ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Arizona Republic

D'Antoni expects winning record in final 27 games
advertisement

Paul Coro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 13, 2004 12:00 AM

The Suns' magic number is 14. It's not the sum of Phoenix losses and Denver wins needed to officially eliminate the Suns' playoff chances, although it's not far off.

It is the minimum number of wins coach Mike D'Antoni challenged his team to get after the All-Star break, which starts with Phoenix wallowing in a five-game losing streak and carrying the NBA's fourth-worst record (18-37).

"I told the guys (Wednesday night), 'We have 27 games left and we're going to come out on the positive side of those 27,' " D'Antoni said. "That's our goal and we're going to do it."

The problem is that the Suns just dropped five games to four losing Western Conference teams and a Toronto club that would be out of the playoffs in the West. When the Suns return to action Tuesday, they play at Midwest Division leader Minnesota and play three of the next four against playoff teams before finishing the month at Pacific Division leader Sacramento.

The tone of the current 2-11 stretch was easier to define when the Suns' effort was unquestioned and the games went to the wire. But after losing a 14-point lead Tuesday against Toronto and getting down by 20 in the first quarter Wednesday at Golden State, D'Antoni's young team is testing his patience.

"It's not about me," D'Antoni said. "It's about these kids and developing them and understanding what they need to do. How are they ever going to learn what they're supposed to be? So we're letting them go and play and find their identity.

"I do believe we need to finish the season on a positive note, though."

By the time Phoenix reconvenes for practice Monday, it may be a deeper, fresher team.

Shawn Marion (flu) and Leandro Barbosa (sore knee) should feel better, and Antonio McDyess could play soon.

Amare Stoudemire, having missed 27 of the Suns' first 50 games, has led the team in scoring in the past three games (25.3 points per game).

D'Antoni said the final stretch is crucial for Stoudemire, particularly on defense.

"It's important for him in the last third of the season to expand his game and dominate the low post," D'Antoni said.

Phoenix could use anything to key a run. The Suns' fewest wins in a season since their inaugural campaign (16 in 1968-69) was 28 in 1987-88.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
"I told the guys (Wednesday night), 'We have 27 games left and we're going to come out on the positive side of those 27,' " D'Antoni said. "That's our goal and we're going to do it."

LOL. Add a primal scream, and he could sound just like Howard Dean.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hopefully not, I want that draft pick to be as high as possible.

Winning 14 of the last 27 games is not changing anything about this season.
I would rather see the young guys getting opportunities rather than trying to win at all costs.

Look at Denver last season. They gave their young guys a chance and all they did was trying to install a defense for next season already as well as an attitude.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
D'Antoni is a dreamer. Our schedule is brutal for the next month and a half.

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by creed
D'Antoni is a dreamer. Our schedule is brutal for the next month and a half.

The technical term is "fat chance". :D

In the other article he was pretty explicit about playing younger players. It is hard to win with three rookies on the floor.

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin

Look at Denver last season. They gave their young guys a chance and all they did was trying to install a defense for next season already as well as an attitude.

I disagree.
They did play hard and tried to win every game last season which helps them a lot this season when they are not "talentless" anymore.

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
But what did you expect him to say? I will be amazed if the suns hit that mark. However, I would be pissed if the coach says he doesn't care about winning, he just wants to develope the players.

IMO, the coach is always supposed to try and win at all costs. Leave it to the management to push for younger players getting time. If a coach gives up on the season, go ahead and fire him because he will never get the attention of his team again.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Bzdelik specifically said on the Suns pregame show that they knew they couldn't win last season and all they tried to do was play tough defense and install an attitude to work hard.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by thegrahamcrackr
But what did you expect him to say?

Well I dont expect him to make stupid predictions thats for sure.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Marge Simpson said in one episode something like this

"My mother told me that if you can't say anything positive about someone, don't say anything".

:thumbup:

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score

Wel Frank Johnson guaranteed that the suns would win games 6 and 7 of the playoffs last season, no one mocked him for making a relatively ridiculous promise.

All I am saying is the coach is supposed to do things like this. They cannot ever give up......

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score

What is wrong with the coach expecting a high standard?

Maybe he should just come out and say it is ok for them to lose because they are not going anywhere anyway?

If the Suns can just limit second shots (offensive rebounds) they could win at least half their games.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz

Maybe he should just come out and say it is ok for them to lose because they are not going anywhere anyway?

If the Suns can just limit second shots (offensive rebounds) they could win at least half their games.

It's actually much simpler than that. The Phoenix Suns just need to score more points than their opponents. They will win a bunch of games if they can just do that. Score a bunch of points and keep your opponents from scoring. That's the secret formula. :)

Joe Mama

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And of course, prevent the other team from scoring more points. There's gotta be a textbook for that. Or maybe a class at Scottsdale Community College.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by SirChaz

At this point and time it just seems lame. Sometimes it's cool when they predict things but in the context of our current situation its just plain laughable. We have the youngest team in the NBA...a new coach...one of the toughest upcoming schedules in the NBA...guys recovering from injuries...yadda yadda yadda...I mean what is D'Antoni thinking?! Hey anything is possible but sometimes its best not to verbalize it...makes one look foolish. D' should predict a game here and there and work his way up! HA!

Last edited:

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Originally posted by slinslin
Bzdelik specifically said on the Suns pregame show that they knew they couldn't win last season and all they tried to do was play tough defense and install an attitude to work hard.

I have no problem with that as the 2 main targets of this season for the Suns.

cly2tw

Reaction score
The most important part there is that he wanted Amare to improve his defense. In the Rookie challenge game, Bosh drove by him on three consequetive occasions when they still played defense middle in the second half.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by cly2tw
The most important part there is that he wanted Amare to improve his defense. In the Rookie challenge game, Bosh drove by him on three consequetive occasions when they still played defense middle in the second half.

I definitely agree that Amare Stoudemire needs to improve his defense, but using ANY part of that rookie game as an example is pretty absurd. They never played defense with any amount of effort in that game.

Joe Mama

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
I was just checking our schedule again and I find D'Antoni's preciction as down right insanity. I find maybe a half dozen games that look winnable but most others look like real fights.

I'd be shocked if we dont get a top three lottery pick out of this season

OP
OP
George O'Brien

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was just checking our schedule again and I find D'Antoni's preciction as down right insanity. I find maybe a half dozen games that look winnable but most others look like real fights.

I'd be shocked if we dont get a top three lottery pick out of this season

It's not impossible, just really really improbable.

Last season the Suns came on really strong a the end of the season to beat out Houston. I can imagine a scenerio where Cabakapa gets totally healthy, Dice becomes productive, Barbosa matures quickly, and Marion starts shooting better...

Would I bet on it? Nah.

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
I never said its impossible...just insane

D'antoni you're INSANE

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
I don't see why there's anything wrong with this.

D'Antoni is setting a goal for the team--you've got to have goals, right?

I don't think they're going to get there either (although they will have more time to prepare for these games than their opponents will), but in any case, the team won't be mathematically 'eliminated' until there are just a few games left in the season.

Basically, I see this statement meaning: "For the next 20 games or so, the Suns are going to try to win."