez On Me

Honorable Mentions-Illmatic, The Chronic, **********, Revolutionary Volume 2, The Documentary, Marshall Mathers LP

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I've read this entire thread and I'm shocked that there hasnt been any mentioning of either Mos Def or Tweli Kalib.....

I know that Mos Def went off the radar when he began focusing more on his acting career, but his latest "True Magic" is a solid comeback effort.... That will definitely receive a lot of airplay... just was released on 12/29/06..... "New Danger" was solid, but to me personally his best effort was "Black on Both Sides"......

Tweli Kalib has one of the most pure voices that a hip-hop artist can possibly have...very distinctive.... cannot of course overlook his collaborations w/Mos Def while forming Black Star......

Then Common and Roots Manuva are 2 other hip-hop artists to check-out.....

To be brutally honest... this genre has been the best for over the past decade since it's generated so many highly regarded perfomances that have made a high impact on the music industry that will be long (forever) lasting.....

Oh Yes KLL, and it's Talib Kweli. But him and Mos are amazing. Easily that whole squad of so called Backpackers (I remember The Source had a piece on him, Pharoe Monch, Black Thought, Common, etc. as the saviors of hip-hop) has put out the best music in the last few years.