Rate my Fantasy League

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
First fantasy league. Made some hasty decisions regarding order selected, but overall thought I did pretty decent. Grabbed some contract year guys, grabbed some guys needing to prove themselves on new teams, think I grabbed too many young guys though.

Thoughts?

PG
Gilbert Arenas
SG
Joe Johnson
G
Rajon Rondo
SF
Luol Deng
PF
Al Jefferson
F
Andrea Bargnani
C
LaMarcus Aldridge
C
Nene Hilario
Util
Andres Nocioni
Util
Ruben Patterson
BN
Channing Frye
BN
Walter Herrmann
BN
Mikki Moore

*I am pending a waiver of hermann and replacing him with warrick

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Weak... No assists, only one true scorer, bad FT%, bad FG% loaded up too much on forwards, although Walter Herrmann is really good.

Is this a roto league or head to head, because if it is ROTO you are probably screwed.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
hth

I think arenas will have at least 7-8 apg this year, and rondo will be doing nothing but assisting his new vet squad. JJ will toss in about 5 per game.

I have two huge scorers in arenas and JJ, and jefferson will inevitably be the go to guy for MIN. Deng will do nothing but improve, and I feel patterson and aldridge will step it up a notch as well. team FG% averages out to 49.4, which I dont consider bad at all. FT% is about average, with arenas and nocioni giving it a slight boost above average.

I think rebounding is my weakest looking at last year's stats, but im hoping aldridge, jefferson, and frye have some good improvements

Last edited:

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
my line-up on my dynasty on nba live 08 on psp is:

C - amare
PF - marion
SF - hill
SG - kobe
PG - nash
bench
tucker
bell
pepe sow
skinner
marks
pike
farmar

(i traded banks, diaw and LB for kobe and farmar)

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
video game lineups mean nothing!

p.s. gg on pape sow on your bench...

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't really understand how these leagues work. On the floor, I'd hate to have Rondo at PG and Arenas is just a small shooting guard nor is JJ really a PG. Also, JJ and Arenas are the only two who have a chance of being all stars and that is just because they are in the East.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
How many teams? That makes all the difference in evaluating team strength. Obviously you'd better have a lot more talent in a 10-team league than in a 32-team one.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How many teams? That makes all the difference in evaluating team strength. Obviously you'd better have a lot more talent in a 10-team league than in a 32-team one.

I'll sound like a homer, but I think the Suns beats this team 70% of the time if they were on the floor.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Sorry for not stating earlier:
12 team HTH
Max Moves:42 Max Trades:12

irish, for the league im in, in a nutshell youre competing against 11 other "teams" in a variety of categories.

Each week you go up against a different opponent and their team, and get scored in points/reb/ast/stl/blk/FG%/FT%/3pt/TO

The strat is to find the best balance between all the categories, either by grabbing a superstar in each section or finding guys who are good in a lot of different aspects. Arenas was my top pick because he is a high volume scorer, has a healthy assist rate, grabs a few steals, great 3 point shooter, and has decent %s.

The positions arent extremely crucial. The only requirements you need are PG, SG, G, SF, PF, F, C, C, random, random, bench,bench,bench. For the most part, a PG can be your SG, a PF can be your center. You can have 3 SGs if you want, but your assists may be lacking. Inbetweeners are popular, as some SFs can play the SG and PF position if you feel like tweaking your lineup that way.

Its not so much "oh the spurs could beat this team anyday" or "the suns could run that team into the ground" its more of a pound for pound player efficiency, where your goal is to find the perfect combination of superperforming players.

When drafting, its just like if you were picking teams for streetball. captains pick one at a time 1-12, then 12-1, repeat repeat until everyones rosters are filled. The draft is very exciting, because its inevitable that someone is going to pick 90% of your hopeful selections. Having a thorough "wish list" is the key to success.

While I dont really know what the formula is, if your team has superior numbers against your opponent that week, you win. You play every other team at least once, most twice until the playoffs.

Throughout the season you can trade, pick up free agents, waive players, etc.

The league im in is with playstation, he was lucky enough to grab stat, LB, and hill IIRC. Suns players are great in fantasy league because they are good where it counts (except rebounds). Marion is the 2nd most popular player behind garnett usually due to their broad spectrum of high stats.

I taught myself this in the last few days because i really wanted to try it, so im sure there is more to add/correct from what ive learned thus far.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

C - amare
PF - marion
SF - hill
SG - kobe
PG - nash
bench
tucker
bell
pepe sow
skinner
marks
pike
farmar

If only the Lakers were that dumb in real life.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
George, it's basically a math game that uses basketball statistics for its framework. It's not supposed to have anything to do with actual basketball.

YJGS, that team looks about average to me for a 12-team league, maybe a bit below. Who was your third-round pick? It seems that you should have gotten one other blue-chipper. But your undertstanding of the game is just fine, and you should do well if you can make some roster improvements.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Here is the order I picked. I was 9th in order picking, and in hindsight realize that needing to change your pick philosophy depending on the pick order is a crucial part. Being first isnt necessarily the best place to be for some techniques, and im sure some people can flourish being the middle picker.

1.(9)Gilbert ArenasPG
2.(16)Al JeffersonPF,C
3.(33)Joe JohnsonPG,SG
4.(40)Luol DengSG,SF
5.(57)LaMarcus AldridgePF,C
6.(64)Channing FryePF,C
7.(81)Andrea BargnaniSF,PF
8.(88)Nene HilarioPF,C
9.(105)Rajon RondoPG,SG
10.(112)Andres NocioniSF,PF
11.(129)Ruben PattersonSF,PF
12.(136)Walter HerrmannSF,PF
13.(153)Mikki MoorePF,C

Obvious faults:

Jefferson, Frye, Nocioni were picked premature.
I only have two high volume scorers, should have prob added a 3rd.
I had a mindset of young guys having breakout seasons and was aiming to have some darkhorses shine.
Im banking too much on my bigs to improve their rebound rate this season.

Upside:
looking at other teams' collective FG%, my team is rather high.
For my first draft with only a few hours in the last two days to establish a makeshift plan, I think I did pretty well.

I think im gonna swap moore for warrick, and i think patterson and hermann were high value picks that far into the mix.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate if you could be a bit more constructive with your critcisms. I know its tempting to do the hit and run bashing, but, seriously, why bother? Are you trying to put me in my place?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I would greatly appreciate if you could be a bit more constructive with your critcisms. I know its tempting to do the hit and run bashing, but, seriously, why bother? Are you trying to put me in my place?

Dude, calm down. It speaks for itself. His 10th player is better than your 5th player. That should be sign #1.

If you don't want to hear it, then why ask? Sheesh.

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score

C - amare
PF - marion
SF - hill
SG - kobe
PG - nash
bench
tucker
bell
pepe sow
skinner
marks
pike
farmar

Hey Dodie, since u have NBA Live 08, can u tell me something?

A) how do they have the Suns default starting 5 roster setup?
B) is Boris Diaw a SF or PF?
C) Is Skinner on the team or do u have to trade from Bucks for him?
D) What position is Barbosa, SG or PG?
E) Are Tucker and DJ on the team?

Thanks.

OP
OP
YouJustGotSUNSD

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
Calm down? Did you read my first sentence? How do I get more calm than that?

I just clarified what I would like to hear. If you dont want to abide by that request thats fine, but why bother commenting again?

Exaggerating that his 10th player is better than my 5th isn't constructive. If you disagree then keep giving me advice and hopefully I will see the light soon enough.

Last edited:

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
Hey Dodie, since u have NBA Live 08, can u tell me something?

A) how do they have the Suns default starting 5 roster setup?
B) is Boris Diaw a SF or PF?
C) Is Skinner on the team or do u have to trade from Bucks for him?
D) What position is Barbosa, SG or PG?
E) Are Tucker and DJ on the team?

Thanks.

note:
i have the psp version of nba live 08..

a.
C - amare
PF - marion
SF - diaw
SG - bell
PG - nash

b.
boris is a SF in nba live 08

c.
skinner can be found on the FA list..
his salary is for 5mil and he has only 1 year on his contract..

d.
LB is a SG

e.
tucker is in the team,
DJ isn't..

btw,
tucker's rating is 86,
and he has mad hops!
he dunks a lot..

Sunsman44

The Sunsman Defense Team
Reaction score
note:
i have the psp version of nba live 08..

a.
C - amare
PF - marion
SF - diaw
SG - bell
PG - nash

b.
boris is a SF in nba live 08

c.
skinner can be found on the FA list..
his salary is for 5mil and he has only 1 year on his contract..

d.
LB is a SG

e.
tucker is in the team,
DJ isn't..

btw,
tucker's rating is 86,
and he has mad hops!
he dunks a lot..

oh ok. Wow. Tucker is rated so high. But too bad that DJ is not in the game and Brian Skinner costs way too much (5 mill).

Thanks.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If your team is outclassed then there's nothing to do about this week. It is what it is. There is no "constructive" criticism that will help you win your first matchup.

The advice is to figure out how you can improve your team over the next few weeks with roster changes.

The overriding strategy in all fantasy sports is: Buy low, sell high.