Reliable Source: Barry will sign with SA

krispydude

\_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_ \_
Reaction score
barry has chosen the spurs my txt says from ktar...

im only 20 min late...

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Are you kidding me? A lot of teams wanted him, including the Spurs, Lakers and Pistons. Brent Barry is not in the same class of free agent as Grant Hill.
Yeah i remember that. Was Grant Hill the prize of free agency last summer? No. Maybe in hindsight yes.
As of the last week, Brent Barry was the prize in F.A.
I just don't think you can put Hill's high risk injury situation in the same class as the Brent Barry situation. Sure, Hill is a better player than Barry....thats clear now that Hill's managed to stay healthy & play at a high level.
What i'm sayin is that when it comes down to highly coveted F.A's being chased by contending teams...we lose.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, now AZCentral has an article so I guess it's settled
Barry picks Spurs over Suns

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 28, 2008 07:24 PM

Brent Barry will not be playing for Phoenix.

Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said the 36-year-old guard told him tonight that he chose San Antonio over Phoenix, as well as suitors like Boston, Dallas and Houston. Barry cleared waivers Tuesday after being traded by San Antonio last week to Seattle, which released him Friday to set off a week of recruiting.

Barry will not be able to sign a deal with San Antonio until March 21 because NBA rules prohibit a player from re-signing with a team that traded him until 30 days after the deal was made.

"I spoke with Brent and he informed me he was going to stay in San Antonio," Kerr said. "He said that it was a tough decision but he's going to stay."

Phoenix is now expected to turn its attention to Philadelphia 6-foot-6 guard Gordan Giricek, who the 76ers planned to release so that he could sign with Phoenix if Barry turned down the Suns. Giricek has not been bought out by the 76ers yet and would have to clear waivers for a 48-hour period before he could sign with Phoenix. The 76ers visit Phoenix on Saturday.

Barry, nicknamed "Bones" for his 6-foot-7, 210-pound frame, was targeted by the Suns to help them spread the floor better with another shooter and have another playmaking option with his ability to slide to point guard. Barry is a career 40.7 percent 3-point shooter and the Suns are trying to keep the floor spread as they work in Shaquille O'Neal, who can not play as wide as Shawn Marion did to start possessions.

Barry helped the Spurs win 2005 and 2007 titles and his family is settled in San Antonio. He was already guaranteed his full $5.7 million for the season from the Spurs but now can make a pro-rated veteran's minimum check in addition to it. The Spurs and Suns were offering a contract that was fully guaranteed for next season but the Spurs were believed to be adding a partial guarantee for 2009-10 as well.

Barry is in his 13th NBA season out of Oregon State and has been with San Antonio since 2004.

With Barry, Phoenix would have boasted four of the 17 most accurate NBA 3-point shooters in NBA history with Steve Nash (sixth), Leandro Barbosa (11th), Barry (14th) and Raja Bell (17th).

Giricek, 29, is a 36.7 percent career 3-point shooter who has rarely played since being traded to Philadelphia for Kyle Korver. He is not the playmaker that Barry is but is a better defender. Giricek, originally from Yugoslavia, has only appeared in six of the past 22 Philadelphia games.

He was a double-digit scorer for most of his first five NBA seasons with Memphis, Orlando and Utah but fell out of favor with Jazz coach Jerry Sloan this season before being dealt.
http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0228barry.html

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Lucky for the front office, this farce has taken a lot of the pressure off of the team getting routed in 2 of the last 3 games.

fordronken

Reaction score
Yeah i remember that. Was Grant Hill the prize of free agency last summer? No. Maybe in hindsight yes.
As of the last week, Brent Barry was the prize in F.A.
I just don't think you can put Hill's high risk injury situation in the same class as the Brent Barry situation. Sure, Hill is a better player than Barry....thats clear now that Hill's managed to stay healthy & play at a high level.
What i'm sayin is that when it comes down to highly coveted F.A's being chased by contending teams...we lose.

Wait, so you're saying he's the class of the free agent waiver wire? He went back to his old team, and we were a close second. The class of free agency during the summer is a very different situation from the class of the free agency period with a waiver.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wait, so you're saying he's the class of the free agent waiver wire? He went back to his old team, and we were a close second. The class of free agency during the summer is a very different situation from the class of the free agency period with a waiver.
-Yeah he was & bottom line is we were unable to get him in here & now were looking at Giriceck. Oops.
-Sure it's different. My point remains though. Grant Hill was not the prized missing piece to everybody's championship puzzle last summer & while we got him in here, it wasn't like we flaunted it around the league to the San Antonio's,the Lakers, etc...which is the position the SPURS are in by winning back a guy they've traded twice.
Grant Hill was a questionable signing at the time albeit a one-year deal.

I'm afraid we've crossed signals here.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
Well, now AZCentral has an article so I guess it's settled

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/0228barry.html

Hey guys, remember the other day when someone found that wierd articel by Paul Coro that didn't make sense. It was titled something like "Suns land/miss out on Barry"?

Take a look at the article. Like I said originally, it was just a filler page, so whatever Barry did, Coro would have most of the article written with minor tweaks to get it out to the public.

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
I hate that this was all drawn out and we knew what he was doing from the start. He only publically stated he was thinking it over so it sounded like he wasn't trying to pull a Stackhouse.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Anytime now, there will be an announcement from the NBA office investigating this, since it seems to be a prearranged agreement between the two teams, ala Stackhouse.

:crickets:

Hello, Stern?

:crickets:

Agloco

Veteran
Reaction score
The Spurs can't sign him for 30 days from the point he was released.

I'm also pretty sure they are not even suppose to talk to him about coming back, that sort of under the table agreement is what almost got that Dallas/Jersey trade nixed...

It did get nixed. Cuban had to rework the deal without including Stackhouse. It cost him in the neighborhood of 12 million extra. Not that it matters to him ........

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This thing smells of prearrangement with some drama to show it wasn't...

This is a crap rule that must be addressed by the league since teams are misusing it to work around salary cap issues.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It makes me mad that the Suns allowed themselves to be pawns in selling this charade to the league. Hopefully, Cuban and Kerr pitch a fit to the league and get the deal nixed. I won't be holding my breath though.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
So I guess Giricek can just fly in tomorrow with the Sixers and stay here with the Suns. How convenient that is...

At least Sarver will save the extra airfare...

da_suns_fan

Registered
Reaction score
You do know that Emplay, AKA Eric Pincus writes and does radio, right? He does lockerroom interviews and is treated just like any other member of the press.

Far more access than 99 percent of internet doofballs like you and I. :)

You fool...he writes for HOOPSWORLD!!!!

Thats Hoopsworld (NOT HOOPSHYPE)!!! Amateur hour! He is NOT a journalist.

Funny, if I was gonna make an analogy I would compare him to Kori Ellis of Spurstalk. A "freelance" writer (meaning she can't get a permanent gig) who "writes" about WEDDING PLANNING and somehow got a media pass. The other posters at SpursTalk BOW at her command!

Ive never seen anything published for "Emplay" other than hoopsworld. And for those who don't know, hoopsworld is a group of amatuer posters with no formal journalistic background who started a site and decided to call themselves "insiders".

Cracks me up when the LakersGround retards give him props for HIS weekly "power rankings".

"Good job emplay, didn't expect the Lakers to be that high...."

Morons.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05