Remember the Rockets

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember going to the very first game of the Barkley era in the preseason.

was it against the Pistons? I think I went to that game also... although that might have been the last pre-season game of the year. Oliver Miller went coast to coast, dribbling between his legs. My friends, one of their father's and I went nuts.

god I loved that team. I'll probably never love another team like I did that 1992-3 Suns team.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I remember going to the very first game of the Barkley era in the preseason.

IIRC the preseason that year was the only time Barkley wore the old Suns uniform. They went with their new unis at the start of the regular season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't remember any of that stuff. I remember blue skies, sweet chocolate, a good burger, pretty women, funny TV shows, great action movies but none of this stuff you're all talking about. Granted, it's taken me quite awhile to get to that point.

Steve

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
IIRC the preseason that year was the only time Barkley wore the old Suns uniform. They went with their new unis at the start of the regular season.

Yep.

I remember watching pre-season games at the sports bar.

That is how crazy that off season was.

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was thinking about the Rockets last night as I watched Pop talk about how his team were grown men and knew what they had to do in Game 3.

I think Game 3 is BIGGER now than ever. They are playing Dracula, you must kill him by driving a stake through his heart. The Suns have to exercise this demon from their chest and minds. Winning Game 3 will go a long way to making that possible. They must crush the Spurs Spirit. Channing and Dudley better pack their 'home games' with them on the road.

That would explain why the Spurs suck so much.

I'll do this one to myself :trout:

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH, i think game 3 will be less pressure for the team. If they don't let 2-0 get to their heads, i believe they will shoot better, I am anticipating better performance from Barbs and Dragic. If they have a shot of taking one in SA, it has to be game 3 because game 4 will just be that much harder.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 93-95 playoffs were PAINFUL. '93 we could all live with, we did face the greatest NBA player of all time in the finals. but '94 and '95 we had trips to finals in the bag, and choked. I really do think the suns franchise is cursed. I think that one game winning shot Barkley had against the admiral David Robinson cursed us against the spurs from then on. hopefully we can exercise those demons this year!

I know those Rockets series were the most painful ever for me. I've never really recovered from them as a Suns fans. Before that, the most brutal was losing games 6 and 7 to the Sonics in 1977. The Eastern Conference champs were the Bullets, who were so hobbled they had absolutely no chance in the Finals. Seattle swept them easily. That was our best shot ever at a trophy. The second was 94 when we lost to the Rockets because the Magic were such a weak Finals team. Then, 1976 and finally 1993 because of Jordan.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBH, i think game 3 will be less pressure for the team. If they don't let 2-0 get to their heads, i believe they will shoot better, I am anticipating better performance from Barbs and Dragic. If they have a shot of taking one in SA, it has to be game 3 because game 4 will just be that much harder.

I agree. I also have the feeling we're due for a game where we shoot lights out.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Big difference between now and 1995 is that if we win the 1995 series we are the favorites to win the title among the 4 remaining teams (unlike 2007 where we would have no doubt won the title, utah and joke cleveland team were up next).

If we win now we might be the 4th favorite out of the remaining 4 teams to win the title.

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I was there, too. Upper level northwestern corner of the Madhouse on McDowell. I thought it was pretty dirty, actually, and I wasn't too thrilled about it. Thought Ainge was going to get punched and I wouldn't have defended him.

Agreed, I loved ainge as a competitor, but that was completely over the line. He's lucky he didnt get knocked the hell out. If not by a punch, a wicked back screen or something.

If you want to celeberate an ainge shove it moment, celebrate this:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, I loved ainge as a competitor, but that was completely over the line. He's lucky he didnt get knocked the hell out. If not by a punch, a wicked back screen or something.

If you want to celeberate an ainge shove it moment, celebrate this:

god I loved that team.

that was the worst part about all our "freakish" losses. Against the Rox in 94, Seattle was already knocked out and all that awaited us in the Finals was that pathetic Knicks team who should have lost to a Jordan-less Bulls team and then a mediocre Pacers team after that. They were ripe for the kill. And in 95, all that stood in our way was that soft as hell Spurs club and the Magic and we all remember how easy Utah/Cleveland would have been. SIGH!!!!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, whoever thought Magic could do color commentary on games?

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I just cried a little when I saw that video again. :( Dang I hate Elli/Horry/Cassell/Paxon/Randy Livingston/Richard Dumas and Fing Luke Longley all of these people have cost us a championship. ERRRR!

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
was it against the Pistons? I think I went to that game also... although that might have been the last pre-season game of the year. Oliver Miller went coast to coast, dribbling between his legs. My friends, one of their father's and I went nuts.

god I loved that team. I'll probably never love another team like I did that 1992-3 Suns team.

Sure was. We won by 40+ points too.

I actually didn't remember that tidbit.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure was. We won by 40+ points too.

yeah, that game was a BLAST. People were so giddy for what that team was gonna be... and then they actually lived up to the hype. maybe it was because I was still young and relatively innocent, but I just can't imagine adoring any other sports team like that for the rest of the my life. That team had such ridiculous talent, high fliers, guys shooting three pointers from 5 feet behind the line, a great mix of long-time Suns with Barkley and Ainge as the new comers to bring a new attitude but more than anything, it had CHARISMA that just isn't evident in today's game.

I actually didn't remember that tidbit.

yeah, I remembered that. I wish they went back to those unis. they're my favorite.

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
Today, the soul of this franchise burned brighter then the sun.

Redemption is right around the corner, oh I can taste it. Championship or no championship, one more game and a demon has been slain.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05