RJ back to Dbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
ESPN.com is reporting that the Diamondbacks have offered a package of at least three players for Randy Johnson and that the Padres also have interest in the left-hander.
We just don't get how any team could have that much interest in Johnson when he still needs to show he can overcome the back surgery that has him questionable for Opening Day. If he proves he's healthy in spring training, maybe it'd be worth trading for him and his $16 million salary. As is, he's a huge risk. According to the ESPN report, the D'Backs would actually want a window to negotiate an extension with Johnson before completing a deal. Even though Johnson is 43 years old, it sounds like Arizona is willing to overlook his sharp decline the last two years.

A baseball official told SI.com's Jon Heyman that Randy Johnson asked the Yankees to consider trading him to a team closer to his home in Phoenix.
The official said it's not a demand and that Johnson would be content to remain a Yankee if nothing could be arranged. Besides the Diamondbacks and Padres, Heyman says the Giants may have some interest in Johnson. He also believes the Yankees would try for Barry Zito if they dealt Johnson, though he doesn't have any sources for that one.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1528

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The whole surplus of SP is a joke, the hidden agenda is freeing up 16 million to sign Zito and pry him away from the Mets.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
What surplus?

Meche is average..

Suppan? Been there, done that.

Schmidt's got a history of elbow injuries and is 33 years old. He's coming off an 11-9 season, hardly like he tore it up.

Lilly's a .500 pitcher.

Marquis??

Come on.. There IS no surplus.. Which is why Zito can ask for 15 million per year, and guys like Matsuzaka can get 50 million despite never throwing a pitch on American soil.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole surplus of SP is a joke, the hidden agenda is freeing up 16 million to sign Zito and pry him away from the Mets.

The speculation that the Yankees are interested in Zito was merely just hearsay from an unsubstantiated outside source, so I wouldnt take that seriously whatsoever.....

The Yankees currently do have a surplus of startes with Pettite, Mussina, Wang, Pavano, and Igawa along with promising prospects Henn, Sanchez, and Philip Hughes... Also, they still have their sights on Roger Clemens.....

This is mainly spurred on because Johnson recovering from major back surgery needs to pitch in a warmer weather climate (IE the dry heat of AZ) opposed to the cold frigid temps he currently encounters in NY along with the rest of the East coast... Coming from someone who had herniated discs and 2 back surgeries....the dry-heat does wonders.. makes one feel tremendously younger than they would feel otherwise....

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I was glad when rid ourselves of him (though we should have had a better return in the deal), I'd be absolutely sick to see him return.

With his age and injury issues we'd be lucky to get 20 starts out of him in a season.

Waste of money, and if the D-Backs give up anything worthwhile for him they are going down a bad road again.

We are not asking for him to return as a CY winner to save our rotation though.

We would ask him to come back to compliment Webb, Hernandez and Davis. You gotta admit that those 4 would be our best four ever. (Including the Schilling and RJ days.)

I say we pull the trigger on the trade if it is something like Clark, Diagle, mid-tier prospects. But if any names such as Quentin, CoJack, Upton, Drew, etc. etc. come up we lose intrest COMPLETELY.

Names such as Nippert, Owings, etc. would warrant some of the contract to be paid for IMO.

$16 Million for one year would not be bad. Could you imagine the hype coming from the casual DBacks fan? He'd sellout a couple of games at least. We'd make some of his salary back in revenue (jersey sales, ticket sales, etc.).

Johnson isn't done. I can surely see him rejuvenating his career here in Arizona.

Johnson has pitched in 200+ innings the past 3 seasons (2 with NYY/1 in AZ). He's not awful by ANY standards. Is he CY material? No. Is he a GREAT 3rd or 4th starter? YES.

What have we got to lose with a one year contract?

Beats David Wells or anyone else left in the market. (Don't say RJ doesn't beat Zito. Because he does. I'd take RJ for 1 Yr/$16 mill over Zito for 5 Yr/$100+ mill)

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know many are concerned about the $16 mil remaining on RJ's contract or if even the Yankees would assume any of it.....

I have a feeling that money isnt really significant to RJ at this point....especially if it meant returning back to his since adopted home of Phoenix.... He might be willing to restructure his contract to give the Dbacks a hometown type discount.... Perhaps... he might actually have at least 2-more years left, so they could spread that money for 2-yrs and then grant him a club option for 3rd year....Also, offer him some front office work with the franchise after his playing days are over.......that's something I bet they would be willing to explore since he will forever be an icon here....

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
I know many are concerned about the $16 mil remaining on RJ's contract or if even the Yankees would assume any of it.....

I have a feeling that money isnt really significant to RJ at this point....especially if it meant returning back to his since adopted home of Phoenix.... He might be willing to restructure his contract to give the Dbacks a hometown type discount.... Perhaps... he might actually have at least 2-more years left, so they could spread that money for 2-yrs and then grant him a club option for 3rd year....Also, offer him some front office work with the franchise after his playing days are over.......that's something I bet they would be willing to explore since he will forever be an icon here....

I can't see Randy taking less to play here this year. I could see him taking a cut next year though. I think money is a big thing to him (even though he may deny it). I think it was a motivation for him to move to the dark side.

I could see us signing him to a 1 year extension (Anywhere from 3-6 million next season). I also think the front office thing would intrest him slightly, but then again I can't see him much as a behind the scenes kinda guy.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't see Randy taking less to play here this year. I could see him taking a cut next year though. I think money is a big thing to him (even though he may deny it). I think it was a motivation for him to move to the dark side.

I could see us signing him to a 1 year extension (Anywhere from 3-6 million next season). I also think the front office thing would intrest him slightly, but then again I can't see him much as a behind the scenes kinda guy.

His main motivation about going to the Yankees was so he could match-up against Curt Schilling.... His competitive nature got ignited once he saw Curt earning the WS ring......Unfortunately for his sake, that didnt evolve... Now.. the Yankees need to rid a spot in their rotation (and also an immensely lucractive contract) and RJ is the most logical choice....

Also, RJ is more of a behind-the-scenes guy since he essentially keeps a lower profile than most players of his calibre......

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think it was a motivation for him to move to the dark side.

Money was a motivation for him to go to NYY, the money he knew the Boss would spend trying to get a World Series. Johnson knew his chances of a title in NY were much greater than in AZ, he made a smart move in that regard.

Anyway, Ownings, Nippert AND Gonzalez, seems like a bit much. I'd MUCH rather it be like Byrnes and Nippert...I really want to hold on to Ownings and Gonzalez. I don't know if 1 or 2 years of RJ is worth those 3 guys, unless AZ gets a prospect or something else in return.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
God no.

Please no.

The rotation needs help and RJ is not it.

He is done. DONE.

I do NOT want to see him back here and anyone in the D-back's organization who thinks he can help is an idiot.

Do not trade anyone for him, do NOT assume ANY part of his salary.

This is ridiculous. I will HATE this if it happens and it will go down as the most ridiculous, assinine trade this team has ever made.

Jesus, the man is DONE!!! He has no more left. Finito. Finished. Game over.

You do not catch lightning in a bottle with a 43 year old pitcher whose skills are diminishing every year.

PLEASE LET THIS FALL APART!!

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
God no.

Please no.

The rotation needs help and RJ is not it.

He is done. DONE.

I do NOT want to see him back here and anyone in the D-back's organization who thinks he can help is an idiot.

Do not trade anyone for him, do NOT assume ANY part of his salary.

This is ridiculous. I will HATE this if it happens and it will go down as the most ridiculous, assinine trade this team has ever made.

Jesus, the man is DONE!!! He has no more left. Finito. Finished. Game over.

You do not catch lightning in a bottle with a 43 year old pitcher whose skills are diminishing every year.

I'm glad I am not the only one who see's this...:thumbup:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We are not asking for him to return as a CY winner to save our rotation though.

$16 Million for one year would not be bad. Could you imagine the hype coming from the casual DBacks fan? He'd sellout a couple of games at least. We'd make some of his salary back in revenue (jersey sales, ticket sales, etc.).

Johnson isn't done. I can surely see him rejuvenating his career here in Arizona.

Johnson has pitched in 200+ innings the past 3 seasons (2 with NYY/1 in AZ). He's not awful by ANY standards. Is he CY material? No. Is he a GREAT 3rd or 4th starter? YES.

What have we got to lose with a one year contract?

Beats David Wells or anyone else left in the market. (Don't say RJ doesn't beat Zito. Because he does. I'd take RJ for 1 Yr/$16 mill over Zito for 5 Yr/$100+ mill)

Not asking him to return as a Cy Young winner but then turn around and pay him like one? What sense does that make??????

43 year olds with back problems that have thrown as hard as they have in their careers don't magically rejuvenate their careers.

Yeah, I'd rather have Zito--he'll at least give us 5 solid years. We'll be lucky to get 15 solid starts from Johnson.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score
Not asking him to return as a Cy Young winner but then turn around and pay him like one? What sense does that make??????

43 year olds with back problems that have thrown as hard as they have in their careers don't magically rejuvenate their careers.

Yeah, I'd rather have Zito--he'll at least give us 5 solid years. We'll be lucky to get 15 solid starts from Johnson.

Johnson pitched 200+ innings last season.

With the back problems he'll be fine. He would still give us 25 starts.

We're not turning around and paying him like one. We're taking on his salary. It's a salary DUMP for the Yankees. That's the reason we're only trading smaller prospects for the Unit.

DKCards

Reaction score
The Yankees throughout the offseason have been in pursuit of a power-hitting 1B..... Their only 1B at the present time are Andy Phillips and recent Rule 5 draftee, Josh Phelps...... Therefore, I wouldnt be shocked if the ML that might be included in any package would be Tony Clark....

The only way the Dbacks will take on any salary would be to dump a lucractive contract in the process... Although.. Clark didnt excel during his initial tenure w/the Yankees..that was mainly because of lingering injuries which havent affected him in years.....Also, Clark only has one year on his contract, which then the Yankees could easily rid of by obviously not re-signing him the following season.. He would serve as an inexpensive (by Yankee standards) stop-gap until either Phillips or Phelps would become every day 1B........

It will probably be Clark, a mid-tier starting prospect.....The Yankees already have a surplus of OF, so there isnt a need for them to acquire Byrnes anyways.....

Doesn't Clark have a no trade clause in his contract?

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah... he does, however, I think he would waive it for a better chance to play more on a regular basis and to finally earn a WS ring.... otherwise.. he knows he's essentially deadweight here in AZ......

True, he does make his home here, but I bet he would be willing to sacrifice that to prolong his career opposed to just wasting away.....

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
God no. Please no. The rotation needs help and RJ is not it.

He is done. DONE.

I do NOT want to see him back here and anyone in the D-back's organization who thinks he can help is an idiot. Do not trade anyone for him, do NOT assume ANY part of his salary. This is ridiculous. I will HATE this if it happens and it will go down as the most ridiculous, assinine trade this team has ever made.

Jesus, the man is DONE!!! He has no more left. Finito. Finished. Game over. You do not catch lightning in a bottle with a 43 year old pitcher whose skills are diminishing every year.

:stupid:

Not to mention he's not exactly a fan favorite.

nathan

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah... he does, however, I think he would waive it for a better chance to play more on a regular basis and to finally earn a WS ring.... otherwise.. he knows he's essentially deadweight here in AZ......

True, he does make his home here, but I bet he would be willing to sacrifice that to prolong his career opposed to just wasting away.....

The no trade clause was only good for last year. He can be traded any time.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
A radio host in NY is apparently talking up about a "hot, top catching prospect" named "Chris Schneider." :biglaugh:

The asking price for RJ is just too high. I want whatever Brian Cashman is smoking because asking for any top prospects for a 40+ year-old pitcher who is making 16 million.

Some more news:
The New York Daily News says that the Dodgers and Angels could also be in the mix for Randy Johnson, but that the Padres are the favorites.
Speculation is that the Padres have or will offer Scott Linebrink for Johnson. As much as a flyball pitcher as he's turned into, Johnson would have a far better chance of bouncing back at Petco than he would in Arizona. He's gotten fewer grounders four years running, and he's posted two of the highest home run rates of his career as a Yankee.
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1528

Look, the team is not trying to aquire Randy to be a front of the rotation starter. They are, most likely, looking to have him retire as a D'back, bring back more fans, and solidify the top four spots of the rotation.

Yes, he will cost a ton of money and yes, he is old; but he is not going to be expected to be the ace of the staff. Instead, he is a stop-gate that will be used so that our younger pitchers can develop and aren't thrown into the fire right away. If the team trades from its strengths and gains a starter like RJ to fit into the middle of the rotation, while not giving up any top prospects, then I am all for it.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What surplus?

Meche is average..

Suppan? Been there, done that.

Schmidt's got a history of elbow injuries and is 33 years old. He's coming off an 11-9 season, hardly like he tore it up.

Lilly's a .500 pitcher.

Marquis??

Come on.. There IS no surplus.. Which is why Zito can ask for 15 million per year, and guys like Matsuzaka can get 50 million despite never throwing a pitch on American soil.

I am talking about the NYY's rotation of Weng, Pettite, Mussina, Pavano, and Hughes, and I believe they have another veteran, so Randy would be the odd man out.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Johnson pitched 200+ innings last season.

With the back problems he'll be fine. He would still give us 25 starts.

We're not turning around and paying him like one. We're taking on his salary. It's a salary DUMP for the Yankees. That's the reason we're only trading smaller prospects for the Unit.

25 starts maybe(I say 20 maximum) how many good starts? He was terrible last year and had it not been for the Yankees offense he would have had a much worse record.

Pass.

Giving up any prospect for an over the hill pitcher is stupid.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
We would ask him to come back to compliment Webb, Hernandez and Davis. You gotta admit that those 4 would be our best four ever. (Including the Schilling and RJ days.)

This is silly...Schilling & Johnson were both better pitchers in '01 than Webb was last season. Livan Hernandez is only slightly better than Brian Anderson or Miquel Batista(he will eat more innings).

Status
Not open for further replies.