Rock and Roll Hall of You've Got to Be Kidding!

OP
OP
ajcardfan

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:shrug:

Rush has been eligible for the Hall since 1999 ...

They've never been put on the voting ballot. I'd say no one is really eligible until that happens. Alice Cooper never made it onto the ballot until this year.

And, thanks for the find on Lynyrd Skynryd. I guess I wasn't paying attention that year. :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They've never been put on the voting ballot. I'd say no one is really eligible until that happens. Alice Cooper never made it onto the ballot until this year.

Yeah, technically a musician or group is eligible for the Hall 25 years after the release of their first album.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
The Rock & Roll HoF reminds me of the Nobel Peace Prize...I don't pay either any mind.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Cardinals.Ken (below left) DCR (below right)

You must be registered for see images

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But Steely Dan got in, in spite of Steely Dan's objections. Actually, I guess Steely Dan wasn't objecting, they were promoting. It's hard to be sure with Becker and Fagan. Everything they write is an inside joke and we're all the butt of it.

To: Jann Wenner, Ahmet Ertegun, and The Commissioners
Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame
Date: 6/97

DBA Steely Dan, founded c. 1971

Gentlemen:

It has come to our attention that we are in possession of the largest privately owned collection of historically significant 3M digital multitrack tape recorders in the United States. As you are no doubt aware, machines of this type were the very first digital multitrack recorders available to the recording artist, and consequentially were used to make the earliest digital pop recordings. These particular machines (until recently in use at our private studios in New York City and the state of Hawaii) were used in the making of many historic albums, including the celebrated "Bop Til You Drop" by Ry Cooder, and Donald's "The Nightfly". It has recently been determined that the historical value of these fine recording instruments is so great as to eclipse their value in an actual workaday studio setting. It is our great pleasure to offer these recorders to the Rock'N'Roll Hall of Fame Museum, so that they may be viewed and enjoyed by all and so that they may be preserved for posterity. We are asking for no compensation in return for this donation, except the usual tax deductions which are outlined in "schedule A", enclosed.

Naturally the well-known and loved-by -millions Steely Dan albums for which we are famous were not recorded on these machines - after all, our career began in 1971, almost a decade before the advent of this digital technology, 1971 being the year we released "Can't Buy A Thrill", which included the beloved hits "Do It Again" and "Reelin' In The Years".

Incidentally it has been mentioned to us that we would be eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next year.

Back to the 3M machines - we have at least three multitracks and a 4 track - it would be hard to put a dollar value on these rare old beauties for the purposes of determining the appropriate tax deduction. No doubt there are experts at the Museum who could help us to ascertain just how valuable these machines truly are at this time. Written confirmation of our suspicion that the current value of these machines is in excess of $800,000 (they would be worth a lot more than that if they worked or even could be powered up) would be of great value to us. In fact, we would be willing to donate as much as $1500.00 to the Museum in exchange for such a document.

Incidentally, the "big green monsters" would make a splendid centerpiece for an exhibit celebrating the "Digital Age" or the "Age of Dan" or anything like that.

Furthermore, we are aware of the furor over this year's televised inductions into the Hall. In order to avoid any confusion in the event of our timely induction next year, we would like to clarify the following points:

1. It is our position that inductees who perform at a televised event must be adequately recompensed for their services. Anything short of that is un-American and contrary to the spirit of rock'n'roll. To wit, we would extend the traditional Hand-Across-The-Flyovers to an A.F.of M. brother who has taken a similar stand in this matter, Mr. Neil Young, and would also mention in passing that our fee for such an event would be in the middle six figure range, if that's okay.

2. We were wondering: is it necessarily the case that our entire original band would be inducted into the Hall, or would it be possible for just the two of us to receive this singular honor? After all, those other guys have been outee for a long time. In any case, it would not be possible to assemble the entire original ensemble - some members are definitively and permanently not available. If an entire band is needed, what about our current band? We are just getting ready to go in the studio with these guys and they play just great and look great too. As of about a month ago they were working with the fine Italian "blue-eyed"soul singer Pino Danielli. You're going to love them, we're absolutely sure.

3. If the original bandmembers are absolutely necessary, perhaps some of them could receive their statues or belts or whatever it is they get, off-camera, backstage, at some other place and/or time? What do you think about something like that?

4. You may be aware that, like Joni Mitchell, we have mounted an exhaustive search for any long lost female love-children of ours who may be out there somewhere, working away in anonymity at some modelling agency or as prospective starlets or whatever. If either one of us strikes paydirt in this department, you can bet that we will not be available for the induction ceremony, any more than Joni was. In this case, points 1-3 mentioned above would be non-operative.

5. We are taking the liberty of enclosing a check from our corporate account in the amount of $10,000.00 made out to Jann Wenner in this mailing so as to get the ball rolling sooner rather than later. We hope that will be okay. And by the way, Jann, that crate of homemade honey mustard is already on its way to you via FedEx, overnight priority 1, directly from our tables to your'n, so to speak. Enjoy!​
Thank you, Commissioners and fellow music lovers!

Donald Fagen & Walter Becker
Founding members, Steely Dan

From The Law Offices of Baldino, Losi, Lansky, Schultz & Madden
"It's Not Personal - It's Business!"

To Mr Jann Wenner et al
Re: Steely Dan Hall of Fame Induction

Gentlemen:

I have been asked by my clients Becker and Fagen to outline their position on the matter of their induction into the so-called Rock Hall of Fame. It is our hope that this matter can be resolved in a friendly and also a timely manner, without recourse to legal or illegal action. It is our sad experience at BLLS & M that illegal action begets legal action, and vice versa - so let's see if we can't come up with something that is in the interest of the commissioners and of my clients as well.

The situation as I understand it is this:

1. My clients Becker and Fagen have tendered an offer in good faith - namely, that in exchange for some recording equipment to be donated to the museum, for use in a display honoring their contributions to contemporary modern rock music, you and/or your representatives will do the following:

a) arrange to have the band Steely Dan perform at their induction ceremony, on the televised broadcast, for the sum of $380,000

b) provide a written appraisal of the value of the donated equipment at a figure not less than $950,000

c) guarantee that our clients will be allowed to determine precisely which bandmembers will be inducted into the Hall, and also who will be present at the telecast. Please note that our clients wish to exercise this prerogative in the case of other bands to be inducted into the Hall this coming year as well as Steely Dan, such as "The Eagles", etc. - that is, they will choose which members, if any, will be inducted, as they are determined to insure that the singular honor of inclusion into the Hall should not be diminished or diluted by the inclusion of nonessential bandmembers or other undeserving individuals.

d) will graciously welcome as inductees for 1998: the great Jimmy Carl Black; the groundbreaking Fugs; and the excellent writing team, Anders & Poncia.
2. It is our understanding that Mr Jann Wenner has accepted these terms and conditions on behalf of the Hall of Fame, by accepting from Messrs Becker and Fagen the following down payment: one case of Yurgulun's Best Honey Mustard, manufactured in Connecticut. The 3M machines are en route to Mr Wenner's hunting lodge in Colorado - it is believed that the machines may actually fire up under the reduced atmospheric pressure at Jann's high altitude mountain aerie. The machines should be arriving C.O.D. sometime around September 1.

So, gentlemen, it appears that a deal has been consummated and my clients and I are awaiting the agreed-upon compensation (deposit for live performance fee, remuneration for consultations to the B of D of the Hall of Fame, etc.; total due = $700,000 now, $700,000 after the show, plus air fares and expenses). If there are any questions I can be reached at my horse ranch in the Adirondacks at: 914-387- 6423.

Thank you for your consideration
Joseph "Uncle Joe" Stephano, Esq.

Last edited:

Ghraxx

Reaction score
Neil Diamond? Darlene Love? Dr. John? Seriously?

While legends like Rush and Lynyrd Skynyrd continue to be ignored! :bang:

They did get one right with Alice Cooper this year.

I agree for lynyrd skynyrd but i dont agree for rush. I've just never been that into them.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05