Riley Reiff ??

Riley Reiff at 13?

• Total voters

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
He was the best OL in the Senior Bowl by far. He shut down Upshaw & Ingram. (Upshaw got a sack due to the qb scrambling into him after Adams pushed him away). I guess the problem is that he is not focused or whatever.
Here is what Scott Wright (Draftcountdown.com) said about his performance:
Played up to immense talent level and looked like a high first round pick.

he has looked pretty good in the games I saw him

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I would love for the draft to work out like this.Reiff will be a very good tackle on either side. He would be our best linemen from day one and he fills a huge need for us. If we take him I hope the Cards start him at left tackle from day one and move Levi over to RT where he belongs.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I'm not concerned about his arm length, I just don't think he's all that good. I'd have him as my 5th rated OT:
Kalil
Martin
Glenn
Adams
Reiff

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The arm length of Iowa standout offensive tackle Riley Reiff has been a focus of some discussion, but it hasn't seemed to scare off prospective suitors. Nor has it prompted most interested teams to project Reiff to guard, instead of tackle. At the combine, Reiff's arm length was measured at 33 1/4 inches. That's admittedly a bit short for a tackle prospect. By comparison, the arm lengths of highly regarded prospects Matt Kalil of USC and Stanford's Jonathan Martin were 34 1/2 inches and 34 inches, respectively. Another top-shelf tackle, Michael Adams of Ohio State, was also 34 inches. It's notable, though, that Joe Thomas of the Cleveland Browns had an arm length of just 32 1/2 inches in 2007. Thomas was the third player taken overall that year and has been chosen for the Pro Bowl in each of his five NFL seasons

If he can perform like "More stubby" Thomas I think he would do fine.:D

He has no where near the feet or technique that Thomas has though, which is my point. Thomas can get by with that short coming because he has amazing feet and technique.

And Reiffs arm length hasn't dropped him down boards because of the complete lack of top end OT talent in the draft for an NFL that is starving for even average OT's.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
You have mentioned this before. I don't get where one inch shorter than average - that's 3 percent - makes much difference. Hey, maybe it does, but I just don't see it. What makes you think that?

It isn't called the "game of inches" for nothing.:D

Whats the difference between running a 4.4 and a 4.6. About 4.5%. But anyone would say that is a huge difference right?

Think of it in terms of watching a boxing match. There is a reason why in the tale of the tape they give you the reach measurement.

And it is very important to teams, its why you hear more about that with an OL then you do any other measurement at the combine other then bench press.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bg7brd

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Whats the difference between running a 4.4 and a 4.6. About 4.5%. But anyone would say that is a huge difference right?

Think of it in terms of watching a boxing match. There is a reason why in the tale of the tape they give you the reach measurement.

And it is very important to teams, its why you hear more about that with an OL then you do any other measurement at the combine other then bench press.

Joe - Who would you take in this scenario?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
He has no where near the feet or technique that Thomas has though, which is my point. Thomas can get by with that short coming because he has amazing feet and technique.

And Reiffs arm length hasn't dropped him down boards because of the complete lack of top end OT talent in the draft for an NFL that is starving for even average OT's.

I have a question. If the NFL is starving for even average NFL Tackles how did the Cardinals manage to retain Levi Brown with what appears to be a very reasonable contract? I did notice that a lot of the free agent OTs re upped with their team though and did any tackle other than Eric Winston get a huge payday?

Just an odd Free Agency period this year.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

I heard a scout/personnel guy talking and another key measurement is hand size. Guys with bigger hands can more easily control the defensive player. Longer arms help keep them at bay and the bigger hands controls them.

hands measurements:
Reiff 10 1/8
Glenn 10 1/8
Martin 9 7/8
Adams 10 7/8
Kalil 10 3/8
Massie 9 :shock: at 6'6 and 35" arms, that may look this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEyOOfdozsM

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
One thing to consider is that the Cardinals Tackles shove rushers they don't engage them. So arm length may be more important.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question. If the NFL is starving for even average NFL Tackles how did the Cardinals manage to retain Levi Brown with what appears to be a very reasonable contract? I did notice that a lot of the free agent OTs re upped with their team though and did any tackle other than Eric Winston get a huge payday?

Just an odd Free Agency period this year.

I think your problem is assuming that Levi Brown is anywhere near average.... :D

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score

The man speaks the truth.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There are a couple trade down options I woudl explore to add picks.

The Bengals really like Courtney Upshaw, and if Melvin Ingram is gone, they might move ahead of the Jets who also are interested in him.

Mark Barron and Dontari Poe are both drawing interest from the Cowboys, so you could have interested parties there.

Fletcher Cox is the best DL in the draft and fits both the 4-3 or 3-4. Philly is really interested in him, and a team like the Pats might move up to get him.

Also, depending how teams feel about Gilmore, he is also a player a team could trade up for.

A bunch of options here. If I was convinced Cordy Glenn could play LT, he would be choice if not Mark Barron or Fletcher Cox. However, trading back and adding some picks could be the best option.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

tell that to Tyson. Short, short reach, a LOT of power. Not saying that it's the norm, but it's not the size, it's how you use it... we're still talking about boxing, right?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
tell that to Tyson. Short, short reach, a LOT of power. Not saying that it's the norm, but it's not the size, it's how you use it... we're still talking about boxing, right?

Pretty sure he got knocked the eff out by Buster Douglas, a boxer with a reach advantage and less natural talent than Tyson.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Pretty sure he got knocked the eff out by Buster Douglas, a boxer with a reach advantage and less natural talent than Tyson.
and Carl Williams, the guy with a longer reach than Douglas that Tyson knocked out in the 1st round months before Douglas?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't like short armed OT prospects, way more times then not they do not translate to the NFL and the ones that do have other characteristics that make up for that short coming. Such as Amazing feet, amazing technique, amazing smarts and strength. Reiff while maybe decent in those area's is not amazing.

So I guess you can say I am not a fan of Riley "STUBBY" Reiff.
Reiff's arm length is only one-inch less than average for tackles. No big deal - just something for gurus to look smart talking about.

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
and Carl Williams, the guy with a longer reach than Douglas that Tyson knocked out in the 1st round months before Douglas?

At least we got a good video game out of it. Both of them covered the best boxing games until the Fight Night series. That Buster Douglas Boxing was awesome...especially if you were 'the hulk'.

I think then Buster lost in his 1st title defense.

My guess is that the shorter arms allows the defender (with presumably longer arms) to manhandle the lineman (or vice versa if the ol arms are longer) by getting to him first and controlling the encounter. Think the old 'put your hand on the forehead of a little kid' and see them trying to wave their arms at you to no avail.

I do think that with all the 'head protection' being strictly enforced on lineman now more than in the past, this stat while still being important doesn't matter as much when the longer arms can't jam the face. When both are engaging at the chest/shoulder level a couple of inches one way or the other doesn't make as much difference in my opinionated guess.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At least we got a good video game out of it. Both of them covered the best boxing games until the Fight Night series. That Buster Douglas Boxing was awesome...especially if you were 'the hulk'.

I think then Buster lost in his 1st title defense.

My guess is that the shorter arms allows the defender (with presumably longer arms) to manhandle the lineman (or vice versa if the ol arms are longer) by getting to him first and controlling the encounter. Think the old 'put your hand on the forehead of a little kid' and see them trying to wave their arms at you to no avail.

I do think that with all the 'head protection' being strictly enforced on lineman now more than in the past, this stat while still being important doesn't matter as much when the longer arms can't jam the face. When both are engaging at the chest/shoulder level a couple of inches one way or the other doesn't make as much difference in my opinionated guess.
I understand that logic. Believe me. I'm a lanky bastard. But there's also the factor of leverage, hold a 20lb weight and move it further away from your body. It gets a lot harder to hold

CardsFan88

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I understand that logic. Believe me. I'm a lanky bastard. But there's also the factor of leverage, hold a 20lb weight and move it further away from your body. It gets a lot harder to hold

So I guess what you are saying is the extra couple of inches don't matter because those extra couple of inches don't add up to a total amount of additional leverage?

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
So I guess what you are saying is the extra couple of inches don't matter because those extra couple of inches don't add up to a total amount of additional leverage?
no. I'm saying it applies differently. Shorter arms have some advantage, as do longer

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05