Real reason Leinart stayed?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a blurb on ESPN.com from Ivan Maisel talking about John David Booty, redshirt soph to be at USC needing to take more snaps at QB for USC in spring ball. Maisel said "elbow surgery or not, Leinart will be giving way to Booty", in other words doing less work to let Booty get more.

Does he mean Booty might have elbow surgery, or Leinart?

First I've heard of it but maybe that's why Leinart stayed.

Reaction score
Heard yesterday that Lienart is going to have elbow surgery, to "clean up the joint". He may not be ready to go in spring practice.

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
I remember seeing somewhere else where it said (I wish I could remember so I could post the link) Leinart was going to have elbow surgery. The way I understood it was that it was a minor procedure. My interpretation was that it sounded akin to somebody having their knee scoped to be cleaned up after the season.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
Heard yesterday that Lienart is going to have elbow surgery, to "clean up the joint". He may not be ready to go in spring practice.

OK, agreed doesn't sound too serious although when you hear that you have to wonder.

thanks

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Leinart will be giving way to Booty

That would definately be a reason I would stay at USC for one more year :D

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
That would definately be a reason I would stay at USC for one more year :D

I kind of walked right into that one.

:thumbup:

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
OK, agreed doesn't sound too serious although when you hear that you have to wonder.

thanks

If you hope to be a number one draft choice then anytime they cut on you minor or not i is serious.

Mr. Boldin

Mel Kiper's Daddy
Reaction score
Leinhart wasn't going to be able to pass the physical is what I heard. So he is having surgery and that is why he is staying 1 more year.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mr. Boldin said:
Leinhart wasn't going to be able to pass the physical is what I heard. So he is having surgery and that is why he is staying 1 more year.

That would be my guess too. If you think about it makes sense. If he doesn't have the surgery whatever the problem is will show up when teams have him checked out. If he has the surgery he might not be able to throw in time, so he may fall in the draft while there's nothing permanently wrong. This way he can have the surgery, and use his senior year to prove he's recovered.

And get Booty too.