Rush Limbaugh Resigns From Sunday Countdown

Jim O

Reaction score
Rush resigned his spot as idiot on ESPN's Sunday Countdown. I just saw it on the ESPN Bottom Line.

OP
OP
Jim O

Jim O

Reaction score
Rush Limbaugh Resigns

ESPN.com news services

In the wake of his controversial statements regarding Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb, Rush Limbaugh has resigned from his position on ESPN's NFL pregame show. ESPN has accepted the resignation.

Limbaugh issued a statement late Wednesday night in which he wrote:

"My comments this past Sunday were directed at the media and were not racially motivated. I offered an opinion. This opinion has caused discomfort to the crew, which I regret.

"I love NFL Sunday Countdown and do not want to be a distraction to the great work done by all who work on it.

"Therefore, I have decided to resign. I appreciate the opportunity to be a part of the show and wish all the best to those who make it happen."

George Bodenheimer, President, ESPN and ABC Sports, issued the following response:

"We accept his resignation and regret the circumstances surrounding this. We believe that he took the appropriate action to resolve this matter expeditiously."

dopleganger

Veteran
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
On offense Jim, but does anyone even watch this show?

No they don't Jim. Nor do thay care. And no they were not even offended. Not really, they just love to take pot shots at people they perceive to be right wing wackos. Ohh did I spell "perceive" right? Hmm did I spell "wackos" right? Hmm know what - I don't care. K.M.A.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow m- what a puss move by Limbaugh - any shred of respect I have for him as a guy who says what he wants and pumps himself up that way and then resigns over a comment loses any credibility and the niche that made him what he is. Jeez man - if you're gonna say something like that and your act is to be controversial, make them fire your ass - now he just looks two thousand times dumber IMO - puss.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jim Omohundro
Rush resigned his spot as idiot on ESPN's Sunday Countdown. I just saw it on the ESPN Bottom Line.

Jim:

Well, so much for that little experiment. Give Limbaugh credit for realizing he'd stepped in it up to his waist, and getting the hell outta there.

I'm only surprised he lasted four weeks into the season before saying something this ignorant and offensive. To anyone not sharing his particular POV, that is.

WC

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cardinals.Ken
On offense Jim, but does anyone even watch this show?

I do. With the exception of Irvin's chest pounding, it's generally very insightful. Jaws can break down a play for the audience without dumbing it down--he's the best in the business at that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Both CNN and the local NYC TV news shows led with this story this morning.

Funny thing is - as diametrically opposed as I am to Limbaugh on most issues and as much as I feel he deserves to get roasted early and often for his comments - I don't feel Mr. Limbaugh's views and comments on race or the media - in and of itself - warranted his being dumped or encouraged to resign.

A big "however" -

I felt his assessment of McNabb's ability betrayed a total lack of football knowledge (certainly enough to make people question is credentials as commentator on something as widely viewed as MNF).

And his focus - on "the media" and implication that liberal-bias was the reason why McNabb is so highly regarded - is a clear indication that the dude's head is much more into politics than football.

As such, he's much better suited for his own afternoon political talk show than he is wasting our time pretending to be a football commentator.

I'm glad he's outtahere.

Last edited: