RIP: Pete Rose (1941-2024)

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish they had let him in the HOF as a player. They could have left the ban in place for working in MLB, but he deserved to see his bust go in!

RIP to one of the greatest ever.

Last edited:

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Unbelievable how many iconic figures are shuffling off lately. Love or hate him (and I did both at various times), as a Phillies fan, I have to acknowledge Pete's contribution to the sport. RIP.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I was a huge fan, until I wasn't. But the years have softened my feelings toward the man. He was the ultimate competitor, no one ever questioned his effort and he belongs in the Hall of Fame. RIP Pete

Pete’s problem is he lied about gambling until he went broke and needed to sell a book. He was always on the counter attack with MLB which assured they’d never lift the ban. He’s playing resume is as HOF worthy as it gets but only has himself to blame for not getting in sadly.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pete’s problem is he lied about gambling until he went broke and needed to sell a book. He was always on the counter attack with MLB which assured they’d never lift the ban. He’s playing resume is as HOF worthy as it gets but only has himself to blame for not getting in sadly.
Oh I know, all he probably had to do was admit the truth. But it's too late for that now and let's face it, there are a lot of people in the Hall that I wouldn't invite home for dinner.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The time in America before baseball. 100 years. The time of baseball til now 148 years

In 148 years in an actually integrated league, Pete Rose is the hit king.

Especially in modern day, the gambling thing as not a player is just nonsense

Bobster

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambler, philanderer, tax evader, serial liar, pedophile.

Being good at hitting a baseball doesn't make you a good person.

He could never be contrite, he wouldn't admit betting on baseball until he was trying to sell his own book, and he never showed any contrition, unless you include him being willing to sign a baseball saying "I'M SORRY I BET ON BASEBALL" for $174.99.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

True, but it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Merit. I never liked Rose, but his impact on the sport was immense. You can be interested in history while accepting that a lot of it was made by unappealing people.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He could never be contrite, he wouldn't admit betting on baseball until he was trying to sell his own book, and he never showed any contrition, unless you include him being willing to sign a baseball saying "I'M SORRY I BET ON BASEBALL" for $174.99.

3 day break

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but it's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Merit. I never liked Rose, but his impact on the sport was immense. You can be interested in history while accepting that a lot of it was made by unappealing people.

You cannot gamble on games you play in, IMO, it is a hard line that warrants a life time ban.

His life is over... so maybe let him in now? I dunno, I can see that argument. I think all the steroid guys should go in before Rose, especially the ones that were using steroids while baseball didn't have any rule whatsoever banning them.

He seemed like an interesting guy though, I'd probably feel different if I sat with him at a bar and watched a game with him. Hecertainly loved the game and had a huge impact on it.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
RIP

As for the Hall, he made his bed he can lie in it. No to posthumous induction. Guys like Rose and Bonds and their ilk shouldn’t get a break once their kick off this mortal coil.

Helluva hitter and player though

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake