Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that's a shock...

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
im pretty sure the pistons and hornets games sealed the deal on him going back to SA. i dont blame him.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Come on, a guy named "4 Rings" comes on and quotes a Spur message board? It may very well be true, but you guys can't honestly take his word for it?

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
The NBA needs to outlaw this practice

This is an overt subversion of the salary cap. Trade a contract you want to dump. Other team buys out contract. Former team re-signs at lower more cap friendly contract. I'd propose the NBA puts a rule in place that the person could not be re-signed by trading team until the following season.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, a guy named "4 Rings" comes on and quotes a Spur message board? It may very well be true, but you guys can't honestly take his word for it?

Their board seems to trust him and his source.

I take his word (after reading their posts about it). Lots of Lakers sites have very good sources who you can trust...people who broke the Pau trade hours before it happened, as well as the Ariza trade.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is an overt subversion of the salary cap. Trade a contract you want to dump. Other team buys out contract. Former team re-signs at lower more cap friendly contract. I'd propose the NBA puts a rule in place that the person could not be re-signed by trading team until the following season.

I agree. Look for this loophole to be closed soon, though it might have to wait for a new CBA?

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score

I agree with that completely.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I'm not taking the Spurs board's word for it. I just never thought he'd come here if SA were still in the equation.

I agree with whoever said it should be against NBA rules to trade a player and be able to sign them 30 days later. I've hated the situation ever since Gary Payton did it when he was traded to the Hawks for a day.

some_user86

Reaction score
Kori and LJ Ellis are journalists (they own the board and LJ goes by the ID "timvp"). It would make sense that they know sources.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Obviously he is still hasn't decided. If it was as easy as going to back to San Antonio it would have happened already. Obviously, this isn't a no brainer decision as Spurs fans would lead you to believe.

I will believe it when I hear an official announcement.

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
Obviously he is still hasn't decided. If it was as easy as going to back to San Antonio it would have happened already. Obviously, this isn't a no brainer decision as Spurs fans would lead you to believe.

The Suns were doomed IMO when they didn't hear back soon after he cleared waivers. The longer this drags out, the more bleak I think it looks for the Suns of landing him.

Obviously, I will still hold out some hope that he'll sign here, but I don't have a good feeling about it.

some_user86

Reaction score

Apparently, the Suns asked for an answer within a day or two so that they could make a decision whether or not to pursue someone else. So he decided not to drag the process out any longer since it wasn't fair to the Suns.

Apparently, the announcement should come later tonight or early tomorrow.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Brent Barry wasnt going to make a huge difference anyway, certainly not put the suns over the top. He cant play defense, so he isnt complementary to Nash, Barbosa, or stoudemire(other suns defenders of ill repute). With Barry on the floor the defense would be like an even larger mesh sieve. And giricek is probably a worse defender than barry. If the suns can't develop the cohesiveness and become more effective with who they have, it may be time to clean up the rods and reels and get 'em ready.

Last edited:

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Well, my mom, and my mom is NEVER wrong, says Barry will sign with the Suns. :)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently, the Suns asked for an answer within a day or two so that they could make a decision whether or not to pursue someone else.

That is doubtful. They want Gordan Giricek as a possible back up plan and as far as I know he hasn't been bought out yet. So the Suns have nothing to gain by asking for a decision from Barry. Gordon can't even be officially be spoken to yet.

As long as they get an answer by the deadline I am sure they are willing to wait. They want Brent Barry more.

Brent Barry wasnt going to make a huge difference anyway, certainly not put the suns over the top. He cant play defense, so he isnt complementary to Nash, Barbosa, or stoudemire(other suns defenders of ill repute). With Barry on the floor the defense would be like an even larger mesh sieve. And giricek is probably a worse defender than barry. If the suns can't develop the cohesiveness and become more effective with who they have, it may be time to clean up the rods and reels and get 'em ready.

Disagree. More outside shooting is exactly what we need. We have had horrible spacing since the trade and one way to cure that is put a guy out there that is a legit 3 point thread. The other thing I think people keep forgetting about Barry is he is a good slasher to the bucket. Something we miss since trading Marion. He is not a good defensive player but we are not asking him to play starter minutes. We are asking him to makes some 3's when the offense goes stagnant which will improve spacing. He fits that bill.

Last edited:

Rab

Angry Vedder
Reaction score
I don't think the Suns need to rush him to a decision. Don't players just have to clear waivers by March 1st? They don't have to sign them by then right?

Maligzar

Registered
Reaction score

The Spurs can't sign him for 30 days from the point he was released.

I'm also pretty sure they are not even suppose to talk to him about coming back, that sort of under the table agreement is what almost got that Dallas/Jersey trade nixed...

some_user86

Reaction score
That is doubtful. They want Gordan Giricek as a possible back up plan and as far as I know he hasn't been bought out yet. So the Suns have nothing to gain by asking for a decision from Barry. Gordon can't even be officially be spoken to yet.

As long as they get an answer by the deadline I am sure they are willing to wait. They want Brent Barry more.

Disagree. More outside shooting is exactly what we need. We have had horrible spacing since the trade and one way to cure that is put a guy out there that is a legit 3 point thread. The other thing I think people keep forgetting about Barry is he is a good slasher to the bucket. Something we miss since trading Marion. He is not a good defensive player but we are not asking him to play starter minutes. We are asking him to makes some 3's when the offense goes stagnant which will improve spacing. He fits that bill.

Well, I am just trying to piece together what happened.

That was a guess based on what a Suns poster said on another forum:

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=767376&start=12

dbdynsty25 said:
Barry will not drag it out...since the Suns are asking him for an answer today. That way they have a couple days to decide if they want to bring anyone else it.

Again. I wouldn't take that at face value (maybe I should've prefaced my statement the second time).

However, the first post is believable given that Kori Ellis works for several newspapers as a writer and a TV studio (WOAI) in San Antonio as a reporter.

The Man In Black

Registered
Reaction score

Here is the problem that affects his decision with going to the Suns.
Brent is INJURED. He's had this calf issue already 1 time in the season, then got back on the court only to re-injure the same calf. Why is this an issue? Because of the simple fact that if he wanted to play with the Suns, he'd have to get on the court and learn the offense. Doing that would help give him a feel of how the others play and interact. That would take quite some time to get on the same page for his role would be much different than Shaq's. His role would require a larger percentage of court coverage to help keep the D'Antoni offense flowing. But since he can't yet play, how is he going to do that?

Choosing San Antonio gives him the luxury of time, of making sure that he will be as healthy as possible, because he doesn't have to learn an offense he already knows, he doesn't have to learn his teammates, and because of what is familiar, it's an easy choice.

Had he been pain-free, I think Phoenix offers him a superlative choice, he has friends on the team and front office, it's a nice place to be, even closer to the west coach beaches that Brent frequently longboards at when he has time. But, for an injured calf, San Antonio is a convenient choice indeed.