Richard Marshall

Black T

Reaction score
Decided

Was willing to give the guy a shot at the urgence of a fellow Cards fan, but this dude s-s-s-sucks.

DRC couldnt tackle a mailbox, but at least he was pretty good at swatting the ball down before it got to the receiver.

Marshall allows the WR to catch it, and then hes pretty good at tackling. I HATE that.

Naw, im decided, Richard Marshall is the worst CB on the Cardinals. Mike Adams just got bailed out.

On the subject, it sucks that A.J. Jefferson is turning out to be one of better corners. shows how much depth we have. None. Peterson isnt gonna blow up till next year and Toler is serviceable. I foresee a Texans like pass defense this year :(

MoeIsBetter

SPA Co-Commishioner
Reaction score
I think you're hating a little early on Marshall lol. I'm not even sure some of the balls caught around him are his fault. Two plays I'm talking about the safety (Rashad Johnson) has been playing over the top with Marshall playing under. If the ball goes over Mashalls head then the blame falls on the safety behind him to make the play incomplete. On others you've seen, I'd love some clarity on the play you're talking about.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
On the subject, it sucks that A.J. Jefferson is turning out to be one of better corners. shows how much depth we have. None. Peterson isnt gonna blow up till next year and Toler is serviceable. I foresee a Texans like pass defense this year :(

So far, Jefferson has looked very good. He's fast, has good size, and makes plays on the ball.

I'd rather the coaching staff threw out the best player even if you have a high draft pick waiting in the wings.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Im comfortable about our CB depth. Jefferson is playing like a veteran, Toler is solid, Adams is a good #4 and Peterson will come into his own and be the shut down guy we expect. Peterson did allow a TD in the last game, but he had good coverage on the play. It was a perfect pass from a pro bowl QB to a pro bowl wideout. Hard for anyone to defend that.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Andre Roberts was a bum last preseason too. Marshall will be fine in time.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I think something is coming very soon for Mr. Jefferson...he is finally going to get an interception. I don't think the dude has every had one in college or the pros, coming on late to play college ball. I expect he keeps the ball and frames it gold LOL

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I respect you right to your opinion, but like most of the other posters, I believe that it is still too early to pass judgement on any defensive player. Given all the turmoil of this off-season, Ray Horton is behind schedule in trying to field a defense. The neat thing is, that he appears to be trying to find the very best fit for each of his defensive players, and is (so far) making decent progress. His players have successfully defended both the Raiders and the Packers so far in pre-season. You might want to just to give Marshall a little time to adjust to his new defensive scheme.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The NFL is no longer about "2 CB's and it's all taken care of."

Nowadays, you want to have 4 or 5 guys who can fit various roles depending on matchups and game situations.

I think the Cardinal coaches are trying to sort out "which guys are good at what." It's become pretty obvious that Marshall is not at his best in tight man-coverage, but that's not his strength anyway. He may be at his best playing zone and being a reliable tackler one-on-one in space.

We need AJ. We need Toler. We need PP21. We need Marshall and we need Mike Adams - to fill these various roles (including conceivably 4 corners on the field all at one time).

Before killing Marshall, first let's see how well he does once the coaches start game planning and playing guys where they best belong.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
The NFL is no longer about "2 CB's and it's all taken care of."

Nowadays, you want to have 4 or 5 guys who can fit various roles depending on matchups and game situations.

I think the Cardinal coaches are trying to sort out "which guys are good at what." It's become pretty obvious that Marshall is not at his best in tight man-coverage, but that's not his strength anyway. He may be at his best playing zone and being a reliable tackler one-on-one in space.

We need AJ. We need Toler. We need PP21. We need Marshall and we need Mike Adams - to fill these various roles (including conceivably 4 corners on the field all at one time).

Before killing Marshall, first let's see how well he does once the coaches start game planning and playing guys where they best belong.

I'll give you a great big thumbs up on that.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
I love when people with 11 posts call players out. They are always so credible.

Hard to judge that one. He could very well be solid in evaluating players, just new to this board. That said, you are more than likely correct with your assumption. Either way, both you and he could simply be guessing.

PortlandCardFan

Reaction score
I'm all for posts like JeffGollin but the OP's title is just stupid and I highly doubt he would call Marshall a bum to his face. This is the problem with the internet and message boards in general.

The cop-out that a player has to have thick skin is just that... It allows individuals say whatever they feel like with out any repercutions! I just don't get it...

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Too early about Marshall. But at least he tackles.

There is one thing I won't miss with DRC. Teams that could run at him and get 7-10+ yards a clip.

Best to use a Ron Burgandy quote. 50 percent of the time, it worked every time.

Marshall isn't like that. I'll give him a bit more time with coverage. But I wasn't expecting a world beater anyways. I was expecting a guy that would be 2-3 (or in the rotation) on most clubs.

DRC is better than that obviously, but only in coverage and ball hawking. Tackling??? Well we've all seen the threads.

DRC and tackling? Scott Player made better tackles sometimes.....ok ok I kid.

Al Jefferson looks very serviceable. It's still too early to say he'll do it consistently. But if he does what he's done throughout the season then I'd say he's a pretty good corner.

I really don't think our secondary at this point is that bad. I think it's improved in some areas, and I can see it getting better in others once they get used to the system, and pp7 has some games under his belt.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
We'll get a fairly good look at our pass defense this Saturday for as long as Rivers is in the game. Actually I think it works to our advantage playing San Diego. We know Rivers can throw the football and so the first quarter or so should give us a decent indication of where our Pass D is.

Ironically right now the Cards are #1 in Passing offense (yards per game) and #31 in pass defense(allowed per game) this pre season.

(We're 8th in run defense and 20th in rushing offense.)

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We'll get a fairly good look at our pass defense this Saturday for as long as Rivers is in the game. Actually I think it works to our advantage playing San Diego. We know Rivers can throw the football and so the first quarter or so should give us a decent indication of where our Pass D is.

Ironically right now the Cards are #1 in Passing offense (yards per game) and #31 in pass defense(allowed per game) this pre season.

Is this ironic or simply the same old new cards?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Is this ironic or simply the same old new cards?

It's ironic because with all the changes this season there we are with the #1 pass offense and a bottom 5 pass defense. Just like always. It's not anything new. We didn't call it Coryell Ground.

It's just a couple of pre season games so it likely won't last but it was just too Cardinal to not mention.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score

You don't think we got a pretty good look at our pass 'D' at GB when Rogers was in the game. I felt we did pretty well. We got our 'D' off the field without giving up a lot of points. I was pleased that our 4 CB set allowed our 'D'line biggies to get some coverage sacks one on one.

I think that because we had the 97 yard TD pass & run, that our stats are somewhat misleading right now. Hopefully we won't have many of those.

Last edited:

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I thought our D played well against Rodgers as well. I was very plesantly surprised at how well our D played against GB's #1's.

Now I expect us to be as good or better against SD.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You don't think we got a pretty good look at our pass 'D' at GB when Rogers was in the game. I felt we did pretty well. We got our 'D' off the field without giving up a lot of points. I was pleased that our 4 CB set allowed our 'D'line biggies to get some coverage sacks one on one.

The difference is that according to all the experts pre season game 3 is where teams play more, for real, for lack of a better term.

Right now the Cards are ranked 31st this pre season in passing yards allowed per game. I don't think that is really indicative of what we have and want to see what happens against one of the best passers in the game in "Game 3".

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, and we got fantastic pressure on Rodgers as well. I was very plesantly surprised at how well our D played against GB's #1's.

Now I expect us to be as good or better against SD.

I was glad we got some pressure on the QB but I'm pretty sure I recall the GB announcers commenting on that being a problem area for the team. IIRC, they gave up 5 sacks the week before so I'm not sure how much we can take from this.

Steve

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I was glad we got some pressure on the QB but I'm pretty sure I recall the GB announcers commenting on that being a problem area for the team. IIRC, they gave up 5 sacks the week before so I'm not sure how much we can take from this.

Steve

Plus no matter what, it's still preseason.

I just dont think you can come to any firm conclusions in preseason.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Plus no matter what, it's still preseason.

I just dont think you can come to any firm conclusions in preseason.

Well, we should have been paying more attention last pre season. Cards ranked 24th in passing yards per game last pre season. This year we're #1.

:D

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Well, we should have been paying more attention last pre season. Cards ranked 24th in passing yards per game last pre season. This year we're #1.

:D

I dont know what you're talking about, I have permanently deleted last year from my memory! :p

Well last year in preseason the Niners were 4-0 and the Colts were 0-4. I think you know what I'm sayin DJ.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
It's ironic because with all the changes this season there we are with the #1 pass offense and a bottom 5 pass defense. Just like always. It's not anything new. We didn't call it Coryell Ground.

It's just a couple of pre season games so it likely won't last but it was just too Cardinal to not mention.

yep Duck some things never change

I think that because we had the 97 yard TD pass & run, that our stats are somewhat misleading right now. Hopefully we won't have many of those.

Fish I think the secondary talent is improved no doubt, but I'm still skeptical on the results we will see this year once the bullets start flying.

We could have Aeneas & Primetime in our secondary and still get abused by the better passing teams as of right now IMO. Qb's will find guys open intodays game given the time. The real isssue is the pressure coming off the edges & unless Schofield's or Acho's lightbulbs magically go on for big campaigns I still don't think we're in the top 1/2 of the league against the pass. Sure, Horton will schematically get us some sacks, but blitzing also allows for big pass plays when those blitzers don't get to the QB & they haven't been working in the games yet.

Until we get those much needed edge rushers I'm not buying into the talent being more than it is...average at best!