Realistic view of CB situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black T

Reaction score
My excitement for the season is almost completely deflated. We might have the worst CB corps in the NFL. PP will be a great..someday.

Those of you who say that bad CBs dont necessarily mean terrible season - those teams have a pass rush to make up for it.

We: Have terrible pass rush and terrible coverage. QBs are going to have eternity to throw to guys who will probably be very open. Only way we can win is if we put up a ton of points on offense.

I blame the Cardinals staff 100% for this problem. Newsflash, losing Toler was NOT the beginning of this. Going into the season with Toler as a #1 showed how weak the depth was.

When we drafted PP, and still had DRC, it was assumed Toler would be our #3 CB...Dudes our #1 this year? We've been SOL this entire time and it drove me crazy that nobody recognized that. No moves to go get a corner. Yeah we got Marshall who barely qualifies. Knock on wood, what if PP goes down? Screwed doesnt begin to describe the situation.

So im totally depressed ATM with the outlook of this season. WE wont be able to stop anyone through the air. Think of our pass D last year and multiply it by like 12, thats how bad this is going to be if we dont go find somebody. There is someone on this earth whos available and could do a good job. If you gotta go up to the CFL, fine, just find him. If we go into the season with Jefferson/PP/Marshall/Adams as our starters..we will probably have another lotto pick next year. If you dont think so than your naive and blinded by your fanship. This is a pass first league, and we wont be able to do a thing about it.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well I don't know if Toler was that bad but it is bad to lose both your starting CBs and have your nickel corner and your all-pro SS banged up.

We don't have to wait for the usual homer trial period of 5-8 games to see what we've got. If Cam Newton comes in with his 40% completion rate and lights us up like Vince Young did. We'll know.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Why the hell is everything doom and gloom with you?

I can't read your posts without the eyes rolling all the way into the back of my head

Welcome to "ignore."

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
While I agree with you, I still think you're jumping off the deep end a little too soon. There are still a lot of moves being made over the next 2 weeks, and I can pretty much guarantee you the Cards 'will' pick up another CB, and hopefully a replacement for Johnson at SS. Whether or not that CB acquisition will be starter quality, well I suppose we'll find out soon enough. If nothing is done to fix the secondary, then I dont see any way possible this defense improves from being 28th in the league. If anyone denies that, then obviously the kool-aid drinking must be pretty good, because losing 2 starting CB's is significant.

OP
OP
B

Black T

Reaction score
Where is the realistic view?

:confused:

Solid position. Your supports were especially dazzling.

Jeez. So glad you decided to join the board.

Peterson and Jefferson are the worst in the NFL? Okay.

Why the hell is everything doom and gloom with you?

I can't read your posts without the eyes rolling all the way into the back of my head

Welcome to "ignore."

Oh lawdy no, how will I carry on.

You guys say im negative, but I swear ive never seen a more credulous sports message board. You guys think EVERYTHING is the Greatest thing ever. Ive never seen one honest criticism around here, in the short time ive been here. Everything is sunshine and rainbows. Maybe i have to compensate for how blind all you are.

And I meant what I said above, excellent points you guys provided. Tell me how im wrong? AJ Jefferson is a HOFr for sure. Richard Marshall has just been warming up the past 6 years, this is the year he really breaks out. Pass rush isnt THAT important, all our CBs are capable of playing Revis-like and will just put their WRs on an island.

If you agree, fine, if you disagree, provide why, otherwise dont even post because you're not even football fans, your children who thinks everything swell.

While I agree with you, I still think you're jumping off the deep end a little too soon. There are still a lot of moves being made over the next 2 weeks, and I can pretty much guarantee you the Cards 'will' pick up another CB, and hopefully a replacement for Johnson at SS. Whether or not that CB acquisition will be starter quality, well I suppose we'll find out soon enough. If nothing is done to fix the secondary, then I dont see any way possible this defense improves from being 28th in the league. If anyone denies that, then obviously the kool-aid drinking must be pretty good, because losing 2 starting CB's is significant.

^ Thats a response

IDC if you agree or disagree, just make an argument.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peterson and Jefferson are the worst in the NFL? Okay.

is it really that far fetched to think that an undrafted 2nd year guy who couldn't see the field on an AWFUL defense last year and a completely untested rookie (with potential no doubt... but potential at the toughest position in the league to learn)... with no pass rush, will end up being the worst CB duo in the league this year?

especially with a cast-offs from Carolina who was awful last year and Mike Adams who has always been awful as their back-ups?

I get that Black T is negative a lot, but instead of y'all just bashing him, why not show him where he's wrong about our huge worries at the pass rushing positions and with virtually zero experience at CB in a dominant passing league?

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
If AJ Jefferson had been drafted in the 6th round last year, I suspect people's opinions of him would be very, very different right now. Since he was an UDFA, he gets downgraded from the start.

As a young player, he isn't perfect, but he makes plays on the ball-- both in front of him and on the deep ball.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys say im negative, but I swear ive never seen a more credulous sports message board. You guys think EVERYTHING is the Greatest thing ever. Ive never seen one honest criticism around here, in the short time ive been here. Everything is sunshine and rainbows. Maybe i have to compensate for how blind all you are.

If you really believe what you say I see no reason to offer an opposing view.

I will mention one thing though. Your title promised a "Realistic view of QB situation" and I'm not sure you delivered on that. All I saw was a rant that I've already read many times.

Steve

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
If you agree, fine, if you disagree, provide why, otherwise dont even post because you're not even football fans, your children who thinks everything swell.

We're children? You and your darkside pals do nothing but whine and complain. Damn, it gets old.

Heap, King, Colledge, Stewart, Kolb, Peterson, the Fitz extension. It bought about 10 minutes of goodwill from some of you. How quickly you forget seasons like 2003 when there was actually no hope.

Personally, I see Peterson gaining confidence every week and Jefferson is becoming a better-than-average CB. I think Horton's schemes will make our pass rush better than last season.

If you can't get excited about the new season, after all the positives this offseason, then why do you bother to follow the team at all? Man, must suck to be you.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You said in your original post that everyone who doesn't feel the way you do is naive and blinded, your posts suck and that's about all I gotta say. I feel your attitude towards other fans sucks too.

WarnerHOF

Registered
Reaction score
Although I somewhat agree with OP, something tells me he is a 49ers fan.

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score
The most 'realistic' approach you can make, without any bias or kool-aid...This defense was ranked 29th overall last year, and 23rd in passing, specifically, since that's the topic of coversation. The cards lost 2 starting CB's, and a starting SS. 'Realistically' speaking, the replacements aren't near as good as their predecessors, which, logically, would tell you the defense will be worse than the previous year. There were no pass rushing improvements made, which makes the situation even more suspect. Realism at it's finest :)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
We're children? You and your darkside pals do nothing but whine and complain. Damn, it gets old.

Heap, King, Colledge, Stewart, Kolb, Peterson, the Fitz extension. It bought about 10 minutes of goodwill from some of you. How quickly you forget seasons like 2003 when there was actually no hope.

Personally, I see Peterson gaining confidence every week and Jefferson is becoming a better-than-average CB. I think Horton's schemes will make our pass rush better than last season.

If you can't get excited about the new season, after all the positives this offseason, then why do you bother to follow the team at all? Man, must suck to be you.

Positives? They had some good offensive signings but show me one on the defensive side of the ball worthwhile. You can't win giving up 25ppg and its hard to believe our defense will be worse than last year but I haven't seen anything to show me otherwise. I don't get how anyone on this board can be ok with this defense esp the CB position.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
You said in your original post that everyone who doesn't feel the way you do is naive and blinded, your posts suck and that's about all I gotta say. I feel your attitude towards other fans sucks too.

:lmao::lmao:

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
I get that Black T is negative a lot, but instead of y'all just bashing him, why not show him where he's wrong about our huge worries at the pass rushing positions and with virtually zero experience at CB in a dominant passing league?

Why is he not held to the same standard? There is nothing substantial to back up his statements. I've read several of his posts where he stated if you thought A.J. Jefferson is good that "you are wrong and he sucks". It goes both ways.

OP
OP
B

Black T

Reaction score

It stands because, besides ASUprodigy, nobody has provided a rebuttal. You are blind because you say im wrong, yet give no reason. These bad thoughts are corrupting your fragile little minds and ruining this blissful, perfect view you have of this football team.

The concensus of this thread:

I make my point

everyone else: "NUH-UH"

And im wrong? Yeah my attitude towards them is also warranted. If your in fact knowledgable football people as you claim, it shouldnt be hard to come up with a reason as to WHY im wrong in my 'rant', which is factual. We are starting 2 extremely green CBs and have no pass rush, tell me how we are going to win the NFCW?

seesred

Reaction score
Most Defenses play vanilla in the pre season. However we did have 45 sacks just last week with many hurries. We put pressure many times on Rivers causing him to throw to soon and miss his target.

This roster is not finished yet. I believe in Whiz with 3 out of 4 season winners. We will pick up at the least a RB and a CB after this weeks games. It takes time for 51 new faces to find thier spots in just 4 weeks of training. I don't believe you or I know what the finished product will look like. So to forcast anything after 3 pre season games is not even possable.

Our offense looks like it can be pretty good and score points. They will give the D more time to rest and that will give our D less time and a fresher feeling.
I guess we will see, but I see that with PP and Aj, Marshay Green, Adams and ?????? someone else will make up a fairly strong CB team.

GBR

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most 'realistic' approach you can make, without any bias or kool-aid...This defense was ranked 29th overall last year, and 23rd in passing, specifically, since that's the topic of coversation. The cards lost 2 starting CB's, and a starting SS. 'Realistically' speaking, the replacements aren't near as good as their predecessors, which, logically, would tell you the defense will be worse than the previous year. There were no pass rushing improvements made, which makes the situation even more suspect. Realism at it's finest :)

I'd agree that this is a realistic view but I'm not sure it's the "most" realistic view. I think that's open for discussion. We're in trouble in the secondary, that's hard to dispute but I don't think it's a given that our pass rush will continue to be as anemic as it was last season. I'm not sure how much a new DC is going to get us as he's had so little time in position but it's not unreasonable to hope for improvement in our second year players (especially Schofield).

Steve

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It stands because, besides ASUprodigy, nobody has provided a rebuttal. You are blind because you say im wrong, yet give no reason. These bad thoughts are corrupting your fragile little minds and ruining this blissful, perfect view you have of this football team.

The concensus of this thread:

I make my point

everyone else: "NUH-UH"

And im wrong? Yeah my attitude towards them is also warranted. If your in fact knowledgable football people as you claim, it shouldnt be hard to come up with a reason as to WHY im wrong in my 'rant', which is factual. We are starting 2 extremely green CBs and have no pass rush, tell me how we are going to win the NFCW?

I never said you were wrong Beavis, I said your posts suck. It's not a lack of football knowledge, it's the way you go "drama queen/Captain know it all" when you post such ridiculous things. The defense has lost some key guys and it sucks, like your posts.The football topics get lost because your talking sideways the whole time, stating the obvious over and over again while using it as a platform to go after other posters. I can talk football with most anybody, but you don't just talk football, you talk ****. I don't see us seeing eye to eye (me being so blinded and all), so I'll be on my way now, stay up homie.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most Defenses play vanilla in the pre season. However we did have 45 sacks just last week with many hurries. We put pressure many times on Rivers causing him to throw to soon and miss his target.

This roster is not finished yet. I believe in Whiz with 3 out of 4 season winners. We will pick up at the least a RB and a CB after this weeks games. It takes time for 51 new faces to find thier spots in just 4 weeks of training. I don't believe you or I know what the finished product will look like. So to forcast anything after 3 pre season games is not even possable.

Our offense looks like it can be pretty good and score points. They will give the D more time to rest and that will give our D less time and a fresher feeling.
I guess we will see, but I see that with PP and Aj, Marshay Green, Adams and ?????? someone else will make up a fairly strong CB team.

GBR

There's a typo I could live with.

Steve

AsUpRoDiGy

Magnanimous
Reaction score

GBR
If Green makes the team, or even the practice squad for that matter, I will be dumbfounded. Words can't describe how bad this guy is; he can't tackle, he can't catch, and he can't cover... He is literally useless.

I'd agree that this is a realistic view but I'm not sure it's the "most" realistic view. I think that's open for discussion. We're in trouble in the secondary, that's hard to dispute but I don't think it's a given that our pass rush will continue to be as anemic as it was last season. I'm not sure how much a new DC is going to get us as he's had so little time in position but it's not unreasonable to hope for improvement in our second year players (especially Schofield).

Steve
As far as it stands right now, I wouldn't go as far to say it's the worst secondary in the league, only because Rhodes is pretty solid. However, I would say based on CB depth and experience, it is the most questionable secondary in the league, bar none.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Green makes the team, or even the practice squad for that matter, I will be dumbfounded. Words can't describe how bad this guy is; he can't tackle, he can't catch, and he can't cover... He is literally useless.

As far as it stands right now, I wouldn't go as far to say it's the worst secondary in the league, only because Rhodes is pretty solid. However, I would say based on CB depth and experience, it is the most questionable secondary in the league, bar none.

I'd agree. If, somehow, Wilson were to come back and play like he did in 2009 though, I'd put us at least a bit above where we were last year. Add in the possible improvement we'll see throughout the year from Peterson and we could end up quite a bit better than last season. But, in the end, our ability to pressure the QB will be the deciding factor for this secondary. If we haven't improved in that area, we have the potential to be one of the worst pass defense units ever.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.