RJ back to Dbacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why if a trade is a bad idea then Byrnes is certainly not the one consummating it. He's still a rookie. :shrug:

OP
OP
Espo

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm confused as to why if a trade is a bad idea then Byrnes is certainly not the one consummating it. He's still a rookie. :shrug:
Because we all have a lot more faith in Byrnes and his vision for building the farm system i guess.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Byrnes has a lot of say in this trade and if he throws away pitching prospects for a 43-year old pitcher coming off back surgery and a bad knee, then I have no faith in him.

Let's not forget RJ wanted out of Arizona. He wanted to go to a team that had a chance to win. Now that he wants back, why should the Diamondbacks grant his wish? I would object to getting RJ unless it does not cost this team much. Why should we help the Yankees?

Last edited:

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Like I said.. The Diamondbacks got **** for him, but they turn around and give the Yankees gold in return for a guy who's REGRESSED since then.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
This whole thing is stupid!!!!

If the Dbacks want RJ in the rotation to put butts in the seats they should wait until next winter and sign him.

1. He'll be a free agent and we won't have the give the Evil Empire anything.
  2. We won't have to pay him the 16 millon he is owed.
  3. He isn't going to win 20 games this year so next year will be the year he goes over 3oo anyway.
  4. Next year he should be much more affordable.
THIS A WEAK PR MOVE, PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
IF this is true then Ken Kendrick and Jeff Morad have Byrnes by the balls or the Yankees have paid every penny of the Johnson contract.

It sure seems like this is all being perpetrated by Kendrick and/or Moorad. Byrnes will probably stand up at the presser and play nice but I can't believe he wants any of this.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I'm pretty meh on the whole thing. It seemed like the team didn't think that highly of Nippert, I know nothing about Owings, and moving Jackson allows for Chad Tracy to move into his natural position of 1st base.

My opinion will change depending on if RJ is willing to take a pay cut in order to get an extension and who else they get in the trade

Last edited:

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would trade both the Gonzalez's and Medders for him, they wanted two pitchers and a reliever and that's what I'd give them.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
:barf:

I'm still holding out hope that this rumor has zero substance since I haven't seen it reported by any major news service.

They can't be THAT stupid can they?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I haven't been very excited about CoJack in a while but I hate to see the Dbacks selling young talent for cash.

That's just pathetic and make no mistake about it that is exactly what that latest article is saying.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
:barf:

I'm still holding out hope that this rumor has zero substance since I haven't seen it reported by any major news service.

They can't be THAT stupid can they?

According to ESPN news the deal is near completion with hang up being the amount of money the Yankees will kick in deal and should happen before the new year.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
According to ESPN news the deal is near completion with hang up being the amount of money the Yankees will kick in deal and should happen before the new year.

This is my worst fear. The whole deal is about the Dbacks saving money.

Winning puts butts in seats! If RJ comes and we continue to flounder attendance will continue to drop and if Randy sucks nobody will pay to see him either!

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than giving up young assets for a 43 year old, $16M pitcher that just had another back surgery, why not go after Tomo Ohka? He's a free agent so he'll get an inflated deal due to this market, but he's only 30 and has a career ERA of 4.04. Surely he can match the production of Randy Johnson at this stage of his career, and we wouldn't have to trade any prospects to get Ohka.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than giving up young assets for a 43 year old, $16M pitcher that just had another back surgery, why not go after Tomo Ohka? He's a free agent so he'll get an inflated deal due to this market, but he's only 30 and has a career ERA of 4.04. Surely he can match the production of Randy Johnson at this stage of his career, and we wouldn't have to trade any prospects to get Ohka.

I agree.... I would even prefer Tony Armas Jr. at this stage... He's always low risk/high reward.... He wasnt plagued by many injuries last season and could come at a nice bargain....

With each passing moment, I'm becoming more and more against this trade, unless the Dbacks might have other corresponding moves set-up.....

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Gambo has just reported on Fox Sports Arizona that a deal indeed has been completed..

In the deal Arizona would acquire Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez and pitching prospect Phil Hughes for Brandon Medders, Tony Clark, Eric Byrnes and Chad Tracy. The kicker? The Yankees will be paying for all but 250,000 dollars of Rodriguez's and Johnson's contracts.

Not a bad deal for Arizona I'd say. I think they kinda paid a steep price though. Clark and Byrnes are unrepleacable.. And Medders? Boooo!

JuevAZD

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm the new guy :)

Callaspo at third and Tracy at first would not be so bad. Actually, I'd be pretty excited to see that play out. I've never been a big CJ fan. His body language and attitude always reminded me of Travis Lee.

However...

If the deal plays out how it has been rumored with Jackson and 2 pitchers, its a fraking fleecing, no matter how much of RJ's salary the Yanks would pay. I'd love to see Johnson back, but not at that price. If it happens, hopefully it will be Medders, Nippert, and a C+ to B level prospect and the Yankees paying some of the salary. I would be okay with that.

I agree with a lot of you guys. If Jackson is involved, this has a definite Kendrick/Moorad stench.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Callaspo at third and Tracy at first would not be so bad. Actually, I'd be pretty excited to see that play out. I've never been a big CJ fan. His body language and attitude always reminded me of Travis Lee.

However...

If the deal plays out how it has been rumored with Jackson and 2 pitchers, its a fraking fleecing, no matter how much of RJ's salary the Yanks would pay. I'd love to see Johnson back, but not at that price. If it happens, hopefully it will be Medders, Nippert, and a C+ to B level prospect and the Yankees paying some of the salary. I would be okay with that.

I agree with a lot of you guys. If Jackson is involved, this has a definite Kendrick/Moorad stench.

Welcome aboard. As for Callaspo playing third, I do not like it. First, has he ever played third and does he have a strong enough arm to play third every day? Also, I want the corner guys to have pop in their bats and he is not going to hit 20+ homers.

I like Conor. Last year was his first full season in the majors and he will only get better. He does need to work on his fielding but I think he'll be fine.

Last edited:

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

I've never been a big CJ fan. His body language and attitude always reminded me of Travis Lee.

At least Travis Lee was an excellent fielder. C. Jackson will never be a good fielder. He loses concentration too easily.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Travis Lee didn't hit .291 in his first full big league season (or ever, for that matter).

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Gambo has just reported on Fox Sports Arizona that a deal indeed has been completed..

In the deal Arizona would acquire Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez and pitching prospect Phil Hughes for Brandon Medders, Tony Clark, Eric Byrnes and Chad Tracy. The kicker? The Yankees will be paying for all but 250,000 dollars of Rodriguez's and Johnson's contracts.

Not a bad deal for Arizona I'd say. I think they kinda paid a steep price though. Clark and Byrnes are unrepleacable.. And Medders? Boooo!

I think its totally believable that CoJack is involved if the Yankees are going to pick up 6 million of RJ's deal. 6 million may not be much to the Yankees but that's a lot of bones to the Dbacks and the Yankees know it.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I think its totally believable that CoJack is involved if the Yankees are going to pick up 6 million of RJ's deal. 6 million may not be much to the Yankees but that's a lot of bones to the Dbacks and the Yankees know it.

Another thing that makes this believable is that the Dbacks supposedly have 10 million to spend.

Status
Not open for further replies.