Rumor: Bledsoe trade to Lakers

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
What is Dragic's claim to fame? Is it his great year running the team? Nope. It's his 4th quarter barrage against the Spurs in the playoffs. And he was basically a shooting guard in that quarter of that game, so it's not like he can't play SG.

For most of his points (before Nash came in) Dragic was playing with Barbosa in that QTR. So are you saying Barbosa was running point and Dragic was at SG during that time?

I think quite the opposite...

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
For most of his points (before Nash came in) Dragic was playing with Barbosa in that QTR. So are you saying Barbosa was running point and Dragic was at SG during that time?

I think quite the opposite...

What's your definition of a point guard? Whatever it is, it definitely wasn't what Dragic was doing in that quarter.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Agreed and I think we would be better off giving him 4/60 than that, because the increased salary cap in a couple years would make a 15 mil salary a bargain for Bled's production. Obviously there is the concern with his knees, but if the team comes to terms on a contract similar to that than I think that should at least give us some confidence considering the team was willing to invest that much in him.

Man, just don't see what Bledsoe has done to warrant a deal at $15 million per... Seriously, the guy has skills. But what has he actually done? And offensively, while he has an amazing ability to get to the rim, he can't be considered a high quality shooter by any stretch.
I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with a deal at that figure, either with the Suns or in a sign & trade... But IMHO, it would be a stretch - maybe even a significant stretch...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So here we are:

1. Eric is not going to get a max offer. I do not even think he is going to get an offer over 4/48.
2. If a team wants to give him more, they will likely want to work out a sign and trade. This may have happened already, but the Suns are not going to give Eric up without something coming back in return. If he does get a larger s&t offer, the Suns might match that (less salary they would have to take back).
3. He is not signing QO. If he does, the league should de-certify his agent.
4. So, it will happen, it might take time, but Eric is coming back, maybe at a slightly larger deal than 4/48. Maybe 4/51 or something.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You lost me here.

Yeah, I figured that was not very clear. Let's say he gets an offer from a team that is over the cap, and they are willing to pay him 4/63 (like Hayward got). That team is willing to do a sign and trade with the Suns and give some assets, maybe picks, a young player or something. But they will also want the Suns to take back salary in order to do the s&t, and it will probably be "dead" salary--an overpriced contract, injured player (Okafor) or something.

In that scenario, that team is not really paying Bledsoe that max deal. They are shedding unwanted salary in the process. Let's say it's a $6 million dollar contract.

The Suns could say, "OK. Your market value is 4/57. The offer you got, minus the bad contract the team wants to give up. We'll pay you 4/57 to stay."

I know its a bit convoluted, and doesn't make sense, because the Suns do not have to do ANY s&t if they don't want to. Its just that s&t offers are not really true real market offers because they almost always include dumping unwanted salary from the team the FA wants to go to.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I figured that was not very clear. Let's say he gets an offer from a team that is over the cap, and they are willing to pay him 4/63 (like Hayward got). That team is willing to do a sign and trade with the Suns and give some assets, maybe picks, a young player or something. But they will also want the Suns to take back salary in order to do the s&t, and it will probably be "dead" salary--an overpriced contract, injured player (Okafor) or something.

In that scenario, that team is not really paying Bledsoe that max deal. They are shedding unwanted salary in the process. Let's say it's a $6 million dollar contract.

The Suns could say, "OK. Your market value is 4/57. The offer you got, minus the bad contract the team wants to give up. We'll pay you 4/57 to stay."

I know its a bit convoluted, and doesn't make sense, because the Suns do not have to do ANY s&t if they don't want to. Its just that s&t offers are not really true real market offers because they almost always include dumping unwanted salary from the team the FA wants to go to.

I thought I understood your point but now I'm confused. Where's his motivation for taking less? I can see our motivation for offering less but in your scenario, his offer is real at 63 as far as he's concerned?

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

Thanks for the clarification. But:

1. If the stuff that the other team is sending back to the Suns has negative value, why would they agree to the sign-and-trade? If another team wants to sign Bledsoe to 4/63 and needs help, they have to give up something good, not dump garbage.

2. Even if the Suns were able to convince Bledsoe that an offer of 4/63 represents a true market value of 4/57, what does he care? He can get 63 instead of 57.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. But:

1. If the stuff that the other team is sending back to the Suns has negative value, why would they agree to the sign-and-trade? If another team wants to sign Bledsoe to 4/63 and needs help, they have to give up something good, not dump garbage.

2. Even if the Suns were able to convince Bledsoe that an offer of 4/63 represents a true market value of 4/57, what does he care? He can get 63 instead of 57.

1. We wouldn't. Yes, they would have to give up something good.
2. Eric says, "Hey my market value is 4/63! See someone was willing to pay it." Our answer is, "No, your market value is 4/57, they wanted us to take back salary." I know he wouldn't care. Its just a way to negotiate.

Sorry, this is not really worthy of that much discussion. Sorry I brought it up.