Reasons to get behind Kevin Kolb

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A lot of folks in here already have him down as toast, and complain about how the toast costs so much. I am not 100% sure he will light it up, and predicting injuries just aint my thing, those can happen to anybody at anytime. But Kolb does have a history of head injuries, but he has already been paid so all we can do is hope for the best this year.

Reason #1
Kolb had no chance to practice last year, new playbook, horrible O-line play (at the beginning of the year), new teamates, and kinda fell into that same "Just try and get it to Fitz when I am in trouble" style all our QBs do when the blitz comes in. This year is different, Kolb has had all offseason to adjust and learn this offense. I expect less crazy feet, more blind side protection, and a more poised Kevin running more audibles when needed.

Reason #2
2 quality runningbacks, that simple. With the return/arrival of Williams to the game, I honestly believe we will run the rock more as long as both backs are semi-healthy. This alone should reduce the number of "all out" blitzes we see per game and maybe even keep our boy healthy longer because of it. Beanie better bring his A game, Williams has been chomping at the bit for quite some time now.

Reason #3
New QB coach has me optimistic, I reall hope for a more balanced playcall this year. Kolb has some good stuff going in his ear while breaking down film, he's not a dumb man and doesn't play scared like some may say. I've seen him take big hits to get the ball down field but nobody can take those hits all game long. The ability to audible at the line, and a more over all understanding of our offense....yamon.

Reason #4
This defense was ragtag when we started out last season. This defense will be bad ass when we start out this season. Time of possession will not be as much of a problem, and we may see Horton's Heroes (trademark) pitch a couple shutouts this season, or atleast hold teams to under 10 points.

Reasons 2 and 4 (especially) can benefit Skelton too if he has to jump in the driver's seat. I see Kolb having/earning the job, but I do like Skelton as well. I don't have to hate on one to root for the other, both have red feathers and I don't know exactly what to expect from either this year...besides improvement.

Reason #5
I bought the friggin jersey!!!! :D

Edit, I skipped my bit on the new rookie receiver opening up new opportuities for everyone, but it's all good.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Be careful getting behind Kolb. He's liable to run into you.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
A lot of folks in here already have him down as toast, and complain about how the toast costs so much. I am not 100% sure he will light it up, and predicting injuries just aint my thing, those can happen to anybody at anytime. But Kolb does have a history of head injuries, but he has already been paid so all we can do is hope for the best this year.

Reason #1
Kolb had no chance to practice last year, new playbook, horrible O-line play (at the beginning of the year), new teamates, and kinda fell into that same "Just try and get it to Fitz when I am in trouble" style all our QBs do when the blitz comes in. This year is different, Kolb has had all offseason to adjust and learn this offense. I expect less crazy feet, more blind side protection, and a more poised Kevin running more audibles when needed.

Neither did Cam Newton nor Andy Dalton

Reason #2

2 quality runningbacks, that simple. With the return/arrival of Williams to the game, I honestly believe we will run the rock more as long as both backs are semi-healthy. This alone should reduce the number of "all out" blitzes we see per game and maybe even keep our boy healthy longer because of it. Beanie better bring his A game, Williams has been chomping at the bit for quite some time now.

That is certainly reason for optimism, but if Whis has shown us anything in the past 5 years its the team is a pass first offense.

Reason #3
New QB coach has me optimistic, I reall hope for a more balanced playcall this year. Kolb has some good stuff going in his ear while breaking down film, he's not a dumb man and doesn't play scared like some may say. I've seen him take big hits to get the ball down field but nobody can take those hits all game long. The ability to audible at the line, and a more over all understanding of our offense....yamon.

The problem is, his brain turns off under pressure and reverts to a scrambling, backpedaling super mess.

Reason #4

This defense was ragtag when we started out last season. This defense will be bad ass when we start out this season. Time of possession will not be as much of a problem, and we may see Horton's Heroes (trademark) pitch a couple shutouts this season, or atleast hold teams to under 10 points.

Can't argue with this.

Reasons 2 and 4 (especially) can benefit Skelton too if he has to jump in the driver's seat. I see Kolb having/earning the job, but I do like Skelton as well. I don't have to hate on one to root for the other, both have red feathers and I don't know exactly what to expect from either this year...besides improvement.

Reason #5

:bang::bang:

Edit, I skipped my bit on the new rookie receiver opening up new opportuities for everyone, but it's all good.

SunDevil

Reaction score
"Neither did Cam Newton nor Andy Dalton"

In Kolb's defense, both Newton and Dalton received their respective playbooks in April. Kolb didn't even join our team until a month before the season started.

SD

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score

Reason #1
Reason #5

I think you missed couple of cracks and nooks to scrape out a positive hope.

Fact of the matter is we ****** up in this trade, done in a state of desperation. Eagles and Andy Reid completely fleeced Rod Graves and the Cardinals org. On top of that we gave Kolb a contract of a proven, successful QB.

Another fact is that an unknown QB from a lesser known school with hardly any experience or off season has not only been more successful but has a very good chance of taking away the starting QB position.

Finally, the way "Kolb's edge" is being talked about in terms of making too much for him to be the starter and not his QB skills, tells a pretty darn lot.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Neither did Cam Newton nor Andy Dalton"

In Kolb's defense, both Newton and Dalton received their respective playbooks in April. Kolb didn't even join our team until a month before the season started.

SD

Did they get playbooks? I thought no contact at all with the players especially the rookies who weren't actually part of the team were they until the CBA settlement?

SunDevil

Reaction score
Did they get playbooks? I thought no contact at all with the players especially the rookies who weren't actually part of the team were they until the CBA settlement?

Yeah, they did. Due to the court case the NFLPA filed, the league was forced to open their doors for 2 days...which just happened to be the day of the draft and the day after.

SD

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'm behind whoever wins the battle in camp, whether that's Kolb or Skelton. I expect both to be at least marginally improved over last year.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I'm behind whoever wins the battle in camp, whether that's Kolb or Skelton. I expect both to be at least marginally improved over last year.

I am with you on that.

Double Duece is still my horse in this race but my primary concern is winning football games.

So whomever that is I will support

Sent from Rugbymuffin's Super Phone

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Comeback wins aside from last year, I don't see how it can get any worse than it has been QB wise. I have high hopes that there will be enough improvement from one of them to give us at least better QB play than we've had for the last couple of years.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hope you right. I do worry about his head and the biproduct of fear. That said, I have hired many people who are slow startes and almost seem worthless untill they grasp the job. Once they do, they become superstars. Now these folks were not NFL football players and I am not saying Kolb will be a superstar but I so suspect he may evoke confidence once he really knows what he is suposed to be doing. Look at how lame our D was before they caught on to Horten's scheme.

OP
OP
desertdawg

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think you missed couple of cracks and nooks to scrape out a positive hope.

Fact of the matter is we ****** up in this trade, done in a state of desperation. Eagles and Andy Reid completely fleeced Rod Graves and the Cardinals org. On top of that we gave Kolb a contract of a proven, successful QB.

Another fact is that an unknown QB from a lesser known school with hardly any experience or off season has not only been more successful but has a very good chance of taking away the starting QB position.

Finally, the way "Kolb's edge" is being talked about in terms of making too much for him to be the starter and not his QB skills, tells a pretty darn lot.
I think Kolb will start because he is the better QB as of right now (not because of the coin), but that's just my opinion. I think Kolb has more of a team around him, and he has had some time to learn this job now.
Skelton being more successful is not a fact IMO, the team did win more games towards the end of the season...but it wasn't because Skelton was going beastmode amigo. I like how he rides when the pressure is really on and all, but the year of Kolb is upon us...getcha bibs and butter ready!!!!

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Ill be behind whomever wins as log as they win convincingly.

The reason I have little faith in Skelton??? He just seems so football dumb to me. I mean a lot of fans here refer to him as Double Deuce on here but do you know how unbelievablely football dumb you have to be to have that happen? We make jokes about Dan Orlovsky but what JS did is ten times worse IMO.

Also go watch the tape. He's a one read guy. Rarely does he go to his 2nd or 3rd option and he forces the ball early and often. And maybe being a dummy helps him in certain aspects as he certainly is tougher in the pocket then Kolb and Maybe all those 4th Qtr comebacks are because he doesn't know any better.

But if I'm betting I'm taking Kolb. Andy Reid's offense is incredibly complicted and he did relatively well there. I bet this offseason gives him the advantage this year over JS that he didn't have last year. IMO Skelton has the better physical tools but Kolb is more likely to make multiple reads and better decisions with the ball.

Guess well see soon enough.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I think Kolb will start because he is the better QB as of right now (not because of the coin), but that's just my opinion. I think Kolb has more of a team around him, and he has had some time to learn this job now.
Skelton being more successful is not a fact IMO, the team did win more games towards the end of the season...but it wasn't because Skelton was going beastmode amigo. I like how he rides when the pressure is really on and all, but the year of Kolb is upon us...getcha bibs and butter ready!!!!
I hope you are right and Kolb works out... I just don't see it happenning.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
But if I'm betting I'm taking Kolb. Andy Reid's offense is incredibly complicted and he did relatively well there. .
Not too well... he was pretty average.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/10480/kevin-kolb

And if he really did relatively well, why did Andy Reid get rid of a young, up-and-coming franchise QB that are so hard to find? It's because Andy Reid realized in the opportunities given to Kolb that this guy is not the QBoF...

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ill be behind whomever wins as log as they win convincingly.

The reason I have little faith in Skelton??? He just seems so football dumb to me. I mean a lot of fans here refer to him as Double Deuce on here but do you know how unbelievablely football dumb you have to be to have that happen? We make jokes about Dan Orlovsky but what JS did is ten times worse IMO.

Also go watch the tape. He's a one read guy. Rarely does he go to his 2nd or 3rd option and he forces the ball early and often. And maybe being a dummy helps him in certain aspects as he certainly is tougher in the pocket then Kolb and Maybe all those 4th Qtr comebacks are because he doesn't know any better.

But if I'm betting I'm taking Kolb. Andy Reid's offense is incredibly complicted and he did relatively well there. I bet this offseason gives him the advantage this year over JS that he didn't have last year. IMO Skelton has the better physical tools but Kolb is more likely to make multiple reads and better decisions with the ball.

Guess well see soon enough.

I'd call Kolb a half read guy... sometimes he makes one read, and if that one read isnt there he starts running around like a chicken with its head cut off... and other plays he never bothers to make any reads and just immediately starts looking for the pass rush.

But seriously, Kolb may have had a couple good GAMES with Reid but he did not do relatively well there. He sucked. The 2010 Eagles were 8-2 when Kolb didnt play and 2-4 when he did and he grew steadily worse during the year (just like last year). Hard to make a claim that he had a decent command of that offense, and that was after 4 years in it.

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only thing I can possibly think of is we really havent seen Kolb yet. Dude was constantly injured last year. He was new to the playbook (so i.e. a rookie). And he had a terrible Oline (which doesnt excuse his inability to stay in the pocket).

When I think of KK, all I see is: injured & runs-to-flats.

So in that regard, Im curious to see what a in-the-pocket/ not injured KK can do.

Be careful getting behind Kolb. He's liable to run into you.

clever girl

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only need one reason to get behind KK... he wears a Cardinal on his helmet.

Do I think he's got the goods? Sadly, not really and I was a big proponent of the trade. But I do think he'll be the starter because of that trade and thus I have to support him while he's out there.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Kolb has to do two things IMO.

Stay healthy and step UP in the pocket.

If he does that and the rest of the team does their job we will be fine.

I feel better about this group than the one they had two years ago. ;)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05