Ravens | Won't pay Rice AP/ CJ money

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
ESPN's Sal Paolantonio reported on NFL Live Wednesday that unsigned franchise player Ray Rice wants "Adrian Peterson money," and the Ravens are unwilling to pay it.

"This holdout could end in training camp, if then," Sal Pal said. "... He wants Adrian Peterson money. He would like to have Chris Johnson money, which means about $30 million guaranteed. And I was told by a Ravens team official, a senior official, 'That is simply not going to happen.'" Paolantonio hinted that Rice could be headed for an extended holdout. He's had no recent contact with Ravens brass, and the sides appear to be far apart two months before camp.

rotoworld

Too bad Beanie isn't healthier......I'd trade Beanie and a pick for him in a heartbeat.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Everyone says we should have drafted AP. Right now, we'd have to pay AP his money or lose him.

nooch

Veteran
Reaction score
Pipe dream for us, we're up against the cap. And trading is not one of the front offices strong suits.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Rice isn't getting traded to anyone. I don't feel bad for him. In fact, with the tag, isn't he getting AP/CJ money in base salary? He just doesn't have the guaranteed part of it. The way RB's go down today, I would have a hard time giving any of them a big guaranteed contract/bonus. I would be very surprised if Wells gets a 2nd contract with the Cards. If he does, I bet it will be very team friendly.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
That is a very tough spot for the Ravens.

Running backs don't have the value they once had, yet Rice is an exception to the rule since he has the ability to be effective from any where on the field.

What the Cardinals do with three backs, the Ravens do with one.

InfiniteRed

Veteran
Reaction score
We aren't getting Ray Rice, I don't think Rice wants to play for a different team. Ravens should totally pay the man though, Rice is a top 4 RB.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who cares? The guy's worth it. Newsome is a moron on this one.

I don't think so. It will be interesting to see in a decade or so if any of these RB's that demand and get premium money turn out to be worth it. My guess, not a single one of them will play up to their contract.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I don't think so. It will be interesting to see in a decade or so if any of these RB's that demand and get premium money turn out to be worth it. My guess, not a single one of them will play up to their contract.

Steve

I do. Their offense would collapse without him. It wouldn't even be one-dimensional--it would have no dimension :)

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Rice doesnt deserve AP/CJ money

CJ doesnt deserve CJ money

Only guy pulling his weight is AP. Love that guy. Makes it that much tougher that we took Levi.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
That is a very tough spot for the Ravens.

Running backs don't have the value they once had, yet Rice is an exception to the rule since he has the ability to be effective from any where on the field.

What the Cardinals do with three backs, the Ravens do with one.

I like our combination very much right now. I need to see the three a whole season together though.

Don't know if there's enough football to go around in this offense too. We're going to need to rack up a bunch of yds. and scores to keep everyone happy! :D

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Only guy pulling his weight is AP. Love that guy. Makes it that much tougher that we took Levi.
can AP even support his own weight after that ACL/MCL tear?

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score

Ray Rice: 1364 yards rushing, 12 TD; 76 receptions, 704 yards, 3 TD

Rice isn't worth it?

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I like our combination very much right now. I need to see the three a whole season together though.

Don't know if there's enough football to go around in this offense too. We're going to need to rack up a bunch of yds. and scores to keep everyone happy! :D

Beanie's hurt and Williams is coming off very major surgery........

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
You are a sportznutt?

The Rice would play behind THT likeThe Edge and The Bean on the Cardinals. I mean whats hegonna do on a 143 carries or something?
You put Beanie on the Ravens and he's already has a rushing title!
Edge had 2 -1000 yard years and was treated like dirt by THIS FAN BASE!and his Head Coach!

Our Bean broke our single rushing record and was Our first RB ever with 10 TD's and 1000 yards in a season- on one leg- And you want to trade him for a bowl of stupid Rice! get a grip

rotoworld

Too bad Beanie isn't healthier......I'd trade Beanie and a pick for him in a heartbeat.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Rice isn't worth it?

I agree. I'm never surprised at what people on this board think about players. A guy could rush for 3000 yards and 45 TDs and somebody would diss him and say it was only because he played behind the best offensive line in the NFL. Of course if you said they had the best offensive line in the NFL somebody would say they only looked good because they had a 3000 yard RB carrying the football.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Of course they won't and they would be moronic if they did. The Raven's offense runs the ball well no matter who is back there. Rice has tons of mileage on him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Rice isn't worth it?
It's not a question of whether he's worth it or not. He is, but on a yealy basis. It's a question of risk and position. He's getting top RB money this year and again next if the franchise him again. Why give him a huge guarantee and signing bonus when he is one cut away from being relatively useless to the team? I see this as Balt's FO being smart. AP and Forte both went down last year. RB's are just too risky to invest long term, big time money. I remember last year when I was talking about Wells's durability and looked up info showing that it's hard to find a RB that doesn't have injury issues. AP was one that didn't and then he went down.

If I was in the FO, my strategy would be to draft a RB, let him play through his initial 4-5 year contract, and then draft his replacement. NOw that may change because I think the new CBA gives later round picks 3 year contracts but I could be wrong on that. A 3 year deal could lead to a 2nd contract but why would you sign a long term deal with a RB after 5 years of producing but taking a beating. That is just too much wear and tear to be worth it. There are exceptions, but for the most part, it's a bad investment.

OP
OP
sportznutt

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
It all depends on how safe we feel we are. Beanie has had multiple surgeries, and may never have a full season for the remainder of his career. Williams hasn't rushed a down yet and has already had surgery. I find it odd that people are scared about a guy who has missed 3 games in his 4 year career, while being a pure stud.