Refs....Total BS

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Cards had some calls and non calls that sucked, but they still had the lead with 2:37 left and couldn't seal the deal... The Steelers came through in the clutch...

Reaction score
I was discouraged to see that happening. It is really frustrating to see every tick tack penalty called. But seriously I would have said this if we lost, great game guys, the Cards played incredible and did indeed shock the world!

NYCARDS

Registered
Reaction score
This bashing of the refs is completely embarassing. C'mon already. We lost fair and square.

I wont bash the refs but if nothing else they should have at least looked at that last play they ruled a fumble. I mean come on its the freakin Super Bowl and you wont look at that last play?

Reaction score
The refs were way too much of a factor. But it was going both ways. When it comes to big games, I'm a big fan of the refs who swallow the whistles and let em play unless it's something blatanly obvious that has to be called.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
No one is blaming the loss on the refs.

They were way too much of a factor in the game, we lost fair and square and let's just say I demand better out of them to pay my money to the NFL and leave it at that.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Chase says Cards would've had the ball at the 29 yard line if final play was reviewed and overturned. How? I guess there was a personal fould during the play?

Also, I did not notice the celebration by Holmes, I was too busy throwing a fit...

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was a night marred by questionable calls, but the game managed to make everyone forget about the disparity in penalties (106 yards for the Cardinals against just 56 for the Steelers) with its stellar play. And then came the unreviewed call. It's especially interesting that the play went without a second look considering the Cardinals correctly challenged two plays during the play (both of which should have been easy calls on the field but were botched by the refs).

The 11 penalties whistled on Arizona included a preposterous roughing the passer penalty on a play that wouldn't have been uncommon in touch football. That came on a drive that saw two ,pre personal foul penalties on the Cards, one of which gave the Steelers another chance to score from the goal line. For the evening, 18 penalties were called, the third-most in Super Bowl history. A missed call may have proven enormous also. After Santonio Holmes' game-winning touchdown catch he did an imitation of LeBron James' chalk move. Using the ball as a prop is an automatic 15-yard penalty on the kickoff.

Preacher

Rookie
Reaction score
I wont bash the refs but if nothing else they should have at least looked at that last play they ruled a fumble. I mean come on its the freakin Super Bowl and you wont look at that last play?

did you notice how much time it took for them to let the Steelers snap the ball? I think it was the refs holding it back waiting to see if they would review. That means the guys upstairs saw it and said no.

But it was a heck of a game. . .

I understand what many are saying, these close games sting more than blowouts. It is much teh same way we felt in SB 30.

Reaction score
The refs were way too much of a factor, thats true. But the score should have been Steelers leading. Even if we forget about the safety that shouldnt have been; the score should have been 24-23 Steelers (adding the 4 points on the opening drive FG that should have been a TD). Santonio's catch never should have had to have been a game winner. That said, good teams overcome bad calls, and the Steelers did it again, and pulled off winning #6.

All that said, good game Cardinals! I knew it would be. It lived up to the billing. I'm glad my Steelers won though!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why shouldn't it have been a safety? Pittsburgh held on most every passing down, that one was so blatant the refs had to call it.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score
Even if we forget about the safety that shouldnt have been; the score should have been 24-23 Steelers (adding the 4 points on the opening drive FG that should have been a TD). Santonio's catch never should have had to have been a game winner. That said, good teams overcome bad calls, and the Steelers did it again, and pulled off winning #6.

*chuckle*

Impressive effort to work your way around to the Steelers overcoming bad calls to win.

Only a blinded Steeler fan wouldn't recognize that the holding penalty on the safety had to be called by any competent ref. The dude got pulled down. And the reversal on the opening drive TD, jeez, how much more clear did the replay have to be? They froze it for you on TV and zoomed in on the relevant bits.

New Mexico

Fan since 1976ish
Reaction score
There were some ticky tack calls for sure, but I'm not pinning this loss on the refs. We had the lead and couldn't hold it, and I don't remember there being any calls against us on the final drive. In fact, the one penalty I remember was a holding penalty on the Steelers that backed them up to their twelve yard line on first and twenty.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This bashing of the refs is completely embarassing. C'mon already. We lost fair and square.
Agreed.

safe.gif

(even tho at one point the commentators even said some thing about Holmgren having visits from ghosts of SBs past)

Last edited:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The refs sucked ass from their non calls on PIT to their excessive ricky tack calls on AZ. PIT converted two huge 3rd down early in the game on blatant holding penalties. Warners arm was going forward and they just sucked. The NFL should be embarassed that this was the "best" crew they could offer. The refs weren't the reason why we lost, but they were A reason why we lost. Those refs effing sucked they were biased and it showed.

Reaction score
*chuckle*

Impressive effort to work your way around to the Steelers overcoming bad calls to win.

Only a blinded Steeler fan wouldn't recognize that the holding penalty on the safety had to be called by any competent ref. The dude got pulled down. And the reversal on the opening drive TD, jeez, how much more clear did the replay have to be? They froze it for you on TV and zoomed in on the relevant bits.

I am not a blinded Steeler fan. There were other fans at the bar I was at the agreed with me on some of those calls. I'll give the Cards the safety, fine. Even the first drive difference in score between field goal and TD. Fine. Ben is just a gamer, and knows how to lead the team to a game winner, so yes, in the end, we did overcome any of the calls we as Steelers fans felt were bad calls (whether they were ot not in y'alls opinion).

Steelers made the plays when it counted. That's why we have 6 rings now :)

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Chase says Cards would've had the ball at the 29 yard line if final play was reviewed and overturned. How? I guess there was a personal fould during the play?

Also, I did not notice the celebration by Holmes, I was too busy throwing a fit...

Yup, one of the players took their helmet off in celebration which is a personal foul penalty.

There were really two plays that annoyed me in terms of officiating:

- The personal foul on Dansby. I'm sorry but that's a half step and a weak push, there was absolutely no need to call a penalty. Should we just put a dress on the QB and say players can't touch him already?

- The other was that they didn't look at the play at the end which is horribly disappointing. That was a close call and at the bare minimum should have been given another look.

The officiating didn't cost us the game. However there is plenty of reason to talk about it. This was not a well officiated game.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
As a somewhat unbiased Cowboys fan (what a mess that franchise is), I'd say the Cardinals got "screwed" a few times. (Needing to waste 2 challenges, for example.)

But the Cardinals REALLY got screwed at the end of the game. How do you not at least review the Warner fumble? It's basically the last play of the Superbowl. Amazing.

OP
OP
R

RolleRocks

Registered
Reaction score
I am not a blinded Steeler fan. There were other fans at the bar I was at the agreed with me on some of those calls. I'll give the Cards the safety, fine. Even the first drive difference in score between field goal and TD. Fine. Ben is just a gamer, and knows how to lead the team to a game winner, so yes, in the end, we did overcome any of the calls we as Steelers fans felt were bad calls (whether they were ot not in y'alls opinion).

Screw you.

Spielman

Non-Troll Rams Fan
Reaction score

Ugh.