Rob Housler

Black T

Reaction score
Guys Heap like.

Not on Todds level, but he shares many similarities. Think he will be a great TE for the Cardinals for years to come.

FINALLY we have TE's!

Jeez, all I can think about is 'what if' when we were making our superbowl run we had a good TE....seriously. That probably wouldve been the difference maker

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
Jeez, all I can think about is 'what if' when we were making our superbowl run we had a good TE....seriously. That probably wouldve been the difference maker
Considering that in the Superbowl we actually did throw a TD to one of our TEs, I can hardly think that position was the difference maker in the game.

Brian

PANEM ET CIRCENSES
Reaction score
One small negative about Housler: I noticed it in camp, he has VERY stiff hips. I was watching him on kick return and I singled him out (before I realized who he was) because he just has a hard time changing direction. Like I said, it's being nit-picky, but it's almost comical to watch live and in person.

TheHopToad

Россия отстой!
Reaction score
One small negative about Housler: I noticed it in camp, he has VERY stiff hips. I was watching him on kick return and I singled him out (before I realized who he was) because he just has a hard time changing direction. Like I said, it's being nit-picky, but it's almost comical to watch live and in person.
Which is one reason why he is a TE as opposed to a WR...

Black T

Reaction score
Considering that in the Superbowl we actually did throw a TD to one of our TEs, I can hardly think that position was the difference maker in the game.

Hey you never know

Just having one out there wouldve taken a smidge of pressure off our stacked WR core (at the time). wouldve been one more weapon either directly (is with the TD) or indirectly (someone the D has to account for).

I disagree, having a Housler or Heap out there mightve gotten us 2 more TDs through our WRs.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Don't believe that Dray is practice squad eligible. He made the active roster last year and played in at least as many games as Hall.
Dray is actually credited with 16 games played last year, although I don't remember him playing in that many.

I still think we will regret passing on Julius Thomas in the draft, but I'm warming up to Housler. His hands are much better than I anticipated. Whis saying Housler has an unusual level of understanding about the game is also a positive sign.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like this kid a lot.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing about Housler was that he wasn't high-profile coming out. He flew below almost everyone's radar, with only passing mention of his forty time at the Combine and was considered by many to be a one trick pony (i.e. he could run fast for his size).

In addition to his timed speed, he's turned out to not only catch everything near him in all kinds of traffic, and also looks silky smooth, runs crisp routes and seems to be in the right place at the right time. (We'll have to wait and see about his blocking).

Another unexpected notch on Steve Keim's belt.

Last edited:

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I see it too (thats why I wrote it lol). The nice thing is we have Heap for 2 seasons. HOPEFULLY when his contracts up Housler has become a good enough blocker to completely take over the number 1 spot and shoring up on TE spot for years to come with Larry and Kolb :D

Yeah but we wont have the cap space to sign him;)

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The thing about Housler was that he wasn't high-profile coming out. He flew below almost everyone's radar, with only passing mention of his forty time at the Combine and was considered by many to be a one trick pony (i.e. he could run fast for his size).

In addition to his timed speed, he's turned out to not only catch everything near him in all kinds of traffic, and also looks silky smooth, runs crisp routes and seems to be in the right place at the right time. (We'll have to wait and see about his blocking).

Another unexpected notch on Steve Keim's belt.

I'll admit I was one who thought that Housler was a suspect pick because CKW had never utilized a pass catching TE.

So I'm really excited about the apparent change in the use of our TE group. Just think the last 3 years our leading receiver for each year at TE had 11,12, and 15 catches respectively. For a team that threw the ball 1,784 times over those 3 years.

Housler has 7 catches in just 2 preseason games and Heap had two last week including a classic TE catch that has been missing from the Cards offense. The slant across the middle for 8 yards on first down setting up a 2nd and 2.

I hope this is something that continues into the regular season.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Somebody did their homework on this pick. He looks like he has been in the league for a while already. Smooth and stronger than I had anticipated.

I was one who didn't care for the pick. Thought it was a reach and better options were available.

I am right there with you. The whole TE thing happening like it did, has completely blown me away. I am stoked at the possibilities. Looks like we have at least two new TE's who can go over the middle and take the extra coverage away from Fitz. Its like having 'Q' back on the roster-----twice over. Now if we can find a reliable #2 to stretch the field, we are well prepared to field a wild receiving corps, (whether or not the #2 comes from our current roster). WHOOOOOOTTTT !!!!!

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am right there with you. The whole TE thing happening like it did, has completely blown me away. I am stoked at the possibilities. Looks like we have at least two new TE's who can go over the middle and take the extra coverage away from Fitz. Its like having 'Q' back on the roster-----twice over. Now if we can find a reliable #2 to stretch the field, we are well prepared to field a wild receiving corps, (whether or not the #2 comes from our current roster). WHOOOOOOTTTT !!!!!

Another thing Catfish, it might just be me, but Dray looks bigger this season and appears to be blocking better. I haven't really focused on him in watching the replays but that's the impression I get from the little I've seen of him.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
I feel they will keep 4 TE this year.
I have heard several times that King can play the H Back
and they will probably only keep 1 FB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats not hard when you are 6'5" and run like a WR and are being covered by LBers... :)

And good hands to boot. He's a natural TE.

yep but he has a feel for it too. Just like in basketball some guys are better moving without the ball than others, he seems to have that knack of knowing when to sit down, when to keeping going etc.

it's early but at this stage I see some Jay Novacek in him, when we drafted Jay it was he's too small to play TE but he's athletic and has good hands. Unfortunately about the time it became apparent he was going to be even better than Awalt, he became a Cowboy.

:mad:

Not saying Housler is going to be as good as Jay but he has that same sort of size, speed ratio and hands, and he just seems to get how to use his body to get open.

It's preseason I'm sure he will have a learning curve in real games but I'm real happy with him so far.

splitsecond

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
things that would confuse the hell out of opposing defenses: running a regular combo of heap/king or heap/dray in 2 TE scenarios, then suddenly busting heap/housler on them with Beanie in the backfield alone.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really questioned this pick when they selected him in the 3rd round. However so far I like what I see from him.

Catches the ball well.

Has deceptive speed for a bigger guy.

Finds the holes in the defense and makes it easy for the QB to get him the ball.

I believe we keep 4 TEs this year (Heap, Housler, King, Dray)

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
yep but he has a feel for it too. Just like in basketball some guys are better moving without the ball than others, he seems to have that knack of knowing when to sit down, when to keeping going etc.

it's early but at this stage I see some Jay Novacek in him, when we drafted Jay it was he's too small to play TE but he's athletic and has good hands. Unfortunately about the time it became apparent he was going to be even better than Awalt, he became a Cowboy.

:mad:

Not saying Housler is going to be as good as Jay but he has that same sort of size, speed ratio and hands, and he just seems to get how to use his body to get open.

It's preseason I'm sure he will have a learning curve in real games but I'm real happy with him so far.

I called it too. This kid reminds me of Novacek. He can be just as good. He's all ready pretty good.