Remember the Rockets

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needed to suggest to Gentry to Remember the Rockets. 1995. Mario Elie. The year I became convinced Colangelo had definitely made enemies of a gypsy in 1968. Because I knew then the Suns were definitely cursed. It was no longer a coincidence.

This should burn in all our memories. Current Suns players have no emotional attachment to this, but they need to know they need to go to San Antonio and unleash hell because there's more than one curse that needs to be broken in this series. The Suns are playing for the soul of the franchise now.

illone

Reaction score
I don't remember much from 1995, but I can tell you this, I'm going to bask in the glory at this point.

The Suns are legit!

TBaslim

Planet Orange
Reaction score
Well said. I really hope our guys don't get cocky.

Confident? Heck yeah.

Resolved to victory? You bet.

Determined to ride the ebbs and flows of the game and trust each other that they can always win? Absolutely.

Cocky? That would be so stupid.

I think and hope the leadership of Nash and Hill will play a big role on this front in the locker room.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yes, in both 1994 and 95 we blew a 2-0 series lead to the Rockets. In 94 we lost three straight after winning the first two on the road. In 95 we blew a 3-1 lead by losing the final three games of the series. The Spurs, on the other hand, came back from 0-2 just a few years back against the Hornets.

Clearly, the Suns need to treat game 3 as a must-win. If the Suns lose that game, the Spurs will feel confident they can even the series by winning game 4 at home. If the Suns win game 3, then the Spurs would need to win three straight just to even that series and I don't think anyone's ever come back from 0-3. So hopefully the Suns can realize the importance of the next game and play like their season depended on it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as "Paxson for 3!" hurt, it didn't hold a candle to the collapse the next two years. I can live with losing to MJ, but damnit, we were BETTER than those Rockets teams.

94% of teams who win the first two games of a series win it... and we've been the exception to the rule TWICE. CAN NOT HAPPEN AGAIN, ESPECIALLY AGAINST THE SPURS!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember running around my house with a broom-stick yelling SWEEP!!!!!! after we had that huge 20 point fourth quarter comeback in Game 2 at Houston... and was at AWA in Game 3 when we went up 18 in the first half... then, we just melted down. I can remember Game 4 so clearly... we were down 90-88 and KJ fed Charles for a perfect dunk but he went up slow as molasses and Hakeem just threw him to the ground... not with a foul... but with a block so painful, it made my heart break. It was right then and there that I knew that series was over.

Reaction score
The 93-95 playoffs were PAINFUL. '93 we could all live with, we did face the greatest NBA player of all time in the finals. but '94 and '95 we had trips to finals in the bag, and choked. I really do think the suns franchise is cursed. I think that one game winning shot Barkley had against the admiral David Robinson cursed us against the spurs from then on. hopefully we can exercise those demons this year!

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I saw the stat on TNT last night.

Suns are 3-2 all time when leading a series 2-0.

I thought, Oh, yea, Rockets, Ouch.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe that was the game where Kevin Johnson went 21 for 21 at the free throw line and then missed a crucial free throw.

yup... right before Elie's 3. That being said, I think KJ had something like 46 points and 10 dimes that night because Barkley was so banged up with his knee and pretty much useless except to rebound like a mother... i think he had like 23 boards or something like that.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you guys remember at the end of game seven when Ainge threw the inbounds pass like a baseball and hit Ellie squarely in the face and a fight almost broke out? I really believe he did that on purpose.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
I was thinking about the Rockets last night as I watched Pop talk about how his team were grown men and knew what they had to do in Game 3.

I think Game 3 is BIGGER now than ever. They are playing Dracula, you must kill him by driving a stake through his heart. The Suns have to exercise this demon from their chest and minds. Winning Game 3 will go a long way to making that possible. They must crush the Spurs Spirit. Channing and Dudley better pack their 'home games' with them on the road.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
For those that don't know.

93-94 season:
Heading into the conference semifinals, Phoenix was on a roll - a giant Kaiser-sized roll, to be exact. But starting out on the road, against the Midwest Division Champion Houston Rockets and their newly-named league MVP Hakeem Olajuwon, the Suns would have their hands full. Or so everyone thought.

Behind a 21-point, 12-rebound showing from Barkley, the Suns cruised to a 91-87 Game 1 win at the Houston Summit. A far from sold out Houston Summit, it should be noted. Game 2 would be more of the same, with the exception of a closer-to-capacity crowd, filled in by some 350-plus Suns fans who were flown into Texas by Colangelo. The small sections of purple-clad fans were in for a treat as they cheered the Suns on to another win, this time overcoming a fourth-quarter deficit of 20 points to pull out a win in OT.

The Suns appeared to be in good position heading home. There was even talk of another sweep among fans in Phoenix. But those who had watched Olajuwon throughout the season knew such sentiments were painfully premature.

The Rockets marched into America West Arena and marched right back out with victories in Games 3 and 4. Despite back-to-back 38-point outbursts from KJ, the Rockets grabbed the momentum with a wrenching grip, winning both contests by double digits.

The teams split the next two games, each winning on its home floor, setting up a climactic Game 7 in Houston.

But the injury bug reared its ugly head for the Suns once again. A painful groin injury, suffered earlier in the series, prevented Barkley from performing his usual heroics in the clutch. Not that his effort wasn't heroic enough. Sir Charles and the rest of the club left everything they had on the floor - but it was just short of enough. Olajuwon poured in 37 points and grabbed 17 boards in a 104-94 Suns loss.

After their 4-3 series win, the Rockets went on to win their first of two consecutive NBA Championships and the Suns, meanwhile, began looking ahead to '94-95.
http://www.nba.com/suns/history/9394_recap.html

94-95 season:
Just like the year before, the Suns came off an opening-round sweep to meet up with the Rockets in the Conference Semis. And just like the year before, the Suns had momentum and jumped out to a two-game lead. But the defending world champions refused to give up and won four of the last five contests despite a 46-point effort from KJ in Phoenix during Game 7.

With their hands in the air and their bodies thrust back against their seats, the hearts of the Suns' players dropped into their stomachs as they were caught unprepared for the sharp turn of Sam Cassell, the upside loop of Clyde Drexler, the big dip of Mario Ellie and the sudden, jerking halt of Hakeem Olajuwon.

The Rockets won the heartbreaker by one point and would go on to win their second-consecutive NBA Championship. Meanwhile, slowly pulling back into the station, the Suns disembarked from their '94-95 ride right where they started - with an eye toward next season.
http://www.nba.com/suns/history/94_95recap.html

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was there, too. Upper level northwestern corner of the Madhouse on McDowell. I thought it was pretty dirty, actually, and I wasn't too thrilled about it. Thought Ainge was going to get punched and I wouldn't have defended him.

Huh? The America West Arena opened in 93. How was that game in the Madhouse?

OP
OP
Gaddabout

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? The America West Arena opened in 93. How was that game in the Madhouse?

You're right. My memory's shot. I should've known better, because I was at the Rattler's game where "Snake" introduced Ainge to Phoenix on the back of his Harley.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right. My memory's shot. I should've known better, because I was at the Rattler's game where "Snake" introduced Ainge to Phoenix on the back of his Harley.

haha!!! I was at that game too!

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember going to the very first game of the Barkley era in the preseason.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Harsh memories, I recall it like it was yesterday, but I dont think this team is taking anything for granted.

Every Sun, to a man last night said "all we did was hold home court" "we know it's going to be extremely tough in SA"

Everyone knows this series is far from over but as a fan I'm still enjoying the feeling of being up 2-0 but game 3 will be the toughest game of the playoffs so far... Part of me feels like there's no way the Spurs lose game 3, but anythings possible!

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I doubt that too many people on this board need to be "reminded" of 1994 and 1995. If they were paying attention then, the experience is burned into their brains; and if they weren't, there's nothing to "remember."

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05