Report: Amare Stoudemire to re-sign with Suns

dodie53

A. O. II
Reaction score
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/kn...d:+nydnrss/blogs/knicks+(Blogs/Knicks+Knation

A report that Amar'e Stoudemire is working on a contract extension with the Phoenix Suns is more bad news for the free agency-or bust Knicks.
Stoudemire told Fanhouse.com he is working on a new deal and you have to think that should the Suns advance to the second round - a virtually certainty - that Stoudemire will return.
The problem with pursing big-time free agents is that the home town team almost always has the advantage. Manu Ginobili already re-signed with San Antonio and Marcus Camby re-upped in Portland.
If Stoudemire does return to Phoenix, there is a good chance that either Chris Bosh or Carlos Boozer will end up in Miami. It also means the chances of David Lee returning to the Knicks increases, although the sense is that Donnie Walsh doesn't want to spend more than $10 million per season on Lee.
Again, look on the bright side. LeBron still hasn't re-signed with Cleveland. Not yet.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
This would be huge if true! Getting to the 2nd round should have nothing to do with it. Should the Suns lose this series it is more about not having Lopez and the disappearing act of Frye and Dudley from deep than anything Stat has done.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I find it unbelievable that people have already inked us in to the next round. The series is tied, and the games we won Portland was without their best player! Now he's back and people still assume we will just clobber them for some reason. Guess I'm the only one who's worried. As for Stat, fine, whatever, might as well use the money on him, though I'm not that impressed with him in the playoffs thus far. Might not be his fault. I do notice the Blazers paying him especially close attention. Still, a max guy always finds a way. Just saying.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guess I'm the only one who's worried.

Say what??? There are several of us that have allowed for the possibility that we are going to have trouble here. Just because we still believe we have a chance (and perhaps still expect the Suns to win) doesn't mean we're taking Portland for granted.

BTW, go back to the "who do you want to play thread" and see who mentioned the problems we'd have against Portland. They were my pick for team I'd least like to play because they are such a match-up problem for us.

Steve

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting on the radio today this story is not true. He said that there is no imminent deal. He said the two sides still have not agreed because they can't agree on the # of years. That is a HUGE hold up because for Amare to get the MAX you have to give him the years.

The Suns are trying to get Amare to take fewer years. Amare wants the Max and plans on fielding offers from other teams should the Suns not agree. If I was Amare I would as well.

Here is the bottom line. There will be a bunch of teams willing to pay Amare the Max. So bottom line is, the Suns need to stop being delusional about getting Amare for less. They either need to make the decision to give him a max contract or resolve to the fact they are losing him. They will not get Amare at a "discount".

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Gambo is reporting on the radio today this story is not true. He said that there is no imminent deal. He said the two sides still have not agreed because they can't agree on the # of years. That is a HUGE hold up because for Amare to get the MAX you have to give him the years.

The Suns are trying to get Amare to take fewer years. Amare wants the Max and plans on fielding offers from other teams should the Suns not agree. If I was Amare I would as well.

Here is the bottom line. There will be a bunch of teams willing to pay Amare the Max. So bottom line is, the Suns need to stop being delusional about getting Amare for less. They either need to make the decision to give him a max contract or resolve to the fact they are losing him. They will not get Amare at a "discount".
So how many years does Amare want and how many are the Suns offering?

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Agreed. Re-up or stop the lowballing and let him go. Just pisses the player off anyway. Stupid businessmen.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is no doubt Amare is worth the max.

I agree, he has changed so much you can see it in his eyes. He walks away from confrontation and hard fouls and anyone who know Amare knows he doesn't back down.
It is reported that other than Grant on some days he is the first in the gym on practice days and always the first on non-practice days.
People say he is playing for contract back then and i have always disagreed. Amare is pretty ambitious when it comes to basketball, he wants the limelight as bad as Lebron and co. If this team can get a legit backup for Robin, i think he will still be able to produce and make this team a contender.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we don't keep him, start sucking and can't get competitive quickly again we might just end up being the next Seattle Sonics.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Seriously?

The dude is literally unstoppable.... WHEN HIS HEAD IS IN THE GAME. You don't pay a guy the max when you are working with that big a caveat....

Agreed. No Max and no more than 3 years on the extension. If somebody else wants to give him a max deal going for 5 years, more power to them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Seriously?

The dude is literally unstoppable.... WHEN HIS HEAD IS IN THE GAME. You don't pay a guy the max when you are working with that big a caveat....

Agreed. No Max and no more than 3 years on the extension. If somebody else wants to give him a max deal going for 5 years, more power to them.

Sorry guys but I disagree with both of you. The Amare has turned his game up to another level and has become an unstoppable force. Had he went on this monstrous rampage all season long, he would be in the MVP conversation. Even still, he was regarded as one of the best at his position before the season.

In addition to which, the market dictates what you're worth. This is a fact. Even if you truly believe hes not a max player, if someone is willing to pay him that much (even if its only one team) then that's the going rate for him. That's just the way it is in pro sports economics and if you really want to keep Amare, you're going to have to pay the man.

This goes towards you SirStefan. You and I disagreed on who the face of the franchise was a month back. You said Amare, I said Nash. Yet you only want to sign him for 3 more years and no where near the max. I would have believed that you would be willing to keep him here at all cost. Besides, a player like Amare is not going to sign anything that does not give him security until before he is 33. JMHO

Realize that you may not like it, but a player of Amare's caliber is going to get his big pay day and I would be upset if it is not from us.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Oh there is no question that Amare has stepped up his game since the all star break. I also agree with you that Market dictates how much he is worth. I am just saying that $20+ mil per year for 5 or 6 six years is too high a price for the Suns. Signing Amare to a max contracty would financially cripple the Suns for years, and it must be avoided at all cost.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Oh there is no question that Amare has stepped up his game since the all star break. I also agree with you that Market dictates how much he is worth. I am just saying that $20+ mil per year for 5 or 6 six years is too high a price for the Suns. Signing Amare to a max contracty would financially cripple the Suns for years, and it must be avoided at all cost.

No pun intended I bet ;)

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At this point I think the outlook if the Suns don't keep Amare is worse than if the give him the max.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point I think the outlook if the Suns don't keep Amare is worse than if the give him the max.

Well said. If the Suns lose Amare for nothing the Suns won't shine for many years to come anyway.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well said. If the Suns lose Amare for nothing the Suns won't shine for many years to come anyway.

We can't afford to lose Amare for nothing but we can't afford to make him the highest paid player in the game either. Surely there is something in between. Give him a 3 year max or give him the length he desires at a competitive rate. We should not have to exceed the market.

Steve

ActingWild

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
For a guy that was getting backinto shape after a career threatening injury, I think Amare has proven dominant enough for a max deal. We cannot affod to lose Amare IMHO.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can't afford to lose Amare for nothing but we can't afford to make him the highest paid player in the game either. Surely there is something in between. Give him a 3 year max or give him the length he desires at a competitive rate. We should not have to exceed the market.

Steve

If Amare would sign a cheaper contract for more years I would go that direction. The reason being, I'm already calculating another surgery into the equation. For example, if Amare signed a five year competitive contract, the Suns would likely have use of his services for 4 out of the 5 years. I think a 4 year contract is a more likely compromise.

I also wouldn't rule out the Suns signing Amare to a new contract and then trading him to a team of his choice.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also wouldn't rule out the Suns signing Amare to a new contract and then trading him to a team of his choice.

It's been years since I paid any attention to the CBA but isn't this still a difficult proposition, at least in the first year? Unless you're referring to a sign and trade where we'd have very little power. Still, that would be preferable to having him walk for nothing.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If we don't keep him, start sucking and can't get competitive quickly again we might just end up being the next Seattle Sonics.
Yeah because that would suck to have a young roster full of talent currently giving the LAKERS all they can handle in the 1st rd playoff. I understand your geographical allusion but the SUNS aren't going to relocate anytime soon Slin...

On topic: If Nash got an extension at age 36 then Amare has more than earned one as well IMO. I'm all in favor of keeping younger players on the roster,especially a career 21ppg/9rpg/55%FG big man such as Amare.

Quite frankly i'll be sick if we lose Amare and Nash lingers here for the next 2 yrs @ $22mill against the cap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
On topic: If Nash got an extension at age 36 then Amare has more than earned one as well IMO.

Sure, but for double the average salary? Because that's what a maximum extension for Stoudemire would be: twice what Nash is making.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05