Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Nyynews.com is reporting that the deal if finalized and it is Nippert, Owings and Vizciano for Randy Johnson and $2M-$4M. Seems like a lot to give up at this point. If this was the doing of Kendricks and Moorad I hope it doesn't cause an issue in the front office with Byrnes.

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nyynews.com is reporting that the deal if finalized and it is Nippert, Owings and Vizciano for Randy Johnson and $2M-$4M. Seems like a lot to give up at this point. If this was the doing of Kendricks and Moorad I hope it doesn't cause an issue in the front office with Byrnes.

That is a ridiculous price, I would rather trade those for a young SP like Buerhle or Harden not RJ, this ownership hasn't learned anything from the Joe G days.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this is true and we are stupidly giving away our few decent prospects for a washed up RJ, we absolutely must sign our first rounder Max Scherzer.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is a ridiculous price, I would rather trade those for a young SP like Buerhle or Harden not RJ, this ownership hasn't learned anything from the Joe G days.
If that offering is what it supposedly takes to land RJ in this market, then trading the kind of assets it would take to get Buerhle or Harden just isn't feasible.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
*Bangs my head off the wall.*

I'm gonna hold out hope here that this rumor is one of the many that have thus far been deemed bogus, and hope that this is just more of New York's media fabricating crap.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If that offering is what it supposedly takes to land RJ in this market, then trading the kind of assets it would take to get Buerhle or Harden just isn't feasible.

I know it would take more to get Buerhle or Harden, but if we're giving up top pitching prospects we need to get younger SP's. I say go into the season with Owings and Nippert as our 4 & 5 and let them get a full year under their belts. Look at Bonderman and Maroth now after they bombed their first year.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I know it would take more to get Buerhle or Harden, but if we're giving up top pitching prospects we need to get younger SP's. I say go into the season with Owings and Nippert as our 4 & 5 and let them get a full year under their belts. Look at Bonderman and Maroth now after they bombed their first year.

Theseare all rumores. I{ would love to have RJ back. Burns has made good deals. We are not giving up Drew, Upton and Quentin for him. They obviously want Randy gone. If I were the dbacks I would just hold out for the right deal. I think Randy could still pitch as well as Batista did last yer. Or at least Gil Meche$$$

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Randy Johnson is believed to be seeking a one-year extension worth about $12 million as part of a deal to the Diamondbacks.
Things could be held up because he's currently vacactioning in Hawaii. The Yankees apparently are willing to pay a portion of Johnson's $16 million salary in 2006 if it nets them the package of players they'd like in return. They've already been turned down in their request for Conor Jackson, but they could settle for either Luis Vizcaino or Brandon Medders along a couple of Arizona's better pitching prospects.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=1528

I hope that means Nippert and not Owings. If we trade Owings, I think I might lose it.

Phill11

The Payphone Man
Reaction score

I hope that means Nippert and not Owings. If we trade Owings, I think I might lose it.

Agreed. I think Owings has potential, but I hope he wasn't a one hit wonder with his performance last season.

I would be willing to do a Nippert + Medders for RJ + $3-4 million.

Nippert is a pitching prospect true. But lets face it. He will never be nothing more than a solid long relief pitcher. I don't see him dominating anytime soon. Not to say that RJ will either...

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
This is just insanity, a middle market team spending top dollar on a 43 year old with a bad back. Oh, and we give up some good young pitching prospects. I can't wait for the spin on this one...

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Makes me sick. He wants an extension too at $12 million?????

Nothing like trying to recapture the past. He is D-O-N-E. he gave up 28 HRs last year and 32 the year before ,his SO per 9 was the worst in 16 yrs, his K/BB ratio was his worst since 1995 and his Hits per 9 was his third worst in his career. Not to mention the ERA of 5, back surgery...

What a great deal!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why do some of you think Byrnes is not behind this? Of course he is and if they make this trade and give up Owings and Nippert, I will have no faith in Brynes. Why is it that the fans can see that this is a bad trade but the front office doesn't?

I would be happy if they trade Medders with Nippert or Ohlendorf. Trading Owings is too much. If they plan on trading three players why not go after another pitcher besides Randy?

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
I agree, Zona - if Byrnes accepts something like this, since I don't believe he would ever have cooked it up - and we lose all our really decent pitching prospects, I'll resume using the barf-smiley. I have to think this is a Kendricks-Moorad PR-based decision to get fannies in the seats, because it sure as heck has nothing to do with winning or with long-term planning.

And unless RJ pays for his own extension, no way. Sheesh.

Chainthroer

Registered
Reaction score
I realize it can't be done, but the Yanks should give us picks to take him off their hands. He's not in their picture anymore and shouldn't be in ours either.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
The Yankees trade talks with the Diamondbacks have slowed over the structuring of a potential contract extension for Randy Johnson, a person with knowledge of the negotiations told the New York Daily News.
The D'Backs apparently would like to sign Johnson for 2008, but they want to be creative about it. For one thing, they have only about $10 million to spend in 2007 and Johnson is due $16 million. The Yankees could help there in return for more talent. Arizona could also try to do away with some of the $40 million in deferred money Johnson is still owed by the team, with a future stake in ownership one possibility. A trade remains likely if Johnson wants it to happen. According to the East Valley Tribune, the Yankees could settle for two players from a group of four pitchers: Brandon Medders, Dustin Nippert, Ross Ohlendorf and Micah Owings.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTcwNDkzODUmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2
Barring a last-minute snag Randy Johnson will be heading home to Arizona, with the Yankees reportedly satisfied with the package of players they'd get in return.

Whether the Yankees would pursue another starter before spring training remained unclear, but Johnson's two-year tenure in the Bronx seemed to be sprinting toward a conclusion Saturday.

According to various reports, the trade for Johnson hinged on the Diamondbacks' ability to give the Big Unit a one-year extension and to resolve terms of the deferred money they still owe him..

Messages left for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman were not returned, and efforts to reach Johnson's agent, Alan Nero, were unsuccessful.

However, the Yankees' talks with Arizona were said to have involved at least three young right-handers -- Brandon Medders, Micah Owings and Russ Ohlendorf -- with possibly two of them heading to the Bronx in exchange for the 43-year-old left-hander.

The Yankees also were engaged in serious discussions with the San Diego Padres.

Apparently, Arizona's willingness to provide the Yankees with Medders -- a major league pitcher of some significance -- and at least one top prospect has swayed them.

Medders, 26, suffered from shoulder weakness in last season's second half, but pitched in 60 games and went 5-3 with a 3.64 ERA.

In his two seasons with the Yankees -- who obtained him from Arizona in a trade -- Johnson went 34-19. His Bronx tenure, though, has been a mostly unpleasant one.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/story/484507p-407919c.html
The Yankees' possible trade of Randy Johnson to the Diamondbacks, a deal that appeared to be gaining steam toward the end of last week, has slowed over the structuring of a potential contract extension for Johnson, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations.

As part of an agreement for waiving his no-trade clause, Johnson is looking for an extension, but the Diamondbacks, who already owe Johnson about $40 million in deferred money, apparently are looking for a way to factor some of that cash into the extension, the source said. Arizona also is trying to convince the Yankees to kick in some of Johnson's $16 million salary for next season.

But if the Yankees are going to include money in the trade, they want at least three players back - either all bona fide prospects or two top prospects and a major leaguer who would help them this year, another baseball official said.

The Yankees have targeted three young pitchers in Arizona's talent-filled system - Dustin Nippert, Micah Owings and Ross Ohlendorf, all righthanders. Some published reports have them also liking righty reliever Brandon Medders, who has gone 9-4 with a 3.09 ERA in 87 games over the last two seasons.

Nothing has been been put in front of the pitcher, who has a full no-trade clause, another sign the deal has slowed. The Yankees have not given the Diamondbacks the customary 72-hour window to negotiate a new deal with Johnson, either, but likely would if one were imminent.

The Yankees have been working hard to complete a deal with the Diamondbacks because they believe Arizona has the most talent to offer. But two officials with knowledge of the talks said yesterday that the Padres aren't out of the running. San Diego was once thought to be the front-runner with perhaps reliever Scott Linebrink the bait, but Arizona moved ahead. It's unclear whether the Padres would do a contract extension with Johnson.

If the Yankees were to consummate a deal with Arizona, it would continue GM Brian Cashman's winter plan of stockpiling young pitching. Cashman already has added four young hurlers in the trades of Gary Sheffield and Jaret Wright.

Ohlendorf, 24, spent most of last season in Double-A and went 10-8 with a 3.29 ERA, striking out 125 and walking only 29 in 1772/3 innings. Nippert, 25, reached the majors for two starts last season and is thought to be a possibility for the Arizona rotation this year. He was 13-8 with a 4.87 ERA in Triple-A.

Owings, 24, was 16-2 with a 3.33 ERA between Double- and Triple-A last season and was 10-0 for Arizona's Triple-A team, which won the Pacific Coast League title.

Conflicting reports coming out of New York. Now, I am not against the Big Unit coming back to AZ. What I am really against is trading Owings for him. However, I do not hold Owings up in such high regard as everyone else. He will be a solid middle of the rotation starter who, during his best years might get 15 wins. I would be happiest with getting rid of Nippert who has not impressed at all. What I really cannot understand is why we are trading away some of our young pitching prospects. Even though none of them would be anything to write home about we could certainly trade from one of our strengths in the minors (i.e. OF) to help the rotation. It is not like the Yankees have a deep system anyway.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
If RJ doesn't stay healthy he may not get to 300 by the end of the 2008 season. It's gonna be close for him to win 20 over the next 2 seasons. That ERA of 5 won't win him 17 games in AZ, maybe 7 if he's lucky.

Isn't he on 280?

The last time RJ was aquired by the Dbacks everybody was concerned about his age and his health, ALL the talking heads said, "Horrible move, huge waste of money..."

But that was EIGHT years ago. I believe Randy will pitch as well as any other 4th starter around the league but how many other 4th starters would you give up 3 promising young pithers and 20-25 million over 2 years for?

IMO the Dbacks are grossly overestimating RJ's PR appeal as well. I remember the commentators relentlessly complaining during every one of his home starts in '04 about the low attendance.

If nobody was interested in '04 when he had something left in the tank why are we going to be interested now?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I do not hold Owings up in such high regard as everyone else. He will be a solid middle of the rotation starter who, during his best years might get 15 wins.

Isn't this basically what was predicted for Brandon Webb?

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
Isn't this basically what was predicted for Brandon Webb?

Actually, Webb was predicted to be a bottom of the rotation starter or middle reliever. The reason for this is because, as we have seen, with a better defense behind him, Webb is much more effective. However, Owings is not a ground-ball pitcher like Brandon, so his stats reflect more upon his pitching ability. While he has a good fastball, he gives up too many hits (in AAA hitters batted .291 against him). Don't get me wrong, he is a good prospect but he isn't a front of the rotation starter.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Actually, Webb was predicted to be a bottom of the rotation starter or middle reliever. The reason for this is because, as we have seen, with a better defense behind him, Webb is much more effective. However, Owings is not a ground-ball pitcher like Brandon, so his stats reflect more upon his pitching ability. While he has a good fastball, he gives up too many hits (in AAA hitters batted .291 against him). Don't get me wrong, he is a good prospect but he isn't a front of the rotation starter.

Yeah but you have to take in to account that it was his first stint up in AAA. Most minor league players agree that the transition from AA to AAA is by far the toughest. Down in AA he gave up less than a hit an inning, while after moving up to AAA he gave up a few more walks and also gave up more than a hit per inning. His ERA rose from 2.91 to 3.70, but that doesn't bother me. The kid went 10-0 in his first half-season of play in Tucson. That stat is what I think is most important. The kid was a winner in Tulane and has been a winner at every level in the minors. He is also an excellent hitter and I would hate to see him go to the Yankees. We need to hold on to him and in no way do I want to include him in a deal. Many of you guys underrate him which is expected because he hasn't proven anything in the major leagues. Considering we have a precious few pitching prospects, I would hate to give him up without seeing what he can do.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Yeah but you have to take in to account that it was his first stint up in AAA. Most minor league players agree that the transition from AA to AAA is by far the toughest. Down in AA he gave up less than a hit an inning, while after moving up to AAA he gave up a few more walks and also gave up more than a hit per inning. His ERA rose from 2.91 to 3.70, but that doesn't bother me. The kid went 10-0 in his first half-season of play in Tucson. That stat is what I think is most important. The kid was a winner in Tulane and has been a winner at every level in the minors. He is also an excellent hitter and I would hate to see him go to the Yankees. We need to hold on to him and in no way do I want to include him in a deal. Many of you guys underrate him which is expected because he hasn't proven anything in the major leagues. Considering we have a precious few pitching prospects, I would hate to give him up without seeing what he can do.

You hit the nail right on the head sir.

The guy has rose through the ranks, and looked like a man amongst boys in Tucson last season. Plus, they don't really need a top of the rotation starter as long as Webby is in town. If he can prove to be a solid #3, there's considerable value in that.

Sorry, but I want wins for the future, not PR.. If PR was what this is all about, they should have just kept Gonzo.

Last edited:

AZZenny

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

They go and change the colors to make a fresh start, why on earth would they bring RJ back? Just for a DBack in the HOF? Hmmmm -- in what DBacks uni? Purple? Red?

I loved Randy way back when. That was then - This is now. I want new.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SNAKE EYES
Sure, the idea of bringing Randy Johnson back to Arizona is intriguing. Even at 43, he can still pitch. You already owe the guy $40 million in deferred money, so he’s the most expensive Arizona pitcher whether he’s here or not.

But I have two words for the Diamondbacks: Walk away.

It will cost $16 million this year, plus Johnson wants an extension for 2008. It will cost at least two high pitching prospects. It will bring the ghost of the 2001 World Series – a page management worked hard to turn last fall.

And it will bring Johnson – barely palatable when he was a pampered, Cy Young winner, now surlier than ever after two years of sparring with the New York media.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=81553&PHPSESSID=840e25b67f00ee4eead06e38d355799b

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Yankees' possible trade of Randy Johnson to the Diamondbacks, a deal that appeared to be gaining steam toward the end of last week, has slowed over the structuring of a potential contract extension for Johnson, according to a person with knowledge of the negotiations. As part of an agreement for waiving his no-trade clause, Johnson is looking for an extension, but the Diamondbacks, who already owe Johnson about $40 million in deferred money, apparently are looking for a way to factor some of that cash into the extension, the source said. Arizona also is trying to convince the Yankees to kick in some of Johnson's $16 million salary for next season.
But if the Yankees are going to include money in the trade, they want at least three players back - either all bona fide prospects or two top prospects and a major leaguer who would help them this year, another baseball official said.
More to read here: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/484517p-407919c.html

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears that talks have slowed down from what they were just a couple days ago, hopefully that is a good omen and things will break down. He just isn't worth it when you consider the fact that Johnson will cost at least two decent players not to mention $16M this year (plus something like $12M next year, supposedly). Let the Padres give up what little youth they have for Johnson.

Status
Not open for further replies.