Report: Cardinals unlikely to sign Calais Campbell or Tony Jefferson

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Report: Cardinals unlikely to sign Calais Campbell or Tony Jefferson

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that word around the Scouting Combine this week is that the Cardinals will lose both defensive end Calais Campbell and safety Tony Jefferson as free agents. Per Somers, the players — who rank 10th and 14th on PFT’s list of the top 100 free agents — are “going to command more money” than the Cardinals will be willing or able to pay them to remain in Arizona.

Campbell’s departure would leave the Cardinals without a player that has been a fixture in the Arizona lineup since coming to the team as a second-round pick in 2008. Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver reported this week that the Broncos are expected to make a run at signing Campbell.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I think they can cover the Jefferson departure however they better hope the young guys on the Dline are ready or there will be a sizeable hole there.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If this does happen our FO better make sure not to sign too many UFA, so we qualify for the comp picks next year!

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
No surprise here.

Personally I am not worried about it. Campbell won't be replaced by one player, and I am fine with Swearinger being signed instead of Jefferson. Tony Jefferson is a good player, he is not Eric Berry tho. I would actually be upset if the Cardinals signed Jefferson to the deal he is going to get elsewhere.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I do hope we sign back at least one of our safeties (Jefferson or Swearinger) just for the continuity. It's crazy how a couple of years ago our secondary was touted as one of the best in football and now we have let over half of those pieces walk. It's amazing how teams like Seattle have managed to keep their secondary (and defense in general) in tact over time. It seems like Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor have been there forever.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Jurecki mentioned last night ARZ offering 3 years $33M, $17M guaranteed but CC has numerous suitors. He also mentioned TJ would have been a bargain last year when he was looking for 4/16M, he will get at least double that this year. ARZ should have really pushed harder on a CC deal last year instead of paying him $15M if they really wanted to keep him. A guy that piques my interest in Round 2 is DeMarcus Walker out of FSU. Great production last couple of years and already has 3-4 experience. Not sure if ARZ can afford a FA CB but Bruce Cooper mentioned Stephon Gilmore as a possibility. I would target a CB in Round 1 but if Lattimore is gone then maybe look at Conley or Jones.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Jurecki mentioned last night ARZ offering 3 years $33M, $17M guaranteed but CC has numerous suitors. He also mentioned TJ would have been a bargain last year when he was looking for 4/16M, he will get at least double that this year. ARZ should have really pushed harder on a CC deal last year instead of paying him $15M if they really wanted to keep him. A guy that piques my interest in Round 2 is DeMarcus Walker out of FSU. Great production last couple of years and already has 3-4 experience. Not sure if ARZ can afford a FA CB but Bruce Cooper mentioned Stephon Gilmore as a possibility. I would target a CB in Round 1 but if Lattimore is gone then maybe look at Conley or Jones.
If they can afford 33m, 17g to CC then they can afford a FA CB.

Ohcrap75

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, let's replace them with crap, to get an extra day 3 pick next year.

Logical and sound.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Who said crap?!! It's about how many UFA you sign compared to how many sign with other teams. We can sign top Free Agents, just not more than we let go. We can also replace them with draft picks, trade or players that have been cut.

NO team better utilizes this strategy better than the Patriots. Unless you don't think they are LOGICAL AND SOUND???

Damn dude, maybe you should educated yourself before you go throwing shade Bro!!

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If that's the offer for CC, it's fair (imo) and slightly more than Bennett in Seattle.

And, they didn't pay CC $15m in 2016. That was his CAP hit. He received $9.5m.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
It's amazing how teams like Seattle have managed to keep their secondary (and defense in general) in tact over time. It seems like Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor have been there forever.

Russell Wilson being on his rookie contract helped. Its coming to a head next offseason for the Seahawks, Chancellor is in a contact year this season, and Earl Thomas has 2 years left on his deal, Wilson will be on the books for 20 million, and Sherman for 13 million.

Not to mention if the Seahawks want to sniff the Superbowl again they will need to upgrade their offensive line.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's amazing how teams like Seattle have managed to keep their secondary (and defense in general) in tact over time. It seems like Sherman, Thomas and Chancellor have been there forever.

The 2016 Seahawks let Bruce Irvin and Brandon Mebane sign elsewhere. The year before they let Byron Maxwell and Malcom Smith walk. In 2014 they let Brandon Browner and Walter Thurmond sign elsewhere.

However they targeted a core set of young defenders who they signed long term as you pointed out. I agree that it is important to keep that young core together.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Who said crap?!! It's about how many UFA you sign compared to how many sign with other teams. We can sign top Free Agents, just not more than we let go. We can also replace them with draft picks, trade or players that have been cut.

NO team better utilizes this strategy better than the Patriots. Unless you don't think they are LOGICAL AND SOUND???

Damn dude, maybe you should educated yourself before you go throwing shade Bro!!

Well said, sir.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
We've all seen the writing has been on the wall since the season ended.

Personally, I think losing #93 will be a huge blow to this defense especially in the run game.

I agree with you Bucky, if anything the run defense will take a hit without CC in there.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gotta think like the Patriots. Would they pay a fortune for average to above average aged talent, or let them go and restock with up and comers on their rookie deals?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05