Remember when this used to be the cardinals!

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Chargers upset by draft pick's stance on mini-camp

Merriman objects to language of insurance policy

The San Diego Chargers used the 12th pick in the first round to draft pass-rushing linebacker Shawne Merriman to help their defense, but the team feels as though it was blindsided by his first NFL act. Merriman notified the Chargers he will not participate in the team's mini-camp and offseason program because of "language problems" in an insurance policy in case the Maryland linebacker is injured before reaching a contract agreement. This news came to the Chargers Thursday when they learned Merriman fired his agent, Gary Wichard, and hired Kevin and Carl Poston.

link

Thank GOD the Cards got with the program! :thumbup:

Kolo

Reaction score
clif said:
Chargers upset by draft pick's stance on mini-camp

Merriman objects to language of insurance policy

The San Diego Chargers used the 12th pick in the first round to draft pass-rushing linebacker Shawne Merriman to help their defense, but the team feels as though it was blindsided by his first NFL act. Merriman notified the Chargers he will not participate in the team's mini-camp and offseason program because of "language problems" in an insurance policy in case the Maryland linebacker is injured before reaching a contract agreement. This news came to the Chargers Thursday when they learned Merriman fired his agent, Gary Wichard, and hired Kevin and Carl Poston.

link

Thank GOD the Cards got with the program! :thumbup:

After what happened to the TE in Buffalo, I don't blame him.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kolobotomy said:
After what happened to the TE in Buffalo, I don't blame him.

there's a huge difference between being the 12th pick of the first round and a 3rd round pick...
You must be registered for see images attach

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
there's a huge difference between being the 12th pick of the first round and a 3rd round pick...
You must be registered for see images attach

Yeah in terms of guaranteed money if he's hurt there is but I don't think this case is the same as what we had. When we had problems there were 2 teams in the whole NFL, us and the Bengals, who weren't giving in effect any insurance if a kid got injured in mincamp with no signed contract. The rest of the NFL did it, that's why Bryant skipped minicamp his rookie year.

IN this case San Diego IS giving him insurance, for whatever reason Merriman and the Postons don't like the way it's worded. I would assume the Postons are reeling from Winslow's situation and looking for "ironclad" protection for Merriman.

The big problem is of course he changed agents after they drafted him so they had no idea this was coming. So in our case I think we WERE to blame and ultimately had to change, it doesn't appear San Diego is doing anything wrong, the Postons are just trying to change the normal policy.

OP
OP
clif

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah in terms of guaranteed money if he's hurt there is but I don't think this case is the same as what we had. When we had problems there were 2 teams in the whole NFL, us and the Bengals, who weren't giving in effect any insurance if a kid got injured in mincamp with no signed contract. The rest of the NFL did it, that's why Bryant skipped minicamp his rookie year.

IN this case San Diego IS giving him insurance, for whatever reason Merriman and the Postons don't like the way it's worded. I would assume the Postons are reeling from Winslow's situation and looking for "ironclad" protection for Merriman.

The big problem is of course he changed agents after they drafted him so they had no idea this was coming. So in our case I think we WERE to blame and ultimately had to change, it doesn't appear San Diego is doing anything wrong, the Postons are just trying to change the normal policy.

Oh I agree. I am speaking in general about how a team is fighting with it's top pick over insurance policy. I am not saying who is right or wrong, just a comparison between now and a couple of years ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan