Rumor: Coaches who left, will not get SB bonus money

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
This report is now circulating on the internet. The articles even go back and quote from FS Robert Griffith who blasted the organization for being so cheap that they charged him for the mailing of his contract and locked the gatorade fridge on off days.

If this is indeed true, shame on the Cardinal FO.

Can there be even more acrimony following what was a magical year?
The Robert Griffith Story has been thouroughly debunked...

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
In this case, 40, they should. Heck, even Indy gave Edge a Super Bowl ring the year after he left. Class is class, plain and simple.

The players voted to give it to him, which ownership followed up on, which I think it s bit different

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Players and coaches who make it to the Super Bowl get a share, if you're in it you earn it.

I'm not sure if this is what they are talking about or something else, but the share would traditionally be paid even if you left, if you are talking some organization bonus then sure but a SB share is like a World Series share, it's given to the team to pay to the players.

I can't believe they wouldn't pay that.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
Sorry Mitch, but you are wrong about this. Quit or fired, it doesn't make any difference. Businesses don't pay bonuses to people who are no longer employed there.

If you're talking about how a SB share is paid out then no it's not like a business.

Teams are together one year at a time, the money goes to the team and the organization distributes it.

Not paying it out just because a coach left or was fired after the SB is beyond cheap and I'd like to see other examples of it if this is what they did.

I doubt you're going to find any.

NMCard

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You would think the Cards would spend a little money to try and avoid the negative publicity. After all those coaches were "team players" during the run to the super bowl. I wonder if the cards would have even bought those guys SB ring had they won?

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only acrimony is the one being created by the media. Antonio Smith was on the radio the other day saying how he loved the organization. Warner says he doesn't want to play elsewhere.

They are clearly doing something right.

You bet they are.

I used the word Hacks in another posting a minute ago. First of all if one gets any information from that rag...they are barking up the wrong tree. That is the equivalent The Star. The reporters are overall worthless and like to start rumors and bs because they think it sells. Well see how many newspapers, etc are left by the end of the year. People are tired of reading the feces starting on page 1 and working its way through the Toy Department which we all enjoy.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're talking about how a SB share is paid out then no it's not like a business.

Teams are together one year at a time, the money goes to the team and the organization distributes it.

Not paying it out just because a coach left or was fired after the SB is beyond cheap and I'd like to see other examples of it if this is what they did.

I doubt you're going to find any.

If you are talking about the money they get paid for playing in the SB, they get that immediately after the SB. I thought you were talking about bonus money the Cards were handing out. I'm sure everyone has already received their shares.

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ugh, just got a call from an old buddy who said this info will hit the news outlets soon.

I don't know how reliable this information is, but could be a PR nightmare for this team if true.

Surely this has happened before. What is the precedent or the norm? I would be for doing what most teams normally do. I know in baseball that former coaches often not only get the money they are often given the ring. Of course, we are not the normal team.

starraz

Rookie
Reaction score
We have to realize that PFT is a BLOG and not an actually reliable site for news. It is unfortuate that so many people go there for facts. When I go there, I take it for what is actually states. RUMOURS.

starraz

Rookie
Reaction score
Here is the comment I posted on the PFT article. It has not shown up yet... I am sure due to the reasons mentioned in my comment. :)

This coming from the owner of a website that won't fork out enough cash to keep his site up and stable. I hope your provider is cutting you a hell of a deal to make your readers have to chase your articles through 3 different sites during one of the most busy traffic events in your history.

I agree the Cards owners are historically cheap, but seriously, something comes to mind about rocks and glass houses here...

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Here was my comment:

Ha you PFT hacks get PWNED! Do some research before you spew you junk Florio! Its time to go back to Journ101.

Kent Somers Playoff sharesA source is denying a report by profootballtalk.com that assistants who left the team after the season were not paid Super Bowl bonuses.

The position coaches who left each received $117,000, the full share for the playoffs, the source said. In question, however, might be the two coordinators, Todd Haley and Clancy Pendergast, who each had bonus clauses in their contracts for playoff performances.

Included in those contracts was a specific clause saying the coaches couldn’t collect both the full playoff bonuses spelled out in their contracts and the full share payable to all assistants One would offset the other. So Haley, the offensive coordinator, and Pendergast, the defensive coordinator, each received a total of $190,000 in bonuses, according to the source.

Toro

Registered
Reaction score
Only if it in your employment contract.

If not, you quit, you lose. I know folks that will not quit around bonus time.

If it is in their contract, they will get the bonus. Their contracts will say when the bonus is paid and mostly likely the fact that they need to be a employee at the time the bonus is paid.

In this case, Clancy deserves his bonus since he got fired.

Dayman

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009...-cardinals-story-but-we-stand-by-it/#comments

“SOURCE” DENIES OUR CARDINALS STORY, BUT WE STAND BY IT

Posted by Mike Florio on March 3, 2009, 9:39 p.m. EST
Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic has posted an item in response to our story about the stiffing of Cardinals assistants who left the team after the Super Bowl.
Here’s what he said: “A source is denying a report by profootballtalk.com that assistants who left the team after the season were not paid Super Bowl bonuses.”
Though it’s regarded as a breach of etiquette among writers to speculate about sources because if such speculation is accurate the sources in question have a tendency to stop being sources, it’s pretty clear to us that Somers’ unnamed “source” is someone with the organization, given Somers’ use of the term “denying.”
The subject of an allegation “denies” it. Third parties who aren’t being accused of doing anything would “dispute” or “debunk” or “discredit.”
And given that Somers covers that Cardinals and that the affected employees no longer work for the Cardinals, it’s even more reasonable to think that he simply called someone in the front office, ran the gist of our story by the “source,” and accepted the response at face value.
But we wonder whether Somers has tried to contact each of the persons who left the organization, voluntarily and involuntarily, after the Super Bowl. Or whether Somers has contacted the league office to see if there’s any type of a dispute brewing over all of this. (We don’t know whether there is, but it would be a reasonable place to check.)
Bottom line? We put more effort into confirming this one than usual, given that the subject matter is a bit sensitive. (Then again, it’s not the first time “Cardinals” and “cheap” have been used in the same paragraph.) And we stand by this one, fully and completely.
Indeed, in the wake of Somers’ item, we have received assurances from our sources that the story is accurate.
So, again, we stand by it.
We wonder whether Somers will do the same after talking to any of the folks who left.

This could get interesting. It sounds like Florio's coming unglued.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great...the stupid radio douchebags were drooling all over this. ****** Dale Haterstrae was slobbering on about it on 1060.

You won't here an effing peep from them about it though now...yet all the sheeple will be crowing about this as an example of how the organization is soooo cheap. They'll say "they didn't want to pay Warner a bonus he almost earned, they made players pay for fed ex cost for contracts, they didn't pay their coaches bonuses...blah blah blah." False, false, false. But no...cheap old Bidwells, same ol' cards."

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009...-cardinals-story-but-we-stand-by-it/#comments

This could get interesting. It sounds like Florio's coming unglued.

Notice how he is so careful not to say anything about his sources and then suggests Somers should contact the individuals involved while admitting he hasn't contacted them? He is trying to be clever while standing up for information he printed without really verifying it.

One of the guys from this board who lambasted him must have really gotten his goat. Way to go guys.:thumbup:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Notice how he is so careful not to say anything about his sources and then suggests Somers should contact the individuals involved while admitting he hasn't contacted them? He is trying to be clever while standing up for information he printed without really verifying it.

One of the guys from this board who lambasted him must have really gotten his goat. Way to go guys.:thumbup:

Well, sooner or later, someone is going to ask Haley and Pendergast directly what happened. Hopefully, they say they were paid in full and treated fair and square. I don't want it to be a situation where the Cards were within their rights, but were penny-wise and pound foolish. Like they were when they sued ASU.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sooner or later, someone is going to ask Haley and Pendergast directly what happened. Hopefully, they say they were paid in full and treated fair and square. I don't want it to be a situation where the Cards were within their rights, but were penny-wise and pound foolish. Like they were when they sued ASU.

Funny, I didn't have a problem with that.;)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny, I didn't have a problem with that.;)

Yeah, they got a few thousand bucks out of it. But just from the people I know that scorned the Cards forever after that... it was a lot of ill will which was so unnecessary. My former boss had a suite and he'll never go to a Cards game again.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
In this case, 40, they should. Heck, even Indy gave Edge a Super Bowl ring the year after he left. Class is class, plain and simple.

You can play the worlds smallest violin for these millionaires. Sure it would be nice maybe even classy but anyone who is going to act like there is some great evil in a team not doing it really doesn't seem to understand how the world works. How about giving their bonus money to someone who needs it like the starving children in Africa instead of whining about millionaires missing out on a little extra cash?

perivolaki

perivolaki
Reaction score
You know it's easy to pile on the Cardinals for being cheap even when it isn't true but you rarely hear the storys about when they're not cheap.

I heard Mike Jureki report around the time of the Super Bowl that the Cardinals gave every employee of the organization two tickets to the Super Bowl, round trip airline tickets to Tampa, and a hotel suite.

I don't know how many employees they have but I'm sure it's a bunch and it had to cost them a pretty penny.

The thing with the bonus and Pendergast is kind of interesting and it would surprise me if it were true. The Bidwills and the Pendergast family have a business relationship apart from football and even though Whiz fired him I think they would do all they can to keep that relationship on solid ground.