Report: Amare Stoudemire to re-sign with Suns

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There has not been a bigger critic on this board concerning Amare's defense then me or his inconsistent rebounding. Having said that Amare might have turned that corner in his overall game. However, I have the same concerns as everyone else....is he playing for a contract, will his health hold up.....etc....

However, if I have to chose between losing Amare for nothing via free agency, versus Amare signing a max and the risks that come with it.....give me the risks and sign him.

The way I look at it is this. Amare isn't perfect. He will probably never be everything I want him to be (although lately he has). However, getting a legit big man in the NBA is VERY VERY VERY difficult. Especially, ones that can score 20+ per night.

It would be one thing if there was a high probability of replacing Amare with a legit big. It just won't happen. So that means that the team is better with Amare then some scrub. I have almost ZERO confidence the Suns could replace Amare via free agency or the draft any time soon.

The x-factor is still the sign and trade option. It's still a possibility if Amare wants the Max and the Suns are unwilling to pay. However, I still don't like that option because we know we won't get equal value and the Suns would probably cut those players to clear cap space.

There really is no scenario to me where losing Amare is better for the Suns unless they can get equal value with his loss. Anybody honestly think that will happen?

Last edited:

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
How does everyone think Amare would perform without Nash? I'm not sure he would blossom. I see the Blazers loading up against Amare and him having no answers for it. That's what he would face every game without Nash. I fear Amare's numbers may be swollen from the Nash effect. What happens when Nash retires and we have Amare's rather robust contract still? Just a fear of mine though. He could also end up being the man. Personally, I say keep him. He's better than anything else we could throw our money at. I'm just curious what other people think about this.

Or.... what if Amare had a PG alongside him who can consistently bring energy and offense. You know, what Nash used to be able to bring...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
resign amare for max.

trade for chris paul.

we will rule the nba for yeeeeaaars!!!

i always wondered how typing one of these insane posts would feel . . .

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't kid yourselves a big part of Amare scoring is where and how NASH gets him the ball otherwise he usually makes some ******** turnovers when he trys to dribble drive! That being said you have to sign him if the other option is losing him for nothing.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's been years since I paid any attention to the CBA but isn't this still a difficult proposition, at least in the first year? Unless you're referring to a sign and trade where we'd have very little power. Still, that would be preferable to having him walk for nothing.

Steve

I was just talking about the possibility where the Suns sign Amare and then trade him to a team of his choice that will pay him top dollar and the Suns get some talent/ pick(s) in return. It seems right now the Suns best option is to extend Amare if an agreement can be reached.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
However, I have the same concerns as everyone else....is he playing for a contract, will his health hold up.....etc....

I've been a proponent for re-signing him for some time now. My only concern is health. I have no concern at all about the playing for a contract issue. I just don't buy it. He has worked too hard to rehab time and again for me to believe that money alone drives him. He wants to be perceived as among the best and I have no doubt he'll continue to work towards it.

Despite what some suggest, he's not stupid but his lack of role models and inconsistent coaching have hampered his development as a player (and perhaps somewhat as a person also). He's still a heck of a player though and pretty much irreplaceable for this franchise.

Steve

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was just talking about the possibility where the Suns sign Amare and then trade him to a team of his choice that will pay him top dollar and the Suns get some talent/ pick(s) in return. It seems right now the Suns best option is to extend Amare if an agreement can be reached.

Yeah, we wouldn't get equal value in a sign and trade but as a matter of last recourse it beats just letting him walk.

Steve

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I dunno. What did Amare average with Stephon Mybally? 13 his rookie season, 20 in the second.

Yes, but this was before the surgeries. Does Amare lacks the explosiveness and elevation he possessed then which would reduce his ability to score consistently without being set up so sweetly.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
If Amare bolts, I hope the Suns make a strong push for Chris Bosh .. He works harder to get rebounds and scores a ton of points (even hits threes). Him and Rolo would clean glass better than Windex. I personally like Bosh better than Amare and if anyone should get a max , Bosh definitely deserves it more. The guy is a hard working PF who has inside and outside game (ideal for the Suns). I don't think the Suns would miss a beat if we got Bosh.

My 3rd pick is David Lee who we might get for a cheaper deal.

At the end of free agency, one of these 3 guys should be in Phoenix or else we will have a rough going next year as teams will just stay on the wings and guard our perimeter players all day long.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Amare bolts, I hope the Suns make a strong push for Chris Bosh .. He works harder to get rebounds and scores a ton of points (even hits threes). Him and Rolo would clean glass better than Windex. I personally like Bosh better than Amare and if anyone should get a max , Bosh definitely deserves it more. The guy is a hard working PF who has inside and outside game (ideal for the Suns). I don't think the Suns would miss a beat if we got Bosh.

My 3rd pick is David Lee who we might get for a cheaper deal.

At the end of free agency, one of these 3 guys should be in Phoenix or else we will have a rough going next year as teams will just stay on the wings and guard our perimeter players all day long.

I disagree on the Bosh vs Amare comparison but even still, I highly doubt he would come to Phoenix. He wants out of Toronto because he's tired of watching everyone else play in the postseason. From an outsider's point of view why would this kind of person choose a team that is minus it's all league forward and it's superstar point guard appears to be one hit away from the wheelchair basketball league?

David Lee would be a nice addition for 7 or 8 mil a year but I suspect he'll get close to twice that. He's at best a number 3 guy IMO and whoever pays him like a star will be looking to move his contract in a year or two.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I think Nash can have productive seasons ahead of him. He lead the league in assists and still had his usual MVP numbers and most of the people have been saying that Nash will be done for 3 years now. With Dragic , Nash can get ample amount of rest.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, but this was before the surgeries. Does Amare lacks the explosiveness and elevation he possessed then which would reduce his ability to score consistently without being set up so sweetly.

He looks very explosive to me. I think he's playing smarter these days and not trying to dunk every single ball over double- and triple-teams.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Amare doesn't have his former explosiveness still, but what he currently does have is still better than any other powerforward in the league.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Intelligence- Bosh
Rebounding- Bosh
Post up moves - Bosh
Three point shooting - Bosh
Athletic ability - Amare
Passing- Bosh
Blocking ability- Even
Staying out of Foul Trouble- Bosh
Free Throw shooting - Bosh
FG shooting - Amare
Injury threat- Amare
Age- Bosh (younger)

I like Amare but Bosh is better. And Bosh plays with garbage. When teams come to play the Raptors, they don't need to strategize much. Lock down Bosh and let the other guys like the overrated Turkoglu shoot shoot shoot. Imagine Bosh on a team that has better players around him like Nash, JRich, Lopez. He'd be a lot better than Amare.

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I don't know man, to me Amare and Bosh are about the same really. If you're gonna pay Bosh $20 M/per, just keep Amare.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know man, to me Amare and Bosh are about the same really. If you're gonna pay Bosh $20 M/per, just keep Amare.

Can't pay Bosh $20M I don't believe. Suns can't come near what other teams can pay.

I guess the only two real options are:

- Pay Amare the max
- Break the entire team up and start trading for draft picks

There's no interim solution.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Can't pay Bosh $20M I don't believe. Suns can't come near what other teams can pay.

I guess the only two real options are:

- Pay Amare the max
- Break the entire team up and start trading for draft picks

There's no interim solution.

Actually with the cap numbers as they are they could offer Bosh the max he can get from other teams if Amare , Frye and Hill opt out.

Of course despite jagu's silly useless comparison Bosh isn't as good as Amare when healthy. He is one of the softest players in the league, doesn't play a lick of defense, misses 20 games per season and is one of the biggest chokers currently in the league.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
I sort of hope they keep the team together for another year. Don't know how much Amaré (and Frye) will demand though. Amundson should be rewarded with a 3-4 year contract I think. Take a chance on a second rounder with potential and let him have time to develop in practice. I'm fine with the current team and our two 35 years plus veterans. Dragic, Dudley, Lopez and Clark will get even better next year so Hill and Nash will get more rest even though they'll probably still start.

I think Amaré is better than Bosh but I'm a homer and I haven't seen Bosh play that much. He seems softer than Amaré though even though he might play harder.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Actually with the cap numbers as they are they could offer Bosh the max he can get from other teams if Amare , Frye and Hill opt out.

Of course despite jagu's silly useless comparison Bosh isn't as good as Amare when healthy. He is one of the softest players in the league, doesn't play a lick of defense, misses 20 games per season and is one of the biggest chokers currently in the league.

I don't think its that silly, Bosh has better numbers that Amare this season. What's so silly about it? And what has Amare done that makes him a non-choker? What exactly has Bosh choked on? The guy's team sucks yearly. I actually prefer Amare and I said Bosh would be my option if Amare walks. I definitely would feel safer investing in Bosh than Amare and his knees. Your as usual an Amare homer and I don't think I said anything here that's silly and useless so save it.

I watched a lot of games with Bosh and I don't see the softness that you claim. If he is soft he would not be grabbing 10 boards a game. And as for softness, I can name you a lot of games where Amare would just stand around and not even box out his man for a rebound. I'm not saying Amare is bad. He has immense talent and if he played smarter he'd be a lot better player.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I don't think its that silly, Bosh has better numbers that Amare this season. What's so silly about it? And what has Amare done that makes him a non-choker? What exactly has Bosh choked on? The guy's team sucks yearly. I actually prefer Amare and I said Bosh would be my option if Amare walks. I definitely would feel safer investing in Bosh than Amare and his knees. Your as usual an Amare homer and I don't think I said anything here that's silly and useless so save it.

I watched a lot of games with Bosh and I don't see the softness that you claim. If he is soft he would not be grabbing 10 boards a game. And as for softness, I can name you a lot of games where Amare would just stand around and not even box out his man for a rebound. I'm not saying Amare is bad. He has immense talent and if he played smarter he'd be a lot better player.

Amare -> One of the best career playoff averages of all time.
Bosh -> Shawn Marionesque dropoff in the playoffs, 2 years ago shut down by Jason Collins.

If Bosh was all that what you claim him to be he wouldn't miss the playoff 2 straight years in the East. Oh and he choked in the 2nd half of the season too when it mattered.

Barely averaged 9rpg post allstar game, FG% dropped by 3% to under 50.

Bosh isn't a better FT shooter either, they are about the same % every year.

2nd half of the season
Bosh:
23ppg 9rpg 2.6apg 2.6topg 0.6spg 0.8bpg 49.7%FG 35.3mpg
Amare:
26.6ppg 10rpg 1apg 2.3topg 0.5spg 1.1bpg 56%FG 34.1mpg

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Amare -> One of the best career playoff averages of all time.
Bosh -> Shawn Marionesque dropoff in the playoffs, 2 years ago shut down by Jason Collins.

If Bosh was all that what you claim him to be he wouldn't miss the playoff 2 straight years in the East. Oh and he choked in the 2nd half of the season too when it mattered.

Barely averaged 9rpg post allstar game, FG% dropped by 3% to under 50.

Bosh isn't a better FT shooter either, they are about the same % every year.

2nd half of the season
Bosh:
23ppg 9rpg 2.6apg 2.6topg 0.6spg 0.8bpg 49.7%FG 35.3mpg
Amare:
26.6ppg 10rpg 1apg 2.3topg 0.5spg 1.1bpg 56%FG 34.1mpg

Amare had great playoff runs in 04-05, and 06-07. Don't forget he had players who ran with him to make his job that much more efficient.

2006-2007 playoffs: age 22 Bosh and his starting 5 was garbage and he still had 17.5 PPG, 9 RPG and 2.5APG.

In 2007-2008 playoffs, in 5 games he had 24 PPG, 9RPG, and 3.6 APG. Age 23. So this BS that your throwing out there that he was a choke job. 2 years ago this is what Jaron Collins shut down Bosh to? You lost all credibility with such a statement. If you spent a few minutes to actually look that up it would have been a lot easier than posting your well thought out posts.

How about this year?

PG - Jose Calderon
SG - DeMar Derozan
SF - Hedo Turkoglu
PF - Chris Bosh
C - Andrea Bargnani

FT shooting, Amare career playoff FT percentage .747. Bosh .838.

Career FT percentage
Amare is at .758 and Bosh is .796. Amare had 1 year in his career where he had a higher FT percentage than Bosh.

There's no doubt Bosh would be a really good player on the Suns. He runs, shoots, passes and he'd fit right in. Very good job comparing half a season, where's the first half? Why not just cut the stats down to a few games where Amare played well and Bosh sucked, it would make it easier for you.

I'm done with the Bosh/Amare debate and I suggest you look up information rather than posting with your fogged up Amare goggles on.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Look how you are leaving out the fact that he is shooting 43% in the playoffs.

Instead of looking who Bosh played with maybe look at who he played against. Jason Collins.

Where is the first half of the season? Yeah Bosh was better for the first time in his career but I don't recall him coming back from a serious injury either.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem with Bosh. He is one of those steady type performers who you always know what your getting night in and night out. Bosh is not the type of player that can suddenly take over a game. I have watched a bunch of games with Bosh in action, not once I have ever said...wow that guy is unstoppable.

Amare gets that way.....Bosh....not so much. Bosh is more consistent for sure but I would never go into a game with the confidence Bosh can take it home for you. NBA is a game of runs and I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting a game in the hands of Bosh during a close game.

Would I take Bosh should Amare leave? Hell yes because I know what I am getting in him night in and night out and he is a good big man.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05