S.A. Columnist: Nash evades responsibility by playing the victim

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Buck Harvey, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

Steve Nash will be the victim again, and that’s not all bad. He’s good at it.

He’s the unlucky No. 13 who endured the bloody nose, the Bruce Bowen knee and the Robert Horry hip-check. He had to suffer last year’s suspension, as well as a decade of losses to the Spurs, first out of Dallas and later Phoenix.

Tuesday will add to that. He lost, but look at his numbers. Can’t the guy get a break?

But there are other numbers, such as in the third quarter. Then, with the Suns in the lead, kwith Nash on the floor, with the two-time MVP in control, the Suns came apart and spit up another chance.

Then, again, Nash was the victim.

Of better guards.

Nash won’t get blamed the way, say, Tracy McGrady does. Nash is small and Canadian and a nice guy. He is also a friend of the planet; he introduced a line of recycled sneakers this week.

Besides, he finished with 23 points and 10 assists Tuesday, and it’s far easier to point at other Suns who failed. Leandro Barbosa, continuing what he did a year ago against the Spurs, missed all seven of his shots.

Phoenix also kept going to Boris Diaw, and he kept coming up with little. One memorable post-up was against his French buddy, Tony Parker, and Parker scrapped and caused a turnover.

Parker did a few other things, too, such as lead the Spurs with 32 points. He also sprinted as the in-seven-seconds-or-less Suns were supposed to.

The stat of the night: The Spurs ended with 23 fast-break points, and the Suns just four.

There was time Nash would have been the one with a quick dribble and bullet pass. That’s how he won everyone over. He ran the most entertaining offense in pro basketball.

He impressed the crowd, too, when he scored 31 in the bloody-nose game last year. But it’s that perception — with him as the victim — that makes people forget what else happened last year.

Such as Game 5. Then, with both Amaré Stoudemire and Diaw suspended, the Suns took a 9-point lead in the fourth quarter on the Spurs and lost by three.

Poor Steve? He was 6 of 19 with three turnovers.

In Game 6 last year the Suns had no excuses. Stoudemire and Diaw were back and fresher than anyone in the series, and Horry was still suspended.

Stoudemire held up. He finished with 38 points, similar to Tuesday’s 33.

Nash had his moments on his way to 14 assists. Once he not only went behind his back, but Tim Duncan’s, too, while whipping a pass to Stoudemire for a dunk and three-point play.

But he mixed in five turnovers, and he was no match then for Parker and Manu Ginobili. Then, a year ago, Parker went for 30 and Ginobili for 33.

Saturday’s opener was no different, as Nash made just 9 of 20, albeit with one perfect detail. Playing the role of the victim again, Nash was still recovering from the flu.

Still, Parker and Ginobili combined for 50 in that one, then they followed for another 61 Tuesday night. Given this trend, exactly who has been the best guard on the floor?

It’s a tossup, all right. Either Parker or Ginobili.

Nash came back with some plays to pull the Suns close late in the fourth quarter Tuesday. But that third quarter should hang on Nash more than on any Sun. Then Phoenix came out with a 7-point lead and promptly made 1 of a dozen shots. Nash threw in the one, a tough fade.

But he also dribbled the basketball off one of his recycled sneakers, and he failed at running an offense and setting up scorers.

I would actually have some respect for this article if he came out and said what we ALL now he really thinks, which is nash gets a break because he's a small white guy.

Shzm13

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash does get away with a lot of things though.. He's absolutely horrible on defense. Especially on Parker..

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As bad as Nash is on Parker, Barbosa is worst... considering he doesnt do much except put up nothing against the Spurs, he also let Parker score him. Nash, is bad... gets penetrated more than a cheap hooker, but he scores, makes passes.. still not enough... but Barbosa is a negative liability.. I dont even think you can have a negative liability... but I suppose if a liability on defense but a huge contributor in the offense, you end up with 0... negative liability, means no positive contribution what so ever.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As bad as Nash is on Parker, Barbosa is worst... considering he doesnt do much except put up nothing against the Spurs, he also let Parker score him. Nash, is bad... gets penetrated more than a cheap hooker, but he scores, makes passes.. still not enough... but Barbosa is a negative liability.. I dont even think you can have a negative liability... but I suppose if a liability on defense but a huge contributor in the offense, you end up with 0... negative liability, means no positive contribution what so ever.
Parker is much faster than Nash, so that makes Nash's problems defending him a lot more acceptable than LB who has comparable speed to Parker.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^ I know.

Nash for an NBA player has very short arms, and isnt as quick or fast as Parker anymore anyways. Still top notch ball control, but in defense the combo of lacking good reach and speed/quickness.... well its a disaster... not only that, he isnt built solidly like a Billups, Marbury or Deron Williams.. even Chris Paul... those guys have a solid physical frame can bang body to body... Nash?.. well he might break a rib or 2 when he does it..

Barbosa has the length, speed, quickness, agility... BUT NO Knowledge what so ever on playing defense...

I think playing for D'Antoni has affected him a lot... on a coach like Larry brown, Popovic... Barbosa might be a mirror copy of Parker....

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think playing for D'Antoni has affected him a lot... on a coach like Larry brown, Popovic... Barbosa might be a mirror copy of Parker....

he's not mentally tough enough to withstand the heat of those types of coaches. for god's sake, he has to have a wet nurse (dan dan) on the bench just to get him to where he is today (a friggin' turtle).

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
he's not mentally tough enough to withstand the heat of those types of coaches. for god's sake, he has to have a wet nurse (dan dan) on the bench just to get him to where he is today (a friggin' turtle).
Pretty much. We all can wish upon a star for a new coaching staff and culture change but the fact remains that doing such is going to require a massive overhaul of the personnel. That includes Barbosa and perhaps even Nash and may set the franchise back a few years.

As far as the article goes, I agree with it to a certain extent. I think we all can agree that porous defense has been the dominating factor behind the D'Antoni/Nash Era playoff exits and Steve has gotten a free pass from the media for his part if the defensive woes. However I think the persecution complex the entire Suns organization sans Steve Kerr seems to have comes straight from Mike D'Antoni.

They say teams take on the personality of their coach. And when your coach *******, moans, throws tantrums, and generally blames others for the misfortunes of the team from the opening tip until the clock runs out then it should come as no surprise that his players do not take responsibility for their own play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Pretty much. We all can wish upon a star for a new coaching staff and culture change but the fact remains that doing such is going to require a massive overhaul of the personnel. That includes Barbosa and perhaps even Nash and may set the franchise back a few years.

As far as the article goes, I agree with it to a certain extent. I think we all can agree that porous defense has been the dominating factor behind the D'Antoni/Nash Era playoff exits and Steve has gotten a free pass from the media for his part if the defensive woes. However I think the persecution complex the entire Suns organization sans Steve Kerr seems to have comes straight from Mike D'Antoni.

They say teams take on the personality of their coach. And when your coach *******, moans, throws tantrums, and generally blames others for the misfortunes of the team from the opening tip until the clock runs out then it should come as no surprise that his players do not take responsibility for their own play.

amen

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score

This is so true... I almost want to cry, or put my hand through the wall. I can't decide.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would actually have some respect for this article if he came out and said what we ALL now he really thinks, which is nash gets a break because he's a small white guy.

He did:

Nash won’t get blamed the way, say, Tracy McGrady does. Nash is small and Canadian and a nice guy. He is also a friend of the planet;

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with you completely on that. I don't say it, because people will say I'm trolling and get pissy, but I think a lot of the problems stem from Pringles.

And while people complain about the refs, do you REALLY think the refs are going to break the Suns way on a "could-go-either-way" type call when Mike is jumping around on the sidelines like the Suns Monkey after EVERY call, no matter how clearly right or clearly wrong it is? I don't think they are so keen to give the benefit of the doubt. He not allows the "oh no, here we go again" mindset...he encourages it by example.

I thought it was very dumb of him to talk about the game on Saturday as if the Suns had won it...since the game he said things like "we beat them three times now with Shaq" and "we beat them again on Saturday." That's a horrible mindset. You don't beat anyone unless the buzzer goes off and you have more points. It's excusing mental lapses and not getting up in his team's junk and coaching them.

With any of a number of other coaches, and the talent the Suns have, you should have had a title by now.

nowagimp

Reaction score
Buck Harvey, SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS

Steve Nash will be the victim again, and that’s not all bad. He’s good at it.

He’s the unlucky No. 13 who endured the bloody nose, the Bruce Bowen knee and the Robert Horry hip-check. He had to suffer last year’s suspension, as well as a decade of losses to the Spurs, first out of Dallas and later Phoenix.

Tuesday will add to that. He lost, but look at his numbers. Can’t the guy get a break?

But there are other numbers, such as in the third quarter. Then, with the Suns in the lead, kwith Nash on the floor, with the two-time MVP in control, the Suns came apart and spit up another chance.

Then, again, Nash was the victim.

Of better guards.

Nash won’t get blamed the way, say, Tracy McGrady does. Nash is small and Canadian and a nice guy. He is also a friend of the planet; he introduced a line of recycled sneakers this week.

Besides, he finished with 23 points and 10 assists Tuesday, and it’s far easier to point at other Suns who failed. Leandro Barbosa, continuing what he did a year ago against the Spurs, missed all seven of his shots.

Phoenix also kept going to Boris Diaw, and he kept coming up with little. One memorable post-up was against his French buddy, Tony Parker, and Parker scrapped and caused a turnover.

Parker did a few other things, too, such as lead the Spurs with 32 points. He also sprinted as the in-seven-seconds-or-less Suns were supposed to.

The stat of the night: The Spurs ended with 23 fast-break points, and the Suns just four.

There was time Nash would have been the one with a quick dribble and bullet pass. That’s how he won everyone over. He ran the most entertaining offense in pro basketball.

He impressed the crowd, too, when he scored 31 in the bloody-nose game last year. But it’s that perception — with him as the victim — that makes people forget what else happened last year.

Such as Game 5. Then, with both Amaré Stoudemire and Diaw suspended, the Suns took a 9-point lead in the fourth quarter on the Spurs and lost by three.

Poor Steve? He was 6 of 19 with three turnovers.

In Game 6 last year the Suns had no excuses. Stoudemire and Diaw were back and fresher than anyone in the series, and Horry was still suspended.

Stoudemire held up. He finished with 38 points, similar to Tuesday’s 33.

Nash had his moments on his way to 14 assists. Once he not only went behind his back, but Tim Duncan’s, too, while whipping a pass to Stoudemire for a dunk and three-point play.

But he mixed in five turnovers, and he was no match then for Parker and Manu Ginobili. Then, a year ago, Parker went for 30 and Ginobili for 33.

Saturday’s opener was no different, as Nash made just 9 of 20, albeit with one perfect detail. Playing the role of the victim again, Nash was still recovering from the flu.

Still, Parker and Ginobili combined for 50 in that one, then they followed for another 61 Tuesday night. Given this trend, exactly who has been the best guard on the floor?

It’s a tossup, all right. Either Parker or Ginobili.

Nash came back with some plays to pull the Suns close late in the fourth quarter Tuesday. But that third quarter should hang on Nash more than on any Sun. Then Phoenix came out with a 7-point lead and promptly made 1 of a dozen shots. Nash threw in the one, a tough fade.

But he also dribbled the basketball off one of his recycled sneakers, and he failed at running an offense and setting up scorers.

Only a basketball moron would place success/failure at the feet of one player if his teammates arent doing their job or are not there. Kobe Bryant didnt win a playoff series since shaq left, is kobe a bum? Of course not, hes the best player in the game by almost unanimous opinion of all NBA professionals, and TMAC isnt a bum either. Basketball is a team game its not boxing. If you dont have supporting players doing their jobs, nobody, not even the best player in the league, can be the reason for failure. Sure, Manu and TP didnt have an offensive threat to guard all game unless you consider a guy trying to pass an offensive threat or you consider Raja Bell on a bad wheel a go to guy. Who actually made these guys play defense? what I saw was TD covering their backs when Nash dribble penetrated. Certainly manu didnt play lights out defense on grant hill(1 shot taken). Hill had plenty of open shots with the spurs packing th lane area, he just knew his groin injury limited his shooting ability. No, steve nash was the only GUARD of the 3 who had to defend an all star offensive player. Manu sure did look terrific while being guarded by a guy with a bum wheel. Did TP score off of LB or just nash? Were screens set and were the suns defensers switching properly? Was nashs help defense as good as Parkers or manus? Of couse Buck doesnt understand any of those questions, he's a basketball moron bandwagon fan making a living by beating a drum. Thats OK suns writers can be morons as well, nothing new there.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can people stop saying Bell's injured. Dude looks like he has all season... old.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I agree with you completely on that. I don't say it, because people will say I'm trolling and get pissy, but I think a lot of the problems stem from Pringles.

And while people complain about the refs, do you REALLY think the refs are going to break the Suns way on a "could-go-either-way" type call when Mike is jumping around on the sidelines like the Suns Monkey after EVERY call, no matter how clearly right or clearly wrong it is? I don't think they are so keen to give the benefit of the doubt. He not allows the "oh no, here we go again" mindset...he encourages it by example.

I thought it was very dumb of him to talk about the game on Saturday as if the Suns had won it...since the game he said things like "we beat them three times now with Shaq" and "we beat them again on Saturday." That's a horrible mindset. You don't beat anyone unless the buzzer goes off and you have more points. It's excusing mental lapses and not getting up in his team's junk and coaching them.

With any of a number of other coaches, and the talent the Suns have, you should have had a title by now.

agreed. good god i agree.

nowagimp

Reaction score

See avery johnsons mavs, very porous defense against the hornets. They said their defensive problems ended with nashs departure, but, perhaps it was really with Diops departure( so funny HAHAHA!). Now all they need to do is "concentrate" and commit to consistency according to avery(sounds like "just do it"). Any team with amare stoudemire playing major minutes as the '5' will have alot of points in the paint scored on them. Watching amare bite on fakes IN THE LANE from guys that are 10" shorter than him, is almost funny, almost. Amare doesnt know whether to run to avoid the foul, or try to block the shot. When you cmbine amare steve nash and LB on the floor at the same time, its very sad, very bad defense.

Reaction score
Spurs fan here and I hope I don't come off as an ass, but I completely agree with this. For all the hullabaloo about Horry hip check and the Stoudemire/Diaw suspensions last year, go watch the replay and see who throws the biggest hissyfit of them all and starts running out on the court first... it's D'Antoni. He actually had to be restrained by one of the refs. Is it any wonder that Stoudemire and Diaw followed? If the coach can't keep his composure, how can you expect your team to?

I will say, however, that it seems that D'Antoni has toned it down a little in this series. Not that it's helping.... or any of his adjustments are helping.... or any of his bizarre comments to the media are helping. Nonetheless, I still think he's a good coach, and you can't deny the impact of his offense league-wide, but at some point you need to take responsibility for yourself before you can get better. It's not always somebody else's fault.

nowagimp

Reaction score
can people stop saying Bell's injured. Dude looks like he has all season... old.

Look a little closer ... Bell played terrific defense against top '2's right before the sprain. I guess you have to have a bad sprain and be expected to defend a potent offensive player to understand. Yeah I know what they said to the media. And grant is fine too if you believe what they say. Nobody is ever injured in the NBA, unless its in the news, right? And LB played the playoffs last year with a shooting elbow needing surgery, but no one knew or suspected it it wasnt in the news after all.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand where the guy is coming from. I used to get ticked about the accolades John Stockton would get when KJ would light his ass up almost every time they went head-to-head.

bdictjames

Reaction score
I'm a Spurs fan and Im ashamed of this article. Pure classless, senseless post. The series ain't over until a team wins four games. There's never been a blowout in these past 2 games.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm a Spurs fan and Im ashamed of this article. Pure classless, senseless post. The series ain't over until a team wins four games. There's never been a blowout in these past 2 games.
wow! nice post.

thanks for not trolling. i hope future posts provide some more enlightenment.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, this should've been written post-series, if ever.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think that midget donkey guy wrote this article.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look a little closer ... Bell played terrific defense against top '2's right before the sprain. I guess you have to have a bad sprain and be expected to defend a potent offensive player to understand. Yeah I know what they said to the media. And grant is fine too if you believe what they say. Nobody is ever injured in the NBA, unless its in the news, right? And LB played the playoffs last year with a shooting elbow needing surgery, but no one knew or suspected it it wasnt in the news after all.
Considering LB's performance in this series, was it really the injury that was the problem last season?

nowagimp

Reaction score
Considering LB's performance in this series, was it really the injury that was the problem last season?

When it rains it pours, between LB, Hill and Bell, the spurs dont need to guard anybody out there. Or maybe since hill and bell are no threat, LB is easier to guard. Amares terrible 2 for 11, 3 TO showing in the second half was probably due to failure of the suns perimeter guys to show up, again. Plenty of blame to go around. When Diaw looks better than amare for the second half, things are pretty screwed up all around. Oberto grabbed ones less rebound than amare in 20 minutes (to amares 41). Amare just had nothing left in the second half, he was heaving bricks and turning the ball over on offense and waving at guys going by on D.

OP
OP
H

hsandhu

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bell is too damn small to guard ginobili. You need someone with a little more length, who can get around picks but still recover.

But that is the problem, w/ D'Antoni once you become one of his guys like bell did 2 years ago he will never try anybody else.

I think bell would be much better on parker and try g.g. or even boris (who played the perimeters better than I though he would when he matched up with them).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05