Reflections on a Train Wreck

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Last Sunday it seemed to me that the Seahawks laid down on the tracks and the Cards derailed rather than run over them.

Sorry I didn’t get to this sooner. I spent the week in Wisconsin, including Green Bay, and if you think Cards’ fans are concerned……

Here’s how I saw it. The coaching staff has to assume much of the blame for this loss. On defense, the blitz package and pass rush looked old and Seattle handled most of it. Jones owned Berry and that makes two games in a row that he was ineffective as a pass rusher. I was very surprised the Cards didn’t stunt with him more and try to move him around. Maybe Dansby is not 100%, but Pace is and I didn’t see the Cards attack with the linebackers to create pressure. I know Seattle didn’t score much, but they stopped themselves as much as the defense stopped them. The Cards did stop Alexander fairly well, but Seattle still rushed for nearly 150 yards. Hasselbeck had a terrible game, but Seattle still had only 10 yards passing less than the Cards. The defense wasn’t terrible, but they were also a long way from dominant.

On offense, the line seemed to be regressing rather than moving forward. There were solutions available this off-season and the Cards did virtually nothing. It wasn’t like every experienced writer in the world didn’t point this out. The only “major” acquisition, Brown, contributed to poor line play at Texas and he’s making the same contribution in Arizona. The remaining cast members performed poorly last year. The line lacks discipline and leadership. Even routine stunting still continues to befuddle them. I agree with previous posters that more would be gained from putting people in one place and leaving them there. Flipping Wells and Liwienski was nonsensical. Green has coached both players and it seems bizarre that he wasn’t aware of their capabilities. The offensive line moves seem like desperation. Closely related to this issue is the Cards failure to sign a strong blocking tight end. Those guys are not cap busters. Bergen and Pope have been astoundingly ineffective when used in this role. Until this line becomes more accountable, wins will be tough, like week one.

On offense, the running game is a disaster. Maybe now the dissenters, who thought every AZ running back was lousy, will finally understand that no back runs well behind a bad line. Who knows how good Shipp or Arrington could do with a real line in front of them? Jones seems to be at least adequate in Chicago. I must add in all fairness that play design is not very imaginative. Few screens, counter plays and other measures to slow penetration were employed. Slants, wide receiver screens and swing passes would help. Certainly trying a two-man backfield to get a lead blocker would be an option.

The passing game is also unimaginative. Of course, Warner is under so much pressure that there is little time to accomplish complex routes. There rarely seems to be a “hot” read on blitzes, though they did hit Johnson on one. The absence of blazing speed among the Cards’ offensive skill players does impact this strategy somewhat. When you don’t have either speed or protection, it’s hard to design a successful offense.

I expect the O-line to improve enough that the Cards can limp into the playoffs. However, several teams in this league are improving at a much faster pace. If this team doesn’t make the playoffs Green has no basis for a complaint if there is a price to be paid.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Awesome write up Harry. Nice to here an expert say that its COACHING! Its especially troubling when you mention the things Green should have known about players he coached prior.

Last edited:

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What makes this report really sad is despite all the downfalls we actually had a chance to win this game with 9 minutes left to play.
The Bergen fumble let the air out or sails but even with that we still had the ball with almost 6 minutes left to play and did nothing with it.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
Harry said:
On offense, the running game is a disaster. Maybe now the dissenters, who thought every AZ running back was lousy, will finally understand that no back runs well behind a bad line. Who knows how good Shipp or Arrington could do with a real line in front of them? Jones seems to be at least adequate in Chicago.

We've known this for years so it baffles me that some people still blamed it on the running back (whomever it was at the time: Jones, Pittman, Shipp, Emmitt, Arrington, et al).

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Yeah, Milford Brown wasn't exactly my idea of a overhaul more like a small band aid.

I kept saying that I wish we'd get a quality O line coach, not because I thought coaching alone would fix the problem but because I hoped a fresh impartial outside evaluation would finally cause this team to do something to fix the run game.

I thought, well surely the new guy would have some input about how much help we needed in the form of new players.

This concerns me that again we are in the same spot, it means either Loney dosen't know what he is doing, or DG told him what to think in not so many words or the front office went for EJ then turned off the money.

Any of those answers aren't particularly appealing.

Reaction score
Harry said:
I expect the O-line to improve enough that the Cards can limp into the playoffs.
:)

The Cardinals are a very much improved club from what they were three years ago... but DG's warts are beginning to show!

If Michael Bidwill wants to keep things moving in the right direction he will consider moving Green to a GM position (perhaps that is why Rod Graves tjtle/contract hasn't been defined?) and hiring head coach that is better at game planning and management.

Jeff Fisher comes to mind...

AZ Shocker

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Think of it this way...
Are you still waiting for a Cardinal victory where you say...
"Damn...Dennis Green is a hell of a coach! Great game plan and players absolutely respond to him!"

Ha-ha...in the 3 years, I've never EVER thought..."Wow, what a great call! or "Man...coach Green has got these guys playing some ball!"

Unfortunently it's been...

"Gee-zus...you have got to be kiddng me!"

or..."How can you not block that guy?"

or..."Why are our covers 10 yards off the line of scrimmage?"

or..."Do we not know how much time is left in the freaking game? Line up and snap the ball you idiots!!!"

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Certainly trying a two-man backfield to get a lead blocker would be an option.

Which makes the release of James Hodgins even more questionable IMO. With the pi$$ poor blocking ability of the tight ends, it would have been nice to have an at least adequate blocking back.

OP
OP
Harry

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
On the surface a move of Green to GM would seem fine. There is no question his drafts have been among the best in the league. However, he seems to have been unable to cultivate any relationships with experienced coaches, especially at the coordinator level. There is also the possiblity that he feels threatened by experienced coordinators. Green strikes me as a control freak, which is not good in a GM. He would likely pick coaches with weak personalities or limited experience who would not challenge his authority. The Cards need leadership and could not get it in that environment.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Harry said:
On the surface a move of Green to GM would seem fine. There is no question his drafts have been among the best in the league. However, he seems to have been unable to cultivate any relationships with experienced coaches, especially at the coordinator level. There is also the possiblity that he feels threatened by experienced coordinators. Green strikes me as a control freak, which is not good in a GM. He would likely pick coaches with weak personalities or limited experience who would not challenge his authority. The Cards need leadership and could not get it in that environment.

You are right on, Harry. Thank you for pointing out the obvious. IMO.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
CardLogic said:
:)

The Cardinals are a very much improved club from what they were three years ago... but DG's warts are beginning to show!

If Michael Bidwill wants to keep things moving in the right direction he will consider moving Green to a GM position (perhaps that is why Rod Graves tjtle/contract hasn't been defined?) and hiring head coach that is better at game planning and management.

Jeff Fisher comes to mind...

Card logic hit the nail on the head.DG`s shortcomings are showing up now and maybe he`s done all he can do.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Garthshort said:
Didn't Edge veto that idea. He was used to being a single back in Indy.

This has been driving me nuts ever since Edge signed. "edge wants this" or "edge wants the stretch play" or ...

IMO The players should not be running this asylum.

Also, all you guys who think Green should move to GM, do you really think Green would go for having his coaching duties revoked? I think he'd look at this as both a demotion and a blow to his ego. He'd rather go fishing.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bratwurst said:
This has been driving me nuts ever since Edge signed. "edge wants this" or "edge wants the stretch play" or ...

Also, all you guys who think Green should move to GM, do you really think Green would go for having his coaching duties revoked? I think he'd look at this as both a demotion and a blow to his ego. He'd rather go fishing.

I agree. Edge needs to do as the coaches say and if it means a change from how it was done in Indy so be it.

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
I can't believe with the line troubles that Hodgins isn't back in here. We could have resigned him after week 1 for less money and his contract figure would have been guaranteed.

OK here's a stretch play for edge... Barry Sanders didn't have a blocking back until the tail end of his career, and then he exploded for over 2000 yards.

I know, I know, Edge is nothing like Barry Sanders, but my point is, the change can be made and for all he knows, it could help. Hell, with this line, it couldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Harry said:
On offense, the line seemed to be regressing rather than moving forward. There were solutions available this off-season and the Cards did virtually nothing.
Thank you for setting the record straight. There's a fair bit of revisionist history being written on the board of late.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
So far, Edgerrin James is averaging less per carry than Arrington did last year.

Scot1

Registered
Reaction score
Running the Asylum

In general, Brat, I think you're right. But considering the actions and accomplishments of this coaching staff, vs. the actions and stands Edge has taken since he's come here, I would happily give him the title 'Head Coach Deluxe' and let him give Denny 2 orders per week, then go back to playing RB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Pariah said:
Thank you for setting the record straight. There's a fair bit of revisionist history being written on the board of late.

Revisionist history? Looks like the same ol' Cardinals to me.

I don't see anything different out there from what I saw in 1991.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
bratwurst said:

I was thinking about the same thing as well bratwurst. Would Green even want the GM position if it was offered to him? Seems as if he would likely consider this a demotion.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05