RJ back to Dbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
25 starts maybe(I say 20 maximum) how many good starts? He was terrible last year and had it not been for the Yankees offense he would have had a much worse record.

Pass.

Giving up any prospect for an over the hill pitcher is stupid.

Agree 1000% Zeno

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo may not be the most repuable individual, but he reported who the Yankees are requesting the Dbacks to sacrifice for RJ:

2 of the following 3 starting prospects:
Micah Owings
Ross Ohelndorf
Dana Eveland

Reliever:
Brandon Medders

Either 1 of 2 IF prospects:
Emilio Bonifacio
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/Emilio-Bonifacio.shtml

Alberto Gonzalez:
http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/Alberto-Gonzalez.shtml

Absolutely not... no way would I part with any of those 3 pitching prospects since they all have the potential to make a major impact... Medders was the most reliable rubber-arm out of the pen last season and avoided injury.....

True, the Dbacks have a surplus of middle-infielders, but Bonifacio is extremely young and can only get better.....

I have faith though in Byrnes.. I am certain these are the initial players that Cashman and Co. of requested, which is why a trade hasnt materialized since no way would Byrnes approve sacrificing such solid long-term talent... He's resisted thus far since his tenure began last season and I dont see that changing.......

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I think Medders is someone to be traded because he could very well turn out to be one of those relievers who has been overused. I also would rather trade Enrique and Edgar before those other three.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Gambo may not be the most repuable individual, but he reported who the Yankees are requesting the Dbacks to sacrifice for RJ:

2 of the following 3 starting prospects:
Micah Owings
Ross Ohelndorf
Dana Eveland

Right as soon as they mentioned Owings or Eveland, I'd have hung up the phone.

Cashman's an idiot if he thinks the Diamondbacks do that. Sorry, you're not getting to have your cake and eat it too.. If you want Johnson's 16 mill off the books that badly, you take what's given to you. And that will NOT be Owings, Eveland or Ohlendorf.. Nor will it be Chad Tracy, nor will it be any of Arizona's top 20 prospects.

Sorry.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Medders is someone to be traded because he could very well turn out to be one of those relievers who has been overused. I also would rather trade Enrique and Edgar before those other three.

I think the Dbacks have finally learned from what happened to both Lance Cormier and Oscar Villarreal in not over-extending their relievers.... He's the ideal set-up man with excellent control and a lot of poise for someone who was essentially a rookie last season..... He would alternate as the 7/8 inning man along with Tony Pena and Luis Vizcaino.... Medders is perfect since he's a change of pace since he doesnt possess the velocity like the others in the pen does, but is crafty enough to get by....... I would love if the Dbacks could convince the Yankees to take Jorge Julio instead, but it seems they wouldnt want his contract and also the fact that he would again struggle under the media scrutiny in NY like he did during his Tour of Duty w/the Mets..... I just dont know what pitcher would fill Medders innings from last season.... Certainly not Lyon.....

I know the Yankees want Lindebrink from the Padres in exchange for RJ, so quite frankly I hope that does happen..especially since no way I would part with any of those players for RJ.......

Perhaps the Dbacks will revisit the Angels..... They did sign our favorite, Shea Hillenbrand to a 1-year deal today to replace the since injured Juan Rivera, but we know Hillenbrand wont last the whole year there..... If the Dbacks cannot get Joe Saunders from the Angels... perhaps they might be inclined to give-up John Lackey who still has a few promising years left and I believe his contract is managable.....

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Lackey's still a baby by MLB terms. He might be worth looking in to, if Arizona's serious about getting a starting pitcher.

As for Shea, I think he's just a short term option until Morales is ready.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
John Lackey ain't going anywhere, he's one of the best pitchers in the league and makes next to nothing. Joe Saunders is also staying in Orange County unless the DBacks throw in one of the untouchables.

I want the Dbacks to maker moves that are going to help this team win now and down the road. Trading away prospects for Randy Johnson does neither.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
John Lackey ain't going anywhere, he's one of the best pitchers in the league and makes next to nothing. Joe Saunders is also staying in Orange County unless the DBacks throw in one of the untouchables.

The Angels currently have an extremely deep rotation with Colon, Weaver, Santana, Escobar, Lackey, and Saunders....

I know Santana has been offered in a couple trade packages... no way would anyone want the both overpiad Colon or Escobar... I agree that a team must floor the Angels in order for them to be willing to give-up Saunders, however, I believe that they would part with Lackey if they got the power-hitter theyve been pursuing.... Hillenbrand doesnt necessarily suit that role....

I know you're an Angels fan.... What's your reaction to that rumored package they offered the Rockies for Todd Helton? That included Casey Kotchman, Jeff Mathis, and Erick Aybar..... I feel that would be the worst for the Angels since Helton is somewhat on the decline and of course no one can gauge a Rockie power-hitter due to the obvious.....

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I know Santana has been offered in a couple trade packages... I believe that they would part with Lackey if they got the power-hitter theyve been pursuing....
Yeah, Santana (not Lackey) was offered up for future HOF-caliber guys like Manny Ramirez, Alfonso Soriano, and Miguel Tejada and he was essentially offered straight up for those guys. Nobody right now on the DBacks fits into that category except Webb who the DBacks are obviously not trading.

The Angels will just pay Saunders 300k this year and have him spot start and work out of the bullpen until there's an injury or Colon's contract expires in October '07. Lackey makes nothing for a pitcher of his caliber, the Angels nor any other team in the bigs will trade a young, proven SP with a manageable contract right now unless they're completely overwhelmed if at all.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
One of my good friends from New York called me yesterday (he's a huge Mets fan, hates the NYY) and asked if the Big Unit rumor was big here as well. I said it was and he asked who was rumored to be traded for RJ. I went and on and on about how Byrnes treasures his big time prospects and none would be dealt for RJ. After I was done, he started laughing and told me Yankee fans and media are saying that Byrnes offered Stephen Drew and that the Yankees are close to agreeing...... I laughed for a solid 30 seconds straight and then we both agreed that Yankee fans are the biggest idiots in all of sports. Byrnes wouldn't trade Drew for Jeter straight up (I'm not joking either), so he definitely wouldn't trade him for a washed up pitcher due 16 million.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
D-Backs hope home is enough to land Unit

The Diamondbacks remain in limbo while the New York Yankees consider their trade proposal for Randy Johnson, but the D-Backs appear to have one important factor on their side.If Johnson does want to return home to play, he now knows that the D-Backs want him back.

And because of the veto power provided by his no-trade clause, Johnson can pick his destination if the Yankees do agree to deal him.

“It’s now out in the open,” D-Backs general manager Josh Byrnes said Tuesday. “We’re still waiting to learn the result.”

San Diego, San Francisco and two unidentified teams also have entered talks to obtain Johnson, an unidentified Yankees official told the Newark (N.J.) Star-Ledger on Tuesday.

The D-Backs’ offer, believed to include a package of young pitchers, is “significantly behind” an offer from San Diego, an unidentified baseball official told the paper.

San Diego’s top bargaining chip appears to be setup man Scott Linebrink, who has been closer Trevor Hoffman’s protege the past three seasons and who many scouts believe has closer’s stuff.

The D-Backs are believed to be unwilling to sweeten their offer as they wait to hear from the Yankees.

If it gets that far, the D-Backs would like a negotiating window with which to talk contract terms with Johnson, who is in the final year of a deal that will pay him $16 million next season.

The D-Backs have a little more than $10 million to spend to meet their projected 2007 budget, and the Yankees are reportedly unwilling to absorb any of Johnson’s salary if he is dealt.

Johnson, 43, is owed $40 million in deferred money from his time with the D-Backs, 1999-2004, when he won four NL Cy Young awards.

Johnson has approached the Yankees about moving him closer to his Valley home but did not demand a trade, agent Alan Nero said Monday.

At the same time, Johnson has told the Yankees that he will be content to return to New York if a suitable trade is not found.

“Unless it’s a deal (the Yankees) really want, there’s not going to be a trade,” the baseball official told the Star Ledger. “There is no urgency.”

The Yankees have skewed younger and less expensive with their two previous offseason moves, trading outfielder Gary Sheffield to Detroit for three minor leagues pitchers and dealing starting pitcher Jaret Wright to Baltimore for a younger reliever.

“If it’s right and the player (Johnson) is willing, then you’ll see something happen,” the Yankees official said. “If not, then it was all a lot of noise.”

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=81253

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm beginning to wonder if somehow the Dbacks and Yankees could find another team to configure some 3-way deal....... Perhaps the Angels or Marlins could get involved if it necessitated to that......

As mentioned earlier in this thread...the Angels were rumored in offering a solid package to acquire Helton, but it seems the Rockies are hesitant to accept....

If the Yankees are seeking middle IF, starting pitching, a middle reliever, and a 1B...then... this potential deal could work-out:

Yankees send RJ and a couple prospects to the Angels for Erick Aybar, Casey Kotchman, and a reliever....

Angels then deal RJ to the Dbacks for perhaps Tony Clark along with a couple mid-tier prospects.....

I'm not sure exactly who the Dbacks would be inclined to give-up though.... Plus, uncertain if the Angels would be interested in Clark anyways.....

Or if the Marlins got involved in another trade scenario.. they could trade Jason Stokes to the Yankees along with a few of their top prospects.....

That's the only way I believe the Dbacks can acquire RJ since there's no way I want them to part with the players that Gambo linked lastnite....

Edit:
It's more tentative brainstorming on my part opposed to any of those proposals being well thought-out.... it's essentially trying to structure a deal that would fill all the respective teams needs....

Last edited:

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The notion that Tony Clark has any trade value is laughable. Probbaly the only reaosn he will be on a major league roster next year (and that isn't even a guarantee) is because we stupidly signed him to an extension.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The notion that Tony Clark has any trade value is laughable. Probbaly the only reaosn he will be on a major league roster next year (and that isn't even a guarantee) is because we stupidly signed him to an extension.

I know we've begged to differ on how we value Clark, but I still dont classify '05 as a fluke.... The New York Mets IIRC expressed an interest in him summer along with a few other teams... If he returned back to the AL and played on an every day basis at 1B/DH, his stats could potentially climb close to what he generated in '05.....

I think it's laughable for the Angels to acquire a malcontent like Hillenbrand..who will be gone by mid-season since he will cause another distraction... I cannot figure out why teams dont learn what a clubhouse cancer he is.....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score

Agree 100%. I don't understand why his name is even surfacing???? Sure, he may get more at bats in the AL but he's washed up and has no upside. Tony Clark has absolutely no trade value and I would be shocked if the Yanks wanted him.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Big Unit To D'backs?

Give the man respect, he is the BIG UNIT. I hope we sign him. We have lacked left handed quality pitching for quite some time. The Yankees signed another left hander today in Igawa, and with Pavano, Mussina, Pettite, Wang, and maybe clemens to come, Johnson seems odd man out. I want Randy to finish his career in 2-3 more years... as an Arizona Diamondback. I want to see his face along with Luis Gonzalez in the outfield someday, and I want him wearing and Diamondback cap in his hall of fame plaque. But most of all, I want to see him get to 300 wins THIS season, meaning 20 wins. How cool will that be for young players like Drew and Quentin to help a legend reach that point. Not to mention the guy has some killer instinct and intimidation that he may be able to pass on to Nippert or someone. Anyhow, anyone who doesnt want him has a short term memory, forgets that we got a killer deal for him and will probably not have to give up to much to get him back for a short time.
Anyhow....This sounds GREAT to me..

Webb
Johnson
Hernandez
Gonzalez
Rookie...

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree 100%. I don't understand why his name is even surfacing???? Sure, he may get more at bats in the AL but he's washed up and has no upside. Tony Clark has absolutely no trade value and I would be shocked if the Yanks wanted him.

I must admit that Im just basing it on a major need that the Yankees are desperate in filling-up (1B) and just hoping that they would accept Clark over any prospect that they've been demanding from the Dbacks...

Quite frankly.... I dont see the Dbacks acquiring RJ since there will be no middle-ground in regards to which prospects the Dbacks and Yankees can come to terms with.....

The best case scenario is to have Micah Owings, Dennis Nippert, Dana Eveland, Ross Ohlendorf, both Gonzalez's..along with Juan Cruz battle for the final 2 spots in the rotation.... It's becoming more and more apparent that they must be special since several teams have been inquiring about them over the past few months (aside from Cruz and the Gonzalezs)....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Give the man respect, he is the BIG UNIT. I hope we sign him. We have lacked left handed quality pitching for quite some time. The Yankees signed another left hander today in Igawa, and with Pavano, Mussina, Pettite, Wang, and maybe clemens to come, Johnson seems odd man out. I want Randy to finish his career in 2-3 more years... as an Arizona Diamondback. I want to see his face along with Luis Gonzalez in the outfield someday, and I want him wearing and Diamondback cap in his hall of fame plaque. But most of all, I want to see him get to 300 wins THIS season, meaning 20 wins. How cool will that be for young players like Drew and Quentin to help a legend reach that point. Not to mention the guy has some killer instinct and intimidation that he may be able to pass on to Nippert or someone. Anyhow, anyone who doesnt want him has a short term memory, forgets that we got a killer deal for him and will probably not have to give up to much to get him back for a short time.
Anyhow....This sounds GREAT to me..

Webb
Johnson
Hernandez
Gonzalez
Rookie...

He's not a free agent so we'd have to trade for him. If Gambo is correct, which is about 30% of the time, then the Yankees asking price is laughable. To have to give up Owings, Carlos Gonzalez, and others is WAY TOO MUCH in return for a broken down FHOF.

We don't have short term memory, we are realistic. The RJ your speaking of, the once intimidating dominant lefty who was feared, is only a shell of his old self. If the Yankees reduce their asking price and we have to give up mid-tier prospects then I'd be for it. But to want RJ back at a crippling cost (prospect wise and financially) simply to see him ride off in the sunset as a Dback is not good for this team in the slightest bit. RJ may have 2 more decent years left in him which won't help this Dback team at all. We need to continue to be responsible in free agency and in trades so we can win a world series when our home grown talent fully develops. IMO, RJ does not fit into that vision (especially if it means dealing prized prospects that will help us 5-10 years down the road).

Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I must admit that Im just basing it on a major need that the Yankees are desperate in filling-up (1B) and just hoping that they would accept Clark over any prospect that they've been demanding from the Dbacks...

Quite frankly.... I dont see the Dbacks acquiring RJ since there will be no middle-ground in regards to which prospects the Dbacks and Yankees can come to terms with.....

The best case scenario is to have Micah Owings, Dennis Nippert, Dana Eveland, Ross Ohlendorf, both Gonzalez's..along with Juan Cruz battle for the final 2 spots in the rotation.... It's becoming more and more apparent that they must be special since several teams have been inquiring about them over the past few months (aside from Cruz and the Gonzalezs)....

I agree that the Yanks are in dire need of a 1B. I'm coming more from the angle that even if Clark is part of a deal, he's a throw in. The Yanks would demand other top prospects cause they know he's easily despensable on our behalf.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Yanks are in dire need of a 1B. I'm coming more from the angle that even if Clark is part of a deal, he's a throw in. The Yanks would demand other top prospects cause they know he's easily despensable on our behalf.

I wonder if a package of Chris Carter, Brian Barden, and probably a mid-tier reliever (Casey Daigle) wouldnt be all too drastic to lure RJ here, however, I would dread parting w/any of those (except for Daigle) to just get RJ.....

Let's face it... RJ isnt coming here, so perhaps it's time to end this discussion? haha... Seriously though..... it's time to revisit the Rangers in having further discussions w/them.. and perhaps check back w/Oakland to see if they would be willing to deal either Haren or Blanton...

No trades will happen until Clemens, Mulder, and Zito land in their respective teams... because then..the winners of any of those sweepstakes may suddenly have a surplus of starters and would be so inclined to deal them... Thats when Byrnes and Co. should be knocking on the door....

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
If the Yanks land either Clemens or Zito, a trade involving RJ will more then likely happen. This will also be the time period when we have the most leverage (land RJ for mid level prospects and 1 major leaguer). However, I can't see NYY turning down a deal involving Linebrink so we'd still probably lose out. I would rather us get someone else so it wouldn't bother me anyways.

I agree with you regarding trades with Texas and Oakland. I would like to see us land Otsuka but we'll have to wait till spring training for that to happen. He would solidify our bullpen which would do wonders. Us landing Danny Haren would be awesome as well although dealing for both Otsuka and Haren would cost us nearly all our elite prospects (Upton untouchable). You could def kiss Gonzalez, Young, Nippert, Owings and maybe more goodbye if we were to trade for both. IMO, I don't want us to trade either Owings or Carlos Gonzalez (I know I'm contradicting myself but they have major upside).

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Yanks land either Clemens or Zito, a trade involving RJ will more then likely happen. This will also be the time period when we have the most leverage (land RJ for mid level prospects and 1 major leaguer). However, I can't see NYY turning down a deal involving Linebrink so we'd still probably lose out. I would rather us get someone else so it wouldn't bother me anyways.

I agree with you regarding trades with Texas and Oakland. I would like to see us land Otsuka but we'll have to wait till spring training for that to happen. He would solidify our bullpen which would do wonders. Us landing Danny Haren would be awesome as well although dealing for both Otsuka and Haren would cost us nearly all our elite prospects (Upton untouchable). You could def kiss Gonzalez, Young, Nippert, Owings and maybe more goodbye if we were to trade for both. IMO, I don't want us to trade either Owings or Carlos Gonzalez (I know I'm contradicting myself but they have major upside).

I'm getting more and more impressed with the contingent of Owings, Ohlendorf, Nippert, Eveland, etc since they've been generating quite a buzz this offseason.... If other team scouts see the value in them, then the Dbacks must realize that theyre keepers.....

I wouldnt want to sacrifice Carlos Gonzalez either... I wouldnt be shocked to see Eric Byrnes traded in June to clear room for him to become the Dbacks every day LF...... He seems to possess a lot of power..... I wonder if Jon Zeringue might have any trade value.... I expect that Hairston will be dealt in the same manner that Cintron was last Spring Training, but I hope the Dbacks dont settle for another live batting practice pitcher in return....

I'm still in the camp that I hope Upton plays 2B opposed to CF.... him and Drew would form the best DP combination in years (ala Trammell/Whitaker)... I would keep Quentin-RF, Young-CF, and Carlos Gonazlez-LF long-term...However, I dont envision Upton being promoted up to the ML until probably '09 at the earliest, so Hudson will remain at 2B until then.....

I would give-up any of the top pitching prospects for Haren in a heartbeat because he has CY material and hasnt even closely approached his prime... Imagine Webb/Haren being the 1/2 punch for 5+ years?

Only thing that concerns me w/Otsuka is his age, but he seems to get better as the years go by, however, I might be the only confident enough in Valverde as the Dbacks closer... The main issue w/him is whether or not is he in proper condition (weightwise).... otherwise.. there's then a need to be concerned...

HooverDam

Reaction score
I think the best thing in regards to RJ would be if he got traded to San Diego, and then returned to AZ the year after on a cheap deal to ride into the sunset. The likely hood of it happening seems rather low, but if the Yankees alleged asking price is correct, its too high.

KLL, I agree w/ you about Upton moving to second in the future and having Gonzalez in LF. Its sort of the Mike D'Antoni approach of 'playing your best players and finding a position for them.' If all of these young OF's pan out, I'd hate to see the Dbacks have to part with one because they don't think he could play another position.

Status
Not open for further replies.