Reactions to Bickley's Article on Rough Off-Season for BA

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ans-working-through-tough-offseason/96894022/

* Sad to hear that BA lost his brother-in-law to cancer.
* When Larry Fitzgerald hugged BA on the sidelines after winning the last two games, he inadvertently tore BA's rotator cuff in two---BA is playing golf at his home in Georgia but keeping his arm low.
* BA is waiting to hear from Carson Palmer and Fitz as to whether they are returning---BA thinks both will get the itch to return fairly quickly.
* BA appears to be somewhat amenable to lessening Fitz's blocking load---one solution he mentions is adding another big, tough slot WR.
* BA vows that next year's team will "tackle better."
* BA conceded that going soft in training camp in order to keep the team healthy was, in retrospect, a mistake.
* BA claims that the team was super confident heading into the Patriots' game and that losing 2 of the first 3 games at home, with a heavy slate of away games later "took the swag" out of the team.
* BA says he still thinks Robert Nkemdiche can be a great player.
* Bickley believes that the Cardinals are an imminent playoff contender if Palmer and Fitz returns.
* Bickley cites the Seahawks' "petulance" as a cause for their demise.

My reactions:

* Carson Palmer---the play for me that summed up his season (and in part the Cardinals' season)---was his flip pass attempt under close and extreme pressure early in the 1st quarter in Carolina. Yes, if the replay was working, the play should have been called an incomplete pass. But, that play should have never happened in the first place. Having coughed the ball up 6 times versus Carolina in the NFC Championship game and digging the Cardinals into a deep early hole, Palmer should have learned not to do anything hasty or ill-advised versus that defense, especially not early in the game. In Carolina every team knows you have to whether the early storm and not let them get out on a roll and get their fans all in a frenzy.

* That play (and many others this season) caused me to wonder more than ever if Palmer is incorrigible. He does not place a premium value on ball security, at least often enough to take the Cardinals the distance. Opposing coaches have even said that part of their game plan is to capitalize on the 3-4 big mistakes he makes a game.

* Palmer's pre-season performance was supremely lackluster---and it carried over into the regular season through poor, sluggish starts in every game for the first half of the season. With all the talent around him and the first 20 plays scripted and rehearsed, those poor starts were inexcusable.

* One of Palmer's greatest strengths is his resiliency---he often bounces back from his mistakes, but sometimes he makes too many mistakes early and creates a hole which even he can't climb out of.

* Palmer suffered a concussion this season---but even then he bounced back and continued to take a pounding. The guy is tough, there's no question about that.

* Was it pure coincidence that Palmer played his best and cleanest football the very minute the Cardinals were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Could such performances carry over into next year? Can Palmer learn to eat the ball more rather than force it into double coverage?

* Now he's wondering if he should retire.

* I think that Palmer, Fitz and BA should give it one more year---one last supreme bid for a championship.

* But in order for them to be successful, some timely adjustments need to be made:

* Palmer has to make ball security his highest priority. But hand in hand with that, BA has to make pass protection a priority---he has to chip DEs and keep an extra blocker in the backfield 90% of the time---he has to protect Fitz's legs and physical well-being by lessening his role as an interior blocker---BA's answer to Bickley was to add another big, strong slot WR---but the best thing BA can do, despite his stubbornness, is to insert a blocking fullback to iso on the linebackers and not have to send Fitz after the linebackers---a blocking fullback would also provide added protection to the team's most prolific asset, RB David Johnson.

* Let's be real---because BA refuses to play a FB, Fitz has been the team's FB the last two years. Fitz. No wonder he is contemplating retirement. And to Fitz's credit, he has given it his all, day in, day out, game in, game out.

* BA has vowed that the team's tackling will be better. Will this apply to Patrick Peterson? Peterson's reluctance to tackle and to return punts is at the crux of what is keeping the Cardinals from realizing their greatest potential. Perhaps knowing that this season will be Palmer's, Fitz's and BA's last hurrah will provide some urgency, responsibility and leadership to Peterson's game. Perhaps his All-Pro snubbing will provide added motivation as well. Thus, imagine how good the Cardinals could be if Peterson goes all in, starts making good, solid tackles and shows as he did in 2011 that he is the most gifted punt returner on the planet.

* Fitz was a little contact shy his first few years---but Todd Haley challenged Fitz and changed all of that. This is what BA needs to do for Peterson. BA has enabled Peterson to shy away from contact---just as BA and Amos Jones enabled Ted Ginn to play shy. BA conceded that he went soft on the team in pre-season---this time around, every player has to step up. No enabling. No double standards. No false swag.

Last edited:

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see if BA can hold himself to these changes. Being soft on the team in camp and better tackling. I want to see it, not just hear about it.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Palmer is who he is --but of the list of reasons why the team's record wasn't better, his play is well down the list.

I think it's fair to question how far Palmer can take a team in the playoffs, but I don't think anyone can separate noise from signal in that analysis. Tell me the real alternative for next year where the odds are better -- Romo? Glennon? A rookie?

Palmer didn't come out of the preseason sluggish: his QB rating vs NE was 105, followed by a 124 vs TB. He started the first two games of the season with 600 yards, 5 TDs and 0 ints and a comp % of 65 or so.

As for this past year, the "he didn't play well until eliminated" theory ignores winning play from Palmer vs NE, vs Rams home, vs Seattle home. The team went 0-2-1 in those games.

Last edited:

football karma

Reaction score
Btw: I beleive that the team has instructed Peterson to avoid contact in nearly all returns.

He didn't return punts this way his first two seasons --

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
To quote Tennyson (from "Ulysses")---Come on men, one last hurrah! You can do it!

Come, my friends,
'T is not too late to seek a newer world.
Push off, and sitting well in order smite
The sounding furrows; for my purpose holds
To sail beyond the sunset, and the baths
Of all the western stars, until I die.
It may be that the gulfs will wash us down:
It may be we shall touch the Happy Isles,
And see the great Achilles, whom we knew.
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
* Carson Palmer---the play for me that summed up his season (and in part the Cardinals' season)---was his flip pass attempt under close and extreme pressure early in the 1st quarter in Carolina. Yes, if the replay was working, the play should have been called an incomplete pass. But, that play should have never happened in the first place. Having coughed the ball up 6 times versus Carolina in the NFC Championship game and digging the Cardinals into a deep early hole, Palmer should have learned not to do anything hasty or ill-advised versus that defense, especially not early in the game. In Carolina every team knows you have to whether the early storm and not let them get out on a roll and get their fans all in a frenzy.

Thanks for posting but this is way off imo. That play was as clear as day. Horrific job by the officials. Can't blame one bit of it on Palmer. Jesus, the pass spiraled lol.

football karma

Reaction score
Thanks for posting but this is way off imo. That play was as clear as day. Horrific job by the officials. Can't blame one bit of it on Palmer. Jesus, the pass spiraled lol.

Because of replay, I think officials have gone to the "when In doubt, let the play run and replay will tell us what it should be" I think that's the right approach -- but it totally fails when replay suddenly isn't available

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...ans-working-through-tough-offseason/96894022/

* Sad to hear that BA lost his brother-in-law to cancer.
* When Larry Fitzgerald hugged BA on the sidelines after winning the last two games, he inadvertently tore BA's rotator cuff in two---BA is playing golf at his home in Georgia but keeping his arm low.
* BA is waiting to hear from Carson Palmer and Fitz as to whether they are returning---BA thinks both will get the itch to return fairly quickly.
* BA appears to be somewhat amenable to lessening Fitz's blocking load---one solution he mentions is adding another big, tough slot WR.
* BA vows that next year's team will "tackle better."
* BA conceded that going soft in training camp in order to keep the team healthy was, in retrospect, a mistake.
* BA claims that the team was super confident heading into the Patriots' game and that losing 2 of the first 3 games at home, with a heavy slate of away games later "took the swag" out of the team.
* BA says he still thinks Robert Nkemdiche can be a great player.
* Bickley believes that the Cardinals are an imminent playoff contender if Palmer and Fitz returns.
* Bickley cites the Seahawks' "petulance" as a cause for their demise.

My reactions:

* That play (and many others this season) caused me to wonder more than ever if Palmer is incorrigible. He does not place a premium value on ball security, at least often enough to take the Cardinals the distance. Opposing coaches have even said that part of their game plan is to capitalize on the 3-4 big mistakes he makes a game.

* Palmer's pre-season performance was supremely lackluster---and it carried over into the regular season through poor, sluggish starts in every game for the first half of the season. With all the talent around him and the first 20 plays scripted and rehearsed, those poor starts were inexcusable.

* One of Palmer's greatest strengths is his resiliency---he often bounces back from his mistakes, but sometimes he makes too many mistakes early and creates a hole which even he can't climb out of.

* Palmer suffered a concussion this season---but even then he bounced back and continued to take a pounding. The guy is tough, there's no question about that.

* Was it pure coincidence that Palmer played his best and cleanest football the very minute the Cardinals were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs? Could such performances carry over into next year? Can Palmer learn to eat the ball more rather than force it into double coverage?

* Now he's wondering if he should retire.

* I think that Palmer, Fitz and BA should give it one more year---one last supreme bid for a championship.

* But in order for them to be successful, some timely adjustments need to be made:

* Palmer has to make ball security his highest priority. But hand in hand with that, BA has to make pass protection a priority---he has to chip DEs and keep an extra blocker in the backfield 90% of the time---he has to protect Fitz's legs and physical well-being by lessening his role as an interior blocker---BA's answer to Bickley was to add another big, strong slot WR---but the best thing BA can do, despite his stubbornness, is to insert a blocking fullback to iso on the linebackers and not have to send Fitz after the linebackers---a blocking fullback would also provide added protection to the team's most prolific asset, RB David Johnson.

* Let's be real---because BA refuses to play a FB, Fitz has been the team's FB the last two years. Fitz. No wonder he is contemplating retirement. And to Fitz's credit, he has given it his all, day in, day out, game in, game out.

* BA has vowed that the team's tackling will be better. Will this apply to Patrick Peterson? Peterson's reluctance to tackle and to return punts is at the crux of what is keeping the Cardinals from realizing their greatest potential. Perhaps knowing that this season will be Palmer's, Fitz's and BA's last hurrah will provide some urgency, responsibility and leadership to Peterson's game. Perhaps his All-Pro snubbing will provide added motivation as well. Thus, imagine how good the Cardinals could be if Peterson goes all in, starts making good, solid tackles and shows as he did in 2011 that he is the most gifted punt returner on the planet.

* Fitz was a little contact shy his first few years---but Todd Haley challenged Fitz and changed all of that. This is what BA needs to do for Peterson. BA has enabled Peterson to shy away from contact---just as BA and Amos Jones enabled Ted Ginn to play shy. BA conceded that he went soft on the team in pre-season---this time around, every player has to step up. No enabling. No double standards. No false swag.

Palmer is damn near 40 he is who he is.

So Patrick Peterson is what's holding this team back Huh. Have you ever played football?

Of all the guys on this team to complain about your pick Patrick Peterson Huh

Lol

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Palmer won't change. If they don't get a return man, they'll continue to start with consistently bad field position. With all these FAs the only shot is to win the division. They've got to get another productive receiver. If Fitz leaves forget 2017.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Palmer won't change. If they don't get a return man, they'll continue to start with consistently bad field position. With all these FAs the only shot is to win the division. They've got to get another productive receiver. If Fitz leaves forget 2017.

The UFA WR I'd like to see the Cardinals sign is Kenny Stills. I think he could be special in AZ. Your thoughts on Stills, Harry? Or anyone else?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The UFA WR I'd like to see the Cardinals sign is Kenny Stills. I think he could be special in AZ. Your thoughts on Stills, Harry? Or anyone else?

I agree he would be good here Mitch. He is a real burner and Arians would know exactly how to use him.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Some very valid points.

I suggested that during the bye week, the team should sign a FB to help protect Palmer from up the gut blitzing that was getting through with regularity and to help out the tackles. I believe that it showed a lack of judgement and ability to adapt the offense to how teams were attacking the Cardinals. Stubbornness maybe that they were going dictate to defenses, but clearly that didn't happen consistently as the prior season.

And yes, Petersons' half hearted tackling efforts. It kept him on the field, but the coaching staff enabled some of it. Watching him whiff on so many tackles, and why they had him on kickoff coverage when the Vikings Corderrelle Patterson blew right by him untouched really blew me away this year.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
ST screwups cost us the playoffs.

But that doesn't necssarily mean that - if we straighten out special teams, we're a shoe-in next season.

And, at this point in the offseason, I don't think we can pinpoint any single roster position that needs fixing.

Rather, I think our best strategy is to bolster quality depth everywhere contunuing the BPA policy and letting the percentages play themselves out. The combination of better ST play, individual player improvement and an even more solid 53-man/PS roster should be enough to withstand any weird bleep from the football gods and get us back into playoff contention.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

?????

No double standards, but make it so Fitz blocks less and Peterson gets hit more ?

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Btw: I beleive that the team has instructed Peterson to avoid contact in nearly all returns.

He didn't return punts this way his first two seasons --

Agreed.

Its called making it through a 16 game season. Peterson goes down and you are left with no cornerbacks and a bunch of safeties and nickel backs.

He is not the only player in the NFL that does it, btw. Its the reason Richard Sherman doesn't return punts at all. There is a good reason for it too.

Some people coach to fight for every single inch on the field.

Others ,like myself, think fighting for an inch puts the ball in jeopardy of being fumbled, or a player getting hurt for no reason. Nothing is more important than possession of the football. And 1 inch is not worth losing a key player for an entire season. Sacrifice the inch, live to field another punt that you can return to the house. JMHO. Gained this insight from my time playing rugby, and understand it goes against traditional football beliefs.

Case in point. You got the first down, was the risk afterwards worth the reward ?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

Its called making it through a 16 game season. Peterson goes down and you are left with no cornerbacks and a bunch of safeties and nickel backs.

He is not the only player in the NFL that does it, btw. Its the reason Richard Sherman doesn't return punts at all. There is a good reason for it too.

Others ,like myself, think fighting for an inch puts the ball in jeopardy of being fumbled, or a player getting hurt for no reason. Nothing is more important than possession of the football. And 1 inch is not worth losing a key player for an entire season. Sacrifice the inch, live to field another punt that you can return to the house. JMHO. Gained this insight from my time playing rugby, and understand it goes against traditional football beliefs.

And remember what happened to the BADGER when he decided to fight for an extra inch.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Unless the ST are improved and BA learns how to adjust when the other team is taking away his "bread and butter" they may not make the postseason again next year. But, there are a few other massive holes on both sides of the ball that need to be addressed. 2nd CB, ILB (STILL for God's sake), OG and TE (NOT sold on what they have).

ST cost 3 or 4 games and BA's stubbornness contributed to those losses as well. Teams adjusted to the Cardinal's offense, the Cardinal's offense didn't adjust to those adjustments nearly soon enough IMO. If you keep doing what you are doing expecting different results...or something like that.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Unless the ST are improved and BA learns how to adjust when the other team is taking away his "bread and butter" they may not make the postseason again next year. But, there are a few other massive holes on both sides of the ball that need to be addressed. 2nd CB, ILB (STILL for God's sake), OG and TE (NOT sold on what they have).

ST cost 3 or 4 games and BA's stubbornness contributed to those losses as well. Teams adjusted to the Cardinal's offense, the Cardinal's offense didn't adjust to those adjustments nearly soon enough IMO. If you keep doing what you are doing expecting different results...or something like that.

Agreed.

I think the "BA Stubborness" as you call it got fixed, but too late. They did score an average of 34.6 pts per game in the last 5 games of the season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
?????

No double standards, but make it so Fitz blocks less and Peterson gets hit more ?

Please don't misunderstand me. The context here is having Fitz block fewer times in the box on DEs and LBers---he still is going to block like a madman on the DBs. He is still going to run his arse off and scrape for every yard every time he catches the ball. No player on the team is more consistently tough than Fitz.

I'm not saying to put Peterson up in the box---I'm saying that he should make his fair share of tackles that one could and should expect from any CB and to chase down plays when he should with his world-class athleticism. To make a stronger effort. That would fire the whole team up and help him emerge into a bona fide leader. The Cardinals need this from him if they are going to get to the next level. The Pats' players' motto is "Do Your Job." Tackling is part of every defensive player's job.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Please don't misunderstand me. The context here is having Fitz block fewer times in the box on DEs and LBers---he still is going to block like a madman on the DBs. He is still going to run his arse off and scrape for every yard every time he catches the ball. No player on the team is more consistently tough than Fitz.

I'm not saying to put Peterson up in the box---I'm saying that he should make his fair share of tackles that one could and should expect from any CB and to chase down plays when he should with his world-class athleticism. To make a stronger effort. That would fire the whole team up and help him emerge into a bona fide leader. The Cardinals need this from him if they are going to get to the next level. The Pats' players' motto is "Do Your Job." Tackling is part of every defensive player's job.

:thumbup:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Yeah the Patriots probably wouldn't want Peterson on there team. I say we cut him personally

He does his job and he does his job very well.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed.

Case in point. You got the first down, was the risk afterwards worth the reward ?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I get your point but if your fear is injury when fighting for, say, an inch then why have him back there at all? At some point in time that inch may prove to be a huge deal. In your video example the answer is absolutely it was worth it. He keeps carrying guys into the end zone that is huge and maybe not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The end result wasn't desireable but in that moment I want my guys fighting for every inch both directions.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Conner
Reaction score
I get your point but if your fear is injury when fighting for, say, an inch then why have him back there at all? At some point in time that inch may prove to be a huge deal. In your video example the answer is absolutely it was worth it. He keeps carrying guys into the end zone that is huge and maybe not entirely out of the realm of possibility. The end result wasn't desireable but in that moment I want my guys fighting for every inch both directions.

I haven't seen you in a long time! How have you been?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Football is a game of inches and inches make a champion.

Sincerely,

Vince Lombardi

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22