Ray Lewis to Arizona?

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Arizona's Finest said:
Ray Lewis may not be one of the top five MLB's in the league anymore, but thats relative as i think he would be the MLB we have had since a healthy Eric Hill played here. So production wise, i think he would be an upgrade over the oft injured question mark that is Gerald Hayes.

But thats not why you sign Ray Lewis. There are two reasons you sign Ray and actual production takes a back seat.

#1 - Have you ever seen Ray Lewis on NFL films? have you seen the way his teammates revere him? Have you seen how he took Ed Reed under his wings and through camradaire and film study, turned him into one of the best safties in the NFL? Lewis is one of the best leaders the NFL has ever seen, and he holds guys accountable. He is more likely to make a stirring speech than make a game changing pick nowadays, but both are important to success. He would serve as a mentor for Karlos Dansby, Rolle (both being from the "U") and Wilson. He would be highly motivated and having a lot to prove, i think he would have his best season over the last three years. Him and Berry would be a "good cop - bad cop" kind of leadership tandem, and i think he is exactly what our team needs. A winner.

For that aspect alone its a no brainer.

#2 - Like it or not, hes a big name and will help sell tickets. Its debatable how much he has left but fans who are cursory NFL fans will be interested by his presence. He sells the Cardinal name, gives us credibility, and that is part of the front offices thinking in every decision made this off season

Of course Ray Lewis is worth it. All these people who are saying no to Ray Lewis, has time eroded your memory, because last year I believe I saw a Cards team that could not tackle or stop the run worth a crap. Is everybody content with a ???? mark at MLB; on a team that is probably one of the worst up the middle on defense and you guys say no to Ray Lewis??? I don't get it any help on the offensive line or any help to strengthen the middle of this I'll take. Bacause a Ray Lewis at the end of his carreer is 200 time better then anything the Cards have at MLB now

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
The problem with Ray Lewis at this point is that he is 31, getting up there for a linebacker, has had multiple injury issues the past few years, has a large contract and reportedly is not happy with his current contract and looking to re-negotiate it and wants Peyton Manning type money... Lewis is still a great player but I don't think he would be a good fit for this team...

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Not that I'm advocating this, but if Ray Lewis were to come to AZ (which I don't see happening) we could switch to the 3-4. Like I said I don't want to do that, but it definately is a possibility.

For the record I have always like Ray Lewis, but I don't want to get a broken down version of him. He probably still has something left but there is a reason why they are looking to deal or cut him. If they cut him then I would take a look, but nothing outside of that.

spanky1

Reaction score
RedStripe27 said:
Not that I'm advocating this, but if Ray Lewis were to come to AZ (which I don't see happening) we could switch to the 3-4. Like I said I don't want to do that, but it definately is a possibility.

For the record I have always like Ray Lewis, but I don't want to get a broken down version of him. He probably still has something left but there is a reason why they are looking to deal or cut him. If they cut him then I would take a look, but nothing outside of that.

The Cardinals are not going to take any player that would require a complete change in either a defensive or offensive scheme. Moving to a 3-4 would not come close to being doable with the players we have......unless there is a hidden NT on the team to play inside......amongst other things.

Pendergast IS THE DEFENSIVE COACH.....and he doesn't like a 3-4 scheme.

Nuff said.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Well it is obvious that you are in a minority here. I could care less that he was ONCE a great football player (and the operative word is once). He isn't now. This team does not need "once a king". Leadership with diminishing skills is Brett Favre........would you suggest we bring him in as our QB.

The Cardinals are not a team that needs a "quick fix" player.

Without a doubt.......pass on Ray Lewis.

My argument for Lewis is simple, much like Seau in Miami, Lewis while not as good as he once was can still play, and can still make a HUGE impact on a team. What's the most common complaints about our defense? Trouble against the run, inconsistent, can't get the "key stop" when you need it, missed tackles, mental errors.

What is Ray Lewis famous for besides his murder trial? Ray Lewis studies the game as much as anybody who's ever played MLB, Ed Reed credits Ray with making him the player he is today, McAllister credits Ray for making him a better player, Hartwell said it. That type of personality could be invaluable in the locker room with young talented guys like Wilson, Dansby, Rolle et al, bring in a guy who's seen it all, been at the top, and knows what it takes to get there.

I said a few weeks ago I'd consider trading the 10th pick for Lewis, I'm not sure I really would, but I'd trade a 2nd for him in a second if he passed a physical. The intensity and intelligence that guy brings to a defense would make a HUGE impact on us IMHO.

I don't like him off the field, but hell I don't like Green off the field but if he can bring a winner here, I'll like him a lot more.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What is Ray Lewis famous for besides his murder trial? Ray Lewis studies the game as much as anybody who's ever played MLB, Ed Reed credits Ray with making him the player he is today, McAllister credits Ray for making him a better player, Hartwell said it. That type of personality could be invaluable in the locker room with young talented guys like Wilson, Dansby, Rolle et al, bring in a guy who's seen it all, been at the top, and knows what it takes to get there.

I'd Take Lewis in a heartbeat, he would be great for out young LB's...Heck, Blackstock would probably do cartwheels, he has said he modeled his play after Ray Lewis...

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would love Ray Lewis here. He would make every guy on our defense better if he never stepped foot on the field. Dont break the bank, but man, seeing Lewis in a Cards jersey looks really nice.

A-Bomb

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LoyaltyisaCurse said:
I'd Take Lewis in a heartbeat, he would be great for out young LB's...Heck, Blackstock would probably do cartwheels, he has said he modeled his play after Ray Lewis...

Are cartwheels going to improve his play?

golfcardfan

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wow when I started reading was wondering if everyone was drunk? Towards the end most started sounding much smarter, of course you get Ray Lewis if you can! He is top 5 in the league at his position period, and maybe one of the greatest defensive leaders of all time. A second rounder is chump change for a guy who could make our d top 5. You think we could get anyone in the 2rd to make as much of an immediate impact? Dont think so.

FlagstaffDave

Reaction score
And if Ray Lewis is unhappy in Baltimore what makes you think he'll be happy with a team that hasn't been to the playoffs since 98?

I feel as much as anyone here we are heading back there sooner than later, but I don't think Arizona is on his wish list. If I'm wrong then good for him, cause most FA's don't feel the same way about coming here.

spanky1

Reaction score
golfcardfan said:
Wow when I started reading was wondering if everyone was drunk? Towards the end most started sounding much smarter, of course you get Ray Lewis if you can! He is top 5 in the league at his position period, and maybe one of the greatest defensive leaders of all time. A second rounder is chump change for a guy who could make our d top 5. You think we could get anyone in the 2rd to make as much of an immediate impact? Dont think so.

And meet his salary demands.....no way jose.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
And meet his salary demands.....no way jose.

What is the point of having cap room if we're always going to be afraid of paying someone?

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Holian said:
Ray Lewis for a 2nd rounder.

Rumor is that is the best offer anyone has made. Is that enough? How about Bryant Johnson + 2nd Rounder for Lewis + their 4th?

To me it is a no brainer, maybe that's why there are some people on this board who don't like the idea... :shrug:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Are cartwheels going to improve his play?
Sarcasm huh?

NO, but Lewis would, Blackstock would soak up Ray's tecniques, training, effort etc...

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What is the point of having cap room if we're always going to be afraid of paying someone?

Yeah, but he's been quoted as saying he wants Peyton Manning type money.

Would you throw that type of cash at someone who is heading on the downside of his career?

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

spanky1 said:
But he wants to renegotiate and is after really big money.

if thats the case as much as he wouldbe nice to have hear i wouldnt do it for a 30y/o and the amount of needs we have to fill at fs, dt, ol, rb, te, lb? and the most expensive qbof.
________
UNIVERSAL LIFE INSURANCE ADVICE

Last edited:

spanky1

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Russ,

I'm not afraid to use cap dollars to pay anyone......I am opposed to using cap dollars on a player who is looking to make a killing and who is 31, who is coming off the last two years with more than just small nagging injuries and who is no longer effective sideline to sideline in the absence of strong DT's to help him look good.

Furthermore, we have Warner to sign, at least two linemen (one as a minimum on offense and one on defense.....and I'm tired of second teir signings), a rookie pool for seven draft picks, potentially a FS and a RB. I also want to re up with a couple of our own stars (Dansby in particular).

Unless my math is cockeyed, that should account for any cap room we have.

I'm not saying we could get all of the following (LeCharles Bently,as either a Guard or as a Center; Jeff Backus (not as a LT but as a LG ); Edgerrin James; Chris Hope as our FS......but if we could, then we have hit paydirt.

Why go after diminishing talent with an eye towards the above.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Redsz said:
Yeah, but he's been quoted as saying he wants Peyton Manning type money.

Would you throw that type of cash at someone who is heading on the downside of his career?

Depends on if it's a real deal or just one of those with a big bonus and no intention of him ever getting to the end of the deal(like Manning's and McNabb's).

Remember when Jamir Miller demanded "Ray Lewis" money, ironic that Ray is not demanding Ray Lewis money himself.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Russ,

I'm not saying we could get all of the following (LeCharles Bently,as either a Guard or as a Center; Jeff Backus (not as a LT but as a LG ); Edgerrin James; Chris Hope as our FS......but if we could, then we have hit paydirt.

All talent is diminishing though. James has 2188 carries in his NFL career, yes he'll only be 28 in August but he's at about the same number of carries Faulk was when he started to slow down. I think James will be fine this year and probably next year too but at that point we're talking about 2800 carries in his career. Edge is already in the top 15 alltime in carries I think(don't quote me having a hard time finding such a list). Great player and he'd make us MUCH better right away, but that's a lot of carries, especially for a guy who's played his whole career on turf.

sundevil04

AZ Cardinals Mortgage Guy
Reaction score
Go

spanky1 said:
Russ,

I'm not afraid to use cap dollars to pay anyone......I am opposed to using cap dollars on a player who is looking to make a killing and who is 31, who is coming off the last two years with more than just small nagging injuries and who is no longer effective sideline to sideline in the absence of strong DT's to help him look good.

Furthermore, we have Warner to sign, at least two linemen (one as a minimum on offense and one on defense.....and I'm tired of second teir signings), a rookie pool for seven draft picks, potentially a FS and a RB. I also want to re up with a couple of our own stars (Dansby in particular).

amen.
________
PRILOSEC CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser