Rob Housler

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So... now that Ryan Williams is hurt are we going to make Rob Housler the 2011 Buster Davis Memorial Overhyped Rookie?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... now that Ryan Williams is hurt are we going to make Rob Housler the 2011 Buster Davis Memorial Overhyped Rookie?

no he just seems right now to have been a very solid pick and given all the ripping he got on draft day I for one am glad that at least so far he appears to have been a solid choice.

I really like our first 3 picks I think Williams would have taken the job the from Beanie eventually, I'm very high on Peterson thought he was the best player in the draft. I knew nothing about Housler but what I've seen so far impresses me, so far he's one of those guys who just seems to alway be open.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
One thing that I've taken from the first two preseason games is that this guy is a smooth athlete with good hands and a potential matchup nightmare.

(But, of course, a wasted 3rd pick, according to some...;))

I believe "the some" got it totally wrong...this guy is the real deal and a ++
based on my observation

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Housler's a 5'3" Middle Linebacker? Didn't know that. ;)

I agree with Russ. I thought it was a real waste of a pick because CKW simply did not use his TEs as receivers. But so far I like what I've seen from both Housler and Heap and how they are being used.

We lost the throw short, run long aspect of our offense with Boldin. I'm hoping for Heap and Housler to bring that back as neither one looks like the kind of TE who catches a pass and falls down like we had before.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
I like enough to pick him up as my TE on a few FF teams of mine :)

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Housler is from a good highschool program here in San Antonio, TX known for turning out good football players, I think he had an advantage early on knowing how to understand the game and adapting to a playbook since he had the basics taught at a high level

Black T

Reaction score
Im one of those who hated this pick at the time. Thought we couldve gotten him in the 4th or 5th. At the time we had yet to pick up a pass rusher and he we are getting a TE from a nobody school? Really got on my nerves. Still does a little. I think Justin houston, or some other LB, was available at the time that I really wanted.

However, hes showing alot of promise. I honestly am still not 100% satisfied with the pick. Id say im 50-50 on him right now. happy hes doing well/unhappy we used our 3rd on him. So, he has to outperform expectations to live up to that 3rd round status.

I dont think guys realize the value of the 3rd rounders. Bill B. is a master because he a perfect drafter. Most of his talent comes in the 2nd+ rounds. The 2nd round is my personal favorite in the entire draft.

So Housler has ALOT to live up to. Hope he does

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Shaggy, unless Heap gets hurt, a distinct possibility, Housler won't put up big numbers. If you want a sleeper TE, go with Lance Kendricks of the Rams. He's the only decent TE on that team and seems a favorite of Bradford. I think Housler is either better or just as good but won't get the opportunities that Kendricks will get.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

I don't see any overhyping him. He's shown some nice skill catching the ball in preseason games. That's all anyone is saying at this point.

So far he's shown in limited opportunities, that he can be a real weapon in the passing game. He catches the ball with his hands, runs good routes, and has good speed. He seriously needs to learn to block, or he'll only be a subpackage guy, who limits what you can do offensively with him on the field.

PaulW

Veteran
Reaction score
I believe that Housler will work out of the slot in 4 wide receiver passing downs creating match up problems. His pass receiving skills, speed, and size are perfect when used as the Colts do with their tightends.