Report: Amare Stoudemire to re-sign with Suns

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Seriously?

The dude is literally unstoppable.... WHEN HIS HEAD IS IN THE GAME. You don't pay a guy the max when you are working with that big a caveat....

He will be paid the max by someone. He is a franchise player. You don't let those go.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Sure, but for double the average salary? Because that's what a maximum extension for Stoudemire would be: twice what Nash is making.
Absolutely. I've gone on record as saying that extending Nash was a mistake(i realize that i'm nearly alone in my stance but thats ok).
I will officially go on the record as saying that letting Amare go now would be equally as short-sighted.

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. I've gone on record as saying that extending Nash was a mistake(i realize that i'm nearly alone in my stance but thats ok). I will officially go on the record as saying that letting Amare go now would be equally as short-sighted.

Okay, I know you're just making a point but take a minute here and I think you'll realize you probably don't really feel that way. BTW, don't you just love it when a stranger tells you how you really feel? I think someone could reasonably argue either side of the Nash extension but losing Amare for nothing is clearly going to hurt us much more than either extending Nash or failing to do so, JMNSHO.

Steve

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe, LeBron, Dwight Howard, and Kevin Durant all deserve max deals.

Amare's in the next class, IMO, but I don't know what that number is. He doesn't change the game like the four above. He doesn't impose his will like they do.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Okay, I know you're just making a point but take a minute here and I think you'll realize you probably don't really feel that way. BTW, don't you just love it when a stranger tells you how you really feel? I think someone could reasonably argue either side of the Nash extension but losing Amare for nothing is clearly going to hurt us much more than either extending Nash or failing to do so, JMNSHO.

Steve
No, i really do feel that way.
Anyone here can vouch for that. I've been in a few cyber cage fights over the subject of Nash and his current stranglehold of this franchise. :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, i really do feel that way.
Anyone here can vouch for that. I've been in a few cyber cage fights over the subject of Nash and his current stranglehold of this franchise. :)

Oh I know how you feel about the Nash signing. My point is that it's difficult to justify hating them equally. We extended Nash for 3 years at a very reasonable rate. He's clearly had value this season and will likely continue to have value for most of the extension period although clearly not to the degree you'd like. And I understand that having Nash forces us to go in a different direction than you'd like. But, losing Amare for nothing will likely haunt this franchise to a greater extent and for a longer period.

To put it another way: extending Nash brought both positives and negatives to this club. Losing Amare for nothing brings nothing but negatives, IMO.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe, LeBron, Dwight Howard, and Kevin Durant all deserve max deals.

Amare's in the next class, IMO, but I don't know what that number is. He doesn't change the game like the four above. He doesn't impose his will like they do.

agreed... but unfortunately, the teams with cap room won't.

He's worth what the market will bear but we can't let him get to the market or he's gone. Just lock him up... 4 year extension, MAX it out and by the time it's done, he will be as well.

otherwise, we're looking at Nash pounding the ball into oblivion for the next couple years while we suck more ass than a TJ hooker.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Do people realize what "Giving Amare a max deal" actually means?
It will financially cripple this team for YEARS.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

No it won't. It'll be 3 or 4 million more than he's already making and this team has so many kids on rookie contracts that by the time they're up for bigger ones, Nash and Hill will be gone so there will be money to go around.

Bottom line - most teams need TWO guys who are making MAX or near MAX if they're gonna win title. Amare is the one of those two guys. Once Nash retires, it'll be up to the team to find out who the other is.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
No it won't. It'll be 3 or 4 million more than he's already making and this team has so many kids on rookie contracts that by the time they're up for bigger ones, Nash and Hill will be gone so there will be money to go around.

Bottom line - most teams need TWO guys who are making MAX or near MAX if they're gonna win title. Amare is the one of those two guys. Once Nash retires, it'll be up to the team to find out who the other is.

Exactly, and we'll have even more motivation to re-sign him, bc it's not like we'll be able to go out and sign another max level player if he leaves. There are definitely risks involved with re-signing Amare, but it's also too risky to let him leave.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'd rather the team be financially crippled than just plain crippled.
You must be registered for see images

I can see it now:
SUNS,Nash retool in '2011 by securing David Lee.Grant Hill returns,..........

Last edited:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I'd rather the team be financially crippled than just plain crippled.

I can see it now:

I am sure Amare's knee will leave the team crippled as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:thumbup:

Exactly. Don't forget, this coming year is year 5 since his surgery. That's the expected time between necessary follow up repairs. Pay Amare the max at the team's peril....

someone remind me again when Jason Kidd had his micro-fracture knee re-mirco'd? Oh yeah... he hasn't and he had his before Amare... and is still playing good basketball ten years Amare's elder. You guys are thinking in the past. Amare's not T-Mac.

You don't give up your superstar JUST when he finally becomes one and enters his prime. Especially when you're one of the top teams in the league... which we are and we could continue to be next year with expected improvement from our young guys.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
someone remind me again when Jason Kidd had his micro-fracture knee re-mirco'd? Oh yeah... he hasn't and he had his before Amare... and is still playing good basketball ten years Amare's elder. You guys are thinking in the past. Amare's not T-Mac.

You don't give up your superstar JUST when he finally becomes one and enters his prime. Especially when you're one of the top teams in the league... which we are and we could continue to be next year with expected improvement from our young guys.

:stupid:

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We are playing poker with a guy holding 10 cards to our 5. This is some of the stupidest crap ever.

You give Amare the Max. For as many years as you can.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I can see it now:

I can see a much worse scenario than that...

Suns lose Amare for nothing...
Suns try to compete but slip into mediocrity with a still relatively high payroll..
Unstable fanbase at the moment, dislike for Sarver, Stern, Refs etc...
Attendance plummets...
Suns lose money...
Suns re-locate to San Diego...

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hes closer to tmac injury wise than he is jason kidd.

Based on what? I thought the medical staff said it was an almost minor version of a microfracture or something to that extent. Now, granted, he does need his athleticism more like TMac than JK.

Steve

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
How does everyone think Amare would perform without Nash? I'm not sure he would blossom. I see the Blazers loading up against Amare and him having no answers for it. That's what he would face every game without Nash. I fear Amare's numbers may be swollen from the Nash effect. What happens when Nash retires and we have Amare's rather robust contract still? Just a fear of mine though. He could also end up being the man. Personally, I say keep him. He's better than anything else we could throw our money at. I'm just curious what other people think about this.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does everyone think Amare would perform without Nash? I'm not sure he would blossom. I see the Blazers loading up against Amare and him having no answers for it. That's what he would face every game without Nash. I fear Amare's numbers may be swollen from the Nash effect. What happens when Nash retires and we have Amare's rather robust contract still? Just a fear of mine though. He could also end up being the man. Personally, I say keep him. He's better than anything else we could throw our money at. I'm just curious what other people think about this.

I dunno. What did Amare average with Stephon Mybally? 13 his rookie season, 20 in the second.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05